Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'll be visiting a good friend in Wexford next month. The Sky & The Ground is on the agenda, as well as the Yellow Belly/Lambert's bar. I'm reliably informed of a well-stacked SuperValu in the town too. Anything else worth checking out?

The SuperValu is far and away the best place to buy beer. A good selection of craft beer there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

The best beers available in Ireland, or the best beers in the world?

Sorry should have said the best beers available to purchase in Ireland. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Can't give you a definitive answer on what's the best, coz I haven't drank near enough different varieties.

But I can say that my favourite beer is Scraggy Bay by Kinnegar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Sorry should have said the best beers available to purchase in Ireland.
    Little Fawn by The White Hag: beer of 1,000 uses.
    Thanks.
    Thank me later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I've just learned to give things a shot. Most off licenses / supermarkets will do a X for €X offer. Low risk way to try some craft beers.

Speaking of, Whiplash Rollover was on tonight's menu. I really enjoyed it. It was recommended in a previous thread where I was asking about IPAs. Really pleasant. I liked the fruitiness of it, but it wasn't too bitter. Lovely little can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Got a delivery from the Headline Bar of 'Ambush' and 'Vietnow'. Going to out them in the fridge and drink tomorrow. Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Just picked up 2 cases of these Belgian beers from Lidl which are now chilling in the fridge for tomm:) Anyone tried any of them? Not sure which one to try first.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/craft-beer-specials/belgian-beer-giftpack/p40563

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

zweton wrote: »
    Just picked up 2 cases of these Belgian beers from Lidl which are now chilling in the fridge for tomm:) Anyone tried any of them? Not sure which one to try first.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/craft-beer-specials/belgian-beer-giftpack/p40563

Got them a few years ago and most of them are decent enough. I was fairly well stocked with Chimay blue and Westmalle dubbel from our France trips the last few years where they cost about €1.40 a bottle! Running low though and not looking like we'll get there this year :( so i must get a couple of cases in lidl.

Ryath wrote: »
    Got them a few years ago and most of them are decent enough. I was fairly well stocked with Chimay blue and Westmalle dubbel from our France trips the last few years where they cost about €1.40 a bottle! Running low though and not looking like we'll get there this year :( so i must get a couple of cases in lidl.

Any in that case that stood out?

The Gulden Draak is probably the best of them the but the others as still quite good.

• Advertisement

Classic or the 9000? Or both equally good?

zweton wrote: »
    Classic or the 9000? Or both equally good?

I'd probably favour the classic but I generally prefer darker beers. As I said it's a few years since I last drank them but I did get through quite a few cases that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got that Belgian ale set last year in Lidl and it's well worth it, the two Draaks were the highlight.

Had a Whitel Hag The Puca earlier - really liked it when I had it before, and yes I know it's supposed to be sour, but Jesus Christ this one is off the scale, melt the lining off your mouth sour. Ruins the taste.

Also had a Fourpure Juicebox which was totally meh. Not a patch on Modus Mandarina.

Having a Rascals Wunderbar now, the old reliable :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

yes I know it's supposed to be sour, but Jesus Christ this one is off the scale, melt the lining off your mouth sour. Ruins the taste.
    As with hop bitterness, you get used to it. Drink enough and you start craving it. There's a fashion at the moment for making fruit-flavoured "sour" beers that aren't remotely sour. I'm very glad The White Hag aren't on board with it. All their sour beers are done the long way, with a mixed fermentation and no shortcuts.

Last night also saw Yeastie Boys' Pot Kettle Black Porter. Interestingly, it is brewed by a UK brewery on behalf of Yeastie Boys. Nice can all in all and a little too easy drinking at 6%!

Also, just put in another order (Gordon Bennet!) at Craft Central.ie. Was taken by some of the Rye River offerings as well as a citrus saison from Crooked Stave. I had hoped to pick up Scraggy Bay from Kinnegar, but they were sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Really enjoying Dead Center's TeenyTiny LimitDEAD edition at 3.3%. I can enjoy a sneaky one at lunchtime with a sandwich without getting blathered. The joys of working from home.

At the other end of the spectrum, also enjoying their Sham Maths Amber Ale at 6.2%. Striclty an evening drink, I find it's not as "syrupy" as others at this strength, with a nice cut to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Really enjoying Dead Center's TeenyTiny LimitDEAD edition at 3.3%. I can enjoy a sneaky one at lunchtime with a sandwich without getting blathered. The joys of working from home.

At the other end of the spectrum, also enjoying their Sham Maths Amber Ale at 6.2%. Striclty an evening drink, I find it's not as "syrupy" as others at this strength, with a nice cut to it.

I had one over the weekend and thought it was fantastic. Full of flavour for such a low abv beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I got a few pale ales from Hope to try while watching the NFL draft tonight.. I've only heard good things about their brews

A Black Bucket after many recommendations. It’s nice but I prefer Black Lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I got a few pale ales from Hope to try while watching the NFL draft tonight.. I've only heard good things about their brews

The Plan C 19 is really nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

A Black Bucket after many recommendations. It’s nice but I prefer Black Lightning.

I had a can of this last night and while I enjoyed it, I reckon the bottle I had a few weeks ago was hoppier and tastier.
    Given where they both came from, I reckon the can was fresher but didn't taste it.

I'm putting it down to different batches or else my imagination.

Shannon River. Two of my favourite words together.

In the middle of Rascal’s Wunderbar IPA. Lovely beer! I think I’ve found *the* gateway IPA. Herself has their tropical fruit pale ale and it’s just as good. Really pleased with these two cans. I have their white IPA in the fridge & she has their red ale also.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    In the middle of Rascal’s Wunderbar IPA. Lovely beer! I think I’ve found *the* gateway IPA. Herself has their tropical fruit pale ale and it’s just as good. Really pleased with these two cans. I have their white IPA in the fridge & she has their red ale also.

The Wunderbar is very nice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got a tip from my dad that Lidl were doing some "fancy beers" this week. Picked up the Imperiale French lager from Abbaye de Vauclair for tonight, and another of their beers for tomorrow. There was an interesting looking Scottish stout as well. The Imperiale is lovely. Like Blue Moon on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Aldi seem to have refreshed their o'sheas beers. Picked up a session pale ale called trick of the light. Very nice, smells amazing. Easy drinker. Will buy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Had a can of Vietnow from Trouble Brewing last night.
    It was lovely!!

Just cracked open a can of Little Fawn IPA from White Hag. It’s a hard no from me on this one. There is a very odd aftertaste, to me at least. This won’t be a repeat order for me TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Picked up 4 cans of Hard Skelter in the OF today

Acquire taste but its unusual drink 'Hard sparkling water'

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/hard-seltzer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm a fan of Hopfully, they've had some really tasty beers, and I have to say 12 Lovers is another. Lovely smooth vanilla Baltic porter with just the right amount vanilla so that it's not overpowering or sickly.

Advertisement