Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper Pronunciation or lah-dee-dah

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

From the past,remember Anne Doyle saying " sex yule" for sexual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭Allinall

They're arseholes FFS!

An ass is a dunkey, and calling someone a dunkeyhole would be ridiculous.

Jeez.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Since you brought ut up,

1. Donkey, not dunkey
    2. Ass = Arse (as in Bottom)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

😀A classic….must be the only person in the history of the world to pronounce it like that😀🤷‍♀️😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,086 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 34,019 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brings a new meaning to "getting your Christmas box"

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The Tubridy/RTE scandal has the nation rocked! Is it pronounced Renawlt, or Renoh? Or am I missing the essence of the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My Mam says the following:

Tescoes

Aldis

but funny enough she doesn't say:

Supervalues

Lidls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

In the same vein: Arnotts, Easons, Marks & Spencers

Hopefully this is the correct thread to air this issue.

When did this crack of pronouncing ‘news’ as ‘Nooze’ flair up.

Seems to have originated south of a line between around We ford and Clare.

Mainly in the Munster area.

Gaining traction in RTE now with noted protagonists Samantha Libreri, Dunphy, Creedon, Ballsy and most of the Traffic and travel females.

Where did this annoying trend spring from, I wonder?

Post edited by Brendan Bendar on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Speaking of news. The frequent pronunciation of issue as 'is ooo' it should have in 'ish' sound. Smilar issue with pronunciation of tissue.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/tissue?q=tissue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Community pronounced as comm-oo-nity sounds all wrong to me..

The "ish oos" for the thread are not about proper pronunciations per se (and how annoying they can be to hear), but, rather, about the use of correct pronunciation of (usually, but not necessarily) foreign words: Is the attempt at correct pronunciation preferable, or is it laughably snobbish?

Is proper pronunciation an embarrassing affectation that should be shunned, or encouraged? Is it immature to 'knock someone down to size' if they are just trying to use the proper pronunciation?

Having said that though, is criticizing a growing trend in mispronunciation also a form of snobbery - an attempt to prevent a 'dumbing down' of language? I think I do that all the time without really thinking about. I suppose it is a form of snobbery, in the sense of being a 'mild puritan' about language.

Thinking about it, the types of annoyance in these posts might fit better (or maybe might 'also fit') in the "Trivial things dat annoy you" thread (or something like that title). This one is about pronunciation snobbery. So, are these annoyances a case of being guilty of being "a 'mild puritan'" about language, and hence a bit snobbish, or simply mildly puritan?

Yes you have made good points there , I see now this thread seems to home in on correct pronunciation of foreign words rather than mispronunciation of words used in our daily speech.

Apologies for dragging it slightly off track.

Also hear so many politicians and media folk saying this when talking about pay rates:

Re-new-mer-ation instead of Ruh-myoo-nuh-ray-shn.

It was everywhere during the recent Tubridy and RTE story. Maybe the new DG will get it right…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The news/nooze thing is American. A colleague of mine (in his early 40s) was talking about 'Doon' a while ago, and after a bit I had to ask if he meant the film 'Dune'. He said said that that the only way he had ever heard it pronounced but he's constantly watching American YouTube and Tik Tok clips. When I asked him how he pronounced 'sand-dunes', he said "Oh yeah!".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That annoys me, too - re-numeration means re-numbering something; remuneration relates to money and pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Americans got it from people who came to America from various other places. There was nobody speaking the English language in America back in the day. Some on them have kept the old ways (like that pronunciation of News), which should be a source of admiration from those who do not like change.

• Advertisement

Arah, sometimes going a little off track points to interesting angles. It did bring home better the question of grammatical annoyances. People can be grammar police in terms of more than just strict grammar, because grammar is more linguistically wide-ranging than assumed; intonation and pauses etc can affect meaning implicitly, which grammar provides structure for.

My fresher angle then would be that people bring snobbiness to everyday pronunciation in ways that they might not even realize. In the guise of being duty-bound grammar police (of the more wide-ranging sort), snobbiness can be knowingly or unknowingly brought to bear. It's that which I am pointing out and questioning I suppose - for a bit of soul-searching about one's own potential snobbiness.

Personally my opinion is it’s speech laziness.

Its a lot easier viz a viz mouth action to come up with ‘Nooze’ rather than ‘News’.

The words ‘News’ and ‘new’ seem to be the only ones to suffer this indignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You would fit in well in 1938 upper class England.

"Strong criticism of the growth of slovenly speech in this country was made by Miss M.C. Cobby, the speech training mistress at Latymer School, Edmonton, when she addressed members of the City of London Vacation Course in England at Bedford College, Regent’s Park, yesterday.

“We endeavour daily,” she said, “to inculcate habits of cleanliness and good behaviour in our children, so why not teach them also to speak well. We do not want pedantic speakers who always go one better than the required standard of speech. Nor do we want the people who pride themselves in being colloquial and who say, ‘Joo-no-er?’ for ‘Do you know her?’ Both these types of speakers are offensive. As teachers, therefore, we must do our best to preserve the best features of the King’s English and to restrict the absorption of any element, whether from the drawing-room or from the gutter.”

Miss Cobby declared that Southerners were the laziest speakers in this country, and told the students that they had only to listen to the Cockney bus conductor to know this.

“It is terrible to think how slovenly we are becoming in our speech today,” she continued. Just listen to the people taking their tickets on a bus and you will hear them say ‘kew,’ instead of ‘thank you,’ and you hear people say ‘gimme’ instead of ‘give me.’

Miss Cobby described how a child in a junior class, when writing a composition recently, asked her teacher, “How do you spell ‘mayswell,’ please?” The teacher said that she did not know the word, and asked the child where she had heard it, to which the child replied, “We went to see Auntie on Sunday, and after tea Mum said, ‘Come on, we mayswell go home.’”

After years of experience, added Miss Cobby, she had come to the conclusion that they should not attempt to eradicate natural dialect. What they had to do was to make a child bilingual and teach him how to speak standard English as well as his own local dialect.

Mr. F. W. Chambers, who has been an inspector and head master of an elementary school, said that a good deal of inaccuracy in arithmetic among children arose from the fact that they could not concentrate for any length of time. He thought, therefore, that the type of arithmetic lesson where children were set to do something for half an hour on end was asking too much of the child."

Ah no, don’t think so.. but I do think the famous,or maybe infamous, Mattie McGrath ‘loyal’ exchange with Adrian in the recent RTE business highlighted the need for better diction and less of the ‘seen’ and ‘done ‘ brigade getting traction.

One would think an experienced broadcaster say like Samantha Libreri would stop using ‘Nooze’ at least on air?

Likewise Ballsy on 240k pa.

Its laziness to a great extent of course which is why the true Dub will always go to the ‘Cavvery’ rather than the ‘Carvery’ for a meal and maybe a pint of ‘Calsberg’ ..lazy speech is the reason of course.

You don’t have to shape your tongue around those pesky Rs.

I regularly hear media reports of 'voy-o-lence' and 'voy-o-lent' behaviour (rhymes with boy) 😳😳

Not true. Every true Dub I know perfectly and correctly pronounces 'carvery'. I dont know where you got that absurd notion.

Well done…well done… We must move in different circles…. Well done.

Advertisement