Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Business booming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

TCM wrote: »
    Business booming.

I said it ages ago, I don’t think they ever really intended for it to be anybody’s “local” and instead somewhere like the Cock and Bull where families etc will come during the day for food.

It has become something of a local for me anyway mostly out of convenience but still I think it’s a decent spot. There’s always an alright crowd in the bar, no roaring and shouting, but a bit of banter still..

Was down on Saturday too. And the Saturday before that, and probably next Saturday etc. Sure beats O’Tooles or the Beller for me anyway!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was there last night and it was fun. A few groups having a sing song and there was a nice easy feel to it.
    I work in the south city centre and in Howth and frequent Hogan's, Grogan's and Bloody Stream so I kinda like it the way it's shaping up- in that it's just a fairly straight forward boozer that's mostly catering to the new locals in the evening.

Staff are welcoming, locals are friendly and pint is grand at a fiver. There were a couple of the older regulars there last night too and they gave it the thumbs up.

It won't set the world on fire but that's fine with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Have been in for food a couple of times and it was really good. It's walking distance to where I live so we are keen to support it as much as possible. The area needs a local pub.

The only issue I have is there is no atmosphere in the food area at the back. Not even a bit of music in the background. A few candles on the tables would be nice too. Just dim the main lights a little as they would actually burn your retina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just back from my second visit this week, it was awful and I won't be back.

I went up intending to have a few pints with my Kindle, yea I know 'Billy no mates'.. But met neighbores and had a few pints, two observations.

The back lounge was freezing cold, and there was a healthy trade in sniff in the loo's. I've worked bar and doors for 25 years and I don't need this crap.

Went up tonight, and again the lounge was freezing. There was a table of ladies in the centre of the lounge all wrapped up in coats and scarfs. I was sat at the bar but had to move into the front bar because of the cold.. Mentioned it to one of the bar staff to be told 'Yea, I told them [the owners/managers I guess] that they need heating in there' ~ there's no bloody heating in the back lounge!.

Had three pints and swore never again. So disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I haven't bothered my hole either, and it's next door. The racecourse in Baldoyle have a nice new bar food menu. Reasonable and tasty. Not quite White House standard, but nearer to home for me. They also gave me a big jug of cordial free. I'll be back.

Dante7 wrote: »
    I haven't bothered my hole either, and it's next door. The racecourse in Baldoyle have a nice new bar food menu. Reasonable and tasty. Not quite White House standard, but nearer to home for me. They also gave me a big jug of cordial free. I'll be back.

You're missing nothing.

After being up a few nights ago and got a pint of Guinness for an even €5 I thought 'well maybe its not that bad' so went back this evening, the place is a sh*thole and I won't be returning.

It was so cold I actually left my hat and coat on in both the front bar and back lounge. I'm not paying someone for that sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

Why bother opening at all if going to be so half-ar$ed about it? It's a shame, as it could be a lovely bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

What's the racecourse like now? Haven't been in to it in years even though it's right across the road. Use to go in the odd Friday night or Sunday for a match but then they did it up and went bit skanky.
    Dante7 wrote: »

neris wrote: »
    What's the racecourse like now? Haven't been in to it in years even though it's right across the road. Use to go in the odd Friday night or Sunday for a match but then they did it up and went bit skanky.

I haven't been in it for pints in years. Was only in it for the food on Sunday afternoon, which was grand and quite reasonable.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »

I haven't been in it for pints in years. Was only in it for the food on Sunday afternoon, which was grand and quite reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Has Campions closed already I wonder? Shame if so.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Websites been whipped offline also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

something fishy there

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Passed by earlier today and it was still closed. No signs outside for food and the pub closed sign still up in the window. Any ideas what's going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Peculiar. You’d think after the effort and investment that went into the refurb they would have been prepared to open and give it time, building up trade etc. it’s been closed years literally so they shouldn’t have expected to be pumping out pints to beat the band from minute one. They’d have needed to establish a good name and reputation within the locality and then further afield. It’s a pity, I was liking the look of the refurb job for a kick off and looking forward to trying it. Be grateful if any of you locals or folks ‘in the know’ can give the low down here.

I'm not in the least bit surprised tbh.

But it can be salvaged, keep the sniff & dealing out would be a nice start. Decide on what of customer you want there, if you don't want scum & dealing this has to be rooted out from the start.

Paying bill's is a way to keep a bar open too.

I'm not in the least bit surprised tbh.

But it can be salvaged, keep the sniff & dealing out would be a nice start. Decide on what of customer you want there, if you don't want scum & dealing this has to be rooted out from the start.

Paying bill's is a way to keep a bar open too.

True, I wonder if the surrounding areas like Belmayne would have been housing the odd type of cretin who would be sniffing or indeed where they rolled up from.

I couldn’t give a fùck what anyone does in the privacy of their own gaff but bringing that shît and all that comes with it, into a new business that people have invested huge amounts of cash, effort and care into trying to get off the ground is just scumbag form.

Law abiding locals in the likes of Belmayne are I’m sure pissed off, looking forward to have a new, nice local boozer within walking distance, then... nothing.

The lack of heating certainly doesn’t seem to be an uneasy fix though... wtf is up with that.... builders should have been on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Apparently there's a few things on Facebook saying then went into liquidation.

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Apparently there's a few things on Facebook saying then went into liquidation.

A shame, to have invested in the place must have had them down to their last cent...hopefully with new owners whomever they will be can get it up and running again and make a successful go of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

The title of the thread needs a slight change to "closed again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

^^ Done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

According to the rumour mill,the lessor stopped payments due to unfinished work on the building. Owner got the hump and locked them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gavinmcg20

Some 'heavies' broke into the pub early last Wednesday morning to repossess the premises. From what I heard the developer may have violated planning, hence why the housing development behind the pub has stopped. A repossession notice was put up on the site about non payment of rent I saw that the other day.

The pub didn't go into liquidation, same guys own a few pubs around Dublin.

It was going down the pan from the off.

Nothing about it sat right with me.

gavinmcg20 wrote: »
    Some 'heavies' broke into the pub early last Wednesday morning to repossess the premises. From what I heard the developer may have violated planning, hence why the housing development behind the pub has stopped. A repossession notice was put up on the site about non payment of rent I saw that the other day.

The pub didn't go into liquidation, same guys own a few pubs around Dublin.

The housing thing looked even weird, such a big housing development in such close proximity to a pub, like how would that realistically got the go ahead, practically in the car park of a pub... don’t know the ins and outs but looked weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The whole area is poorly designed. I nearly bought a place around there and I'm so glad I didn't now. Not one decent pub anywhere near!

The whole area is poorly designed. I nearly bought a place around there and I'm so glad I didn't now. Not one decent pub anywhere near!

Well you are adding about 25-30 quid to your night i imagine in taxi fees if you are spinning into Malahide and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Strumms wrote:
    True, I wonder if the surrounding areas like Belmayne would have been housing the odd type of cretin who would be sniffing or indeed where they rolled up from.

Sniffing and dealing were going on in that pub long before Belmayne was even thought of. Plenty of big time dealers used to frequent the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There aren't many pubs in Dublin where people aren't doing coke in the jacks in fairness these days

Advertisement