Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

SarahLil wrote: »
    What an awful evening in Dublin and around the country by the sounds of it glad to be on the sofa catching up on threads here

Had to make a quick trip to Woodies today I had a peak at the Christmas stuff it didn't look like everything was out but I did notice a lot of colours that I wouldn't really have seen before creeping in... Silver&Teal Santas, Santas with Rose Gold/blush pink colours on him and Snowmen the same
    No plain traditional Silver or Gold in the Snowmen and Santas, I did see some green and red
    Woodies was quite pricey I seen a Santa about 50cm hight 45euro with 20% off

Going to have a look at the Range online and Homestore see if something catches by eye

B&C wishing you good health and like the others said the Christmas you want

As I cannot shop in person I order online and checked Woodies. Yes I found them expensive . "Going" elsewhere... need simple candles and shocked at the prices. Missing the pound shops..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Woodies is generally expensive and they generally improve when they have about the 50% or 70% off sale on later on in November!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Hope you’re ok B&C!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Guys! do we ever do a meetup or anything? I think it'd be great craic.

I'm determined to have a good Christmas MY way this year. I don't think I said it, but I'm only just back to work after 2 months off- I had to have a tumour removed from my spine back in September. I spent a RAKE of my time off sitting and sewing cushion covers and other festive presents, so that's been great. I can't believe it's only 6 weeks til Christmas Eve, it's so crazy!

I’d love a meet-up I really think it’d be the best craic ever ye all seem like lovey people up for a bit of craic. My kind of folk :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Apparently it was snowing in Meath/Laois today. Very festive :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Baby and crumble, sorry to hear about your health problems,
    hope you are doing well now and that you get Christmas your way !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »
    Apparently it was snowing in Meath/Laois today. Very festive :D

I’ve seen pictures of portlaoise on FB

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Baby and Crumble , hope you're doing ok now , and enjoy Christmas , your theme song for it this year should be My Way :)

Snow ?
    We had lot's of snow here this afternoon/early evening . Roads were dicey enough at times , especially when braking . On the flip side , it was very scenic and Christmas like :)

No snow out here but a vicious, spiteful north near-gale. Makes for hot porridge and soup, hot water bottle and cuddle the cats.

The mighty ocean does not observe Christmas.. listening to the tide crashing rocks on the shore behind my small dwelling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jude13

Have whopper of a festive hangover today following a company work night out. Didn't finish till 1.30 and was up at 6.

A christmas forum drinks sounds good, as I only have a few days home and already annoy family with the limited amount I time I spend on either side of the country I would be difficult for me but I'd love to see pics if it happens. I picture everyone as elves, especially baby and crumble, working away sewing. Hope your on the mend B&C.

My OH said this morning that after work I am to take all the decorations out of the shed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Hey guys, just popping in to say hi!!! Everything is super crazy here with work and college all happening at the same time as S turned out to be super sick with glandular fever. He's spent more time out of school this term than in it but he's finally over the worst of it though we have to be super careful for the next few months while the virus completely clears his system and his spleen goes back to normal.

It was S's 7th birthday at the weekend. The long, long, long awaited birthday that he's been nearly 4 years counting down to. We had a fundraiser at the school on Friday night, his birthday party at the roller rink (thankfully cleared by both his GP and the hospital doctors) on Saturday full of his classmates who all think of me as one of their teachers because I'm doing work experience at their school. I was teaching so many kids how to skate that any other kids at the rink thought I was some sort of skating instructor and I had loads of kids coming up to me for lessons. Sunday was S's actual birthday but after he got his long awaited Lego Dimensions I had to sneak off to the bedroom and get stuck into a massive college assignment that was due on Tuesday. Then right before I handed that up, I stapled my thumb!

Can't wait to get stuck into Christmas and I have loads and loads planned but I also have another big assignment due in 4 weeks, (right after my birthday) so I'm trying to get through that bit by bit to leave me a bit freer because we're going Elftown in Galway for my birthday and I'd rather not come home from there and have to hole up working for rest of the weekend. I still have to make a 1000 piece Snowman and Snowdog jigsaw with mum and break it up into 24 sections for the advent calendar my mum does with S. And I have a Lego Christmas village that I need to divide into 24 sections too, for our advent calendar at home. I can absolutely not wait until the 11th when my last assignment is handed in and I have all of this stuff done! Then I can get on with making up the custom action figures I have planned for this year, although thankfully I'm just keeping it super simple this year! Thankfully Santa's visit to the roller rink is on the 15th, so I'll be able to just simply enjoy that!!! (In case you didn't know, Santa happens to be an excellent skater!)

Also on top of all of that, we got a new dog. A 1 year old rescue who is thankfully a pretty easy to manage little guy and we're taking him to Santa Paws next week. Which S is really excited about! https://www.facebook.com/events/713680189145004/

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

May your health be good now and you get your Christmas B&C! :)

Looks like I won't get our living room ready in time for toy show as sofa won't be delivered until start of Dec along with curtains :( but that will not stop me putting up the tree! :D Not sure if it'd last with a toddler though! ;)

Think we're gonna go to Centre Parcs next week and I will book Santa experience as it looks awesome! Hope to head to the zoo one day as well. Will put up tree when we get back then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

B&C have the best Christmas you could possibly wish for and wishing you the best of health for 2020.

xDisneyDivax - congratulations on your new home. Enjoy many happy years there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Hope you are on the mend now B&C & have a lovely Christmas! Would you post up a picture of your crafty work if you have time? I love seeing what people can make!

I got the Good Housekeeping's Christmas mag last night. Haven't read it all yet, but enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Aiming to be more organised than normal this year and have all my shopping done (either bought or ordered) by Cyber Monday. That way I can kick back and enjoy the run up without too much stress.

Have both sets of parents coming to ours for nibbles and drinks on 21st Dec- hit me with your fave party foods/ideas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Went to the shops with a list on my phone this morning, I had the Pine Oil on it that Grace7 recommended came home without it, I am going to get stuck in around the house over the next few days see want I need and make an actual paper list that I can keep taking out and looking at it

All the shiny stuff this morning distracted me I never reached for my phone at all

Sinus are at me too so going to pick up eucalyptus oil a guy in work from India recommended it, it is meant to be good for asthma too

My mams birthday today spoiled her this morning, heading for dinner today I know they are doing a Christmas menu I just hope it is on today:pac: Another birthday dinner for her Saturday at her favourite Italian

My mam got one Christmas present off her list today..for me, I love it... a classic winter coat can't wait to wear it

Whats everyones plans for the weekend? Anything festive?

Toto well done on wearing the Christmas jumper on a school night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We have our first christmas event of the season on Saturday. Our GAA club has their end of season/Christmas ball on & myself & the mrs are heading along, looking forward to it now, if nothing else its a break from all the work being done in the house (nearly there now, mainly tiling & painting left & then it'll be straight into the decorations!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My brother is going away and missing Christmas. This is his last weekend before he heads off. My other brothers are coming home today to spend time with him and on Saturday my mam is making a mini Christmas dinner for us all. Really looking forward to it. Will be bawling come Sunday though!

Oh and I'm doing some housework at the moment with Christmas music blasting round the house! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Have a look at this winter cocktails, I can't stop thinking about Irish Coffee or hot whiskey since looking at this :) They also mention hot chocolate with baileys anyone tried hot chocolate and baileys?

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/shows/irelandam/article/1.65.1482.1484/295026/Winter-Warmer-Cocktails?fbclid=IwAR1zAbNt7GTpQxg8qYJb6MB9kSJfrGxlVUKmrP7jIWkFP4BkjfVSEbIRSP4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The weather over the last few days had definitely helped to make it seem a bit more Christmassy. Certainly today anyway - nice bright, cold, crisp day.
    I got my winter coat out this week and it usually starts in the cupboard until mid December at the earliest. I even wore a scarf this evening!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks for all the good wishes guys! I really appreciate it. I’ll stick up some pics of crafts when I’m on my laptop.

If anyone fancies coming to a christmassy burlesque/cabaret show in Dublin I put some events in the events thread. I’m performing in 2 of them (as a drag king) so if you want a mini meetup and get yourselves tickets I can sort out a reserved boards table or something?

Supervalu sent their Christmas leaflet with my groceries; OH MY! So many lovely foods. Will enjoy making my small list!

Choosing a chocolate Yule Log over a Christmas cake... mmmmm

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I've been awake since 5.30 for no reason and have used that time to spend an absolute fortune on books for S. His concentration levels are way off because of the glandular fever and it's been making school very difficult for him. He got an amazing comic book from his aunt and cousins for his birthday and he's been so into reading it that I ended up searching for more along the same lines for him. Because it's great to see him be able to get stuck into reading something again. They aren't easy to find (nor are they cheap!!!!) but I found a couple. Then I found a bunch of box sets of another series of books that he's into so I bought them too. He has so much and I already had a few nice books for his Santa pile so some of these will be saved for Easter/other special occasions. And he'll have to get one sooner off me because I bought it for his cousin too, so it would be weird if Santa bought him a book that we'd bought for his cousin but not him!

Now not only have I spent LOADS on books but my bloody amazon page has a picture of some of them in the box "your recent order." Really hoping S won't see them as they are cool books he doesn't know exists and he'll be shocked that Santa found them for him. You'd think Amazon web designers would have copped on to the fact that people won't want pictures of purchases made before Christmas appearing unexpectedly on their computers!!!

Yesterday I also found and bought the very hard to find Lego Dimensions set he wants from Santa and a couple of surprise ones. So I am super excited for him to get everything!

iguana wrote: »
    Now not only have I spent LOADS on books but my bloody amazon page has a picture of some of them in the box "your recent order." Really hoping S won't see them as they are cool books he doesn't know exists and he'll be shocked that Santa found them for him. You'd think Amazon web designers would have copped on to the fact that people won't want pictures of purchases made before Christmas appearing unexpectedly on their computers!!!

Try clearing your cookies and cache and see if your recent purchases go away, it might help hopefully. As you said you'd love to keep that amazing surprise a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We finally were able to start refilling our new kitchen cupboards etc yesterday so took it as an excuse to wash everything, glasses, plates, dishes etc which can essentially double up as part of our pre christmas deep clean, couldt resist having the MTV christmas channel on in the background earlier which had us all in great form despite the mountain of cleaning & organising.

Tell you what, scraping the ice off the car this morning in the freezing cold gave me a sharp reminder of how close we are now!

This day 5 weeks I finish up for the Christmas holidays & I cant wait.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    This day 5 weeks I finish up for the Christmas holidays & I cant wait.

SAME!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    SAME!!! :D:D:D

Me three :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Me four! :D

Proper icy out this morning, car had a wobble on the way to dropping the kids to school. Thankfully Mr. CL was driving as I was having a flashback to when I crashed the car on the same stretch of road at the beginning of the beast from the east. Not helped by the fact that there had already been a tip in the same spot this morning! Will have to find a different route to the creche - which is hard when you live in the sticks and the routes are limited & generally crap roads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Me five! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement