Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Had Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout from Redmonds earlier for the first time, gorgeous, chocolatey and treacly without being sweet, going to buy it again for sure. Got 94 on Beeradvocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Picked up a 3.1 litre box of Oud Beersel Oude Vieux Lambiek in the Bierhaus, Cork.

Really easy drinking balanced Lambic.

Also bought a can of Wide Street, Down to Earth.
    Seriously good Irish sour. Complex, funky, sour, balanced and refreshing.
    For me, this is threatening White Hag Heather sour for best Irish sour beer.

Haven't seen the Heather Sour in a few years. I miss that beer.

Had Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout from Redmonds earlier for the first time, gorgeous, chocolatey and treacly without being sweet, going to buy it again for sure. Got 94 on Beeradvocate.

It’s still the nicest one I’ve found.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Having a can of Galway Bay Of Foam and Fury. It's a couple of years since I've had it and it doesn't seem to be the same. I remember it being a massive hoppy beer but this one is very like their Full Sail. Bit disappointing. Anyone know if it has changed or are my memories fading?
    It was completely rejigged a few years ago when they changed head brewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »

It was always very inconsistent in bottles, too.

I will always remember drinking my first half of OFAF in The Black Sheep. There was so much hype about it and it seemed expensive at the time. I didn't really want to like it, I think, but I loved it. It seemed like Irish craft brewing had finally given us what was being promised for a long time but never delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Thanks, it is probably a few years alright since I've had it. Anyway, in it's current guise I wouldn't be a major fan.

Sampled a West Kerry Beál Bán, and I mean only sampled. Not sure what people’s thinking of them are as I haven’t heard much about them but it’s definitely not my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Managed to lay my hands on GBB Althea & Full Sail here in one of the local supermarkets in The Hague, although not there best work at €2.50 a can I wasn’t leaving them behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

Perlenbacher lidl. 4.50 for 6 330mls bottles can't go wrong. I have tried a lot of beers and is up there with the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Bottle of Francis' Big Bangin IPA, lovely stuff and great value at just 3 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Couple of Kees Caramel Fudge Stout to make me sleep soundly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Barrel Runner by Founders was awful. Tasted like stale IPA mixed with Bacardi, absolutely nothing subtle about the barrel ageing at all.
    On the other hand, Speakerbox by Trouble was a delight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Sampled a West Kerry Beál Bán, and I mean only sampled. Not sure what people’s thinking of them are as I haven’t heard much about them but it’s definitely not my thing.
    Had a few of them down in Dingle, before all this **** kicked off. Thought it was very nice at the time. Granted, I was after half a bottle of wine and 5/6 other pints before I sampled them! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I came across this article some time ago, thought it was really well done: https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2019/11/4/flying-with-clipped-wings-west-kerry-brewery-county-kerry-ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It was always very inconsistent in bottles, too.

I will always remember drinking my first half of OFAF in The Black Sheep. There was so much hype about it and it seemed expensive at the time. I didn't really want to like it, I think, but I loved it. It seemed like Irish craft brewing had finally given us what was being promised for a long time but never delivered.

I was the complete opposite at the time. I really really wanted to like it but I just couldn't get into it. I know it was the first of it's kind from an Irish Brewery but I just wasn't a fan.

As for the new one in the cans. I really like it and think it's a much nicer beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

Subbuteo wrote: »
    They’re new enough aren’t they? The belgian beer company have it in stock, might make an order. Thanks for the tip

I’ve received some Tynt Meadow trappist ale from the Belgian Beer Company. Good call on the recommendation - quite strong on the liquorice and heather. I also got some Spencer trappist ale which I’m looking forward to trying out in the next couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Had an O'Haras Irish Pale Ale last night, first time in a few years. Don't know if its just me or the recipe changed but it seems very different now, much more malty than hoppy now.

Don't know if its just me or the recipe changed but it seems very different now
    Did you check the date? They put 18 months on it, and a dry-hopped pale ale is going to change a lot over the course of that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had an O'Haras Irish Pale Ale last night, first time in a few years. Don't know if its just me or the recipe changed but it seems very different now, much more malty than hoppy now.

Seamus O'Hara did a live Q&A and mentioned it has Citra in the recipe now. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure it used to be Cascade and Amarillo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Did you check the date? They put 18 months on it, and a dry-hopped pale ale is going to change a lot over the course of that.

Best before Oct 20 so maybe you're right. After I poured it into a glass and drank some I had to go fish the bottle out of the bin to make sure it was actually the pale ale, for a second I was convinced it was O'Hara's Red Ale. It wasn't bad by any means, just different to what I remember. I guess memory can play tricks on you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

BaZmO* wrote: »

As for the new one in the cans. I really like it and think it's a much nicer beer.

Anyone tried the OFAF hotsauce made by a company in ireland? Mic's or something? Its lovely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Anyone tried the OFAF hotsauce made by a company in ireland? Mic's or something? Its lovely.

I presume it's the same OFAF sauce they use on the wings in GBB pubs? If so, way too hot for me, I couldn't eat more than a few wings before I gave up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Zaph wrote: »
    I presume it's the same OFAF sauce they use on the wings in GBB pubs? If so, way too hot for me, I couldn't eat more than a few wings before I gave up.

I find it quite hot too so I sometimes mix it with a bit of mayo and put it in the burgers.

It's by no means even close to the hottest sauce the company does either. https://www.micschilli.com/webstore

irish_goat wrote: »
    I find it quite hot too so I sometimes mix it with a bit of mayo and put it in the burgers.

It's by no means even close to the hottest sauce the company does either. https://www.micschilli.com/webstore

Aye i have the Naga one too its insane! :eek:

Got a few nice beers lined up this weekend, but they're all heavy stouts. might work for the stormy weekend. i've gotta Brooklyn brewery Double Chocolate Stout and a Third Barrel Brewing Imperial Stout. Anyone tried the latter?

Anyone tried the latter?
    Yeah, I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It felt a little drier than the last time I tried it, but a bit more dusty chocolate, but still a little thin and not close enough to the Crafty Stout, which has a lot more mouthfeel with much more coffee and slightly charred chocolate notes.
    Managed to get hold of a Trick of the Light last week - was impressed, especially for the money, still no Graffiti but.... Did an evening shop last night, so have all bar the lager of the rebranded O'Shea's for the weekend.

Actually have a few session ale's lined up - O'Hara's Opsession and McGargles Daragh's I've had before, but Foxes Rock is a new one.

My drinking stamina can no longer keep up with my first one or two of a nights drinking pace!

Last one of my Mad Hatters Tea Party now. I’ll miss that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

TESCO prison wine.
    - red grapes from the fruit section
    - baker's yeast (green box) from the baking section
    - icing sugar from the baking section also (because it dissolves better.

I'm not paying 50€ for 700ml of Ethanol

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Managed to get hold of a Trick of the Light last week - was impressed, especially for the money, still no Graffiti but.... Did an evening shop last night, so have all bar the lager of the rebranded O'Shea's for the weekend.

Actually have a few session ale's lined up - O'Hara's Opsession and McGargles Daragh's I've had before, but Foxes Rock is a new one.

My drinking stamina can no longer keep up with my first one or two of a nights drinking pace!

Great! I got a hold of the Pale Dawn one, so will be interesting to see if it's any differe.lnt their normal pale ale, it's a different abv but then I can't remember what the Golden Ale was and haven't seen that. Maybe it's discontinued?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TESCO prison wine.
    - red grapes from the fruit section
    - baker's yeast (green box) from the baking section
    - icing sugar from the baking section also (because it dissolves better.

I'm not paying 50€ for 700ml of Ethanol

~33 quid for 700ml of pure ethanol equivalent if you buy own brand rum...

Advertisement