Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I really need to play Blue Shift and Opposing Force

Blue Shift is pretty good, OP, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

5uspect wrote: »
    Blue Shift is pretty good, OP, meh.

Yeah wasn't mad about Opposing force myself. The guns were cool alright but the campaign felt as if they just made the story stretch out by making the enemies harder to kill. Played Blue Shift years afterwards and actually enjoyed it far more that I expected, despite having less new stuff (apart from higher detailed models).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Falthyron wrote: »
    Half-life 2: Blueshift. Coming 2015. :P

Blue Shift and Opposing force were both brilliant. We have to find out what happened to Barney!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    sheehy83 wrote: »
    Blue Shift and Opposing force were both brilliant. We have to find out what happened to Barney!

Hes in episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hes in episode 1.

Although I'm pretty sure he died multiple times in the first Half Life. Especially by being killed by the big tentacles.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Hes in episode 1.

Ah yeah know that but he's story was kinda left hanging as far as I can remember, He didn't die but no appearance in Ep 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Although I'm pretty sure he died multiple times in the first Half Life. Especially by being killed by the big tentacles.

And being bludgeoned to death by a random crowbar for his ammo, once he'd outlived his usefulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Would be awesome to see some crossover between Valve franchises.

For example, Gordon could find himself in Aperture and weilding the Portal Gun for a segment of the game. Very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Dayum wrote: »
    Would be awesome to see some crossover between Valve franchises.

For example, Gordon could find himself in Aperture and weilding the Portal Gun for a segment of the game. Very cool.

In Portal 2 they mention a boat-yard where some sort of "time-travel experiment" went wrong. Later, you find an empty ship-port, with life-savers scattered around that say "Borealis."

HL2 - EP3 concept art has the Borealis in it http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/File%3aBorealis_Advisors.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The end of HL2 Episode 2 has Freeman charged with locating the Borealis, an Aperture Science research vessel.
    With both protagonists of Portal and HL being "suspended" for in indeterminate amount of time we can guess they are now concurrent.
    This leads one to suggest both Portal and HL 3 will be more tightly wound together in terms of story.
    But the delays in the latter are getting utterly ridiculous, I don't think it's over hyped, not like Duke 4 ever, at least we aren't being constantly teased by game shots and engine changes, Valve are playing this very close to their chests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

OSI wrote: »
    Portal and Half-Life share the same universe. Aperture and Black Mesa were competing science research companies. There's plenty of references to Black Mesa in both Portals. Heck they even make a joke about Black Mesa in one of the endgame songs.

Maybe you'll find someone else to help you...
    Maybe black mesa?
    That was a joke! Haha. Fat chance!

HL2 is supposed to be only about 20 years after HL.
    Portal 2 is something like 100 years or more after Portal.
    I don't think they'll be concurrent unless they release a portal game on another story line.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,857 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You'd almost think they wanted Episode 3 to be the last game. I mean they cut the Portal story arc after Portal 2 - gave it enough closure at least that nobody will be screaming en masse for a direct sequel.

Either way Source 2 rumors are good. Source is now over 10 years old as of June, and while it still powers some big titles (like Titanfall) and while the engine holds up well, I think it's probably the case that they can think of some things they would prefer to add into the core of the new engine. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Titanfall is based on Source? Blimey, it scrubs up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sarky wrote: »
    Titanfall is based on Source? Blimey, it scrubs up well.
    That's what happens when you rewrite the renderer, audio, networking and input systems. It's like the old chestnut of modern CoD titles still being built with the Quake 3 engine, it means absolutely nothing when you rewrite so many sub-systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Source 2.0 has a lot to live up to.

Fantastic when the original launched but now that we have the Cryengine and Frostbite, is it capable of doing what HL3 needs it to do? I seen a couple of pretty pictures of (supposedly) L4D3 pics running on it and even though it looked nice and all....Source 2.0 needs to be groundbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I can feel it in my waters:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

piss off!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Jumbo!!! I'm hugely disappointed in you, there will be words...

Valve complete pack is €23.24 on steam at the moment for anyone missing major elements of the set.
    http://store.steampowered.com/sub/29197/

This is the second time recently that this has been on sale with substantial discount. I think that it implies an upcoming addition to the pack - i.e., a new release and hence no deep discounts (or possibly availability; it disappears sometimes) for a good while...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Monotype wrote: »
    BBC
    Counterfeit Xbox One makers charged in US and Australia....

Stephen Totilo reported that as well as having tried to help sell copies of the Xbox One kit, the Perth-based man - who used the nickname SuperDae - had also claimed to have played pre-release versions of Sleeping Dogs 2 and Homefront 2.

The man is reported to have added that he had searched for Half Life 3 on Valve's servers, but had not managed to find anything.
    The dream is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I think Valve would have learned their lesson from the HL2 leak.

You can be guaranteed that any database containing that data is not on an external network accessible by a hacker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The dream is over.

I wouldn't worry about it. We have references to HL3 in some leaked Valve archives since 2011. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

hl3 should just never come out. it can never live up to expectations it will have now, after 10 years since episode 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Gabe has already confirmed they are working on source 2.0 so you can bet your life HL3 will be the first game to showcase the engine followed shortly by Left 4 Dead 3.

Good things come to those who wait.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

BloodBath wrote: »
    Gabe has already confirmed they are working on source 2.0 so you can bet your life HL3 will be the first game to showcase the engine followed shortly by Left 4 Dead 3.

Good things come to those who wait.

Perhaps we will see an announcement next month to mark the 10 year anniversary of Half Life 2?

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was only thinking about this thread yesterday. Valve seriously need to buy that cover art so they can use it on the proper game.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Damn it... got me so excited and then I clicked... :'( GAAAAAAAABEEEE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    tumblr_mocd353Kbl1suwczbo1_500.jpg

I wondered what effing numpty awoken this thread again with a click bait post.
    Never thought it'd be you Retr0, never thought it'd be you :(

Advertisement