Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dante7 wrote: »
    I've had food from the Park Lane, or the other name they use on just eat. It's very good, but always works out very pricey for me when I add in the few extra little bits and pieces. The Clare Hall Chinese is decent value, but cash only.

I wonder was there something bogey going on with Yans. They closed down around the same time as a big Chinese grow house bust nearby.

If you're into Indian, the Indian curry club in Kilbarrarack is superb, but pricey. The Golden Tandoori in Raheny is decent enough and do a good value two meal special.

You're going to want to shoot me here, but when I want Indian I get it from Tescos!.. Seriously.

I love Indian, best I've had here was the Vindaloo from Namesta in Smithfield but now I get the Tescos and its brilliant. Their rice could be better but the curry itself is fantastic IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

You're going to want to shoot me here, but when I want Indian I get it from Tescos!.. Seriously.

I love Indian, best I've had here was the Vindaloo from Namesta in Smithfield but now I get the Tescos and its brilliant. Their rice could be better but the curry itself is fantastic IMO.

That's fair enough. Good Indian is rare in Dublin, and the Indian Curry club is the best I've had here. The golden tandoori is just typical, but good value with their meal deals.

Ham sandwiches tonight though :-) Happy Christmas to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No where beats TWH for chowder!.. That's a seriously good Chowder.

Have you tried the chowder in the Abbey Tavern in Howth? Amazing.

Must try this White House

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dante7 wrote: »
    That's fair enough. Good Indian is rare in Dublin, and the Indian Curry club is the best I've had here. .

Indian Curry club excellent for eat-in too, if you can look past the feral children outside the adjacent pub looking for people to buy them smokes and drink. We regularly travel out from town for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Good shout on the indian curry club in Kilbarrack SC. I been ordering from them for years. Tend to prefer Rice land in Raheny to Orient Express though.

• Advertisement

I'm curious about the India Curry Club now.

Kilbarrack SC is a place I rarely shop, I think its an awful place tbh but I'll be making my way over for an Indian soon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm curious about the India Curry Club now.

Kilbarrack SC is a place I rarely shop, I think its an awful place tbh but I'll be making my way over for an Indian soon :D

Thinking the same

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think its an awful place tbh

Never see any problems there tbh and I live close by. You get the guys standing outside the pub smoking but they never bother anyone other than maybe ill conceived 'humour'.

The odd few tracksuits hang around near the Chinese but seem to be moved on by security.

Loads of food places there with an indian, Chinese, pizza, fish and chips etc.

I've even been in the pub a couple of times. Not a place I would frequent or bring my wife but as a place for a few drinks with guys it is adequate.

Historically Swans Nest and Mount Olive were rough but they are fairly settled now with older residents and young working families.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Never see any problems there tbh and I live close by. You get the guys standing outside the pub smoking but they never bother anyone other than maybe ill conceived 'humour'.

The odd few tracksuits hang around near the Chinese but seem to be moved on by security.

Loads of food places there with an indian, Chinese, pizza, fish and chips etc.

I've even been in the pub a couple of times. Not a place I would frequent or bring my wife but as a place for a few drinks with guys it is adequate.

Historically Swans Nest and Mount Olive were rough but they are fairly settled now with older residents and young working families.

Rough wouldn't bother me, nor would lads hanging around. The shopping center there holds nothing for me that's all. One of the lads I coach in Judo manages the bar there but I've never been in it.

I'd just rather shop in Dunnes or Lidl's in Portmarnock (and Lidl in Baldoyle) or Tescos in Clarehall, honestly its nothing to do with snobbery.

My children both went to Ardscoil La Salle, since they left there I've had nothing to go back to the locality for. IMO its just not a nice shopping center that's all. Plus its not on my commute to anywhere these days.

But I'll be checking out that Indian Curry Club for a take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

sorry for bringing the subject back around to Campions/Olde Thatch

Went in tonight for a couple pints. Staff friendly as you like, both serving and at closing.

It's a bit bright all over, if they lowered the intensity of the bulbs a bit it'd feel more intimate. Me and the lads sat beside the fire in the bar, lovely atmosphere all night.

They do have a craft IPA on tap, which is to be welcomed for a newly opened pub in an area which will have a lot of young professionals, but they could do with an extended bottle/can craft range imo, take a walk down to the off licence beside the hilton and see what sells locally is what I'd do.

It's great to have a proper pub back in that area though, badly needed, and I'll visit as often as circumstances allow.

• Advertisement

oh one thing, on the name, seemingly before it was Campions, it was The Thatch.

They are looking into getting a new thatched roof on the place, we were told.

We've also decided that, because a person who looks after thatched roofs is called a "thatcher" that we are going to just call it "Maggie's" from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Two super idiotic posts removed. Maki and Bot need to check their heads before posting in this thread again.

Do not respond to this on thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Well that told you!

Anyway, is their chowder any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Do they show sports? I might take a wander down at lunch to watch a game and try out the chowder. Hilton is closer to me but never felt comfortable in there. Always had the feel of drinking in an airport bar without the upside of actually going on holiday.

Might be nice to have a quiet spot to enjoy a pint at the bar with a paper and some football or racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Yeah they show matches alright

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Collie D wrote: »
    Do they show sports? I might take a wander down at lunch to watch a game and try out the chowder. Hilton is closer to me but never felt comfortable in there. Always had the feel of drinking in an airport bar without the upside of actually going on holiday.

Might be nice to have a quiet spot to enjoy a pint at the bar with a paper and some football or racing.

Yeah they've all the sports on. I watched the match during the week down there and there was a decent crowd in. Good to see people making it a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

What price is a pint in the olde thatch

imme wrote: »

Fiver.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

humberklog wrote: »
    Fiver.

For a stout? Bit steep.

For a stout? Bit steep.

Yeah Guinness. Same price as Goblet and Sheds. I don't really know what average price in suburbs is as I'd mostly be either in town (dearer) or outside Dublin (cheaper).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

4.50 for my local in Dublin, not too far from Campions. 4.20 in my local in Tipperary.

is you local some kind of sports club?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

€4.50 is not uncommon in Dublin for a stout... Think my local is €4.20 until 4pm then €4.50 afterwards.

is you local some kind of sports club?

Nope, public bar.

It's 4.30 in Dalymount incidentally, at least at the end of last season.

Turbog is 3.50 in tolka!

Turbog is 3.50 in tolka!

I can't think of anything more disgusting. Tuborg isn't great either.

Will it still be that price in two years time?

Turbog is 3.50 in tolka!

Is it actually!? €4.50 for nicer pints too, think Guinness is less.

You're a Shels fan?

Is it actually!? €4.50 for nicer pints too, think Guinness is less.
    TBH, I drink craft usually, so the difference between Carlsberg, Heino and Turbog is nothing to me, so I go for the cheapest.

I see there'll be a small craft offering in the bar next season, they used to sell some of the O'Hara's range a few years ago, were selling Leann Follain for the same price as the normal stout and pale ale too, it was great. Be interesting to see what they stick in now.

You're a Shels fan?

er, yeah. You know me too, been around these parts for yonks under various names.

TBH, I drink craft usually, so the difference between Carlsberg, Heino and Turbog is nothing to me, so I go for the cheapest.

I see there'll be a small craft offering in the bar next season, they used to sell some of the O'Hara's range a few years ago, were selling Leann Follain for the same price as the normal stout and pale ale too, it was great. Be interesting to see what they stick in now.

er, yeah. You know me too, been around these parts for yonks under various names.

Musgraves will be the supplier so a few bits from them - Sam Adams and the a couple of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

imme wrote: »

Not THAT far down the road but Gibneys (place is a dirty kip) but was meeting friends earlier in the week. €6.10 for a pint of Heineken :mad:

Advertisement