Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Btw, on my Samsung TV, I can pick up the second test channel that's in 1080i. Does anyone know if you can change sound channels on a Samsung to alternate between the radio station sound on the channel and the synchronisation noise signal? The TV is a 40B650.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Fistycuffs

Does anyone know if the Samsung LE26C450 is ok for Irish DTT?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/lcd-tv/LE26C450E1WXXU/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

It has:
    DTV Reception (DVB-T/T2/C/S2) DVB-T/C
    DTV Tuner Built-in Yes
    MHP/ MHEG (version) MHEG

It also says in the manual that digital functionality is available where MPEG4 AVC signals are broadcast.

I'm confused . Any help appreciated :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It should work, naturally if you buy it in the south you would expect them to tune it for Irish DTT and show you RTE1 2 and TG4 working in the shop before you buy it.

Does it have an analogue tuner at all ???? If not then no TV3 for you for possibly another year until they eventually go digital, most likely after a ministerial order on the RTE mux gets them a slot.

MHEG is digital Teletext, it may be on or off when they tune it (it is still testing in other words) but you will still get 7 day programme guides. I would not hold the shop to that.

HTH

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Does it have an analogue tuner at all ???? If not then no TV3 for you for possibly another year until they eventually go digital, most likely after a ministerial order on the RTE mux gets them a slot.

MHEG is digital Teletext, it may be on or off when they tune it (it is still testing in other words) but you will still get 7 day programme guides. I would not hold the shop to that.

HTH

Thanks a million for that response Sponge Bob it was really helpful. I didn't realise there was so much to consider at all.

I'm thinking of getting Sky Plus as well. Would that get me around the problem of it not having an analogue tunerso I could get TV3?
    Would sky also let me get normal teletext or will I just get the kind the tv generally gets that's in testing?

Thanks a million again.

It means the tuner in yer telly does not matter but you must pay Murdoch €23 a month to get TV3 in Digital and for the ability to record.

• Advertisement

Fistycuffs wrote: »
    Would sky also let me get normal teletext or will I just get the kind the tv generally gets that's in testing?
    Aertel is available on Sky but only through an RF or SCART cable. It doesn't work on HDMI, being a digital signal it doesn't carry the VBI (which is where the teletext lies). RTÉ don't have an interactive text service on digital satellite so via HDMI you'll have no text service at all.

Sponge Bob and Karsini : Thanks a million. Days of reading up and I just couldn't grasp the whole issue at all. I'll be able to buy my telly in peace tomorrow now thanks to you both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Panasonics do absolutely everything except digital teletext..picture sound 'old' aertel work fine.

The Panasonic G20 does do digital teletext in Ireland.

The Panasonic G20 does do digital teletext in Ireland.

Ah yes but there are LOADS of Pannys in the shops right now. A Bewildering number.

You will see LCD LED Plasma and 3D models. While it is point taken on the G20, the 42U2 or 42U2L model will not do MHEG5

There is an S20 plasma and and X20 plasma out there , both 42 inch and under €900, which of them does what precisely ???

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Anyone know if this TV would be Irish DTT compatible?
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100708.p.24inch_Full_HD_LCD_Widescreen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

peking97 wrote: »

With out the model number can't say for sure but there is no mention of mpeg4 so I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Hi folks

This thread has grown in length significantly since it was started. I think it would be beneficial if we had an *ultimate* list of equipment (tv and stbs) compatible with the Irish DTT system.

So... if you can send along details of TVs and STBs including product number, date of purchase or availability, software version and a brief review then I am happy to take this forward.

Seems more sensible than trawling through 50+ pages of discussion.

What say you?

Marc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Seems like a good idea but solely for DTT equipment I think it would be simpler for the average person just to wait for Saorview certified equipment to appear and the service to actually launch, it's not too far away. No need for an "ultimate" list for Saorview only once the logo's are issued.

If a such a list was to be generated with the details you suggest I personally think the time would better spent on DDT/SAT combo boxes also detailing things like combined EPG support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sorry for a dumb question, but what does Saorview certified equipment mean in terms of features.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

BostonB, I'll let someone else answer that.

Jobyrne - I understand there will be certified equipment on sale later this year. I think it might be useful as this topic has generated lots of questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

BostonB wrote: »
    Sorry for a dumb question, but what does Saorview certified equipment mean in terms of features.

Extra to the uncertified boxes ?

1. MHEG5 which will be used for EPG and fancy telextext with adverts. However its likely that this will be mirrored by DVB-SI delivered EIT data ie normal Aertel Text/EPG data that you find on existing boxes and LCDs that dont have MHEG5 for some sime to come.

2. Full Nordig standards including HE Audio Codecs. Should RTE move to one of these codecs from Mpeg1 they are currently using then a firmware update would be required on those unoffcial boxes (which might not be necessarily be forthcoming).

3. The right Country Descriptor/Station positioning. Irish Stations will not be in the 800s like on some boxes.

Thats the basic diffrences between a certified box and one like the Sigmatek DVBR 520HD (€60) which clear DTT and do all bar points 1, 2 and 3.

I cant see the official boxes being below the price point of the Sigmateks as thats he price in France for those. They have a population of 66m. Supply and demand drives price points.

Anybody know of a 26" set which will receive Freesat and Irish DTT?
    Something like this one from Panasonic but in a 26" screen.
    http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/VIERA+Flat+Screen+TV/LCD+TV/TX-L32D25B/Overview/4719495/index.html

Combo Tvs (Freesat/DTT)

LG LCD LF7700 (32,37,42,47)

Sony BRAVIA W5810 32"

Sony BRAVIA Z5800 40"

No 26" as far as I know.

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    With out the model number can't say for sure but there is no mention of mpeg4 so I don't think so.
    I had a look at it this morning in-store and now realize it is not a TV but a monitor only ...no tuner whatsoever.

Just a quick update on the sagemcom freeview+ hd t2 box as tonight as always in rain I'm receiving kippure ch54.
    Untill I get a kippure aerial,I'll only have it in rain.

It has no issues with RTE 2 at all.
    Full proper widescreen and a lovely clean sd picture :)

I can record, and live pause and can scroll through the epg to schedule a recording for as far forward as the epg goes but there is no series link option.

I can live with that! :)

I'll post pics tomorrow on the sagemcom thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 The Great Gonzo

I have a problem with a Panasonic TV and I’m sure someone knows the answer.
    I bought model TX42U2L from Powercity.
    It was able to tune in any analogue stations on the “cable” system.
    So I decided to see if it could find any DTT stations using our aerial.
    It did seem to find the digital channels except…it wont show video when I select a channel.
    The info banner for the station comes up on screen showing the programme name etc.
    It will even show the EPG and I can listen to the digital radio stations and the audio from thee TV stations.
    But when I select a TV station a display appears on the screen saying “NO VIDEO”

I live in Greystones, Wicklow.
    My aerial is pointing at 3 Rock
    I can get analogue, on the aerial, RTE 1 + 2 +TNG but TV3 is not great but watchable
    The TV is supposed to be MPG4/H264 “Irish Digital TV ready”

So, is the problem
    • Me, doing something wrong
    • The TV
    • The aerial or direction it is pointed in
    • The local transmitter (it must be picking up the one in Greystones? Kindelstown Hill I think)

Should mention, the TV is great, best picture is off an old Sky box picking up the FTA channels.
    Any advice is welcome
    The Great Gonzo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

are you sure you have the model no. correct, could not find it with google. I would say its a uk model with mpeg2 and not mpeg4, it will pick up sound but no video. check model no.

gb--

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Hi guys,
    I’m thinking of buying a Sony KDL-40W5810 (with Freesat) in the next few days for about €725. After searching the manual and a number of other sites for info on this television with no success for the info I need, so can I ask some questions here? (I hope to hear from users of this model too please).

• Can someone please confirm, is the DTT turner MPEG 4 (for Irish DTT), if so, is it compatible for Saorview EPG too(MHEG5)?
    • I get the feeling from the manual that the channels from the satellite and terrestrial turners are NOT combined in the EPG like the Mvision HD300 (which I have seen working), is this the case?
    • Can the television be used in an “non-Freesat” mode – i.e. can non-Freesat channels be tuned in?
    • Are the reviews of this TV good, or should I maybe go for a Panasonic or Samsung or should I just wait a little while longer on something better!

I currently have a Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+. I intend to continue to use this receiver, just want to upgrade to a HD television with Irish DTT included. Note – I have three satellite feeds to the living room, two are used with the Humax and one spare, so there is no problem to get a feed to this TV or perhaps a combi receiver. I say a combi receiver because if the above question about the channels not combined, well it would be a big deterrent for me, as I would like to channel surf all the channels including the Irish ones without having to change source. So should I go for this TV or just go for a normal HD television (without sat turner) and get a combi receiver with a hard drive in the future to record from the Irish DTT service?!!!

Sorry, lots of questions, so many thanks for your info and advice in advance

GeneHunt wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I’m thinking of buying a Sony KDL-40W5810 (with Freesat) in the next few days for about €725. After searching the manual and a number of other sites for info on this television with no success for the info I need, so can I ask some questions here? (I hope to hear from users of this model too please).

• Can someone please confirm, is the DTT turner MPEG 4 (for Irish DTT), if so, is it compatible for Saorview EPG too(MHEG5)?
    • I get the feeling from the manual that the channels from the satellite and terrestrial turners are NOT combined in the EPG like the Mvision HD300 (which I have seen working), is this the case?
    • Can the television be used in an “non-Freesat” mode – i.e. can non-Freesat channels be tuned in?
    • Are the reviews of this TV good, or should I maybe go for a Panasonic or Samsung or should I just wait a little while longer on something better!

I currently have a Humax FOXSAT-HDR Freesat+. I intend to continue to use this receiver, just want to upgrade to a HD television with Irish DTT included. Note – I have three satellite feeds to the living room, two are used with the Humax and one spare, so there is no problem to get a feed to this TV or perhaps a combi receiver. I say a combi receiver because if the above question about the channels not combined, well it would be a big deterrent for me, as I would like to channel surf all the channels including the Irish ones without having to change source. So should I go for this TV or just go for a normal HD television (without sat turner) and get a combi receiver with a hard drive in the future to record from the Irish DTT service?!!!

The Sony will work with Irish DTT. It uses the MPEG4 processsor in place for Freesat HD to decode its DVB-T signals. The MHEG5 present for Freesat HD should also be present when DVB-T is on.

You should also consider the LG LF7700 range of freesat combo tvs. The 42 inch is the same price as the Sony 40. http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/lg/42lf7700/lg-42lf77starstar Richersounds have a board here and will look after you.... they ship down cheaply from their NI shop to the phillips store in Dublin (MD of Richer Sounds Ire also runs Phillips store) and do deals for boardsies - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105

The LG LF7700 also come in 32,37 and 47 sizes and have MHEG5 Full HD VHF and UHF Tuners and Compatable Irish DTT tuners (reported working here).

COMBO TVs - NO they are not an integrated Single channel list like on a combo box. You will have to switch between the Freesat menu and the dvb-t tuner via a source button. HOWEVER, you should be able to set your own favorites manu and add stations that you want to it. There is an owners threads on avforums and digitalspy. Add extra non fressat channels - YES.

The flip side of this is that at the moment most combo boxes will ONLY give you now/next for Sat and 7 day EPG for DTT in the combined channel list. Also combo boxes do not have MHEG5 for fancy teletext.

The only combo TVs to stay clear from are the Panasonic who have deliberately crippled the firmware in them to do only certain things for UK.

Saorview will not be certifying Freesat combo TVs - they are technically not meant to available here!

I'd go with an LG myself.

Sorry I did type in the wrong model no.
    It should have been TX-L42U2L.
    If you google it one of the links that appears is
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/compatibility/tuner/37_42lcd.html
    and if you select the model number it says
    This TV is designed to meet the standards (current as of August, 2009) of DVB-T/C (MPEG2 and MPEG4-AVC(H.264)) services.
    So it appears to have MPEG4 but it behaves as if it is MPEG 2.
    Still baffled
    The Great Gonzo

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Sorry I did type in the wrong model no.
    It should have been TX-L42U2L.
    If you google it one of the links that appears is
    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/compatibility/tuner/37_42lcd.html
    and if you select the model number it says
    This TV is designed to meet the standards (current as of August, 2009) of DVB-T/C (MPEG2 and MPEG4-AVC(H.264)) services.
    So it appears to have MPEG4 but it behaves as if it is MPEG 2.
    Still baffled
    The Great Gonzo

I'm going to hazard a guess here but maybe if you juggle about the country selection you'll get the DTT to work. IE: change the country settings to Ireland or France, if its in the UK or some other European countries settings the MPEG4 proccessor may not work.
    As I said I'm only guessing but I'd think theres a good chance the country selection has something to do with it.

I have 2 Panasonic plasmas I got from France and they work perfectly on DTT and Analogue but only after a bit of messing about on the country settings.

EDIT: I just saw the Specs for there now, same as the ones I have. Try the French settings on it, do a factory reset and set up your language as english and country as France. For your analogue channels theres a little bit of tweaking to be done in the tuner menu and it should work. If you get stuck on it post back and I'll talk you through the set up.

Good tip Finne1993
    You put me searching in the right area.
    I went into the “settings” menu to try to change the country settings.
    I had set it to Ireland when I had first turned the set on.
    I couldn’t change the country setting unless I reset the TV and did a complete re- tuning and renaming all the analogue channels.
    So I tried to see if there was an other way to solve the problem.

If you initially tune the set for say “analogue” stations you can later add an other “TV signal” as Panasonic call it, eg DVB-C, DVB-T
    I had added DVB-T when I first tuned in the digital stations but when I went back into that menu an other option (DVB-T support for HD Services) presented itself.
    I selected it and the set retuned the digital stations only and this time we have video and sound.
    Now I know all you experts are going to tell me we don’t have any HD channels on the Digital signals from RTENL but this option works.
    One other funny thing happens, when I select RTENL 2 the TV pops up a banner showing 1080i which seems to indicate the presence of a HD channel, though only a “test” channel.
    Have they decided to run HD tests now?
    Thanks again
    The Great Gonzo

That Panasonic model does not turn on Digital by default if you choose Ireland but it is an option on the next screen after you choose Ireland . A factory reset will being you back to the start and carefully note the next screen and turn the whole lot on before you tune.

Yes there is a HD test channel if you like a moving red bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

Good tip Finne1993
    You put me searching in the right area.
    I went into the “settings” menu to try to change the country settings.
    I had set it to Ireland when I had first turned the set on.
    I couldn’t change the country setting unless I reset the TV and did a complete re- tuning and renaming all the analogue channels.
    So I tried to see if there was an other way to solve the problem.

If you initially tune the set for say “analogue” stations you can later add an other “TV signal” as Panasonic call it, eg DVB-C, DVB-T
    I had added DVB-T when I first tuned in the digital stations but when I went back into that menu an other option (DVB-T support for HD Services) presented itself.
    I selected it and the set retuned the digital stations only and this time we have video and sound.
    Now I know all you experts are going to tell me we don’t have any HD channels on the Digital signals from RTENL but this option works.
    One other funny thing happens, when I select RTENL 2 the TV pops up a banner showing 1080i which seems to indicate the presence of a HD channel, though only a “test” channel.
    Have they decided to run HD tests now?
    Thanks again
    The Great Gonzo

Glad you got sorted, you might have to do a re-scan a couple of times before the official launch of Soarview in October when the service should become stable and hopefully there will be no issues with the service types on the current Panasonic TV range.
    Happy viewing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

GeneHunt wrote: »

My information is based on the 32" version
    • Yes, compatible with Irish DTT incl. MHEG5 and HD
    • Yes, EPG info is not combined
    • If you install with UK as the country setting you get freesat (incl MHEG5 epg, text and red button services) but possibly without VHF analogue terrestrial tuner if you require it. Any other country, incl. Ireland gives you a FTA satellite receiver (and no MHEG5 text, epg or red button only now and next info) but you get all the channels which you can arrange any way you want, also in this setting you have DiSEqC for switching between 4 satellites if required.
    • Regarding reviews start here on the boards, search for Sony and/or KDL-32W5810, KDL-40W5810 etc. My review here. Great TV when combined with the Humax HDR.

Advertisement