Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus in waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Gael23 wrote: »
    Waterford 14 day rate now higher than Dublin.

That's not good at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

15-11-2020-Waterford.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kuang1 wrote: »
    In the covid thread? Seriously?

Just shut the fcuk up.

no!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Flow Motion

Deise Vu wrote: »

I don’t give a **** about people’s identities. I do give a **** about how, after three and a half weeks of lockdown, after 8 months of daily news, information and lectures about this virus, that we can have roughly a quarter of the total infections in one day that we had in the first five months of the pandemic. And we are not eve told if it is a widespread result, a fluke, individual madness or WTF. How is this helping?

Now that is how to vent! Seems like a volcano erupted somewhere on Mount Deise on Friday the 13th! To answer your rant : surely after 8 months you are aware that its a highly infectious disease? Numbers will always fluctuate. Seeking an indepth analysis of the whereabouts of the 43 is irrational. Am I sensing a witchhunt? What do you suggest? Paint an unclean symbol on the houses of the infected? :rolleyes:
    There is one hell of a lot of catastrophising on the past few pages. Anybody know what the numbers were like on the days before and after the 13th?? Obviously not as bad otherwise this message board would have self destructed in 5 seconds :pac: Mission Impossible in Waterford it seems :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

You should talk to your brother, advise him to cop on with the sensationalism.

You cant talk stupid to stupid. He has already had to issue 1 public apology in regards to Covid 19.Elsewhere, 2 complaints made by a local anti racism group. On WLR this morning trying to cover his arse.

• Advertisement

Gardner wrote: »
    You cant talk stupid to stupid. He has already had to issue 1 public apology in regards to Covid 19.Elsewhere, 2 complaints made by a local anti racism group. On WLR this morning trying to cover his arse.

Speaking of zealots and crusaders I see Herr Tony Holohan is on the soapbox yet again : "We are seeing a number of things which concern us. There are examples of small numbers of people congregating for social purposes and simply ignoring the important public health messages. They are putting our collective progress at risk." Followed by
    NPHET has warned that people may be "taking their eyes off the ball"

Anyone else think this somewhat dystopian and patronising? You can almost visualise him in some futuristic Ivory Tower watching our every little move. Probably wants us @ Level 5+++. No prizes for guessing the identity of 'the Grinch that stole Christmas 2020'!:(

Speaking of zealots and crusaders I see Herr Tony Holohan is on the soapbox yet again : "We are seeing a number of things which concern us. There are examples of small numbers of people congregating for social purposes and simply ignoring the important public health messages. They are putting our collective progress at risk." Followed by

Anyone else think this somewhat dystopian and patronising? You can almost visualise him in some futuristic Ivory Tower watching our every little move. Probably wants us @ Level 5+++. No prizes for guessing the identity of 'the Grinch that stole Christmas 2020'!:(

How is telling the truth patronising?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭aziz

But are we being told the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

aziz wrote: »

Why do you think the government/HSE/NPHET are not telling the truth? What do they have to gain from not telling the truth? What exactly do you think they're not telling the truth about?

aziz wrote: »

theres not really a large scale conspiracy occuring within our governments, there is of course fcuk ups and mistakes being made, but thats fairly normal to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is he wrong? If so how? Have you seen our numbers. If we don;t get our act together then I can see us being put into "special measures" along with one or two other counties as everyone else reverts to Level 3.

spookwoman wrote: »
    How is telling the truth patronising?

Truth?? Hang on a sec... I might just refer you back to Dr Tony's untruths and despicable behaviour as CMO during the cervival care scandal a few years ago:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20470821.html.

This is what is colloquially know as evidence. Meanwhile, what is "patronising" is your willingness to dismiss his historical misdemeanors to fuel your Covid narrative. Deify the man at your peril!

In a few years when this has all died down we will all realise himself and his NPHET buds were given too much power and say in how we dealt with this pandemic. A leopard never changes his spots. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. ;)

Are you disputing the numbers?

Truth?? Hang on a sec... I might just refer you back to Dr Tony's untruths and despicable behaviour as CMO during the cervival care scandal a few years ago:

This is what is colloquially know as evidence. Meanwhile, what is "patronising" is your willingness to dismiss his historical misdemeanors to fuel your Covid narrative. Deify the man at your peril!

In a few years when this has all died down we will all realise himself and his NPHET buds were given too much power and say in how we dealt with this pandemic. A leopard never changes his spots. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. ;)

I am well aware of the cervical scandal and am no fan of Tony, but how the hell is telling people "
    There are examples of small numbers of people congregating for social purposes and simply ignoring the important public health messages. They are putting our collective progress at risk."[/I] Followed by
    (
    a lie or patronising.
    I don't know if you have some type of filter blocking the videos of South William street and like coming up on your computer and the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The numbers are lies?

spookwoman wrote: »
    I don't know if you have some type of filter blocking the videos of South William street and like coming up on your computer and the news.

I actually heard the owner of The Bankers Bar on the radio earlier which is in the area. He said although the video looked bad withing a few mins the Gardai had come and dispersed the crowd and the place was empty. Stuff like this on social media goes viral and we are all meant to gasp in faux outrage and wag our fingers.

So rather than focusing your browsing filters on all negatives open your eyes and look at the rest of the news

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1116/1178442-coronavirus-vaccine/

Last week Pfizer announced 90% efficacy. Today Moderna announce 94.5% efficacy. Personally I'd rather read about this type of "positive" stuff than scrutinise the local numbers in minute detail by townland, parish and even schools :eek: Whatever are you going to do when this is all done and dusted? All those spreadsheets consigned to the wastebasket of history! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I think this article by Jennifer O'Connell in Irish Times of 14th Nov is worth a read.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/jennifer-o-connell-the-government-s-speculation-on-christmas-is-infantilising-1.4408571

We all read that I think, the moment it appeared cases started rising here. I'm not blaming her but...! :D

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I think this article by Jennifer O'Connell in Irish Times of 14th Nov is worth a read.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/jennifer-o-connell-the-government-s-speculation-on-christmas-is-infantilising-1.4408571

I read that myself on Saturday. Good article. Well written. Balanced. Open minded. A Waterford lady too. Love the parting line... "the second best thing [about 2021] was that we remembered how dysfunctional it is to have this level of State interference in our private lives". And judging by her comments on Dr Tone I think we may be kindred spirits:D Dr Tony Holohan took it upon himself, again, to chide the public that the shape of Christmas will depend on whether we “manage to keep up the very high standards of behaviour for the full six weeks”

We all read that I think, the moment it appeared cases started rising here. I'm not blaming her but...! :D

Again too quick to judge. Wrong article!:rolleyes: Nothing to do with Waterford this time but the Govts infantile approach to the GP and Christmas.
    Obviously too smug to click on the link and read it! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yes i cant take much to Tony at all id say hes a right tyrant behind closed doors, he has that vibe in waves. Thing is, he is telling the truth but there is a season to everything. When this was new and scary we all did what we were told back in March, but now a lot of people arent taking too kindly to being told what to do by a man on a mega salary in an unsackable job. A man who wont ever have to claim PUP or close a pub.
    I know thats irrelevant to his advice and his data, which is health- orientated but at this stage a lot of people are just saying to hell with it, ive lost my friends, job and freedom so im going to do whatever the hell i want. Clifden Gate and the insistence on Judge up his own backside on remaining in his position, despite everyone telling him what he did was wrong, certainly doesnt add to a sense that we are all in this together. So the current season is "ah who cares". And i dont blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Glad to read the patriots are voicing their epidemiological research here.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I believe in masks, in social distancing and in hand washing etc for the record.

An article by David Quinn in Sunday Times of 15th Nov titled:

NPHET's numbers never added up to level five

is worth reading. I find myself agreeing with the writer that government was bounced or wanted to be bounced into it because the system, HSE and DoH failed miserably (mostly the same people who have consistently failed to deliver a proper Irish health service) during the summer hiatus to embed a reasonable Covid test, track and trace protocol. Mr. Quinn subtitled his article:

Tony Holohan has become the most powerful man in the country.

Apologies for not supplying link. Doesn't seem possible on that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Why do you think the government/HSE/NPHET are not telling the truth? What do they have to gain from not telling the truth? What exactly do you think they're not telling the truth about?

Perhaps they want them to follow Trump's strategy and tell them that it's all right and will end in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Where is Ronan Glynn gone? Havent seen him at any press briefings or doing any interviews for weeks now.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I believe in masks, in social distancing and in hand washing etc for the record.

An article by David Quinn in Sunday Times of 15th Nov titled:

NPHET's numbers never added up to level five

is worth reading. I find myself agreeing with the writer that government was bounced or wanted to be bounced into it because the system, HSE and DoH failed miserably (mostly the same people who have consistently failed to deliver a proper Irish health service) during the summer hiatus to embed a reasonable Covid test, track and trace protocol. Mr. Quinn subtitled his article:

Tony Holohan has become the most powerful man in the country.

Apologies for not supplying link. Doesn't seem possible on that paper.

times is paywall i think, absolutely, our health care systems failures have been extremely highlighted by covid, this is from probably decades of neglect, sadly i suspect, this wont change it at all, it shows policies such as austerity are in fact dangerous

I actually heard the owner of The Bankers Bar on the radio earlier which is in the area. He said although the video looked bad withing a few mins the Gardai had come and dispersed the crowd and the place was empty. Stuff like this on social media goes viral and we are all meant to gasp in faux outrage and wag our fingers.

So rather than focusing your browsing filters on all negatives open your eyes and look at the rest of the news

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1116/1178442-coronavirus-vaccine/

Last week Pfizer announced 90% efficacy. Today Moderna announce 94.5% efficacy. Personally I'd rather read about this type of "positive" stuff than scrutinise the local numbers in minute detail by townland, parish and even schools :eek: Whatever are you going to do when this is all done and dusted? All those spreadsheets consigned to the wastebasket of history! :pac:

Faux rage, where are you getting this stuff from. It doesn't matter if they were moved on soon after, it still happened. I'd believe what I saw in the video and what the shop owners said about what they had to clean up before I'd listen to a pub owner who has a vested interest in staying open.
    Great news about the vaccines but guess what, it is still being tested and not available to the public. You also know that it takes time to produce and roll out this stuff and that you don't magically get it straight away? Yeah, welcome to reality where sh*t happens and there is no use wearing rose tinted glasses and blaming NPHET or Tony for people acting the gobsh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Now that is how to vent! Seems like a volcano erupted somewhere on Mount Deise on Friday the 13th! To answer your rant : surely after 8 months you are aware that its a highly infectious disease? Numbers will always fluctuate. Seeking an indepth analysis of the whereabouts of the 43 is irrational. Am I sensing a witchhunt? What do you suggest? Paint an unclean symbol on the houses of the infected? :rolleyes:
    There is one hell of a lot of catastrophising on the past few pages. Anybody know what the numbers were like on the days before and after the 13th?? Obviously not as bad otherwise this message board would have self destructed in 5 seconds :pac: Mission Impossible in Waterford it seems :pac:

You accuse me of ranting when you have completely ignored what I posted and proceed to use words like witch-hunt and painting symbols on doors when I started by saying specifically that I wasn’t looking for identities.

If you think 43 cases in one day is explained by this being a highly infectious disease you are even dumber than the standard of your posts would indicate. If it happened a month ago, it could have been, at a massive stretch, down to one or two super spreader events but it happened after three and a half weeks of lockdown when the entire country is going in the opposite direction.

That suggests that the statistics are off or someone dropped the ball catastrophically. In my view we need to be told how and why or it will just demoralize those us who are doing the right thing. It might also serve as a huge lesson for everyone on what not to do. That doesn’t mean naming people or places, just events that obviously should be avoided in future.

I hope that isn’t too much of a rant for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Where is Ronan Glynn gone? Havent seen him at any press briefings or doing any interviews for weeks now.

After Tony returned to claim his throne back, he brought Ronan out the back of the Dept of Health and put him down.

• Advertisement

Another 21 cases here today
    CARTAMUNDI CONFIRM A NUMBER OF COVID CASES
    https://waterford-news.ie/2020/11/16/cartamundi-confirm-a-number-of-covid-cases/

16-11-2020.jpg

Advertisement