Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I’m not getting onto Cartamundi. I don’t believe there could be 43 cases ( or a substantial part of 43) from one factory. If it is the case, then there should be a Garda investigation. Ridiculously, we will never know because apparently we will turn up outside peoples houses with pitchforks and burning torched if we knew they were unfortunate enough to get a virus. Or something. But hey, let’s respect people’s privacy and keep spreading a deadly disease.

The protection of peoples' identities is aimed directly at idiots like you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The thing is, and not to even get into whether the companies in question have control measures in place. If the virus is prevalent in 2 largish employers in the city, the danger of community spread resulting from that is massive, by which I mean employees bringing the virus home then maybe a teenager passing it on from there or vice versa rather than the "We don't what the Fcuk happened" HSE definition of community spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Hijpo wrote: »
    B&L have plenty of facilities to sanitize and wash. They have provided every employee with hand sanitizer and face masks.
    If things get worse in there it will be due to individual employees choosing to car pool and not take the necessary precautions outside of the plant.
    About 5 in the last few weeks, maybe? In a plant employing over one thousand running 24\7. I think maybe 1 of those had been in the plant 3 days before getting a positive test. So internally I don't think there has been any transmission or risk of transmission.
    I have friends who work there also. But you can be sure any employee that tests positive would have to give close contacts, and if a close contact happened to be someone they worked with then they would need to be tested, and if they tested negative then the measures in place within the plant must be effective. There seems to be very few cases in there so the time gap between cases must be fairly big which to me would mean either there are no close contacts or the close contacts come back negative.

But that's just my thinking on it.

It would be interesting to hear why the employees think it will get worse.

You seem to know a lot about the place for someone that doesn't work there!,why would it be interesting to you to hear why the employees think it will get worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The protection of peoples' identities is aimed directly at idiots like you.

Well argued point.

I don’t give a **** about people’s identities. I do give a **** about how, after three and a half weeks of lockdown, after 8 months of daily news, information and lectures about this virus, that we can have roughly a quarter of the total infections in one day that we had in the first five months of the pandemic. And we are not eve told if it is a widespread result, a fluke, individual madness or WTF. How is this helping?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Well argued point

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

You seem to know a lot about the place for someone that doesn't work there!,why would it be interesting to you to hear why the employees think it will get worse?

Well none of the things I have said are a secret. The face masks and sanitizer all have bausch and lomb branding on them.
    Iv had the "another case in B&L" texts. I'm sure every employee is aware of the positive cases when they happen, either through company notifications or the employees that tested positive telling other employees.
    The last point was an assumption.

When I heard about the first few cases months ago I was waiting for it to explode in there but it never did, and if anything you would think procedures would get better over time so it would be interesting to hear what the employees logical reasoning is behind thinking it will get worse in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Junior

22 of the 43 Cases are from Cartamundi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

21 notified

Not hugely surprised about Cartamundi tbh. As factories go, it's pretty archaic, think early 20th century style assembly line. It will be nearly as bad as a meat factory for virus spread.

B & L and the likes of Sanofi and similar shouldnt be too risky, the layout and nature of work will lend themselves to social distancing without too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Cartamundi was the location of the first outbreak in Waterford back in early March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

If this happened in Asia
    whole factory would be shut down for deep clean and all employees tested & quarantined
    But aah shur well be grand gel the oul hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Hoffmans wrote: »
    If this happened in Asia
    whole factory would be shut down for deep clean and all employees tested & quarantined
    But aah shur well be grand gel the oul hands...

As a non essential factory it could be closed and deep cleaned etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

spookwoman wrote: »
    As a non essential factory it could be closed and deep cleaned etc

Can someone enlighten me as to what they actually do there? I've always wondered.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Can someone enlighten me as to what they actually do there? I've always wondered.

Had to look it up myself, they produce board games.

Board games. Mostly nothing is "made" on site apart from the printed card. The components are put into boxes by hand from a moving conveyor and then palleted etc by hand too. Has to be seen to be believed, I honestly didn't think places like that were still possible in Western Europe but there you go. Mad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

They used to be Milton Bradley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

BL have more cases we'll see the figures tuesday,
    Crazy all these cases being contracted in supposed L5 not much adhering to guidlines in waterford perfect storm for donegal situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

In fairness this lock down hasnt been as harsh as the first one, very few check points going on, schools open and more people out and about shopping and still parties going on too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Hoffmans wrote: »
    BL have more cases we'll see the figures tuesday,
    Crazy all these cases being contracted in supposed L5 not much adhering to guidlines in waterford perfect storm for donegal situation.

Any idea how many? Will it be announced that specifically B&L have X amount?

Latest schools
    Em0ayZuXcAMSmkF?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hoffmans wrote:
    If this happened in Asia whole factory would be shut down for deep clean and all employees tested & quarantined But aah shur well be grand gel the oul hands...

Depends what part of Asia, tis a big place, I suspect some parts are still like the wild west, where lifes not just cheap, it's a commodity! Thailand sounds like they have their sh1t in order with this virus, but underneath it all, it's a dodgy enough country.
    Board games. Mostly nothing is "made" on site apart from the printed card. The components are put into boxes by hand from a moving conveyor and then palleted etc by hand too. Has to be seen to be believed, I honestly didn't think places like that were still possible in Western Europe but there you go. Mad place.

Favourable tax is a great incentive!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ikeano29 wrote: »
    They used to be Milton Bradley

They used to be Hasbro no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gael23 wrote: »

Yeah gone through quite a few names now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Favourable tax is a great incentive!

In the covid thread? Seriously?

Just shut the fcuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Who buys board games in this year of playstations?? I get that some people and families still use them but i presume most of their user base is shipped out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Who buys board games in this year of playstations?? I get that some people and families still use them but i presume most of their user base is shipped out of Ireland.

I don't know the answer to your question, but as coincidence would have it my 11 year old informed me just yesterday that she'd like a board game for Christmas, but hasn't yet decided on which one!

kuang1 wrote: »
    I don't know the answer to your question, but as coincidence would have it my 11 year old informed me just yesterday that she'd like a board game for Christmas, but hasn't yet decided on which one!

We have a good few board games. Kid loves them and a great way to spend an evening together minus technology tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Gael23 wrote: »

It was originally MB then Hasbro and now Cartamundi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Waterford 14 day rate now higher than Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

spookwoman wrote: »
    Latest schools
    Em0ayZuXcAMSmkF?format=jpg&name=900x900

That's all we know about, the HSE are also only consider the kids in a pod as close contacts.
    They are all breathing in the same air, they are using the same toilet & are all playing together on break times so I think the whole class should be treated as a close contact.
    That's only the primary schools.
    The secondary schools have their own issues as well.

Advertisement