Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

That Bell X1 Paul Noonan?

Yup, that's the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

On the cans of Brooklyn Lager tonight.. Goes down well extra cold

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

O'Brien's have pint sized cans of barrel aged Narwhal. This is not a drill! :eek: €8.80 a can is understandable at 11.9% abv, but I only bought the one anyway.

It's a share can 😉

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a Hope 5L mini-keg today

I've a feeling getting the last half pint out of it is going to be a bit of a bollox; it slows down significantly as the keg empties and the tap isn't right at the bottom.

L1011 wrote: »
    Got a Hope 5L mini-keg today

I've a feeling getting the last half pint out of it is going to be a bit of a bollox; it slows down significantly as the keg empties and the tap isn't right at the bottom.
    Wanted to get one, love the gimmick but never even considered that part!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tilting the keg off the top of the microwave got basically everything out

I would not advise doing that on keg 2 of an evening :pac:

Also, unless you can fit it upright in the fridge it really is for 3-4 people, not 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The barrel aged Narwhal is really nice. I've been having it a bit too often lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tonight having Wicklow Wolf Mammoth IPA and Foxes Rock Pale Ale/Larger

some kick off the Wicklow Wolf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Having some Native IPA which I picked up in Aldi. It's okay, pity they don't stock any of the other nicer Lough Gill offerings

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Timistry

Having a few bottles of Expedition Red Ale from Tom Creans Brewery in Kenmare. Its got nice biscuit and caramel flavors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Kinnegars White Rabbit. Unreal stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Kinnegars White Rabbit. Unreal stuff

Having a few cans of their Rustbucket. Lovely, lovely drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Clegg wrote: »
    Having a few cans of their Rustbucket. Lovely, lovely drink.
    I only recently discovered them, and I'm converted. Their whole collection is quality, White Rabbit, Big Bunny, Limeburner, Scraggy Bay all have a taste of more! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had to dash to Tesco for some top up groceries, and had a poke around their off license for the first time (usually we shop on Sunday mornings when the off license part is closed) and I was glad to see a fair range in the 4 f0r €10. I was able to get x2 O'Hara's I had wanted to try (51st State & white IPA) as well as the Anchor Steam beer and I gave their own brand (brewed by Rye River) a shot with their Belgian Wit.

I also caved to pressure and picked up some of those White Claws out of curiosity...

I only recently discovered them, and I'm converted. Their whole collection is quality, White Rabbit, Big Bunny, Limeburner, Scraggy Bay all have a taste of more! :D

Scraggy Bay is unreal.
    Just a perfect ipa, everytime.

I've been enjoying the 12acres range that were on in lidl recently. Pallet Jack IPL was very nice, and the Make Hay session ipa is a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

Rochefort 10 for me this evening. A bit more complex than most quadrupels I’ve had. Burning strong aftertaste- I quite like it

Scraggy Bay is unreal.
    Just a perfect ipa, everytime.

I've been enjoying the 12acres range that were on in lidl recently. Pallet Jack IPL was very nice, and the Make Hay session ipa is a belter.

That canned range of theirs is quality stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Subbuteo wrote: »
    Rochefort 10 for me this evening. A bit more complex than most quadrupels I’ve had. Burning strong aftertaste- I quite like it

That is such an amazing beer. Very jealous!

I on the other hand am drinking a can of Rheinbacher Pils from Aldi.

It’s a pretty damn decent pils considering the very cheap €1 a can’ish price tag.

Perfect with a bbq or pizza imho.

beercloud selling mini kegs of this sweet nector

Keeps selling out shortly after it gets stocked

https://beercloud.ie/product/dead-centre-marooned-keg/?fbclid=IwAR2mm9_BNmPTTEgDNmNhDrPHSKByJRdZPHZgw_dfIP-IkWovEwzt53LtfP8

That is such an amazing beer. Very jealous!

I on the other hand am drinking a can of Rheinbacher Pils from Aldi.

It’s a pretty damn decent pils considering the very cheap €1 a can’ish price tag.

Perfect with a bbq or pizza imho.

Can’t say no to a good cheap pilsner :)

I got the Rochefort as part of a trappist set. It’s a mighty beer alright- Should have saved the La Trappe quadrupel to compare

• Advertisement

beercloud selling mini kegs of this sweet nector

Keeps selling out shortly after it gets stocked

https://beercloud.ie/product/dead-centre-marooned-keg/?fbclid=IwAR2mm9_BNmPTTEgDNmNhDrPHSKByJRdZPHZgw_dfIP-IkWovEwzt53LtfP8

Really need to invest in a second fridge before these kegs disappear post covid.

I'd expect them to continue selling them; they've invested in the filling kit (which isn't particularly dear, but still) and the order quantity for unbranded kegs is not huge. Its really not huge if you split an order across a local set of breweries.

The minimum quantity for branded ones is Rather A Lot looking at the manufacturers marketing materials.

I'd expect them to continue selling them; they've invested in the filling kit (which isn't particularly dear, but still) and the order quantity for unbranded kegs is not huge. Its really not huge if you split an order across a local set of breweries.

The minimum quantity for branded ones is Rather A Lot looking at the manufacturers marketing materials.

Are the kegs disposable or are they operating a growler like system?

Disposable, recycle bin should be fine as it's steel with a very small amount of plastic for the tap and vent. And a removable handle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

a very small amount of plastic for the tap and vent. And a removable handle
    The tap and vent are easily removed too.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The tap and vent are easily removed too.

They didn't come out with a sharp tug so I gave up... its still near the top of the bin though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They're rubber bungs, so a screwdriver will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are the kegs disposable or are they operating a growler like system?

I'm pretty sure that Bierhaus, Cork are refilling them.

Does it not work out cheaper to just buy cans, though? These kegs aren't cheap.

Gurkha premium lager for me this evening with a delivery from the local Nepalese. It’s your average beer, nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Got the "birthday box" from Treaty City delivered today. There's a stout, 2 pale ales, and a watermelon wheat beer. Three of each. Should be a great weekend!

Advertisement