Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

So finally got to sit down with the better half last night and plan out the next 6/7 weeks till the new Year. A few phone calls and text to family members to see when people are free etc and happily was able to get a date/time for pretty much everything nailed down.

Have it all written in the calendar and it pretty full so is going to be a hectic few weeks and unexpected things no doubt will pop up however feel better to have it all down and will hopefully avoid double booking.

Really felt like we are in the middle of now talking about getting trees, Santa visits etc only a couple of weeks away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

TRS30 wrote: »
    So finally got to sit down with the better half last night and plan out the next 6/7 weeks till the new Year. A few phone calls and text to family members to see when people are free etc and happily was able to get a date/time for pretty much everything nailed down.

Have it all written in the calendar and it pretty full so is going to be a hectic few weeks and unexpected things no doubt will pop up however feel better to have it all down and will hopefully avoid double booking.

Really felt like we are in the middle of now talking about getting trees, Santa visits etc only a couple of weeks away :)

It really is nice to have something to look forward to for the remainder of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Lovely catching up on posts! We got the keys for new house so we moved in last Friday and all I can look forward is to put our tree up for the Toy Show! ;) Hopefully the sofa will come this week so I can see where stuff can go then! I was thinking of getting a nesbreka tree under the stairs but there is no plug and I'm not sure if battery lights would be strong enough! :S

I also sent away wee man's first Christmas outfits last week for stocking to be made with it so it should be back by end of this week hopefully!

I also got all Santa presents sorted now thanks to Aldi's toy event & local preloved toy fair- just to order a personalised book and tree decoration maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Best of luck in your new home, Disney! May you have many happy years in it :)

Lovely catching up on posts! We got the keys for new house so we moved in last Friday and all I can look forward is to put our tree up for the Toy Show! ;) Hopefully the sofa will come this week so I can see where stuff can go then! I was thinking of getting a nesbreka tree under the stairs but there is no plug and I'm not sure if battery lights would be strong enough! :S

I also sent away wee man's first Christmas outfits last week for stocking to be made with it so it should be back by end of this week hopefully!

I also got all Santa presents sorted now thanks to Aldi's toy event & local preloved toy fair- just to order a personalised book and tree decoration maybe :)

Con,grats on the house.

Would you mind telling me where you sent the outfits to get made into stockings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Con,grats on the house.

Would you mind telling me where you sent the outfits to get made into stockings?

Sew memorable- she is based in Tipperary- not sure if she is still taking orders

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is a company that normally does cooked Chrisrmas hams delieved. This year they also appear to be doing turkey crowns.
    We got one of their hams a few years ago and was fairly happy with it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Mariah Carey All I Want for Christmas is currently number 55 in the Apple Music Ireland Top 100 charts.

These are my kind of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Mariah Carey All I Want for Christmas is currently number 55 in the Apple Music Ireland Top 100 charts.

These are my kind of people.

The first few notes of that song give me all the Christmas feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,356 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just noticed I didn't include a link to where you could get those cooked hams!

http://www.horgans.com/onlineshop

• Advertisement

The lights are being turned on in Dublin this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭DvB

6 weeks today = the best day of the year!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    6 weeks today = the best day of the year!!!

Have thought about this some recently and its a toss up for me between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I love both for different reasons and find it hard to decide which I like more. If pushed I'd say Christmas Eve if just for the excitement, especially the kids, and that glass of wine when me and wife finally get to sit down after what is always a hectic, yet amazing day.

Have thought about this some recently and its a toss up for me between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I love both for different reasons and find it hard to decide which I like more. If pushed I'd say Christmas Eve if just for the excitement, especially the kids, and that glass of wine when me and wife finally get to sit down after what is always a hectic, yet amazing day.

As much as I love Christmas Day, its Christmas Eve I enjoy more, pretty much each & every year whether we're hosting or not we always try to get out & enjoy a last browse through the shops with no pressure to get anything, get a coffee & scone with the kids, or go for a nice walk (weather dependant) then head home, take away for dinner, get the kids ready for bed, watch christmas movies, get the kids to bed, sit down with a drink or two to watch its a wonderful life & then sort out the gifts for the morning before heading to bed... its an exciting day full of fun, I love it. My favourite day of the year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jude13

Christmas eve for me for sure. It's just more relaxed. Having Christmas eve and day with the in laws in limerick for the first time properly this year. A few years back I was crazy busy at work, a few all nighters, loads of flights etc. so that I would make it home for Christmas only to be laid up from the moment I landed down to Limerick, proper laid up. I couldnt get out of bed from 23rd till the 26th. Not the best first impression with the inlaws. So this year I need to make up for it.

No idea what their traditions are for Christmas eve but Im excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

The lights are being turned on in Dublin this week.

The lights are turned on this Saturday in Belfast. AND the Christmas Market is opening. It's so exciting! I can't wait to have my annual Christmas Tartiflette. :D:D:D

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    annual Christmas Tartiflette. :D:D:D

I need to know more about this! We were in Belfast in early November a couple of years ago and it was so Christmassy and lovely.

It's cheese, onions, cream, bacon and potatoes all mushed together in a big pot and simmered till they're gooey and soft and comforting. There's a stall in the market that sells it and it is always my first stop when the market opens. I cannot stress how fcuking amazing Tartiflette is. It IS the start of Christmas for me when I taste it. My mouth is already watering thinking of it.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1348/creamy-tartiflette

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Jude13

^Mother of god I need to try that, without the breadcrumbs for me.

Breaking News:

Just got an email from the boss............Christmas annual leave approved!!!

Finished up the 20th and not back till the 6th. As my wife is still off on maternity leave, Elf 1 & 2 finish school & Montessori on the 20th, the 5 of us will be together for the whole two weeks :D

Can't wait for it now, am beyond excited, like a kid on Christmas morning :):):)

• Advertisement

Breaking News:

Just got an email from the boss............Christmas annual leave approved!!!

Finished up the 20th and not back till the 6th. As my wife is still off on maternity leave, Elf 1 & 2 finish school & Montessori on the 20th, the 5 of us will be together for the whole two weeks :D

Can't wait for it now, am beyond excited, like a kid on Christmas morning :):):)

Excellent stuff.
    I'm off the same 2 weeks.
    Took the 2 full weeks last year as I had a load of leave left that I hadnt taken & it was the best thing I ever did. Hence making sure I had enough leave this year to do it again. When Christmas falls midweek its so easy to manage a 2 week break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh that's great news TRS30! :D

I'm also on maternity leave and my husband is finishing up on December 16th for 6 weeks!! Planning on bringing our little fella into hubbie's work for a visit and he'll take a half day so we can go into town to see the Christmas lights etc. I also want to check out the Disney shop decorations. I want to get a little tree for our son's room and allow him to pick a new decoration for it every year :) He's only 11 weeks (today actually!) so I think it'll be whichever one he "goooooo"s at :D

jellybear wrote: »
    Awh that's great news TRS30! :D

I'm also on maternity leave and my husband is finishing up on December 16th for 6 weeks!! Planning on bringing our little fella into hubbie's work for a visit and he'll take a half day so we can go into town to see the Christmas lights etc. I also want to check out the Disney shop decorations. I want to get a little tree for our son's room and allow him to pick a new decoration for it every year :) He's only 11 weeks (today actually!) so I think it'll be whichever one he "goooooo"s at :D

Thanks.

All that sounds wonderful. I remember with Elf 1, she was about 12 weeks at Christmas and we brought her into see the lights on Grafton street and went to Disney store as well.

Is such a magical time (Christmas and young baby) so when you get the two together is amazing.

Was in TK Maxx on Saturday, not sure if there is one near you, however they have lovely 'Baby's First Christmas' fleecy blankets/throws. We got three (one for us, one for my sisters brother who had a boy yesterday and one for a friend due in a couple of weeks).

Just ordered a new (fake) Christmas tree. Will have to resist the urge to put it up as soon as it's delivered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lots of excitement here today folks. I love it. :)

Following Grace's suggestion I've also ordered some Pine oil to see if it works to give me the real Christmas tree smell.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Following Grace's suggestion I've also ordered some Pine oil to see if it works to give me the real Christmas tree smell.

While you wait for it to be delivered, you can get it in Holland and Barrett's with the essential oils. They also have frankincense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

New Home wrote: »
    While you wait for it to be delivered, you can get it in Holland and Barrett's with the essential oils. They also have frankincense. :)

Holland and Barrett have a wonderful mail order service; free shipping if over E20 and it gets here in a day. even out here. Some of their food items are....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I can't wait to have my annual Christmas Tartiflette. :D:D:D
    I love it too !

Find it very amusing that it was developed by a cheese promotion Board to sell more cheese !
    https://www.reblochon.fr/en/savouring-reblochon/tartiflette/

• Advertisement

As I was wandering down Capel Street earlier I got a Twitter notification that Dublin Town was broadcasting live so I figured the lights were being turned on. By the time I left the pub an hour later Dublin was fully Christmas-fied!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement