Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,812 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

BeerNut wrote: »
    Samuel Adams Boston Lager? Yes, it's worth a go. It's been around since the '80s though the version we get is brewed in England. I don't think it's quite as good as the American one but at least it's fresher.

What are the top US beers as a matter of interest ?

Americans seem massive bottle drinkers in there pubs. Pints or nothing for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What are the top US beers as a matter of interest ?
    Depends how you define "top". There are around 8000 breweries in the US now, from the big industrial ones down to the tiny ones where people queue up hours for limited releases. It's an extremely diverse beer culture.

Of what you can buy here easily, Odell IPA and Sierra Nevada Narwhal are both superb.

I’d look at some places with growler stations if draught is a big thing anyway. Might be only irish stuff but you might find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,812 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Whatever happened to the small bottles of French beer that lidl used to sell ?? Remember they were fairly big among house parties 10-15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whatever happened to the small bottles of French beer that lidl used to sell ?? Remember they were fairly big among house parties 10-15 years ago

I remember buying small bottles of French lager for parties in Quinnsworth over 30 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I remember buying small bottles of French lager for parties in Quinnsworth over 30 years ago!
    Stubbies through a straw...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Finkbrau and/or Nobelaner I think they were called.
    Aldi had one too called Brasserie.

Beernut summed up Nobelaner very well, hope he doesnt mind me linking to it.

https://thebeernut.blogspot.com/2010/08/beer-from-nowhere.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I just happened to be watching The Wire last night where Lester is in a bar drinking out of a bottle that looks like one of the bottles linked above... Was curious what they were!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Finkbrau and/or Nobelaner I think they were called.
    Aldi had one too called Brasserie.

Beernut summed up Nobelaner very well, hope he doesnt mind me linking to it.

https://thebeernut.blogspot.com/2010/08/beer-from-nowhere.html

Tesco had similar called Biere D'Or that i used to drink in the late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

jh79 wrote: »

ha ha totally forgot about that beer. My uncle used to buy it for me when I had a stint living in England.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »

Used to haul that by the case load to the flat once the student grant money came through.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Local shop seems to have realised that no matter how much they try to reorder Boyne; it ain't coming back

Bottle section has been replaced by even more O'Haras. Basically the entire bottled lineup now

Can section has been replaced by Wicklow Wolf and 8 Degrees.

Nothing particularly special but it provides some variance to quickly grabbed beers.

L1011 wrote: »
    Local shop seems to have realised that no matter how much they try to reorder Boyne; it ain't coming back

Bottle section has been replaced by even more O'Haras. Basically the entire bottled lineup now

Nothing particularly special but it provides some variance to quickly grabbed beers.

Wicklow Wolfs Wildfire is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,958 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

L1011 wrote: »

Slightly strange thing lately.

In recent weeks a (very limited) selection of 8 Degrees has appeared in the local Dunnes.

At the same time, all 8 Degrees and shelf labels have disappeared from the local Molloys :(

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The young lads in my local offie recognise me now and tell me when there's something new in the craft beer shelf. I like that.

Anyway, I just grabbed a big bottle of La Trappe Quadrupel for tonight. It's just perfect. One of those beers that makes any night a special occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,958 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone tried the 750mL French abbey beers in Lidl? They were 6 for the price of 5 a few days ago, I was on foot and couldn't have even carried one with the other stuff I was buying.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone tried the 750mL French abbey beers in Lidl? They were 6 for the price of 5 a few days ago, I was on foot and couldn't have even carried one with the other stuff I was buying.

Was that the Abbaye de Vauclair stuff? Tried two of their beers during lockdown. Enjoyed both. Said this about one of them:
    Picked up the Imperiale French lager from Abbaye de Vauclair for tonight, and another of their beers for tomorrow. There was an interesting looking Scottish stout as well. The Imperiale is lovely. Like Blue Moon on steroids.

Was that the Abbaye de Vauclair stuff? Tried two of their beers during lockdown. Enjoyed both. Said this about one of them:
    Had them on holiday in France last year. Lovely and refreshing in the heat there (and here last few weeks I imagine). When we were there, Lidl France had their craft beer specials - the Crafty's were the Irish offering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Just after getting a rake of cans from Bradley's in Cork...

Black's Ace of Haze (Cyro), Whiplash's Lemon Smoothie Pale Ale, Whiplash's All Together Now (NE)IPA, O Brother's On Reflection and a bunch of Kinnegar cans and some other random bits. Going to be a nice couple of evenings ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Few cans of Frau Gruber Supersonic & Verdant Intimately Spaced Pylons purchased for the weekend.

• Advertisement

Trying to keep my powder dry tonight ahead of the craic beer festival tomorrow! Probably going to fail, but did pick up a box each of Nanny State and Punk AF. The former is my go to alcohol free, not tried the Punk AF yet.

No festivals for me but I’m behaving with a few Moonlight non alcoholic after the BH weekend of it last week. Always found the Nanny State nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

OOnegative wrote: »
    Few cans of Frau Gruber Supersonic & Verdant Intimately Spaced Pylons purchased for the weekend.

How much you pay for the Verdant over there?

RasTa wrote: »
    How much you pay for the Verdant over there?

€7.25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

OOnegative wrote: »
    €7.25.

How does that €€ compare to the local stuff? That's probably the best 6% hazey yoke on the market, tastes like a DIPA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

The young lads in my local offie recognise me now and tell me when there's something new in the craft beer shelf. I like that.

Anyway, I just grabbed a big bottle of La Trappe Quadrupel for tonight. It's just perfect. One of those beers that makes any night a special occasion.

Been years since I had a bottle and after trying hundreds of beers , I still love it.

How does that €€ compare to the local stuff? That's probably the best 6% hazey yoke on the market, tastes like a DIPA

Local stuff would be good few euro cheaper, best local brew I’ve had lately is Stratification by Frontaal, that’s a DIPA and you can get it for €3.50 here. Has a rating of 4.08 on Untappd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

tastes like a DIPA
    Haven't tried the Verdant one, but I had this exact thought yesterday about O Brother's latest, On Reflection.

O'Brien's have pint sized cans of barrel aged Narwhal. This is not a drill! :eek: €8.80 a can is understandable at 11.9% abv, but I only bought the one anyway.

Building up to it by sipping Kwak from the signature glass, listening to the legendary Paul Noonan doing his solo gig on Facebook. Good times.

• Advertisement

O'Brien's have pint sized cans of barrel aged Narwhal. This is not a drill! :eek: €8.80 a can is understandable at 11.9% abv, but I only bought the one anyway.

Building up to it by sipping Kwak from the signature glass, listening to the legendary Paul Noonan doing his solo gig on Facebook. Good times.

That Bell X1 Paul Noonan?

Advertisement