Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Of Us 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ellen Page as Ellie?

Never heard them being compared, no never....

Jokes aside she does look a lot like Ellie but at 33 can’t be playing a young teen

Id rather have some unknown actress come in because it could easily be a breakout role if done right, let whoever plays Joel be the established Holywood guy, I wouldnt be opposed to Hugh Jackman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Page said she didn't appreciate her likeness being ripped off by Naughty Dog and even though she still looks young in umbrella academy, would be too old for this.

Elijah Wood getting excited about this on twitter and made me think he would be a ****ing brilliant David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,111 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Have they said if the show is basically a tv version of the first game or is it set in the same universe? As in, will Joel and Ellie actually be the main characters or could it even be set just after the outbreak with completely new characters

Edit- Scratch that
    https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1235619903568097280?s=19

Have they said if the show is basically a tv version of the first game or is it set in the same universe? As in, will Joel and Ellie actually be the main characters or could it even be set just after the outbreak with completely new characters

I read that Craig is a huge fan of the game and both him and Neil are looking to recreate the original story with the possibility to extend it when the 2nd game is out.

Compared to the Uncharted movie where They couldn't see eye to eye and naughty dog have nothing to do with the film, you know it's gonna be a load of bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Casting is gonna be the trickiest thing with this. Would be better with unknowns im ok. Jake Gyllenhaal would be an obvious choice but he would take away from the experience i think. The girl in the recent Netflix series "i am not okay with this" could be a good Ellie.

I was thinking the girl from "The End of the Fúcking World" provided she can do an American accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I'd rather an animation with the voice cast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,854 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was thinking this would be a disaster but they've got an excellent director and the original writer and creator on board. This could actually be good ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

J. Marston wrote: »
    I was thinking the girl from "The End of the Fúcking World" provided she can do an American accent.

I love Jess Barden but she's 27-28 it would be a stretch, still think she'd be great but would have to play her older which would change it

• I'd rather they didn't cast Joel and Ellie

Do something else like maybe Tommy's story

There is so much potential in the world of TLOU

• Advertisement

That can be the fourth movie. The Last of Us IV : A New Hope. Actually that can be this one and then they can do a trilogy sequel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Ever since Logan I thought Hugh Jackman would make a great Joel, prob a bit too old though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

If they're going for a big name, Hugh Jackman or Anson Mount would be ideal. Kinda agree with earlier comments that unknown talent might be best or else expectations could be unattainably sky high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just posted in the Television thread, but my pick for Joel would be Jon Hamm, with an unknown playing Ellie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Since it's on HBO it's going to be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I love Jess Barden but she's 27-28 it would be a stretch, still think she'd be great but would have to play her older which would change it

In TEOTFW she played 18-19 and had me fooled. Was surprised when I found out she's 27.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau could be a good Joel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Now where do I apply to become a clicker for the TV show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Who needs a straight adaptation when you have A Quiet Place basically being The Last of Us films? Seriously: the trailer for the second one starts with a scene that is basically the early car scene in TLOU!

Never heard of that film until I seen the trailer for part 2 at the cinema 2 weeks back and thought the same.

Watched part one last weekend and thought it was god awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

RasTa wrote: »
    Watched part one last weekend and thought it was god awful

Personally I thought a Quiet place was the best horror film of the last decade. I cant wait for this, of all the adaptations of games in the works TLOU is definitely the most likely to be great

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,854 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Greyfox wrote: »
    Personally I thought a Quiet place was the best horror film of the last decade. I cant wait for this, of all the adaptations of games in the works TLOU is definitely the most likely to be great

There's way better horror films. Really enjoyed the Witch. But despite it's flaws I thoroughly enjoyed quiet place. Carried a real sense of tension throughout and looking forward to the sequel.

• Advertisement

It was so terrible I wished the whole family died in the first scene and saved me 90mins.

Just go live by the waterfall then and stop the rest of the rubbish. The Witch was decent, Hereditary up there too.

• maxresdefault.jpg

5e664f91d136c.image.jpg?resize=760%2C507

Freaked out yet?

It is April....The Last of Us 2 releases in May.... **** the Corona Virus.

Zero you're going to have to join us in the 21st century and go digital
    I must make sure I'm working from home in May. If this shutdown is still in place my productivity will tank in May

It is April....The Last of Us 2 releases in May.... **** the Corona Virus.

Bad news :(
    https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1245773177944281089?s=19

**** off Eoin with your late April's Fools.

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH there are more important things going on now then the launch of any game. Above all hope this gives the Naughty Dog folk some time to rest up and recharge before post-launch support - reports suggest it’s been gruelling for them even without the whole coronavirus crisis, so hopefully this relieves some of the pressure on them.

Yeah hope they do but can see them lashing into bugs. An insider told Schreier "the game is basically done".

In the mean time, here are some new screenshots. My god they look pretty.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1245783326704705538?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Just put it on PSN FFS, release physical when able

Just put it on PSN FFS, release physical when able

There are people with slow internet connections.

There are people who've pre-ordered physical editions.

There are people who mightn't be able to afford a full price download but can save a few quid on physical copies.

The internet if they released it like that would be a ****show of spoilers, trolling and general shenanigans.

They've made the right call. Everyone can wait together for a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Still plenty of people that go physical only, if they're waiting what could be a month or more they might just wait another few for a sale.

Any additional digital sales and inherently higher margins might not make up for the loss sales.

I'd be all for relaeasing on digital early only people are asshats and the internet is their kung fu

The delay is nothing to do with internet spoilers or some kumbaya bull**** of everyone waiting together. They would love to release it digitally in May but contractually they can't.

It's delayed because Sony value their relationship with physical retailers. The big physical retailers will already have huge pre-orders for the title and probably there are contractual stipulations that it cannot be released on digital first etc.

Also Sony are very reliant on brick & mortar shops to sell consoles. With a new system on the horizon they are being careful not to upset the large chain stores. A boycott (or small instore presence) of one or other system by a giant like Walmart would have a major impact on a system.

I don't see it being released until physical stores are open again. **** knows when that will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yep. Give it time. Be the Naughtydog studio we trust and not Ubisoft: Give it time to REALLY beta-test it/iron out those last bugs. Give your staff time to breathe and reduce that final crunch. And, it must be said, maybe don't release a bleak post-pandemic game in the middle of a global pandemic. Everybody has more important things to worry about. (That's not a dig).

Don't get me wrong: I'm gutted. FF7 and TLOU2 were going to be my last PS4 purchases. TLOU is one of my favourite games but they have made the right decision.

This will probably at least delay the HBO series as well. I'm sure you'll have all the handwringers in the US wailing about poor taste, yadda yadda yadda. (The same people who kicked up such a fuss over the Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers title.)

No question there are solely economic and practical concerns around the delay - that is Sony’s motivation 100%. Can’t deny that for a second.

Releasing it only digitally would have created annoying issues for many players as well (~100gb downloads still are a bloody nuisance on PS4 even with a good broadband connection), though, so it’s for the best that everyone has to hold out, even if that isn’t Sony’s motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Wonder will they make this a PS5 launch title now altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'd imagine the next gen consoles will also be delayed at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

First Cyberpunk and now this :(:(:(

Am I correct in thinking this was due out in February originally as well?

So in an alternative reality I would both of these games finished by now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

uwvmq55qsxk41.jpg

Think these would be great shouts!

I don't think this game was ever intended for release on PS4.

It has been pushed back twice or three times already and I'd say they always intended to delay the game beyond its May 29th release anyway.

Sony want this as a PS5 launch title.

I don't think this game was ever intended for release on PS4.

It has been pushed back twice or three times already and I'd say they always intended to delay the game beyond its May 29th release anyway.

Sony want this as a PS5 launch title.
    A game like this costs so much money to make, they couldn't afford to skip the PS4 with it's 90m install base.

Launch games don't make a lot of money. In the first 6 months of a new console there are usually less than 10 million hardware owners, it limits your potential sales.

It's why we never really see any "killer" system-exclusive launch titles any more. It's mostly cross-gen stuff for the first year (or two!) of a console, or cheap-to-make titles. It's totally different from the old days when games were quick/cheap to make and killer launch titles were viable & common.

And even though the ps4 version should work on ps5, i can see a separate ps5 version with extra bells and whistles.

A game like this costs so much money to make, they couldn't afford to skip the PS4 with it's 90m install base.

Launch games don't make a lot of money. In the first 6 months of a new console there are usually less than 10 million hardware owners, it limits your potential sales.

It's why we never really see any "killer" system-exclusive launch titles any more. It's mostly cross-gen stuff for the first year (or two!) of a console, or cheap-to-make titles. It's totally different from the old days when games were quick/cheap to make and killer launch titles were viable & common.

Infamous 4 on PS4 was a pretty big launch title

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,258 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Wasn't a launch title. Came out in March, 4 months after PS4 launch.

PS4 had very few decent launch title exclusives. I spent most of the time on PS4 playing AC: Black Flag & Madden until proper games started to come out post-Xmas.

TLOU2 was definitely never planned to just be for PS5. Like the first game, in many ways it's acting as the console's swansong. They'll definitely release it on PS4 and that was always the plan. They wouldn't have said otherwise, put out release dates and then fake delays.

It'll be playable on PS5, both through backwards compatibility and maybe an enhanced GOTY edition after a year or so. But it's coming to PS4 regardless.

There will be exceptions of course. But if you look at PS4 games released in 2013/2014, most of them are cross-gen titles or (reasonably) short-development titles. The really good stuff came later.

I expect PS5 launch line-up to be similar, a lot of cross-gen stuff and remasters.
    Zero-Cool wrote:
    And even though the ps4 version should work on ps5, i can see a separate ps5 version with extra bells and whistles.
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they handle cross-gen titles ... do they offer a free enhancement patch, do they sell a dedicated PS5 version which is better than the enchanced PS4 version etc.

These kind of details I think we'd all like more info on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its strange that he says no decision has been made yet on a digital release. The lack of a release date means I think they might put it out to retail on relatively short notice when the opportunity comes. I don't think many retail games will release on time for the forseeable future mind you.
    I guess they know a 100+GB download from a digital only release with the current PSN speeds will lead to issues with the network in a time where its already under pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ERG89 wrote: »
    Its strange that he says no decision has been made yet on a digital release. The lack of a release date means I think they might put it out to retail on relatively short notice when the opportunity comes. I don't think many retail games will release on time for the forseeable future mind you.
    I guess they know a 100+GB download from a digital only release with the current PSN speeds will lead to issues with the network in a time where its already under pressure.

Relatively short notice surely means a month wouldn't it? The worst with this and no release date will be the rumours from sources in production or shipping, it'll be non stop for a while with lots of cockteasing from the various usual places

• Advertisement
Advertisement