Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Pronunciation or lah-dee-dah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Stovepipe wrote: »
    RTE newsreaders say "pleece" for "police" and "med-sin" for "medicine" (Sharon Ni Bheolain in particular). Is she right or wrong?
    The Oxford English Dictionary indicates that "paleece" and "pleece" are both standard pronunciations.

As for "medicine", it's one of a number of words where the choice between a two-syllable pronunciation and a three-syllable pronunciation is, or at least used to be, a class marker. Posh people say "medsin"; plebs say "medissin". "Regiment" is another word of this kind.
    Stovepipe wrote: »
    Given all the stories about cervical cancer, I hear the word "cervical" often pronounced as "ser-vy-cal", especially medical people. Is that the correct pronunciation?
    "Servickle" and "serv-eye-kal" are both standard, according to the OED.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

If I had twenty six sheep and one of them died, how many would I have left?

If they say twenty five, tell them they are wrong. You said twenty sick sheep, and the answer is nineteen.

Can you tell the difference between twenty six sheep, and twenty sick sheep, in normal speech?

Yes....if the person pronounces 'twenty six' correctly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Graces7 wrote: »
    one of my landladies called it Lie dell.

a rose by any other name...

On TV adverts in England it`s called Lee dall...perhaps that`s the continental pronunciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I'd be pretty certain the vast majority of people here are all calling Storm Jorge in the correct way- and not as George or something. Properly pronounced Peugeot just seems a step too far for most of us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Georgie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Shkoda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Beako?
    Becko?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Educate yo self.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm not taking pronunciation lessons from someone who pronounces "commonly" as "cammonly"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Richard Hammond saying horsepar instead of horsepower.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    I'm not taking pronunciation lessons from someone who pronounces "commonly" as "cammonly"!

Who Sven?

He is German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Someone was telling me yesterday about having a pain in her stumerk.
    I thought she was just falling over her words until she said it a second time.
    Her stumerk.??
    My brain was screaming ' it's stomach!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Who Sven?

He is German.
    So? In the section on German names, he's being particularly finnicky about the pronunciation of some names, insisiting on rolling the 'r' in many words, something that doesn't come naturally to many. So I feel justified in being equally finnicky about his inability to correctly enunciate the letter 'o'. Pot, kettle, black.

Alun wrote: »
    So? In the section on German names, he's being particularly finnicky about the pronunciation of some names, insisiting on rolling the 'r' in many words, something that doesn't come naturally to many. So I feel justified in being equally finnicky about his inability to correctly enunciate the letter 'o'. Pot, kettle, black.

That's got nothing to do with pronunciation of brand names and all to do with his linguistic heritage; he's half Brazilian half German, naturally his accent will reflect this.

Unless we're taking the piss out of people's accents now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What’s this crack with the word ‘quarter’.

It seems out in RTEland it’s ‘quawter’.

“A quawter “ of a million.

What’s wrong with ‘quarter’.

What’s this crack with the word ‘quarter’.

It seems out in RTEland it’s ‘quawter’.

“A quawter “ of a million.

What’s wrong with ‘quarter’.
    Same with the newsreaders' "froowhst". It's frost, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gateaux

It pronounced gattox, you little bolleaux.

endacl wrote: »
    It pronounced gattox
    A little grammatical fawks pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

PewJoe ? Surely. Any French on here to sort us out?

https://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question78822.html
    Lots of different sites with this question, but it seems to be mainly puh-zho, occasionally pew-joe. It seems there is no 'correct' way of pronouncing it, and can vary in different contexts (native/non-native etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Where is this place called Tie-rown so beloved of the GAA heads and others on RTE. The Irish version is Tír Eoghan and it has been pronounced in identical form in English since Noah was a lad. It's just a way to appear superior to all us plebs but it only makes them look like the dickheads they are.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Where is this place called Tie-rown so beloved of the GAA heads and others on RTE. The Irish version is Tír Eoghan and it has been pronounced in identical form in English since Noah was a lad. It's just a way to appear superior to all us plebs but it only makes them look like the dickheads they are.

Well Marsey, you better ask the folk down in Kerry where it is, they are the ones who call it Tie-Rone.

Would it ever occur to them that Tír Eoghan, the country of John is the translation!!

Tír na hEireann the country of Ireland.

Would the stults call it’Tyre na hEireann’

Tools probably would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I think the tide has turned with the pronunciation of Renault; it was mostly pronounced Renawlt, but now appears to be mainly Renoh. But what about Peugeot? Are we still embarrassed to pronounce it as it should- Puh-zho, instead of Pew-jo?

It's always been pronounced "renoh"
    And then other had always been pronounced "pehjo"
    They are French car names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Well Marsey, you better ask the folk down in Kerry where it is, they are the ones who call it Tie-Rone.

Would it ever occur to them that Tír Eoghan, the country of John is the translation!!

Tír na hEireann the country of Ireland.

Would the stults call it’Tyre na hEireann’

Tools probably would.

Kerrymen eh? That would explain a lot. I can just hear the dulcet tones of the Healy Raes.

It's always been pronounced "renoh"
    And then other had always been pronounced "pehjo"
    Not everywhere in Ireland; part of the reason for the post.

They are French car names.
    Really? Sacre bleu.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Kerrymen eh? That would explain a lot. I can just hear the dulcet tones of the Healy Raes.

Mr Patrick Spillane would be the main offender.

Mr Tomás OSè a close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Not everywhere in Ireland; part of the reason for the post.

Really? Sacre bleu.

inˈdēd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

whats the craic with RTE presenters (both Bryan Dobson and Sharon ni Bheolain in the last half hour) calling 5/8 of a mile a kilo'metre, it was and always will be a kil'ometre

Bought a car recently. On my my radar been a Hyundau Tucson. As in 'tooh-sohn'; not as the car-dealer called it- a tuckson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

not as the car-dealer called it- a tuckson.

Jaysus.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement