Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Unpunished fouling is the scourge of hurling and it's getting frustrating to watch. It can't be right that we see the team that fouls gaining an advantage as we invariably see in most matches and definitely saw on Saturday. Billy Ryan getting repeatedly fouled in the corner is just one incident of many that come to mind. Result - Wexford get a relieving sideline. I'm not saying that KK are blameless but they were definitely more sinned against than sinners in that match. Apply the advantage rule to let the game flow by all means but call it back for the free if none accrues.
    The Limerick v Tipp match was much better marshalled albeit not perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Village87 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour lately that Richie Reid told Cody where to go over the weekend and walked off the panel.

Fully expected that to happen.

Fingers crossed for C Buckley but I have my doubts he will hurl again for Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Grats wrote: »
    Fully expected that to happen.

Fingers crossed for C Buckley but I have my doubts he will hurl again for Kilkenny.

Because he was poor on Saturday or did something else happen?

Because he was poor on Saturday or did something else happen?

Struggled from the off, limped off and didn't look comfortable afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭kk1970

Village87 wrote: »
    I heard a rumour lately that Richie Reid told Cody where to go over the weekend and walked off the panel.

I heard that as well, he was never going to get in though.

• Advertisement

Corrigible wrote: »
    Unpunished fouling is the scourge of hurling and it's getting frustrating to watch. It can't be right that we see the team that fouls gaining an advantage as we invariably see in most matches and definitely saw on Saturday. Billy Ryan getting repeatedly fouled in the corner is just one incident of many that come to mind. Result - Wexford get a relieving sideline. I'm not saying that KK are blameless but they were definitely more sinned against than sinners in that match. Apply the advantage rule to let the game flow by all means but call it back for the free if none accrues.
    The Limerick v Tipp match was much better marshalled albeit not perfect.

Brian Gavin in his Examiner column specifically mentioned Billy Ryan been fouled. Hopefully Ryan learns from it and gives them their answer in the Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

kk1970 wrote: »

Dissapointed to hear that about richie.i thought it was a little suprising he didn't make the 26 last saturday but i can see how he would of being dissapointed,everyone wants make the panel but i thought maybe with tj being captain he might of stuck it out for the next few weeks.Its a pity for him that he couldn't make it but he was tried in a good few positions and unfortunately for him his after slipping down behind cleere and morrissey in defence and murphy and maher in mid field and sheehan,blanchfield and donnelly are ahead in attack.If it is true best of luck to him in the future and thanks for his time.A fine club hurler im sure he'll have plenty of good days with the shamrocks.
    Heard this evening we're in trouble with buckley alright and we'll be lucky to see him back this year.I dunno how concrete this is and I'm sure the boro lads will know more.Hopefully we can get delaney back in the next few weeks especially if buckley is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

kk1970 wrote: »

Richie Reid is 100% currently still a member of the panel

Noddy33 wrote: »

Glad he is sticking it out i see how he wouldnt be happy but competition is good and we have a decent panel now and I think the longer we stay in this the better we will get.
    Also the u20 match fixed for next Wednesday is now on Monday which makes sense with mullen and a few others on the panel.Hopefully a few can put their hand up.brassil looks good and eoin cody and ciarian brennan are both good inside fowards something we've being lacking the last few years

Noddy33 wrote: »

Delighted to hear that although I could fully understand had he walked. With TJ captain I'm glad Richie is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

brookville wrote: »
    Glad he is sticking it out i see how he wouldnt be happy but competition is good and we have a decent panel now and I think the longer we stay in this the better we will get.
    Also the u20 match fixed for next Wednesday is now on Monday which makes sense with mullen and a few others on the panel.Hopefully a few can put their hand up.brassil looks good and eoin cody and ciarian brennan are both good inside fowards something we've being lacking the last few years

Anyone have info on the panel makeup. From what I remember this minor team was a little unlucky against Galway in the semi final with a blatant square ball for the winning goal not being given. I think the same group beat Laois by a large margin so it would be no surprise to see Mullen "rested" for this one.

Michael Carey is another I'd be interested in seeing playing here. I think he has all the natural attributes to make it.

Anyone have info on the panel makeup. From what I remember this minor team was a little unlucky against Galway in the semi final with a blatant square ball for the winning goal not being given. I think the same group beat Laois by a large margin so it would be no surprise to see Mullen "rested" for this one.

Michael Carey is another I'd be interested in seeing playing here. I think he has all the natural attributes to make it.
    I'm not certain of the make up but if say theres a few from ballycallan all good hurlers aswell.tommy Ronan,Jesse Roberts and sean ryan anyway.Few from the shamrocks mason in goal,cody,think evan shefflin,few from the comer college team that got to the final this year...Hopefully we can go well this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Comerman

I'm not certain of the make up but if say theres a few from ballycallan all good hurlers aswell.tommy Ronan,Jesse Roberts and sean ryan anyway.Few from the shamrocks mason in goal,cody,think evan shefflin,few from the comer college team that got to the final this year...Hopefully we can go well this year

John Dowd and James Brennan from Comer

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kkclubhurling

I know following are all on the panel

Goalkeepers
    Dean Mason
    Sean Manogue

Defenders
    Conor Murphy
    Mikey Butler
    Tommy Ronan
    Conor Flynn
    Luke Murphy
    John Dowd
    James Brennan
    Mikey Carey
    Conor Heary
    Diarmuid Phelan

Midfielders/ Forwards

Evan Shefflin (has been mf with this team)
    Eoin O Shea
    Jim Ryan
    David Blanchfield
    Ciaran Brennan
    Ross Whelan
    Jack Kelly
    Sean Ryan
    Niall Brassil
    Adrian Mullen
    Jordan Molloy
    Owen Wall
    Eoin Cody

I’m sure there’s more but I know those guys are all definitely there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Any more news on Cillian Buckley, Conor Delaney or Waltar Walsh

Any more news on Cillian Buckley, Conor Delaney or Waltar Walsh

Id say we'll do well to see buckley or deegan next weekend.James maher will hopefully be close to starting.Im a bit baffled as to why hogan dint get a run last weekend especially after coming on the previous week.Wally clearly wasnt a 100 percent hopefully the 2 week break will help him.
    like most of the games so far we will probably see a few changes for this one we could see aylward or cleere start.davie will set out to get his matchups right like foley on wally and hanlon on tj so what teams do to counter this is take the defender out of his comfort zone i don't think o hanlon or foley would be as comfortbale on the full back line.We have the option of colin and mullen on the half foward line to win puck outs.
    I thought we done alot right last week and we're finally getting to grips with the sweeper system but we weren't clinical enough when we were on top.Looking foward to next sunday it should be a good day of hurling with a big crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Id say we'll do well to see buckley or deegan next weekend.James maher will hopefully be close to starting.Im a bit baffled as to why hogan dint get a run last weekend especially after coming on the previous week.Wally clearly wasnt a 100 percent hopefully the 2 week break will help him.
    like most of the games so far we will probably see a few changes for this one we could see aylward or cleere start.davie will set out to get his matchups right like foley on wally and hanlon on tj so what teams do to counter this is take the defender out of his comfort zone i don't think o hanlon or foley would be as comfortbale on the full back line.We have the option of colin and mullen on the half foward line to win puck outs.
    I thought we done alot right last week and we're finally getting to grips with the sweeper system but we weren't clinical enough when we were on top.Looking foward to next sunday it should be a good day of hurling with a big crowd.
    O'Hanlon was 1st choice full back 2011-12 and 2014-16 , took 2013 out to go travelling. Has only played at 6 sense Davy took over.

Think both games senior and u17 at 50/50 next week, dare I say it wouldn't be shocked to see another draw.

O'Hanlon was 1st choice full back 2011-12 and 2014-16 , took 2013 out to go travelling. Has only played at 6 sense Davy took over.

Think both games senior and u17 at 50/50 next week, dare I say it wouldn't be shocked to see another draw.

The last thing both teams need is a draw.Our minors were lucky earlier this year against ye.I know matt is comfortable full back but the point i was making maybe if tj was to drag him out of center back into corner back his presence would be missed cause I thought last week apart from doing a good job he also set up attacks.He done something similar to joe canning i think a few years ago.Some intresting match ups to look foward to and what teams have learned from each other

The last thing both teams need is a draw.Our minors were lucky earlier this year against ye.I know matt is comfortable full back but the point i was making maybe if tj was to drag him out of center back into corner back his presence would be missed cause I thought last week apart from doing a good job he also set up attacks.He done something similar to joe canning i think a few years ago.Some intresting match ups to look foward to and what teams have learned from each other

I think we will definitely see TJ in around the square early on. If Hanlon got turned at all in the corner there will be goal chances to be had. Himself and Fennelly have an understanding so keeping them close to one another can only be a good thing. Our other forwards need to step up regardless as their contribution up to this point just hasn't been enough, Mullens display V's Wexford being the exception.

I really hope Deegan is fit. I'm assuming it was an ankle ligament issue which might be just a case of bruising and swelling. Nothing can be done for this except time unfortunately so 2 weeks might be just too soon. I'm sure if it was anything more serious we would have heard about it at this stage. Buckley I'd be less confident off seeing.

agree regarding the draw incidentally replay would probably be in thurles as there's concerts on in 2 weeks time. Yeah it will be a real cat and mouse with match ups properly easier for cody rather Davy as about 13 of our team seems to be well settled with 3 or 4 players veying for the final 2 places, ye have used 20 starting players in the 4 games and that doesn't include the likes of donnelly and blanchfield. Biggest learning from us from the game in Wexford park is to how to use possession smartly and try not to let Padraig Walsh have the influence of last week. I was at the u17 game back in may, looked like 2 even teams although both have a few changes in personal from that game, all the games involving these 2 and Dublin were decided by 3 points or less. With lads that age theres always a bit of inconsistency and the unknown element of how the young lads deal with playing in croke park.

• Advertisement

I think we will definitely see TJ in around the square early on. If Hanlon got turned at all in the corner there will be goal chances to be had. Himself and Fennelly have an understanding so keeping them close to one another can only be a good thing. Our other forwards need to step up regardless as their contribution up to this point just hasn't been enough, Mullens display V's Wexford being the exception.

I really hope Deegan is fit. I'm assuming it was an ankle ligament issue which might be just a case of bruising and swelling. Nothing can be done for this except time unfortunately so 2 weeks might be just too soon. I'm sure if it was anything more serious we would have heard about it at this stage. Buckley I'd be less confident off seeing.
    taught deegans issue was with his knee not the ankle, I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭blackcard

Surprised that Sean Ryan is not starting

blackcard wrote: »
    Surprised that Sean Ryan is not starting

I thought the same myself but to be honest it looks a decent team.i think we have a full hand to pick from so it must of being tough on management to pick the 24 let alone the 15.
    This is a game i expect us to win although it won't be taken for granted but i think last year we were a little unlucky not to get a match before playing galway so hopefully this can set us up for a better crack off galway.We look to have a good balance to the team and a few dangerous fowards on the bench.I look foward to see how mikey carey,shefflin,brassil and cody go tomor night.James bergin has being very good for clara.Blanchfield broke into the bridge team last year and has gone from strenght to strenght but im suprised he got in ahead of conor murphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Well done to the Senior Camogie team on humiliating Wexford.
    Another great result on the back of beating Galway last weekend. They are flying.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Upper tier tickets available for all 3 stands so must expecting over 50 thousand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Upper tier tickets available for all 3 stands so must expecting over 50 thousand

Talk of 60thousand ish apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Where are the Upper Hogan for sale, Billy?

Tickets.ie have only Upper Cusack for sale so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭laneykin

Is anywhere showing the Under 20s game tonight? TG4 had great coverage of the competition last year but don't see anything on there for tonight.

• Advertisement

Where are the Upper Hogan for sale, Billy?

Tickets.ie have only Upper Cusack for sale so far.
    they were up earlier but down again now, probably trying to fill Cusack 1st as most visible on television. Cusack upper tickets seem to be good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

laneykin wrote: »
    Is anywhere showing the Under 20s game tonight? TG4 had great coverage of the competition last year but don't see anything on there for tonight.

Not on KCLR either.

Not on KCLR either.

Kilkenny GAA on twitter are doing updates. Half time score KK 2-08 to Laois 0-06 so going well so far

Took a while to get going but turned things on in the 2nd half.Its good yo get the win and a game before Galway.We were cold last year so hopefully this game will bring us on.Mullen very good tonight.shefflin with a couple of long range scores.Eoin cody also dangerous.The big test now is against galway it should be a good match.

What was the score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

What was the score

Kilkenny 5-21 Laois 0-10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

laneykin wrote: »
    Kilkenny GAA on twitter are doing updates. Half time score KK 2-08 to Laois 0-06 so going well so far

Final score: KK 5-21, Laois 0-10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

What a pity for the two sets of supporters that the minor match is on so early they will have to leave there respective Counties early.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭blackcard

Laois played with a sweeper which meant that KK had a spare man at the back. Adrian Mullen wasn't on the ball a lot but scored 2 good goals and brought a good save from the Laois keeper
    Eoin Cody was the next best forward getting 4 points from play. The best part of Kilkenny was that the goals were well worked. Aaron Brennan, Ciaran Brennan and Sean Ryan looked lively when they came on and I would like to see a couple of these start the next day. Evan Shefflin got 3 points from play. Hard to judge the backs as they had a spare man but Conor Flynn looked good to me. The last 10 minutes was shooting practice for KK but up to that they had hit 11 wides and will have to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Comerman

Thought Flynn was good on the ball too and showed a good turn of speed. Brasil and Shefflin got on a lot of ball and used their head when in possession (most of the time) and both covered some amount of ground.

Work to do no doubt but it was a no win situation tonight we were expected to win.Eoin cody is very stylish and could have a great future.galway as always will be strong and may be even with their seniors finished it might work better for them.When is the galway match fixed for i thought I seen it was next week would that be right so close after the leinster senior final?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Garyp88

Given how limerick have integrated alot of youngsters into the panel last year at young ages does anyone know if any of these lads have been in and around the seniors bar the names that Stick out? And should they be introduced at an early stage or play through the age groups in the senior set up like Cork with Coleman, fitzgibbon and now Dalton and limerick with the likes of Hayes etc

Garyp88 wrote: »
    Given how limerick have integrated alot of youngsters into the panel last year at young ages does anyone know if any of these lads have been in and around the seniors bar the names that Stick out? And should they be introduced at an early stage or play through the age groups in the senior set up like Cork with Coleman, fitzgibbon and now Dalton and limerick with the likes of Hayes etc

Cody has spoken in the past about his preference for players having a proper "education" at underage level before their introduction to the senior ranks. Obviously there are some exceptions such as Mullen who is physically ready to compete at senior inter county level.

This team does have a few good finishers whom will all hopefully serve us well in the years to come. The Galway game will be an interesting and season defining clash for this team whom in my opinion were harshly done by an incorrect square ball decision when they clashed in an AI semi final at minor level. Hopefully they can avenge that.

A Few stats from game
    N Brassil 0-7 (5f); A Mullen 2-0; S Donnelly 1-1; E Cody 0-4; S Ryan, J Bergin 1-0 each; E Shefflin 0-3; E O'Shea, C Brennan 0-2 each; D Blanchfield, A Brennan 0-1 .
    D Mason; T Ronan, C Flynn, M Butler; C Heary, M Carey, D Blanchfield; J Dowd, E Shefflin; E O'Shea, N Brassil, A Mullen; S Donnelly, J Bergin, E Cody. Subs: A Brennan for Dowd (43), C Brennan for Bergin (49), S Ryan for Mullen (53), J Brennan for Heary (53), J Molloy for O'Shea (55).

Eoin Cody was the best player on view. He was involved in most, if not all, of the five goals and his work rate and skill shown were outstanding throughout. Plenty of skillful forwards but backs looked dodgy where a big improvenemt is required against Galway on Wednesday of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Grats wrote: »
    Eoin Cody was the best player on view. He was involved in most, if not all, of the five goals and his work rate and skill shown were outstanding throughout. Plenty of skillful forwards but backs looked dodgy where a big improvenemt is required against Galway on Wednesday of next week.

Cody had an excellent first half and was most definitely the most dangerous looking forward throughout and along with Eoin O'Shea who got through a mountain of work they impressed me most. Thought Conor Flynn was very good too and for a big man he has some serious pace. Tommy Ronan was far too rash with some of his tackles at times and and given that both him and Butler are small in stature it would def be an area you would think the Galway team might target that in the full back line next day out.

Carey was the spare man and covered the ground reasonably well but needs to add urgency to his game. At times he was far too lackadaisical and ended up getting caught in possession or first touch let him down but he def has the hurling in him to make it. Mullen took goals well and had few nice touches/passes but just glad he seem to come through the game injury free although was given a ice pack i would assume that was just precuationary. Brasil has incredible pace and is someone I would like to see given a proper run for seniors but reckon he will be doing extremely well to force his way into to team at this time of the year.

Galway match is fixed for th e 3rd of July according to Leinster GAA website....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 157 ✭✭Hawkeye6

Under-20's first half was only ok.
    Second half very good and some great long range point scoring combined with well created and finished goals.
    What I did like was the players were confident enough to play through the lines from the short puck out.
    Only twice can I remember it breaking down. Once in the first half when Conor Heary ran into trouble and once in the second when Mikey Carey got caught. But overall it was good to watch the slick handpassing. DJ's stint with the minor footballers obviously transferring into a more modern style of moving the ball for hurling. Dare I say Limerick-style. Short passing out of defence followed by long range point scoring.
    Tommy Ronan was lucky that Mikey Butler got yellow card in the wrong in the first half. Mullen was at half pace only.
    Interesting that only one player from a junior club on the 24 and 13 from senior on the starting 15.

Buff Egan has good videos of the game up on Snapchat for anyone that wants to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 takeyourpoint

Good win for the U20s last night – job done but not without work to be done before the Galway game. We seem to have an abundance of forwards but the backs look a little suspect and will have to improve a lot against better opposition. Junior club players are obviously considered not good enough for intercounty hurling. Where will the Galway match be played?

Hawkeye6 wrote: »
    Under-20's first half was only ok.
    Second half very good and some great long range point scoring combined with well created and finished goals.
    What I did like was the players were confident enough to play through the lines from the short puck out.
    Only twice can I remember it breaking down. Once in the first half when Conor Heary ran into trouble and once in the second when Mikey Carey got caught. But overall it was good to watch the slick handpassing. DJ's stint with the minor footballers obviously transferring into a more modern style of moving the ball for hurling. Dare I say Limerick-style. Short passing out of defence followed by long range point scoring.
    Tommy Ronan was lucky that Mikey Butler got yellow card in the wrong in the first half. Mullen was at half pace only.
    Interesting that only one player from a junior club on the 24 and 13 from senior on the starting 15.[/quot

Four or five clubs provided the bulk of players for the U20's but then you look at this year's minor team and there is a nice mix of senior, intermediate and junior clubs represented there. These things generally change from year to year.

The best players should be picked regardless of club in my opinion. I do like it when there are as many as clubs as possible represented though as it says a lot about the strength of depth of club hurling in the county. I don't buy the argument that playing junior should be an impediment to making a county team. There is little between the top of junior and most intermediate teams and the same then between the cream of inter and the bulk of senior. There is a gap though between the top teams in senior and the rest IMO.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement