Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

How'd you work that out? :pac:

Presumably just a typo and he meant to write 52mins rather than 12mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Mellor wrote: »
    Presumably just a typo and he meant to write 52mins rather than 12mins.

Not just the 2 fights either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I think you need to work on your maths.

Yes just noticed! Either way, very inactive across 4 of his prime years. Hes had as many retirements as fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,666 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Justin said it best on the Rogan podcast recently ,Conor has lost touch with his own popularity ,Said himself and other fighters know Conor can no longer demand what he wants and has lost respect among fighters and they just laugh at him now ,
    No body cares about him anymore ,
    Except for fans who bought over 1 million ppv's for the Cowboy fight on a poor card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It’s such a shame. He worked so much to get to the top of the sport, then when he was there he became the brand and more than the sport, and spent his prime years then acting like a tool but still counting the money coming in. Such a shame as Ireland will never produce another like him. He was our 1 true global sports megastar, up there with Jordan, Brady, Messi, Ronaldo, Mayweather, Woods, Hamilton. From the sporting side he f*ked it all up and will regret that when he physically cannot do it any more.

How the hell can he even be remotely compared to any of them???

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote:
    Money, popularity. Lots of people in Ireland don't realise just how big of a name he is worldwide.
    When you have sportsmen in the US, Europe, South America, South Africa, Australia and Asia copying your walking when they score in their game you realise just how big he has become.

Let's not get bogged down in whose walk it was. McGregor made it famous again and worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,564 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

eagle eye wrote: »
    Money, popularity. Lots of people in Ireland don't realise just how big of a name he is worldwide.
    When you have sportsmen in the US, Europe, South America, South Africa, Australia and Asia copying your walking when they score in their game you realise just how big he has become.

Let's not get bogged down in whose walk it was. McGregor made it famous again and worldwide.

Do you realise that walk is the Billionaire strut made iconic by Vince McMahon in WWE back in the late 90's
    Why do you think they at copying Conor and not Vince ?

Do you realise that walk is the Billionaire strut made iconic by Vince McMahon in WWE back in the late 90's Why do you think they at copying Conor and not Vince ?

As I said, let's not get bogged down about the walk. I'm talking about how McGregor has made it popular all over the world. It's just an example of how well known and popular he is across the globe.

Do you realise that walk is the Billionaire strut made iconic by Vince McMahon in WWE back in the late 90's Why do you think they at copying Conor and not Vince ?
    Missed your question. They only started doing it a couple of years ago after McGregor started headlining ppv's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Gintonious wrote: »

He was at the top of his sport. And he had the personality, charm and charisma to match. Had he kept competing and winning, let’s say 2 to 3 fights a year, even if he lost the title but managed to win it back, everybody loved him and his fights thrilled us all especially the Americans. And he was one of our own. What other Irish sports star is the face of their game?? I don’t follow golf, horse racing or women’s boxing if you wanna say they are at the top. I shuda had Federer in that list also, a list that Conor could be in if he had kept focus and not been so hands on with the other businesses he has.

• Advertisement

Ah yes, the walk really puts him in the same ballpark as Jordan, Messi, Ronaldo, Hamilton etc.

He is probably second lowest on that list of athletes in terms of net worth, behind Brady I think. He doesn't compare in terms of stats or achievements in his sport. Not even close.
    He was at the top of his sport. And he had the personality, charm and charisma to match. Had he kept competing and winning, let’s say 2 to 3 fights a year, even if he lost the title but managed to win it back, everybody loved him and his fights thrilled us all especially the Americans. And he was one of our own. What other Irish sports star is the face of their game?? I don’t follow golf, horse racing or women’s boxing if you wanna say they are at the top. I shuda had Federer in that list also, a list that Conor could be in if he had kept focus and not been so hands on with the other businesses he has.

Yeah, if my granny had wheels she'd be a wagon.

Gintonious wrote:
    Ah yes, the walk really puts him in the same ballpark as Jordan, Messi, Ronaldo, Hamilton etc.
    He is probably second lowest on that list of athletes in terms of net worth, behind Brady I think. He doesn't compare in terms of stats or achievements in his sport. Not even close.
    Who mentioned stats or achievements?

Purely on being world famous he belongs in that bracket. Well ahead of Hamilton I'd guess and Brady.
    My favourite sportsperson is Tom Brady btw.

Who mentioned stats or achievements?

Purely on being world famous he belongs in that bracket. Well ahead of Hamilton I'd guess and Brady.
    My favourite sportsperson is Tom Brady btw.

What was I thinking, mentioning stats and achievements. So silly of me, we all know the mark of a great sportsman is if people mimic your walk.

Can't say I would place him ahead of Hamilton, with him being a 6 time F1 world champion and all that.

Gintonious wrote:
    What was I thinking, mentioning stats and achievements. So silly of me, we all know the mark of a great sportsman is if people mimic your walk.
    Can't say I would place him ahead of Hamilton, with him being a 6 time F1 world champion and all that.
    Well I'm a sports guy, if you asked me to name current famous sportspeople Lewis Hamilton would not be named. If you asked me to name current famous people in Motorsport he would be behind Marc Marquez, Valentino Rossi and Jimmie Johnson on a global scale I think.

Good to see that my post and list is getting the respect it deserves!! The point I was making is that Conor achieved elite world mega stardom, and had he continued to perform consistently at the sport like those others he would be just as famous. Now I think he will be more associated with the likes of George Best, Zlatan, Rodman, Arrancha Sanchez, the beast Edmundo and Jim Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Good to see that my post and list is getting the respect it deserves!! The point I was making is that Conor achieved elite world mega stardom, and had he continued to perform consistently at the sport like those others he would be just as famous. Now I think he will be more associated with the likes of George Best, Zlatan, Rodman, Arrancha Sanchez, the beast Edmundo and Jim Kelly.

:D

Zlatan would not be impressed.

Well I'm a sports guy, if you asked me to name current famous sportspeople Lewis Hamilton would not be named. If you asked me to name current famous people in Motorsport he would be behind Marc Marquez, Valentino Rossi and Jimmie Johnson on a global scale I think.

I can't take you seriously if you have Jimmie Johnson over Lewis Hamilton.

Good luck.

Gintonious wrote:
    I can't take you seriously if you have Jimmie Johnson over Lewis Hamilton.
    You've probably never left Ireland or at best Europe which would make your view understandable.

You've probably never left Ireland or at best Europe which would make your view understandable.

I live in Vancouver, sweetheart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I don't know why people denying how big of a star Conor is. MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world, and it's completely on the back of Conor.
    It might seem weird putting him on a pedestal with the likes Messi, but stars of other sports all have to share the stage. Messi is a superstar, but there's also Ronaldo. And Pele, Maradona, etc, from the past.
    In MMA there's only Conor. Who comes close? Ronda maybe, but she's nowhere near Conor. A lot of people actually think the sport is called UFC, and that's because of Conor.

As for earnings, you have to take the sport in to account. There are footballers playing for basement premier league clubs getting as much per werk as some fighters make per fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

derfderf wrote: »
    I don't know why people denying how big of a star Conor is. MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world, and it's completely on the back of Conor.
    It might seem weird putting him on a pedestal with the likes Messi, but stars of other sports all have to share the stage. Messi is a superstar, but there's also Ronaldo. And Pele, Maradona, etc, from the past.
    In MMA there's only Conor. Who comes close? Ronda maybe, but she's nowhere near Conor. A lot of people actually think the sport is called UFC, and that's because of Conor.

As for earnings, you have to take the sport in to account. There are footballers playing for basement premier league clubs getting as much per werk as some fighters make per fight.

People let their hatred of him cloud their judgement. Over on After Hours recently you had lads claiming that if he wasn't from Ireland, no-one in Ireland would have ever heard of him, and that people like Roy Keane are far more famous and world known than McGregor.

He's the global face of UFC and as a result, MMA also, and has transcended the sport like many others at the very top of their respective careers in various sports.

No matter what you think of him, it's just a fact. It's really strangely absurd to try and deny it.

Like I've no interest in F1, Soccer, Tennis, Basketball, or Golf. But obviously I've heard of Lewis Hamilton, Ronaldo/Messi, the Williams sisters, Michael Jordan or LeBron, Tiger Woods or Rory McIllory, etc.

McGregor is exactly the same - people who don't even know what MMA even is or have any understanding of, or the faintest interest in it, know of McGregor.

For some reason some people are just bizarrely desperate to ignore and deny it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

So do you think or truly believe he is retired this time?

pudzey101 wrote:
    So do you think or truly believe he is retired this time?
    It's up to the UFC. If they give him a box office fight he'll be back I think. He's letting them know he doesn't need the money and he wants preferential treatment as the biggest star and biggest earner for them. He wanted either Gaethje or Anderson Silva which would both be huge sellers and they said no to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

derfderf wrote: »

I don't think people are denying he is a star, they are denying he is as successful in MMA as for instance Messi in football or Jordan in basketball, in terms of accolades, longevity and overall career.

Ush1 wrote:
    I don't think people are denying he is a star, they are denying he is as successful in MMA as for instance Messi in football or Jordan in basketball, in terms of accolades, longevity and overall career.
    I don't see anybody calling McGregor the GOAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He wanted either Gaethje or Anderson Silva which would both be huge sellers and they said no to both.
    The UFC didn’t say no. Gaethje (and Ali) said no. For obvious reasons.

As for Silva. I doubt he could make 185 let alone 170.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Didn't McGregor say he's not interested in fighting Silva now because it is a no win situation for him? Initially he jumped at the idea of fighting 'The Goat' but seeing all the reactions of people saying Silva is too old etc put him off the idea.

Mellor wrote: »
    The UFC didn’t say no. Gaethje (and Ali) said no. For obvious reasons.

As for Silva. I doubt he could make 185 let alone 170.

Have you a link to where that's made clear?

This is some of what McGregor said.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/other-sport/conor-mcgregor-gives-reasons-ufc-18378210

• Registered Users Posts: 19,758 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Justin said it best on the Rogan podcast recently ,Conor has lost touch with his own popularity ,Said himself and other fighters know Conor can no longer demand what he wants and has lost respect among fighters and they just laugh at him now ,

No body cares about him anymore ,

I doubt he cares none of them will make the money he has and ultimately that’s what they are in it for

• Advertisement

It’s very unfortunate that the newly motivated and disciplined Conor and his plan for a full season of fights coincided with the coronavirus. Had the corona come along last year when Conor was acting the bol1ix we would all be excited now for his journey back to glory and Khabib revenge and our adventures in Las Vegas or Bluebell soccer clubhouse.

Advertisement