Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

1195749-diethreaddie.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Valve should just release Half-Life 4 to confuse the f&%$ out of everyone

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Dota 2 update a few days ago included half life 3 references for launching the executable in Source 2 engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dota 2 update a few days ago included half life 3 references for launching the executable in Source 2 engine.

I hear it'll launch along side The Last Guardian on the PS4 and Bandersnatch on the C64...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really want to know what that game is now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

with half life 3 as day one DLC :P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this is what I feel like when I visit this page

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've actually passed beyond the standard, destructive excitement-clickthrough-disappointment cycle this thread usually causes in me: I now occupy a sullen state of acceptance that whatever new posts there are, it will only be of tattle and reaction memes :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    tumblr_mocd353Kbl1suwczbo1_500.jpg

Torture every time I click back in to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 29,566 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

pixelburp wrote: »
    ...it will only be of tattle and reaction memes :D

Nail3d it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Absolutely
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I hear it'll launch along side The Last Guardian on the PS3 and Bandersnatch on the C64...

Fixed.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I thought it was coming out in 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Fixed.
    :(

PS3 development of it was conformed as cancelled by Sony and and work has more or less started again from the ground up for PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Leisure Suit Larry actually did something like this, except it skipped from 3 to 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've actually passed beyond the standard, destructive excitement-clickthrough-disappointment cycle this thread usually causes in me: I now occupy a sullen state of acceptance that whatever new posts there are, it will only be of tattle and reaction memes :D

Precisely. I actually mumbled "well, let's see what nonsense comes from the hype-machine today..." as I clicked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

At this stage though, does anyone actually care? The genre has moved on leaps and bounds since HL2 and its episodes.

I'd like closure on the story if nothing else, but otherwise its hard to see how the game could do anything other than disappoint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't really think anything has reallym matched Half Life 2, neary every linear shooter today is just aping the HL 2 formula with a few expections, like Farcry's open eneded approach to tackling it's challenges. The genre really needs a shake up like the way Half-Life 2 and the original (which pretty much made every FPS before and a few years after it obsolete) did.

At this stage though, does anyone actually care? The genre has moved on leaps and bounds since HL2 and its episodes.

I'd like closure on the story if nothing else, but otherwise its hard to see how the game could do anything other than disappoint.

I desperately miss Half Life's unique combination of high production values, action gameplay, highly scripted and polished linear first person shooting, and awesome sci-fi storytelling.

Fuck Far Cry and its collect fifteen badgers and have the same fight fifty times gameplay. I'm totally sick of open worlds and their high-volume, low-quality content. The Half Life series (+the Portals) has been some of the best fun:time ratio gaming I've ever had. No need to try and find the diamond in the rough, it's all bloody great.

I'm not expecting anything magical or revolutionary from Half Life 3. In fact, I would be most worried by the idea that they'll do some dumb exotic stuff just to try and make it look like they're innovating. Just give me something like Half Life 2, with the same level of polished content, with perhaps a facelift and a few nice gameplay innovations. Don't reinvent the wheel, I like the one you have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yes I really have to ask how the genre has come on in leaps and bounds since Half-Life 2? FPS and Stagnation are steady bedfellows these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Zillah wrote: »

Fuck Far Cry and its collect fifteen badgers and have the same fight fifty times gameplay.

Careful dude, these are fcuking honey badgers and they really don't give a sh*t. They will find you, they will hurt you, they will claw the face off you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mewso wrote: »
    Yes I really have to ask how the genre has come on in leaps and bounds since Half-Life 2? FPS and Stagnation are steady bedfellows these days.

Try Talos Principal out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭briany

Half Life came along at a time when FPS games were in danger of becoming a bunch of Quake/Duke Nukem clones. Half Life changed things a lot, and Half Life 2 really stood out from its competitors, too. The series has been a leader of innovation within that genre, so the state of the genre in general has little bearing (for me) on whether a new HL game is worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I was just thinking last night that I use to be really into FPS but despite 1 or 2 good fps last year (Wolfenstein new order good, far cry 4 ok) overall I was actually bored of fps shooters, online and offline.

And while my favourite game of 2014 was in first person, it wasnt what I consider an FPS (alien Isolation) and if I consider all the games I played 2014, fps actually make up a small chunk of the really enjoyable games.

I was putting it down to just my tastes shifting away from twitch online shooters etc but perhaps it is a wider issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

BloodBath wrote: »
    Gabe has already confirmed they are working on source 2.0 so you can bet your life HL3 will be the first game to showcase the engine followed shortly by Left 4 Dead 3.

Good things come to those who wait.

say that with a straight face to those who waited for duke nukem forever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ZxeIimB.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Disturbingly attractive

Duggy747 wrote: »
    ZxeIimB.gif

Well this is probably going to be the best thing I see today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

This thread is making me want to play 2 again. Think I'll download it tonight :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Duggy747 wrote: »
    ZxeIimB.gif

Watch it while listening to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Advertisement