Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 thesmiler

Anyone knows if the ALDI TV/DVD today will do Irish DTT?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_13430.htm
    http://www.aldi.medion.com/md20185_01/ie/

Mentions DVB-T, and MPEG4 under DVD, but not under the DVB part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nope, do not touch Aldi or Lidl so called TV's until after Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is cheap from argos with MPEG4, no DVD though.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/catalogId/1500002251/partNumber/5293850.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

thesmiler wrote: »
    Anyone knows if the ALDI TV/DVD today will do Irish DTT?
    http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_13430.htm
    http://www.aldi.medion.com/md20185_01/ie/

Mentions DVB-T, and MPEG4 under DVD, but not under the DVB part.
    MPEG4 H264 for DVB-T. Constant cause of confusion!

Nice find Mike. Ah the benefits of Argos dumping products no longer suitable for the UK that actually benefit us!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Thanks STB and Cush, for your advice.
    I was reluctant to get an LG – just had a belief that they weren’t that good! (sorry to all LG fans). However, I’ve changed my views about them now. I had a look at a LF7700 manual. I really like the “Custom Edit” where “you can customise the regional channels broadcast by Freesat, allowing you to select different regions from those selected by your postcode”. This is a really good feature, all Freesat devices should have this feature! As the TV can setup with e.g. London postcode to have (119) ITV1 HD and then edit 101, 102 & 103 to show BBC 1 NI, BBC 2 NI and UTV. My Humax HDR is currently setup with an N.I. postcode, so I don’t have (119) ITV1 HD – yes I do know I have it via the red button on (977) ITV London. Which I didn’t mind as the TV is a CRT, but when I upgrade the television I think I might review the N.I. setup (sorry to mention satellite details on the Terrestrial Forum).
    STB wrote: »
    COMBO TVs - NO they are not an integrated Single channel list like on a combo box. You will have to switch between the Freesat menu and the dvb-t tuner via a source button. HOWEVER, you should be able to set your own favorites manu and add stations that you want to it. There is an owners threads on avforums and digitalspy. Add extra non fressat channels - YES.

I got a full (119 page pdf) manual last night for the Sony xxW5810, I had found a 28 page manual, but after flicking through the Sony manuals I'm still none the wiser. The LG manual is far better. I did notice that the Favourites menu on the Sony looks like its limited to only 16 channels.:(
    STB wrote: »
    The flip side of this is that at the moment most combo boxes will ONLY give you now/next for Sat and 7 day EPG for DTT in the combined channel list.

The Echostar Freesat+ PVR might change that, but I'm not really willing to wait any longer.

Thanks STB for the heads up on the Panasonic firmware issues. I was thinking for a while about getting a Panasonic.

@The Cush, is your Sony easy to flick from DVB-S2 to DVB-T or is it a few clicks to toggle through the menu on the Digital button on the Remote (the manual isn’t very clear!) also is there a delay before it switches (blank screen for a few seconds)?! If you had your television setup in Freesat mode is it easy to switch to non-freesat mode? Can you tell me is "now & next" displayed on the freesat information bar as the Humax bar only displays "now":(
    I had seen your review too when you posted it last month.;)

The more I think about the satellite turner in the TV the more I think I will probably continue to use the Humax for the Freesat service i.e. 7 day EPG and I'll probably use the satellite turner in the TV as a FTA turner. I would like to have the Irish DTT conbined with the satellite channels as we don't watch the Irish channels anymore because it's a pain to change back to the TV channels and I have a Home Theatre system, so the sound source needs to be changed too, then there's the picture quality being so poor.

I’m really at a crossroads with these two televisions. After reading up on the LG xxLF7700 I have to say this television is impressive, it has some nice features that I like, it has a good number of connections, but the Sony KDL-40W5810 has good features too and it has a good number of connections also. both have OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT - I plan to use this, so I can leave the sound source on the HTS on the one source. :cool:
    I currently have a 32” TV, DVD and HTS all by Sony, so I’m a little biased to the Sony brand. I’m also conscious of the fact that if I do go for the LG the HTS remote will no longer control the TV. The Humax remote is good as a multipurpose remote, and I do use it to control the TV, DVD and HTS, however, my better half hasn’t caught on to this yet. I do plan to get a Logitech Harmony remote at some stage, getting a LG could fast-forward this plan especially when I've a coffee table drawer full with remotes. The other problem I have is the size, The Sony 40” IMO is probably at the upper limit for my living room, the LG doing a 37” or 42” is a little annoying as the 42” is probably too big and the 37” is narrower over all then my existing 32”. And would it haunt me that I could have got a 40” television.

STB - your last line in your post hasn't escaped me either!;)
    I'd go with an LG myself

:eek::o:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

GeneHunt wrote: »
    @The Cush, is your Sony easy to flick from DVB-S2 to DVB-T or is it a few clicks to toggle through the menu on the Digital button on the Remote (the manual isn’t very clear!) also is there a delay before it switches (blank screen for a few seconds)?! If you had your television setup in Freesat mode is it easy to switch to non-freesat mode? Can you tell me is "now & next" displayed on the freesat information bar as the Humax bar only displays "now":(

First off the Sony manuals are crap these days. Pressing the "Digital" button selects between DTT and satellite with a slight delay. I set up my TV with Ireland as the country setting so it operates as a FTA satellite receiver, I cannot give you any info on freesat operation but I think I read somewhere in this mode non-freesat channels cannot be tuned. With my setting now and next info is displayed by pressing the info button firstly now info, press again for next info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

LIDL advertising DVB-T telly next week.
    Don't they have to point out somewhere that the digital tuner won't work in Ireland??
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100722.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_Television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    LIDL advertising DVB-T telly next week.
    Don't they have to point out somewhere that the digital tuner won't work in Ireland??
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100722.p.32inch_Full_HD_LCD_Television

There is no legal requirement for the to say the tuner won't work with Saorview, it's not mis-advertised it actual states "With built-in DVBT tuner (MPEG2) for reception of digital TV channels"

It will actually work in Ireland for UK SD freeview should you live in an area that can receive it.

At the the end of the day if somebody buys a TV or STB solely for the intention of watching Saorview without Saorview certification on the box they are taking a risk.

It is NOT fit for the purpose as a TV. Therefore it is a rather expensive PC Monitor not a HD TV. While it has an analogue tuner that will not support HD TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also Lidl's alleged HD monitor is not. It has only DVI, not HDMI. To be an HD Monitor rather than WXGA (1366 x768) Computer Screen, you need HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks STB and Cush, for your advice.
    I was reluctant to get an LG – just had a belief that they weren’t that good! (sorry to all LG fans). However, I’ve changed my views about them now. I had a look at a LF7700 manual. I really like the “Custom Edit” where “you can customise the regional channels broadcast by Freesat, allowing you to select different regions from those selected by your postcode”. This is a really good feature, all Freesat devices should have this feature! As the TV can setup with e.g. London postcode to have (119) ITV1 HD and then edit 101, 102 & 103 to show BBC 1 NI, BBC 2 NI and UTV. My Humax HDR is currently setup with an N.I. postcode, so I don’t have (119) ITV1 HD – yes I do know I have it via the red button on (977) ITV London. Which I didn’t mind as the TV is a CRT, but when I upgrade the television I think I might review the N.I. setup (sorry to mention satellite details on the Terrestrial Forum).

I got a full (119 page pdf) manual last night for the Sony xxW5810, I had found a 28 page manual, but after flicking through the Sony manuals I'm still none the wiser. The LG manual is far better. I did notice that the Favourites menu on the Sony looks like its limited to only 16 channels.:(

The Echostar Freesat+ PVR might change that, but I'm not really willing to wait any longer.

Thanks STB for the heads up on the Panasonic firmware issues. I was thinking for a while about getting a Panasonic.

The more I think about the satellite turner in the TV the more I think I will probably continue to use the Humax for the Freesat service i.e. 7 day EPG and I'll probably use the satellite turner in the TV as a FTA turner. I would like to have the Irish DTT conbined with the satellite channels as we don't watch the Irish channels anymore because it's a pain to change back to the TV channels and I have a Home Theatre system, so the sound source needs to be changed too, then there's the picture quality being so poor.

I’m really at a crossroads with these two televisions. After reading up on the LG xxLF7700 I have to say this television is impressive, it has some nice features that I like, it has a good number of connections, but the Sony KDL-40W5810 has good features too and it has a good number of connections also. both have OPTICAL DIGITAL AUDIO OUT - I plan to use this, so I can leave the sound source on the HTS on the one source. :cool:
    I currently have a 32” TV, DVD and HTS all by Sony, so I’m a little biased to the Sony brand. I’m also conscious of the fact that if I do go for the LG the HTS remote will no longer control the TV. The Humax remote is good as a multipurpose remote, and I do use it to control the TV, DVD and HTS, however, my better half hasn’t caught on to this yet. I do plan to get a Logitech Harmony remote at some stage, getting a LG could fast-forward this plan especially when I've a coffee table drawer full with remotes. The other problem I have is the size, The Sony 40” IMO is probably at the upper limit for my living room, the LG doing a 37” or 42” is a little annoying as the 42” is probably too big and the 37” is narrower over all then my existing 32”. And would it haunt me that I could have got a 40” television.

STB - your last line in your post hasn't escaped me either!;)

:eek::o:confused:
    Pardon my ignorance but if I was going to buy the humax foxsat hrd freesat + and was looking for a new TV, then there would be no point in me worrying about all the different tuners in the tv because if i had the humax then the tv tuner would not be used at all.
    Does that sound right?

Im trying to decide whether to buy the sony or lg myself, never looked at the 42LF7700 until now,
    Until now my competition was the sony xxW5810 or LG XXLD690
    I have decided that dnla features or avi features dont bother me as I can buy a sony blueray player with all those features for £99
    People seem to speak very highly of the LG televisons.
    One thing Im unsure of is what size I should get , 32 inch would probably fit better in my room but its hard to say no to a 42 inch, that would the ultimate experience.
    Like yourself I want a tv that will recieve everything saorview has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5035974/art/samsung/le26c350-lcd-television.html#tech-specs

Hi folks,thinking of buying a new 26 inch.Just wondering is there anyway of telling from the spec given with this tv if its compatible with Irish DTT as per the current tests. There is no mention of mpeg4 in description and all Pixmania said was to ring Samsung! Not sure about this telly as its a bit pricy but just curious whether anyone can figure out from this description if it is suitable..thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its got Mpeg4, according to http://skinflint.co.uk/a522799.html I think all Samsung Series 4 tellys do.

Samsung spec sheet (but no Mpeg type mentioned!)

edit argos.ie spec sheet has no mention of MPEG4 and they usually do if its a feature.

Would this one do you? http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5293898.htm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Pangea wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but if I was going to buy the humax foxsat hrd freesat + and was looking for a new TV, then there would be no point in me worrying about all the different tuners in the tv because if i had the humax then the tv tuner would not be used at all.
    Does that sound right?

No, not if you need to be able to receive Irish DTT, Saorview, due to launch in Oct, 2010. The Humax will ONLY receive from the satellite and RTE are not on the FTA satellite. Make sure the TV has MPEG4 at the very least.

The Humax will not record from the scart or HDMI, so it will not record RTE either. Good piece of kit though, I have one.

thanks Mike, never thought of Argos,out of stock now, but will check back. cheers!

Widescreen wrote: »
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5035974/art/samsung/le26c350-lcd-television.html#tech-specs

Hi folks,thinking of buying a new 26 inch.Just wondering is there anyway of telling from the spec

The magic phrase is "TNT HD" which means it supports French HD which is mpeg4. It will not do our snazzy teletext but will do picture and sound and 7 day epg.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5035974/art/samsung/le26c350-lcd-television.html

u_04980675.jpg

thanks for that. probably best to buy one here which will do the text!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

. I really like the “Custom Edit” where “you can customise the regional channels broadcast by Freesat, allowing you to select different regions from those selected by your postcode”. This is a really good feature, all Freesat devices should have this feature! As the TV can setup with e.g. London postcode to have (119) ITV1 HD and then edit 101, 102 & 103 to show BBC 1 NI, BBC 2 NI and UTV. (sorry to mention satellite details on the Terrestrial Forum).

Just want to correct this post. With Custum edit you can change the BBC 1and 2 regions, but you CANNOT change the ch103 region. So if you use London postcode you cannot put UTV at 103.

thanks for that. probably best to buy one here which will do the text!

Yeah, you get picture and sound for €300 from Pixmania who are based in France and then you pay out another €150-€200 on top when you buy here just to add Irish teletext capability :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Yeah, you get picture and sound for €300 from Pixmania who are based in France and then you pay out another €150-€200 on top when you buy here just to add Irish teletext capability :)

Makes no odds. Teletext is broadcst via VBI Teletext in the DVB Stream anyway if the TV doesnt have MHEG5.

i.e.
    171.gif

• Advertisement

givecredit wrote: »
    Just want to correct this post. With Custum edit you can change the BBC 1and 2 regions, but you CANNOT change the ch103 region. So if you use London postcode you cannot put UTV at 103.

Thanks for the correction to my post, I was going to correct my post myself as I discovered the Custom edit menu on my Humax yesterday:rolleyes:

Pangea wrote: »
    Does that sound right?

Im trying to decide whether to buy the sony or lg myself, never looked at the 42LF7700 until now,
    Until now my competition was the sony xxW5810 or LG XXLD690
    I have decided that dnla features or avi features dont bother me as I can buy a sony blueray player with all those features for £99
    People seem to speak very highly of the LG televisons.
    One thing Im unsure of is what size I should get , 32 inch would probably fit better in my room but its hard to say no to a 42 inch, that would the ultimate experience.
    Like yourself I want a tv that will recieve everything saorview has to offer.
    No, not if you need to be able to receive Irish DTT, Saorview, due to launch in Oct, 2010. The Humax will ONLY receive from the satellite and RTE are not on the FTA satellite. Make sure the TV has MPEG4 at the very least.

The Humax will not record from the scart or HDMI, so it will not record RTE either. Good piece of kit though, I have one.

As Sam Russell has said, the TV turner is important if you wish to watch Irish DTT.

The size of the TV is a personal preference IMO, however I did read somewhere of a factor of 4 been used - i.e. (something like this) You measure the distance from the TV screen to where you sit, if it's say 10ft. Your multiple this number by 4 to get the screen size in inches. (40")

I decided to get the Sony 40W5810 and I'm very happy with it so far, however the Sony is a little slow displaying a HD channel from my Humax HDR via HDMI, but it is perfect with its owner sat turner, very smooth. I've the TV currently setup with RTE1, 2 etc via the Digital, TV3 via Analogue (until they decide to go digital again) and the sat turner setup as FTA (not Freesat).

Note: the Sony xxW5810 has no menu option to flick from Freesat mode to non-freesat mode, the menu has the option to be turned as a Freesat turner or a FTA turner. So if you are thinking of buying this TV with it in mind to have Freesat and occasionally flicking into "non-freesat mode" to watch say Sky News or another non-freesat channel this is not the TV for you.

I love the picture quality from the television.:)

I hope STB has no hard feelings with me not going with his advice, just IMO the LG 42LF7700 was too big and a LG 37LF7700 had a little lower spec (50hz).

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Not point buying an appliance that doesn't do everything. I mean,we wouldn't buy a radio that didn't have FM would we.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Not point buying an appliance that doesn't do everything. I mean,we wouldn't buy a radio that didn't have FM would we.

not quite the same, it more like would you buy a radio that had fm anyway, but just didn't give you the channel name on a fancy lcd screen on the front, but saved you a ton of money

you'll get teletext anyway, just not the mheg5 version

Anyway,being serious again!

How about this TV. Can anyone advise if this will pick up the new type teletext or even advise what the technical term is for that? many thanks

http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/ff/99/ff99cd17-4d6e-49ff-a916-73b8323d4751.pdf

Anyway,being serious again!

How about this TV. Can anyone advise if this will pick up the new type teletext or even advise what the technical term is for that? many thanks

http://cdn.cnetcontent.com/ff/99/ff99cd17-4d6e-49ff-a916-73b8323d4751.pdf

MHEG5 its mentioned about a zillion times in this thread! :)

Thanks! I'm only asking as I am not an expert in these matters:o

So does that mean that the tv I just posted the link about probably does not support the text as I cannot see MHEG 5 mentioned anywhere?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Quite alot of the TVs sold on Pixmania do have MHEG5 like the LG's and Sony's as these are generic models for Europe. The feature is usually enable when set to UK as country in settings as the UK use the same profile of MHEG5 as we do.

Not sure about the Philips TVs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I been trying to find the list for TV that is working with MPEG-4
    so I can add my new model on it
    any idea where it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

All very well having Mpeg4 TVs but when a proper Irish service starts they will probably use DVB-T2 as in the U.K. or perhaps something else that is not on the market yet and stuff the poor punter again!!

Advertisement