Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Olde Thatch.

Kinda annoying that extra E. No photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

I don't think anyone local will be using the E, sure we'll still be calling it Campions anyway :-) looking forward to trying it out when it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

https://ibb.co/FWLbW7f pic this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

It’s opening early next week according to Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

humberklog wrote: »
    The Olde Thatch.

Kinda annoying that extra E. No photos.

That's just to give it an olde English touch, to try make it sound old and authentic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

highdef wrote: »
    That's just to give it an olde English touch, to try make it sound old and authentic.

Pity bona fide travellers from dublin city wont be entitled to a drink out of hours as you could in the rare oul times... or so my old dad tells me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

old thatch on facebook... https://www.facebook.com/oldethatch/

well not consistent...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Bar is open tonight

467976.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Shame there's no parking (yet?).

Completely rules it out for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

Shame there's no parking (yet?).

The Manager said on the Facebook page that there was parking around the back. I don’t know if there is or not or if it’s blocked off by the construction work going on at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Run up

Well I called in tonight, had 4 or 5 beers and was pleasantly surprised by the first member of staff to meet me, Antia (not Anita) one of the old bar staff!.

We'd a bit of craic about all the 'blow in's lol. She even remembered that I was a Carlsberg drinker, but I'm drinking Hop House 13 now.

The new owners have kept a lot of the old Campions, 99% of the old bar woodwork is still there, a part of the old snug/grocery is moved into the lounge. The fish tank is gone, but its blocked up by a wooden panel so the old customers would know where I'm talking about.

The bar is much bigger now, I knew one no one drinking there where I used to know everyone there.

Where there used to be a large screen and a TV in the lounge now there's only a TV.

Gone is the platter of Jacobs cream crackers, ham, cheese, onions, salt and pepper you could get for a fiver to be replaced with a food menu, its not cheap and I doubt I'll be dining there for anything more than a bowl of chicken wings.

The walls are orange and bare, but I was shown a some of the decorations which are going up, it'll look good.

Campions was my local haunt for almost 20 years, will I make it my regular haunt again ~ tbh I doubt it. I've established myself elsewhere, but Campions/Olde Thatch (silly name) should be well supported by the new residents of the area.

I'd a good night, mostly positive. The food would want to be exceptional for the prices they're charging but they've no competition in the area. Nobel House is good for Chinese and Thai, in Chinese and Thai portions (I was still hungry leaving there recently).

The Hilton bar is very nice, I think I prefer it to Campions but the food I was served last week was disgraceful. I sent back fries and wings, how hard is it to get fries and wings right!.

Worth a visit if you're a local. I think the bar in particular is going to be great, its got a good vib to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Did you notice if they had any craft beer?

I used to drink in Campions when I lived in Northern Cross (in fact, we knew each other in previous times :) ), and my old flatmate still lives in the area, so I might suggest we head down for a pint soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Food menu is online now, seems pricey alright.

https://theoldethatch.ie/food-menu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Gaz wrote: »
    Food menu is online now, seems pricey alright.

https://theoldethatch.ie/food-menu/
    Certainly overpriced. Probably a not too subtle attempt to keep the scruff out. No offence Gaz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Just had lunch here this afternoon and I was pleasantly surprised. The menu looks good and my food was decent but a bit expensive compared to similar local haunts, a large bowl of chicken wings and a pint of coke was €18 I think.

My sentiments coming away pretty much echo what Makikomi has said above (including Hilton sentiments, the food has gone to the dogs there). There is parking around the back, but theres only about 15 or so spaces and they're quite tight. Two cars had taken up two spaces each and the rest were full so I ended up having to park in the graveyard car park and walk up.

It was weird being back. I grew up in the place with my Da in the 90s/00s and haven't been in years, but I could still piece together the old place in my mind. Theres a good bit changed, and it needs finishing but I think it will turn out nice and should attract old and new custom. I'll definitely be returning with my Dad for a pint over the Christmas. They had a lovely fire going in the bar when I walked in at around 1 o'clock which was great.

I don't think the new owners are going for the same type of place Campions was, so I don't think it will be anyones local really - at least not for the type of people who used to frequent it, but I think it'll draw many old faces back for a nostalgic few pints. I might be wrong but I suspect they're going for a Cock and Bull type place instead. I'm only taking these musings from my own experience of the place at 1 o'clock on a Thursday afternoon, it might be a different story later in the evening/night, and I hope it is.

It definitely needs finishing. From the outside you wouldn't think it was open for business at all. I had various workmen walking by me and doing odd jobs around me while I ate. Nothing wrong with that in my view..but some people mightn't like it. Had they waited till January and gotten everything sorted inside and out, cosmetically etc it might have drawn more crowds (IMO anyway).

What was the crowd like last night @Makikomi?

Did you notice if they had any craft beer?

I used to drink in Campions when I lived in Northern Cross (in fact, we knew each other in previous times :) ), and my old flatmate still lives in the area, so I might suggest we head down for a pint soon.

I didn't notice tbh.

How do we know each other?.

What was the crowd like last night @Makikomi?

The bar had a good crowd, and a nice warm open fire going too. The lounge was quiet enough.

The area has changed a lot in the four years Campions has been closed. Where once Clarehall was the nearest housing estate for its regulars now its one of the furthest so it won't be relying on its old customers coming back.

Until their food has been reviewed by a few more I won't be testing the waters at those prices, I'll let someone else take the chance.

I drove past a few times today between 2 and 4 and it looked like there were a few people in enjoying themselves.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon going to try the food. Yeah quite pricey so I'm expecting quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

from on here years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

Jaysus, the last time I drank in Campions must have been nearly 30 years ago, when the last bus to town was 23:30! Must give it a go soon.

'Tis a grand local boozer. Good bar staff and nice pints of Guinness at a fiver is fine.

The owners have nothing to do with The Old Spot on the Southside and it's nothing like a Bull and Castle.

It reminds me of local pubs you'd find on the outskirts of Co.Meath towns.

On the plus side they serve a nice pint at a reasonable price, it's a grown ups pub and it's welcoming.

We were in the bar and only realised later in the night that the large lounge at the back was open and doing business. I'll be sticking with the bar as I thought the lounge had the layout and character of a parochial bingo hall.

The downsides are really just bedding in issues: It's lacking comfort and in time could do with a re-think regarding the choice of seating. 4 stern chairs around a 4 seater table is a bit GAA clubhouse.

The food is expensive. I'd a small (V.Small) bowl of wings for €9. They were over cooked and dowsed in Franks hot sauce (which I don't rate or like) and for 9 blips for 9 wings I'd be looking for a tad more creativeness and skill from the kitchen. However we also ordered the 8oz burger, it came with chips (€14) and it was one of the nicest burgers I've had and the quality justified the money.

We'd a nice night in it and it's great to have somewhere handy and friendly.

Also...the owners also own The Golden Ball in Kilternan. That's a very nice pub so I'm assuming that the present decor in Campions is a bit of a rush job to get it open before christmas...and a way of using up all the pots of Burnt Salmon paint on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I didn't notice tbh.

Just watch for the losers with the elbow patches on their jackets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Popped in for a pint tonight at closing. Jaysus, it's a very weird layout. I ended up behind the bar while moving from room to room. Just had a quick pint at the bar and it was grand. My sister was in for food during the week and said it was excellent. Does look a bit pricey though. The chowder is €8.50 and it would have to be very good to beat the chowder in the White House in Baldoyle which is €7.50. Great to have a pub in walking distance though.

Dante7 wrote: »
    The chowder is €8.50 and it would have to be very good to beat the chowder in the White House in Baldoyle which is €7.50. Great to have a pub in walking distance though.

No where beats TWH for chowder!.. That's a seriously good Chowder.

Had a pint in Campions tonight, slightly off topic but I used to get a decent Chinese take away from Yans in Belmayne, it closed a few months back and opened again this week as Dangs.

I've just had a chicken curry, rice, chips and chicken balls which were absolutely revolting, the chicken and rice went to the dogs. Best avoided, and not cheap either.

I should have got the wings in Campions but thought they were a little on the expensive side for what I seen people get.

'Tis TWH for me from now on, at least for food.

Ha! I had the chowder in the White House this evening and the girls had the kids fish and chips which was also great. Was very busy, but the staff were spot on as usual.
    Cheers for the heads up about Yans replacement. Yans was grand and great value. Their two meals for €18 was a steal. I generally use Orient Express in Kilbarrarack now. Their €20 mega box has to be seen to be believed.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Ha! I had the chowder in the White House this evening and the girls had the kids fish and chips which was also great. Was very busy, but the staff were spot on as usual.
    Cheers for the heads up about Yans replacement. Yans was grand and great value. Their two meals for €18 was a steal. I generally use Orient Express in Kilbarrarack now. Their €20 mega box has to be seen to be believed.

I'm raging I didn't call into TWH instead, I ALWAYS have Christmas eve at the bar with a bowl of wings and some fries, dammit.

Have you tried Parklane in Clongriffin for a take away?. Its my regular since Yans closed, its really nice and the staff are super friendly. Plus you get a free can with your meal!.

Seriously the meal from Dangs was disgusting. I just joked with my daughter here that sometimes you need a really bad take away like this to remind us that even the best take aways are bad for you.

It'll be awhile before the memory of this one fades and I'm back on the Chinese take aways again.

• Advertisement

I'm raging I didn't call into TWH instead, I ALWAYS have Christmas eve at the bar with a bowl of wings and some fries, dammit.

Have you tried Parklane in Clongriffin for a take away?. Its my regular since Yans closed, its really nice and the staff are super friendly. Plus you get a free can with your meal!.

Seriously the meal from Dangs was disgusting. I just joked with my daughter here that sometimes you need a really bad take away like this to remind us that even the best take aways are bad for you.

It'll be awhile before the memory of this one fades and I'm back on the Chinese take aways again.

I've had food from the Park Lane, or the other name they use on just eat. It's very good, but always works out very pricey for me when I add in the few extra little bits and pieces. The Clare Hall Chinese is decent value, but cash only.

I wonder was there something bogey going on with Yans. They closed down around the same time as a big Chinese grow house bust nearby.

If you're into Indian, the Indian curry club in Kilbarrarack is superb, but pricey. The Golden Tandoori in Raheny is decent enough and do a good value two meal special.

Advertisement