Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    Falthyron wrote: »

Valve have a guaranteed cash-cow. They have something that will make more money than some of the biggest annual releases combined. They could release absolute garbage with Half-life 3 on the front cover and still sell more than GTAV (probably), but they don't.

You dont actually believe any of that, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

"March 3rd at 3pm...That's a lot of threes
    The scheduling for Valve's presentation does look a little suspect, doesn't it?

Out of the entire show, Valve chose to host one of its presentations on the third day of the third month of the year at 3 pm. That's a whole lot of threes, and while it could be a huge coincidence, Valve has to know that the Internet is going to pick something like this apart. It's either a clue to the game's development, or Valve is really upping the ante when it comes to trolling."

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/36673/20150302/will-valve-announce-half-life-3-at-gdc-2015.htm

I think Valve already said they were not going to do exclusives for steam OS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You dont actually believe any of that, do you?

Don't believe what? If HL3 was released on PC/XB1/PS4, yes, it could be the biggest selling title of the year it launches in. And, yes, Valve have chosen not to release the game. They have had more than 10 years to make any old trash and ship it out as HL3, but they didn't. So there has to be a reason for that...

You don't think HL3 would sell well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Falthyron wrote: »
    Don't believe what? If HL3 was released on PC/XB1/PS4, yes, it could be the biggest selling title of the year it launches in. And, yes, Valve have chosen not to release the game. They have had more than 10 years to make any old trash and ship it out as HL3, but they didn't. So there has to be a reason for that...

You don't think HL3 would sell well?
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of console gamers have neither heard of, nor played Half Life 1 or 2, mainly due to the point you made yourself, that Valve did not make it into an annual cash cow grab. Episode 2 was released 7 years ago!

Whether you like it or not, marketing plays a huge part in the game sales and unless Valve decided to announce it now and spend the next 6 months building up hype I honestly could not see it beating the sales figures for the likes of GTA5, call of duty, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't care, I could finally get to play half life 3 ...if it even exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Most console gamers would know about Half Life. The Orange Box came out for the 360 and PS3. Team Fortress 2 was very popular on Xbox Live. The PS3 port was terrible however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Most console gamers would know about Half Life. The Orange Box came out for the 360 and PS3. Team Fortress 2 was very popular on Xbox Live. The PS3 port was terrible however.

Aldo people who played Portal 2 would likely be aware of its roots.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It wouldn't outsell a GTA/COD/BF game, but it would be a massive seller. Even after 7 years, it's still regarded as one of the best FPS ever made.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Why are people so excited about the possibility of Half-Life 3? It's just going to have new maps, (possibly) characters, guns and a new storyline and whatever. There will be nothing special about it.

Valve love doing this. They don't release a new segment of a game for a very long time. That gets everyone excited about it and then other people who haven't heard of the series are influenced into thinking that it's going to be a great game and they should buy it. Then it turns out to be sh*t. Half-Life 3 was finished years ago.

Kiith wrote: »
    It wouldn't outsell a GTA/COD/BF game, but it would be a massive seller. Even after 7 years, it's still regarded as one of the best FPS ever made.

I think it would sell as much as any of those with the same marketing budget. I can't imagine Valve marketing on that scale though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Why are people so excited about the possibility of Half-Life 3? It's just going to have new maps, (possibly) characters, guns and a new storyline and whatever. There will be nothing special about it.

Valve love doing this. They don't release a new segment of a game for a very long time. That gets everyone excited about it and then other people who haven't heard of the series are influenced into thinking that it's going to be a great game and they should buy it. Then it turns out to be sh*t. Half-Life 3 was finished years ago.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

• Advertisement

People are excited because the Half Life series is fantastic, and we want a conclusion to one of the best games ever made. You may not like the game, and that's fair enough, but a lot of people love it and even after 7 years, still look forward to any real news about it.

As for the 2nd part, when have Valve ever released a **** game? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Surely this could be said about any sequel to a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Rarely is a gif so specifically suitable :D Well played Benzino... well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

brevity wrote: »
    Surely this could be said about any sequel to a game?

Or any new franchise.

Or any new franchise.

Or almost anything at all.

"Why are people so excited about the new Nissan GTR? It's just going to have a new engine, new interior and new body..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I wonder will Portal 3 and Half Life 3 be more an interconnected, interdependent story line?
    They seemed to be building Portal 2 towards some sort of link, with our heroine finding herself in the outside world.
    Plus, then there's the Aperture Science ship being so important at the close of the last HL2 episode.
    Exciting times indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I believe.

I am so cynical these days, and Valve have messed with my head so much before. But...

I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Guess we'll find out in twelve hours. Conference starts at 11pm tonight, Irish time.

Best case scenario: Half Life 3 is announced.

Worst case scenario: Half Life 3 is announced, my heart explodes, and I die.

Zillah wrote: »
    I believe.

I am so cynical these days, and Valve have messed with my head so much before. But...

I believe.

024.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read Gaben isn't giving the presentation but some other Valve dev. 3pm (local time) on the 3rd day of the 3rd month is genius marketing by Valve. The amount of people tuning in for it (including myself) just to witness new physics or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

announce that the vive will come in hat format

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The amount of people tuning in for it (including myself) just to witness new physics or something.
    In a Malibu Stacey-esque move they'll announce a re-release of the orange box but now the headcrabs will have a new hat.

pp08k.jpg

It'll sell by the million.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Duggy747 wrote: »
    ZxeIimB.gif

I could literally hear Guile's theme In my head while watching that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,200 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It would be wonderful if they retroactively labelled the two episodes as Half-Life 3 and announced Half-Life 4 instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well it was said that the two episodes constituted HL3 back in the day.
    I think we all just want to back to that universe regardless of the title of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well it was said that the two episodes constituted HL3 back in the day.
    I think we all just want to back to that universe regardless of the title of the game.

unless its "Half Life Kart Racing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

unless its "Half Life Kart Racing".

Probably already a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It would be wonderful if they retroactively labelled the two episodes as Half-Life 3 and announced Half-Life 4 instead.

I'd absolutely love them to just skip Half Life 3 completely. Write the story for it, share it internally, and build Half Life 4 as the follow on. Keep everyone in the dark about WTF happened in 3, but start 4 as if 3 was actually a thing. It'd be the ultimate troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

JUST GIVE US THE GAME!!!!!!!!

I may have had too much coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Absolutely
    Half Life 3.
    Exclusively on PlayStation Vita.

Advertisement