Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    They would not have a leg to stand on its Government Legistation with fines or jail for not wearing a mask and a public health issue, who would a judge side with

Not correct.

Suggest you read sections 6 A (1) and 6 A (2) of the relevant legislation.

Disability discrimination has not suddenly become legal.

Masks have their uses (I'm wearing one right now cos I'm in a place where I cannot adequately social-distance). But the aren't magic. And they don't require 100% use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Silverstrand road closed again...

Galway City Council - "The road access to Silverstrand Beach will be closed for the remainder of this evening, Tuesday 11th August, due to the car park being full and large volumes of traffic attempting to use the road."

Update...

"Road access to Silverstand will remain closed to vehicles until Monday, 17th August, at which point it will be reviewed. Access remains available to pedestrians, cyclists and emergency vehicles."

Not correct.

Masks have their uses (I'm wearing one right now cos I'm in a place where I cannot adequately social-distance). But the aren't magic. And they don't require 100% use.

Upholding the law is not disability discrimination. Produce the proof that you don’t need a mask and that’s fine but no proof no entry. Can’t see how you would find issue with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭TwoWheeledTim

Why give a reference to a specific section of an unspecified bit of legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Not correct.

I think the act only compels public bodies to comply this requirement and not private enterprises

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wall sprayed Abbeygate street

IMG-20200814-075932.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

biko wrote: »
    Wall sprayed Abbeygate street

IMG-20200814-075932.jpg

Galway City is not immune from morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,422 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tigh Cholis is doing an session tomorrow at 6 PM, I think they are testing the waters to see if the law comes in and stops the live music, should be interesting.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

6 cases in today's 200 were in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Regarding the people who cannot tolerate masks or shields while in a supermarket. As far as I know the supermarkets are still allocating special time for vulnerable customers. It'd make sense to reduce capacity of the store in this time and relax the mask requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Arghus wrote: »
    6 cases in today's 200 were in Galway.

It was pointed out on the radio earlier that this is likely a snapshot of the situation 2 wks ago as on average people take around 5 days after contracting the virus to show symptoms and are waiting until day 5 of the illness before seeing a dr to arrange testing.

The current situation is most likely worse.

I've heard of one city GP who is seeing all patients in the garden where possible and in a large room in their home instead of the surgery when weather is not permitting.
    Things are getting more serious. Hope everyone is being careful and stays well.

flazio wrote: »
    Regarding the people who cannot tolerate masks or shields while in a supermarket. As far as I know the supermarkets are still allocating special time for vulnerable customers. It'd make sense to reduce capacity of the store in this time and relax the mask requirement.
    I disagree. Don't mix people without any PPE and old vulnerable people.
    If people cannot wear a mask they can still wear a visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Research has shown that a visor doesn't protect you much or protect other people from you at all, it's pretty much useless in terms of preventing spread.

I have not seen your research but the research I have seen says it does protect others from your coughs and sneezes, which is the essential bit here.

No visors or homemade masks protects the wearer very much as the virus will slip in past the mask as you breathe.
    That's not their main function.

The function of your face mask is to protect others from you.

Masks are not PPE, they are OPPE (other people protective equipment)

It would be best if we could all distance all the time. Quiet shops are better than busy ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Recent official research on the effectiveness of various types of facemasks here: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.full

So a distinct difference between an infected person wearing an even rudimentary mask, and not - in order to protect others.

It supports the findings of Dr. Rich Davis
    bacteria.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

So a distinct difference between an infected person wearing an even rudimentary mask, and not - in order to protect others.

It supports the findings of Dr. Rich Davis
    bacteria.jpg

That image/graphic is for bacteria, not viruses. The (very) small print sets out that viruses are smaller than bacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Pen Rua wrote: »
    That image/graphic is for bacteria, not viruses. The (very) small print sets out that viruses are smaller than bacteria.

focus that you should set your mind to is "droplets" which carries both bacteria and viruses.

bottom line just wear the mask or face shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Pen Rua wrote: »

The droplets that bacteria or virus travel in tend to be significantly larger than the weave of the mask and are therfore catching the virus and preventing them getting past your mask. Aerosolized particles are another matter, some may get trapped in the mask. Either way, the mask is contributing to a reduction in potential spread of the virus.

The only reason they talk about bacteria is because that will grow quicker in a petri dish. The princliple of blocking droplets is the same regardless of the content of the droplets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I didn't say I am anti-mask. I was pointing out that the predominant graphic shared depicts bacteria - not a virus. There is a difference worth noting.

FWIW, I have my masks and wear them when out & about.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Aerosolized particles are another matter, some may get trapped in the mask. Either way, the mask is contributing to a reduction in potential spread of the virus.

Some may. Many may not - especially if the wearer is not clean-shaven.

Masks have their uses. But they are not a replacement for social distancing. And an amazing number of people don't seem to realise this.

For me the important bit is "barrier".
    Anything that will prevent droplets making their way from you to me is good.

For face covers it's a physical barrier.
    For social distancing it's gravity. And tbh, 2 meters is arbitrary, different countries have different distances because no-one knows for sure, and it differs greatly on the circumstances.

It would be best if we could all distance all the time. Quiet shops are better than busy ones.

They are PPE, if they block on the way out they block on the way in too so it’s silly to suggest that they don’t provide at least some level of protection for the wearer also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

When last I checked OPPE stood for "Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluation"

Some users seem to be inventing their own terminology to suit their arguments!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just in case people hadn't read that research, the only type of face covering that shouldn't be worn is a fleece/snood one, as the type of fabric actually helps the dispersion of aerosol droplet, making them more dangerous than not wearing a mask at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

New Home wrote: »
    Just in case people hadn't read that research, the only type of face covering that shouldn't be worn is a fleece/snood one, as the type of fabric actually helps the dispersion of aerosol droplet, making them more dangerous than not wearing a mask at all!

Really? I've a few of them that I planned on using during the winter. What's the issue with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Really? I've a few of them that I planned on using during the winter. What's the issue with them?

The fabric I believe. There’s a good chart somewhere if you google mask efficacy, shows from n95 to best cloth to disposable and the scale.
    Even if something offers ‘some’ and you can wear a mask, some is something.
    I don’t wear masks outside as a rule unless I’m in a more densely populated space.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 leocullensface

Any new case in Galway today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Any new case in Galway today?

Yes

26 are in Kildare, 13 in Dublin and the rest of the 17 cases are in Donegal, Galway, Kerry, Laois, Longford, Meath, Monaghan, Offaly, Westmeath and Wicklow

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement