Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campions, now The Balgriffin Inn: The continuing saga thereof...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Would love it to re open as a pub too but I'm doubtful. Saw the work going on and it's hard to figure out what they're up to.

Now this is only 2nd hand info and from a while back too but I heard they sold the drinks license on.

I live near the Hilton but wouldn't ever bother with it.

Lots of d development around that area now, I think a pub would do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

humberklog wrote: »
    I live near the Hilton but wouldn't ever bother with it.

You're missing nothing. Its like having a beer in an airport lounge, absolutely awful.

You're missing nothing. Its like having a beer in an airport lounge, absolutely awful.

Oh I never bother with it but have tried it a few years back (think I recall yourself posting about it the same time).
    I remember one time an Indian barman pulling my pint straight off in one pour, took a fortnight to settle and looked like a Mary Quant black and white dres when it eventually did. Tried to charge me 5.80 for it too.*tried*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Then you'll need bouncers on the door, then people will moan about that and since the old lounge was frequented by travelers (and a mix of locals from Darndale) you'll get the usual claims of discrimination.

And in fairness although the crowd in the old lounge was a bit rough, there was rarely an angry word exchanged.

I know the three brothers (Maurice, Fay and Dave) are out of the business now, and their kids didn't want it. Plus there's plans for development on the land, I doubt we'll have Campions back again.

I'm from Darndale myself and worked there in the late 90s while doing my leaving cert in belcamp, I am awful with names but I remember one of the doormen had a lovely opel calibra coupe, I never seen any rows in my time there and the only fella who was bared permanently was a local dipso called Frank something who threw himself over pub furniture and got as many claims as possible, he was always going around on crutches and wearing neckbraces etc.

Hopefully the bar makes a return as some day soon, much missed in my extended family

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Sounds like Frank Gallagher.....:p
    davycc wrote: »
    I'm from Darndale myself and worked there in the late 90s while doing my leaving cert in belcamp, I am awful with names but I remember one of the doormen had a lovely opel calibra coupe, I never seen any rows in my time there and the only fella who was bared permanently was a local dipso called Frank something who threw himself over pub furniture and got as many claims as possible, he was always going around on crutches and wearing neckbraces etc.

Hopefully the bar makes a return as some day soon, much missed in my extended family

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

At least The Newtown House is still open

davycc wrote: »

I only started drinking there around mid 2000's. I used to drink in the lounge, but then moved into the bar.. I used to love looking at the RTE Wednesday movie in the bar.

Loved the place

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Campions should be reopening in about 4-5 months, work has already started

Buckfast W wrote: »

It doesn't take 4-5 months to fit out a bar, even if that includes putting in a kitchen/dining area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was still licenced as of last year, licence hasn't been published as renewed yet but if you are altering the floor area you need to get a declaratory order from the district court for that so it would explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Where did you hear that. Hopefully it's correct

retalivity wrote:
    All of them, if you think about it.

It's definitely opening, my friends da is an architect they got the contract and drew up the plans, apparently there knocking a wall or 2 inside and are taking off part of the gabel wall because there's a road going in at the back, there also building 70 odd houses in behind, 4-5 months is what I was told but could be sooner, as far as I know the bar should stay the same, dunno what the story is with upstairs though, dunno if there knocking through any of the bedrooms

Hopefully you're right. The area needs a decent bar, just a pity it'll never be the old Campions.

(Hope there's a dart board)

That's great news Buckfast.

The old Campions never really attempted to tap into the new residential crowd that popped up in the last 8years+.
    I know as a blow in to the area it kinda felt too cliquesh. It wasn't an unfriendly shop but nor was it welcoming.

I'd rather see a new broom approach that would make it a more friendly environment for new customers. There's plenty to tap into now regards new local residents especially with that new apartment block open across the road.

New owners would now have the critical mass of new residents to start the slate clean.

humberklog wrote:
    The old Campions never really attempted to tap into the new residential crowd that popped up in the last 8years+. I know as a blow in to the area it kinda felt too cliquesh. It wasn't an unfriendly shop but nor was it welcoming.

humberklog wrote:
    That's great news Buckfast.

humberklog wrote:
    I'd rather see a new broom approach that would make it a more friendly environment for new customers. There's plenty to tap into now regards new local residents especially with that new apartment block open across the road.

humberklog wrote:
    New owners would now have the critical mass of new residents to start the slate clean.

Would agree with all that, a new pub in the area is badly needed, hopefully they turn it into a Cock & Bull type place with good food and good beer.

I think the Campion family are still running the pub not 100% sure, I'll ask my friend who took out the contract

Two young lads from Wicklow have taken over Campions, the Kavanaghs

Yeah I was wondering as the whole site including pub was in the bundled sale. I think Young's were auctioneers.
    5 acres!

Would be good if it was open for the World Cup.

Might be fun if some Boardies wanted to do a looksee on it when it opens?

Pints for the world cup, count me in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

Wonder would that be Greg Kavanagh, the multi millionaire developer from Wicklow who has also bought Clonskeagh House and The Globe Bar? 🀔

Bird123 wrote:
    Wonder would that be Greg Kavanagh, the multi millionaire developer from Wicklow who has also bought Clonskeagh House and The Globe Bar? ðŸ€â€

I think it might be, I heard the 2 lads were minted alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 wills185

I'm wondering if anyone knows the situation with Campions at Balgriffin.

I went there for a pint on Wednesday night only to discover it locked up, and it hasn't been open since.

Anyone know what the situation is with it?.

It’s back open in April this year the beachcomber bought it can’t wait

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bird123

wills185 wrote: »
    It’s back open in April this year the beachcomber bought it can’t wait

The Beachcomer?? Now you’re really confusing us! Lol
    Either way, I don’t care who owns it as long as it’s decent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

anyone know what kind of pub they are opening? will they do food?

Passed it by a few times this week and there's defo some construction (and not demolition) work being done on the rear of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭monicafussy

Any updates on when new pub will be opening?

Maybe when they have the houses finished, pass by it a lot and although the front still needs some work there's a newly built extension at the back so hopefully soon

Drove by today , The new builds are quite close to the Pub , I am wondering if it will ever actually open now

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

Drove by today , The new builds are quite close to the Pub , I am wondering if it will ever actually open now
    As a pub, somehow I doubt it.

chinwag wrote:
    As a pub, somehow I doubt it.

The original plans that were drawn up were for the houses at the back and the redevelopment of Campions as a pub

• Advertisement

I really hope the Pub goes ahead as the area needs a decent one , The Hotel bar is not great

Advertisement