Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Pronunciation or lah-dee-dah

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Is it HI-un-die or Hyun-day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Bought a car recently. On my my radar been a Hyundau Tucson. As in 'tooh-sohn'; not as the car-dealer called it- a tuckson.

Would that be "high-und-oww" or "high-und-aww" tuckson?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I.m annoyed about people pronouncing English words wrong listening to podcasts and YouTube videos
    , so many have decided g does not exist
    Eg balancing is pronounced balancinn
    Also dropped ts eg so many say a word if there's a t in the middle its dropped
    BBC Radio seems to an exception to this as they seem to have basic standards regarding pronouncing words properly
    I don't listen to pop music stations so I won't comment on dj speak
    I don't care how people pronounce French words
    If in doubt don't pronounce the last letter
    Eg Renault is pronounced renno

• Registered Users Posts: 16,395 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Aaaarrrrrhhhtee has serious pronunciation iss-shues, I don't think medsin nor An Ghorrrrrdee in Portleeeash-aaa could fix them.

*I think I've posted this before*

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I honestly don’t know why we get so caught up about this.

I’ve heard English people correct Irish pronunciation of Peugeot and it’s rather hilarious (as a French speaker) as both are almost equally wrong and the English highly intrusive R is completely wrong. You get something in England more like PeaahhhhhRrrrrr-Joe. There’s a little intrusive R in French but nothing as extreme as that.

The reality is they’re words in a foreign language with totally different phonetics, you’ll get them wrong.

In Spanish they just pronounce it all as they’re read in Spanish.

YouTube - “Ooh Toob Ahy”
    Game Over - “Gambay Obray”
    Gourmet (as written with the T)
    Renault (Ren oww Ult”

And so on.

French announcements will call Aer Lingus - “Air Lang-Goose” and Dublin “doo blan” (which to be fair is closer to the native northside pronunciation anyway.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Not a pronunciation thing really but...

Pajero means w@nker in Spanish.

Thus, the Mitsubishi Montiero was born

Pajero was an impressively bad choice of trademark. lol
    Even more so when you consider that Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Watch out for the accents in written Spanish. These transfer the pronunciation stress from the second last syllable to the syllable with the stress. The general rule is that the second last syllable is stressed.

Also watch out for the extra letters in Spanish "ch" "ll", ñ and "rr". Also the lisped pronunciation of "c" and "z". Otherwise it's all very straight forward.

The BBC does not use standard English very much. I can't remember the last time I heard "going to" (gonna) or "want to" (wanna) on the BBC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The UK's Vauxhall Nova was the Opel Corsa in other markets

Nova means new in Latin languages.

No Va on the other hand means "doesn't go".

Watch out for the accents in written Spanish. These transfer the pronunciation stress from the second last syllable to the syllable with the stress. The general rule is that the second last syllable is stressed.

Also watch out for the extra letters in Spanish "ch" "ll", ñ and "rr". Also the lisped pronunciation of "c" and "z". Otherwise it's all very straight forward.

The BBC does not use standard English very much. I can't remember the last time I heard "going to" (gonna) or "want to" (wanna) on the BBC.

The ñ vs n in Spanish is also very important:

https://twitter.com/loicsuberville/status/1389872225180860418?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭mistersifter

while we're at it

if you're in Spain - the verb coger means to take. In Argentina, it means to fúck.

Be careful how you ask "where can I take the bus?" next time youre in Buenos Aires

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

while we're at it

if you're in Spain - the verb coger means to take. In Argentina, it means to fúck.

Be careful how you ask "where can I take the bus?" next time youre in Buenos Aires

In Portugal a bicha is a queue or a line of people.

In Brazil on the other hand it means a "f*ggot".

So many pitfalls in so many languages.

There is an attitude of "stupid Americans" on threads like this because of American English. Unfortunately the same superiority complex exists in Spain towards the various versions of Spanish in use in Latin America.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I’ve often heard Peugeot pronounced as Per jo in the UK and Dublin even in advertisements.
    However in my neck of the woods it’s always been pew jo.
    Who’s right?

thejuggler wrote: »
    I’ve often heard Peugeot pronounced as Per jo in the UK and Dublin even in advertisements.
    However in my neck of the woods it’s always been pew jo.
    Who’s right?

Everybody. How do they pronounce Paris?

People will get into all sorts of trouble if they insist that foreign trade names cannot be anglicised. Those with Samsung phones would have to call them Tham Thung.

The UK's Vauxhall Nova was the Opel Corsa in other markets

Nova means new in Latin languages.

No Va on the other hand means "doesn't go".

To be fair Opel Corsa is the brand all over Europe was rebadged as the Vauxhall Nova only in the UK. It’s a one-country sub brand. GM also kept Holden as a brand in Australia and it was mostly selling Opel and the odd version of some US and Asian GMs rebadged.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Everybody. How do they pronounce Paris?

People will get into all sorts of trouble if they insist that foreign trade names cannot be anglicised. Those with Samsung phones would have to call them Tham Thung.

There’s anglicisation and there’s inserting an R where it doesn’t exist!

I can hear an R sound in the French pronunciation.

The complication is the eu sound in French is a little hard to explain in English it’s like “euh

Peugeot makes a slightly “r” sound but it’s not r.

It’s being misheard by English people as Perrrhw, when it’s actually p-euh and the transition to geot is making an very subtle R-like intrusion, but’s barely or pronounced.

Because basic phonemes in English and French are quite different and they’re also different between southern English and Irish accents, so you’re getting different pronunciation caused by proximate phoneme substitution, where your brain automatically swaps a basic sound that’s closest to the sound you’re trying to pronounce.

To summarise: both Ireland and England are wrong, but they’re making an effort to make it sound close enough to the name.

English speakers from England correcting the English speakers in Ireland is about as useful as a discussion between a guy from Hull and a guy from a London about how to pronounce Meadhbh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The ñ vs n in Spanish is also very important:

https://twitter.com/loicsuberville/status/1389872225180860418?s=21

Mrs Doyle was telling me that it's got magnets on its tail, so's if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you and instead of a mouth, it's got four arses!"

- Fr Dougal McGuire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

In english pronounce it the way everyone else does ..in french pronounce it the french way.

The french say brownie weird. But they understand it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

All these pronounciations are invented by some marketing crowd you never see or hear from.

If you went up to an average Korean fella slurping up a mouthfull spicy pot noodles and washing it down with a bottle of Hite and mentioned a "HIGH-undye toose-hawn" he wouldn't have a clue what yer on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-do-you-properly-pronounce-hyundai-424128/

Hyundai Engineering and Construction Co. was founded in South Korea in 1947 by Chung Ju-yung, and it added an automotive branch in 1967. The name itself is a transliteration from the Korean word for “modernity.” If you hear Koreans pronouncing it, you’ll hear it as “hyeondae,” with the “y” being clearly pronounced. But for the Americas, the company’s official position is that it’s “Hyundai like Sunday.”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Here. Spoken like a true Korean.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    At least we've an excuse as we're only using English only with over 100 years. The Brits are a different story, many of them have trouble speaking their own language.

For most of Ireland it's closer to 200 years, with English used in the former Pale on the east coast since medieval times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

All these pronounciations are invented by some marketing crowd you never see or hear from.

If you went up to an average Korean fella slurping up a mouthfull spicy pot noodles and washing it down with a bottle of Hite and mentioned a "HIGH-undye toose-hawn" he wouldn't have a clue what yer on about.

Hmm. Sounds about right. But... if you were to point to that vehicle and say "HIGH-undye toose-hawn" he'd probably roll his eyes and after properly swallowing the food and tasty beverage say (in Korean)- "Actually it's Hyun-dae too-sohn, ya feckin' eejit", or words to that effect. However, if you had said 'Tuckson' instead of 'too-sohn', I think he would have been within his rights to use his Taekwondo on you (apologies for assumption of Seoul rather than Pyongyang:)).

It's strange that the anglicisation lost the K sound from the Spanish. Note the accent on the O which transfers the pronunciation stress onto the last syllable Took Son. Without the accent the stress would have been on the second last syllable.

From the Spanish Tucsón [tukˈson], from the O'odham Cuk Ṣon (literally “Spring at the base of the black mountain”) [tʃʊk ʂɔːn], the “black mountain” in question being the summit now known as Sentinel Peak, or “A Mountain”, just to the west of Tucson’s downtown area.

Was this car salesman some class of foreigner?

For most of Ireland it's closer to 200 years, with English used in the former Pale on the east coast since medieval times.

It’s even more complicated than that and it’s complicated in Britain too, as not everyone there spoke English and certainly not standard English until modern transport, widespread access to printing and the modern economy arrived. Their significant regional variations in English are driven by older forms of English or other languages: Welsh, Cornish, etc too.

In Ireland you’ve had English in the Pale since the 1200s and also large enclaves of it in Cork City, Waterford, probably Limerick going back as far and Galway City was most definitely bilingual with enclaves and divides. The English spoken in the Pale isn’t necessarily the same as England though. It evolved on its own path with influences from Irish interaction with Irish and inward movement of people to Dublin City in particular who would have been Irish speakers.

There’s fairly strong evidence that Cork may have held onto some form of Anglo Norman (ie heavy influences close to French) for much longer, as it was big and had less interaction with with Dublin / the Pale and connections to parts of SW England. It remained a somewhat independent trading port for a long time. That combined with a lot of Irish language influences and probably interactions with Bristol and South Wales by sea and through merchants and a big naval base, likely explains a lot of the unusual features Cork City’s accent. The intonations on a lot of words in Cork are often more like old French, the stress going on the last syllable and rising intonations for questions etc etc. You get bit of Elizabethan syntax/grammar still present in Cork too, certainly in the city.

Cork City also had a significant immigration of French Huguenots who were prominent in the city business community (often as traders) and seem to have left a legacy in the accent too.

In comparison to Ireland and Britain, US English is far more standardised as it largely evolved and spread after an era of mass movement. The same applies to Australian English. In Ireland and Britain we have dialects, regional variations and other linguistic influences and historical populations that didn’t move around much.

English as spoken here or in Britain has all the same kind of variations you’d see in languages on the continent. Whereas American English is quite notably homogenous.

Various forms of Hiberno English, Scots English, Welsh English and the dialects and variations in parts of England are absolutely legitimately part of the language.

Just to pick up on a point further up the thread, saying that the English struggle with their own language is just dismissing the fact that there are significant dialects and regional variations in England. They’re not incorrect. They just aren’t blandly standard.

None of these versions of English are wrong. They’re just part of the language and don’t let some inflexible snob tell you otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It's strange that the anglicisation lost the K sound from the Spanish. Note the accent on the O which transfers the pronunciation stress onto the last syllable Took Son. Without the accent the stress would have been on the second last syllable.

From the Spanish Tucsón [tukˈson], from the O'odham Cuk Ṣon (literally “Spring at the base of the black mountain”) [tʃʊk ʂɔːn], the “black mountain” in question being the summit now known as Sentinel Peak, or “A Mountain”, just to the west of Tucson’s downtown area.

Was this car salesman some class of foreigner?
    Nah, pure paddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Lieutenant.

Advertisement