Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I was reading about cat allergies yesterday and discovered that Pine oil is actually poisonous to cats which is really disappointing. Even if it's in the air it will land on their fur and they then ingest it when they groom. Something to bear in mind for anyone with kitties in their houses. So I'll have to find some other way to make my house smell of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Wow - just 5 weeks - you guys have really cheered me up this morning!!

Actually - it's just two weeks until the Toy Show - this is getting real!! Definitely have to get started on cleaning/tidying this weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Me four! :D

Proper icy out this morning, car had a wobble on the way to dropping the kids to school. Thankfully Mr. CL was driving as I was having a flashback to when I crashed the car on the same stretch of road at the beginning of the beast from the east. Not helped by the fact that there had already been a tip in the same spot this morning! Will have to find a different route to the creche - which is hard when you live in the sticks and the routes are limited & generally crap roads.

Glad to hear all ok CL. Can be very scary, had the backend swing out on a roundabout (later found out some oil had split on the road) and the feeling of helplessness is not nice. Luckily was in car on my own and no harm done.

@LoughC

Boss, is it rude to enquire how the post count is going mid way through the month??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    @LoughC

Boss, is it rude to enquire how the post count is going mid way through the month??

Dont worry, your contributions are noted :D:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »
    Dont worry, your contributions are noted :D:D

D'oh.... I though I was being subtle :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I was reading about cat allergies yesterday and discovered that Pine oil is actually poisonous to cats which is really disappointing. Even if it's in the air it will land on their fur and they then ingest it when they groom. Something to bear in mind for anyone with kitties in their houses. So I'll have to find some other way to make my house smell of Christmas.

??? bolded.

In decades of cats and pine and other oil never a problem , . So I am continuing to use it.

NB I just checked this and there is apparently a "raging debate" about this. Two sides, as re various other pet foods etc eg milk.

You use oils very very sparingly. Too costly etc else and the aroma spreads without actual contact.. A little on a lower branch of your tree will be enough.

AND! As Christmas trees contain pine oil they would need to be banished? I have had cats ( and I have 5 cats climbing and clawing pine trees, indoors and out.

Maybe the pine oil is more of an issue if used in one of those misty yokes. Good tip nonetheless Molly. I personally wouldn't take the risk after my cat got a tiny bit of Lily pollen on his fur, groomed himself and ended up having to have his kidneys flushed.

Graces7 wrote: »

AND! As Christmas trees contain pine oil they would need to be banished? I have had cats ( and I have 5 cats climbing and clawing pine trees, indoors and out.

The oil you buy is far more concentrated though. I wouldn't panic over the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Actually - it's just two weeks until the Toy Show - this is getting real!! Definitely have to get started on cleaning/tidying this weekend!!

I need to get my cleaning buzz on but I've zero energy and zero interest in doing it this year. I think I'll make a list of what's in the freezers with a view to emptying them in the next two weeks & defrosting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

Major excitement here, getting the tree tomorrow.

Wanted a real one, but going for pre decorated as it matches the colour in the room so well, Herself keeps asking can we put it up and it is killing me saying no!!

We have the bed sheets in and a few decos, space made for stuff so it is all getting real.

Going to do a big shop on black Friday & have begun stocking up the shed. Needless to say himself has taken the keys off me to avoid a snackcident or worse a winecident :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 CeeCeeBloom

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I need to get my cleaning buzz on but I've zero energy and zero interest in doing it this year. I think I'll make a list of what's in the freezers with a view to emptying them in the next two weeks & defrosting them.

We bought an oil recently & dumped it, I love the pine smell but this was overkill, It sent me to bed with a headache and a queasy stomach.

Do love the real deal smell, we used to get one and have a real fire back home the smell & warmth is such a lovely memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Graces7 wrote: »
    ??? bolded.

In decades of cats and pine and other oil never a problem , . So I am continuing to use it.

NB I just checked this and there is apparently a "raging debate" about this. Two sides, as re various other pet foods etc eg milk.

You use oils very very sparingly. Too costly etc else and the aroma spreads without actual contact.. A little on a lower branch of your tree will be enough.

I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else what to do with their pets Grace, I just thought it prudent to pass on the information that I read. I'll be passing on the oil I've bought to my family with no pets anyway because even if you've never had a problem with it, I just couldn't take that chance.

The oil you buy is far more concentrated though. I wouldn't panic over the tree.

I don't have a tree and when I did never an issue

But yes oil is in the tree and oil from a bottle should not be anywhere near a cat.
    As an experienced cat breeder etc..I am very aware and very knowledgeable .

The real trouble is that folk drastically overuse oils and sprinkle them liberally ONE drop is enough for a room. Not sprinkled so no danger. Just a single drop in eg a small bowl of water or on cotton wool away from any critter will perfume a whole room. Not the idea that you are using it wholesale. My small bottle has lasted several years already.

They speak of it being in the air which it is not.

I read several google entries on this and there are as many contesting the theory

Bleach and household cleaners are far more toxic.

But there we are! lol.. My place will be redolent of pine as always. Just lovely

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else what to do with their pets Grace, I just thought it prudent to pass on the information that I read. I'll be passing on the oil I've bought to my family with no pets anyway because even if you've never had a problem with it, I just couldn't take that chance.

It was prudent of me to counter the false claims too! Your tree is more "danger" than a drop of oil, ie no danger . If used correctly it cannot get into the air or on fur, and the only risk is overuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The light projectors are set up opposite the Custom's House again. I get my bus from there, and they really brightened up my commute home last year, looking forward to them being switched on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

pigtail33 wrote: »
    The light projectors are set up opposite the Custom's House again. I get my bus from there, and they really brightened up my commute home last year, looking forward to them being switched on.

That has remined me. I must dig out the laser projector I bought last year and make sure I have all the bits and bods to run a line to the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,297 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I honestly can't believe that in five weeks we'll be into Christmas week, the schools will be off and all the fresh turkeys, etc will be out!
    It's sort of scary!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    @LoughC

975 posts up to and including today :)

We’re almost half way in the month and we are almost half way to last years total :)

Just back from town Tesco's have poinsettias and I saw an apartment with a tree and window lights and a house with candle bridges in the window!

• Advertisement

We're into the thirties!

Can't believe we're half ways through November and less than fifteen days until Advent calender's can be opened in December!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We're into the thirties!

Can't believe we're half ways through November and less than fifteen days until Advent calender's can be opened in December!

How. Just how 39 days. Like seriously can time slow down now please.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,842 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Loughc wrote: »
    How. Just how 39 days. Like seriously can time slow down now please.

Ha I agree !
    It's double edged , on one hand can't wait for it to arrive , on the other , just a few extra days to get everything sorted please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Major excitement here, getting the tree tomorrow.

Wanted a real one, but going for pre decorated as it matches the colour in the room so well, Herself keeps asking can we put it up and it is killing me saying no!!

We have the bed sheets in and a few decos, space made for stuff so it is all getting real.

Going to do a big shop on black Friday & have begun stocking up the shed. Needless to say himself has taken the keys off me to avoid a snackcident or worse a winecident :eek::eek:

Absolutely cracking up with laughter here. I'm only too familiar with a snackcident. I've zero self control. I mean none at all. So I also hand over the keys of the shed. But a winecident is hilarious, id have it drank. Glad I'm not the only one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Just back from a short holiday in Portugal. Arrived home late last night and drove through Douglas Village only to see lots of Christmas lights - magical, but damned cold. We’re in the 30’s now :)

Homestore and more just sent out a text saying This CHRISTMAS, Home Store + More have 3 great 1/2 Price offers. ALL CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTS, ALL CHRISTMAS TABLE LINEN & ALL CASHEL LIVING GIFTWARE are 1/2 PRICE. Use code 053655 FROM TODAY in store or online at www.vip.hsandm.ie; but hurry because when they're gone, they're gone!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Loughc wrote: »
    Try clearing your cookies and cache and see if your recent purchases go away, it might help hopefully. As you said you'd love to keep that amazing surprise a surprise.

Clearing the cookies didn't help but with a lot of research of a lot of posts written by frustrated people who's surprises were nearly or actually were ruined by Amazon's stupid system I eventually learned that I had to archive all my orders. Which is actually a bit of a nerve wracking thing to do before I actually receive them in case something goes wrong with the order. But hopefully the email confirmations I have will suffice if I have a problem. And now my laptop won't suddenly give my Santa game away if S is sitting next to me at the wrong moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Morning everyone, chilly morning out there, wow into the 30s now I agree a few extra days please to get everything done
    I tackled my kitchen presses and utility room yesterday all clean and tidy, I was quite happy with myself till I realised I forgot one press il tackle that shortly
    I had to make a return to M&S this morning I got my chocolate supplies while I was there, I'll leave them in my mams till nearer Christmas, I'll have to make another trip to M&S their dark chocolate dates were out in January I want some dark chocolates as part of a gift

DVB enjoy the Christmas GAA celebrations this evening

Whats everyone else up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

First of the neighbours have their Christmas tree up. i was out walking the dog and stopped in front of the house to just stare at it.
    I was pushing the wife to get the tree up in the last week in Nov but she is having none of it. :)
    We are going to IKEA later, do they do anything for Christmas up there?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well feck I've been coerced into taking down the Christmas decorations later today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement