Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

I see that there’s a planning permission sign on the ext wall of the pub but I haven’t had a chance to go over and read it yet. It might answer all our questions. I’m hoping it will be a pub, can’t see what else it could be and if they wanted rid, they could have demolished the whole lot when the houses were going up.
    I really hope the Pub goes ahead as the area needs a decent one , The Hotel bar is not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The Hotel bar is not great

Under statement of the century. The Hotel bar is sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

8rxRbCY.png

xpW1g6Xl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xpW1g6X.jpg

alll the info from the 5th July update is on the council website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Another bookies just what the world needs!

Very 2005

imme wrote: »
    Another bookies just what the world needs!

Very 2005

Campions ran a bookies from the bar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

This has now gone on appeal

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/301639.htm

Gaz wrote: »

I don't fully understand what that's about, but I do know that Campions car park used to flood in the winter.

The wall between the car park and college were often sandbagged during wet spells.

Maybe this has something to do with the new houses to the rear of the pub?.

https://theoldethatch.ie/

Opening very soon apparently

Great, the area needs a new pub but it'll never be the old Campions (disgruntled old regular here).

• Advertisement

Opening in a week apparently ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I do hope the beer selection is better than whats currently on those Taps...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Those look like the old tap heads, the current ones for most of those brands look different and not many places do Bass anymore! Also the Guinness tap is missing its handle.

Going by that twitter account, its a sister pub to the http://theoldspot.ie/

If you have a look at their drinks menu, it looks like all tastes will be well catered for

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hopefully with sightly more bar seating than the Old Spot has.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Noticed a lot of work going on in last couple of weeks. Looking forward to having a local that's local.

I'd a Christmas party in Nobel House last night, we'd hoped Campions would be opened this weekend (its not).

Went into The Hilton for a bar, they've done a seriously good revamp. I've previously hated The Hilton but this new makeover is really nice.

I find sitting at the bar in the Hilton is nice but anywhere else feels like a hotel, if you know what I mean.

Facebook page for Campions, ehh, The Olde Thatch is here
    https://m.facebook.com/oldethatch/

So by the looks of it they've retained the narrow bar but have knocked through on either end. From what was the small grocer shop to the right and the partition into the lounge all opened up now?
    Makes sense. Looks smart.

I find sitting at the bar in the Hilton is nice but anywhere else feels like a hotel, if you know what I mean.

Facebook page for Campions, ehh, The Olde Thatch is here
    https://m.facebook.com/oldethatch/

Its only opening up onto a FB cover photo and nothing else for me

• Advertisement

I get you.

I called in because I was still hungry after eating in The Noble House and sent the food back. Nice bar, but if they can't get something simple like chips and chicken wings right I wouldn't chance anything else ~ how do you send out half cooked chips and chicken, they try hide it under a tsunami of Franks hot sauce!.

But I liked their selection of beers, and as stated earlier the bar revamp is really nice.

Bit off topic Mak but what's Noble House like for a sit in meal?

I've had the take out and found it only average in quality but high on price.

humberklog wrote: »
    Bit off topic Mak but what's Noble House like for a sit in meal?

I've had the take out and found it only average in quality but high on price.

Apart from last night I hadn't eaten there in a few years, and I get my take away's from Park Lane in Clongriffin.

Its hard to answer your question because we were a party of 35 (or more) runners, so we've big appetites lol.

The meal was tasty. I had beef in black bean sauce with fried rice, and like I said when we left I went into the Hilton for food because I was still hungry. I'd been training earlier and still burning energy.

330ml bottles of Tiger beer were €6, so I got a bottle of wine but iirc the cheapest bottle of red was €23.

All that said no one had anything negative to say about their meals.

If I'm eating anywhere in the area its The White House in Baldoyle, if you like chowder there's no where comes close.

went once felt ripped off, never set foot again, food was poor. imo

Nice food but I find it very over priced if sitting in.
    Myself and the missus went a few months ago with the kids (5 & 2, so you can imagine how much they ate).
    Couple of starters, mains and sides and I had a few beers.
    Bill came to over €100.

The Italian restaurant in Clongriffin is lovely and great value. But if it needs to be Asian food, head somewhere else like the Jazz in Coolock.

I see 'The Old Thatch' signage has gone up, only my opinion but it looks cheap & tatty but I'm still looking forward to sampling what the new pub has to offer.

My regular since the closure of Campions has been TWH in Baldoyal, great selection of beers, wines and spirits and SUPER food. The bar at The Hilton surprised me but the food was dire so The Old Thatch has some competition in the area.

Did you get a photo of the sign? Interested to see what they have the place like.

White house is nice, but i find the atmosphere a little too quiet in it for having a pint. Have spent a few evenings at the bar but i like a bit more going on around me

Old thatch still waiting on ESB latest I heard.

I see 'The Old Thatch' signage has gone up, only my opinion but it looks cheap & tatty but I'm still looking forward to sampling what the new pub has to offer.

My regular since the closure of Campions has been TWH in Baldoyal, great selection of beers, wines and spirits and SUPER food. The bar at The Hilton surprised me but the food was dire so The Old Thatch has some competition in the area.

Passed by it yesterday. I hope they’ve put some money into the refurb. Still looks a bit tatty from the outside, only half the roof replaced with new tiles, color of building isn’t great, they should have kept the white to make it stand out. Also the old eternal lighting seems to be still up. I don’t want to be negative before it gets off its feet but first impressions are lasting impressions and it needs to attract the right crowd from the get go or else it won’t work.
    Other than that I am looking forward to seeing what they’ve done with the place and I hope it all works out for the new owners.

• Advertisement

site_owner wrote: »
    Did you get a photo of the sign? Interested to see what they have the place like.

White house is nice, but i find the atmosphere a little too quiet in it for having a pint. Have spent a few evenings at the bar but i like a bit more going on around me

I didn't get a photo, had I seen this earlier I'd have taken one on my way home from work.

I like TWH because its quiet, I usually take a book in for a read at the bar over a bowl of chicken wings and some fries. I drank in the bar once and didn't like it.

Advertisement