Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

SarahLil wrote: »
    I had that tradition growing up at home too but now I have my tree plus my mams so I try do mine for the toyshow and have a little rest then do my mams house between the 8th to 10th

Oh elves it’s all getting so real

I get and decorate mine and my Mam's as well. Get them both at the same time and decorate my Mam's asap and my own decorating gets pushed back and back. Will try my best to get my own tree earlier than usual this year and get it up and decorated and then do my mams at the usual time.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,028 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any websites for cheap retro style xmas jumpers?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

tscul32 wrote: »
    Saw it today....hmmmm

YESS!!!! I was off today taking delivery of my new christmas tree (looks well and it killed me putting it back in the box) so I'll be down tomorrow at lunchtime to get my tartiflette. Cannot wait.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

We had a snowstorm a week ago (I'm in Canada) and it's been snowing on and off ever since, that seems to be the signal for when it's ok to put up your Christmas decorations. I noticed lights appearing in trees in various neighbours' gardens and loads more went up over the weekend.

Over the weekend we put up one tree but haven't decorated it yet, we also put a wreath on the front door, put lights on the bushes on each side of the door, and put a garland on the banisters of the stairs. We'll get the other tree up this week hopefully and get the decorations on them. Is there going to be a new thread for Christmas trees/decorations?

We're going to start our advent calendars on the 23rd November as well, as then we'll open the last door on the day we fly to Ireland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My local Oxfam had a rake of Christmas jumpers in all sizes... I was tempted, I really was.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oh, and that, to me, looks like cat food. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

19 and a ½ days in work left for me. :D

Tree and decorations probably going up next Tuesday or Wednesday, because I've most of next week off to spend decorating/wrapping. :):)

Have the toy show tickets been given out?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Have the toy show tickets been given out?

Not until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    Not until next week

From next week.........Constantly refreshing inbox...........I assume they email you? or do they ring you.........constantly watching phone......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

TRS30 wrote: »
    From next week.........Constantly refreshing inbox...........I assume they email you? or do they ring you.........constantly watching phone......

They will ring you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

They will ring you

Thanks. Guess will have to answer unknown numbers now :p

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got my replacement lights up. Decorating tonight with the kid. It'll be her first time contributing, almost 2 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We'll put our kitchen tree up on Dec 1st I think. Any earlier and Mr. CL might leave. :pac: In his mind, decorations shouldn't go up until December 8th. We will have our elf on the shelf arriving on the same day with our advent calendar. He'll probably make a nice Christmas themed breakfast for us too! (Any ideas of a Christmas themed breakfast, do let me know :P)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »

We have first hand experience of this as one of our elves was lucky enough to get tickets and they rang her! :)
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    We'll put our kitchen tree up on Dec 1st I think. Any earlier and Mr. CL might leave. :pac: In his mind, decorations shouldn't go up until December 8th. We will have our elf on the shelf arriving on the same day with our advent calendar. He'll probably make a nice Christmas themed breakfast for us too! (Any ideas of a Christmas themed breakfast, do let me know :P)

Pancakes or waffles with whipped cream and some "snow" caster sugar on top with hot chocolate to drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Pancakes or waffles with whipped cream and some "snow" caster sugar on top with hot chocolate to drink?

Do the pancakes in big Christmas themed cookie cutters. (Metal ones!)

A funny stat update is we had more posts yesterday than the entire month of May 2018 :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

This day 5 weeks I'll probably be having a tea break at home with Christmas fm on after collecting the turkey and ham from the butchers along with plenty of fresh bread for the turkey sandwiches on Christmas night and defiantly a king crisp sandwich too over the festivities

• Advertisement

This day 5 weeks I'll probably be having a tea break at home with Christmas fm on after collecting the turkey and ham from the butchers along with plenty of fresh bread for the turkey sandwiches on Christmas night and defiantly a king crisp sandwich too over the festivities

I was literally day dreaming about a leftover turkey and ham sambo only a few minutes ago! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jude13

Man ham sambos with christmas ham droooool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Christmas Eve, ham just out of the oven, 2 slices of batch & a mug of tea.... bliss. One of the moments I wait all year for.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Jeez, I can't think when I last had batch bread! Might sneak some into the shopping this week!

Batch bread with real butter yummy

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Jeez, I can't think when I last had batch bread! Might sneak some into the shopping this week!

I might have to sneak some into mine too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ah lads, christmas ham, freshly cooked, you couldn't have a sambo with anything other than buttered slices of Brennans batch bread.... its one of life's little pleasures.

To be fair its the only time of year we get batch bread, in fact I associate it with Christmas nowadays.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

We had the inlaws up on Sunday for a roast we've decided they are coming to us for Christmas plus my other half 2 sisters and my mam will be coming to stay with us for a few days there will be 7 in total
    Is there another thread on here for people that are hosting I'm just looking for some ideas or suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jude13

The only time I hosted I had to use a second fridge...hope that doesn't panic you.

In relation to batch, sadly I can't eat real bread (small violin, can't as in not intolerant but really can't). The GF stuff now isn't so bad but you really have to toast it.

Our Christmas eve ham 'got destroyed' (according to my Mum) one year when we were youngish, my brother who was 20 at the time came home very late after a skin full and sat in front of the tv eating strips of it. In the morning it was a mess. Mum was not happy. That, and me losing the baby jesus, is brought up each Christmas dinner.

• Advertisement

Is there another thread on here for people that are hosting I'm just looking for some ideas or suggestions ?

There's the cooking & baking thread if it's food ideas you are after!
    Jude13 wrote: »
    Tme losing the baby jesus, is brought up each Christmas dinner.

I think we need to hear this story! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement