Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,221 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sampled* three Ballykilcavan tonight.

Clancy's Cans #1 Raspberry Vice : yes it tasted of raspberries. Otherwise unremarkable. 2/5

Secret Passion Peach and Passionfruit Pale Ale : Fruity notes and drinkable but in no way lives up to the billing. 1.5 / 5

Line Blocker New World Hazy Pale Ale : Decent. 3 / 5

Won't be queueing up to buy any of the above again.

* drank :p

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Jeez if you're desperalte enough to brew bargain basement alcohol you should be looking at cheap fruit juice not actual fruiit which is way more wasteful and expensive.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a mixed case Ballykilcavan delivered today. Had some of their beers at a festival, possibly the Kildare County Show some years ago, which were decent.

Only had Secret Passion so far which wasn't great. Line Blocker is there but I can't remember the third - did you get the same case by any chance? :pac:

Hah! No. Just got three 440 cans for a tenner in my local Molloy's.

I wanted to get 8 Degrees (or Kinnegar cans, not bottles, as I was walking home) but I couldn't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I am in Spain, I really really wish I could get Guinness West Indies porter :( God I miss that stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

cheap fruit juice not actual fruiit which is way more wasteful and expensive.
    The juice you buy is not pure, it has chemicals in it to keep it from fermenting. Even so called 'organic' juice is always full of chems.
    Maybe you can buy juice that is actually organic, but I'm not playing the game of buying every juice on the shelf and checking if it ferments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

L1011 wrote: »
    Got a mixed case Ballykilcavan delivered today. Had some of their beers at a festival, possibly the Kildare County Show some years ago, which were decent.

Only had Secret Passion so far which wasn't great. Line Blocker is there but I can't remember the third - did you get the same case by any chance? :pac:

Tesco do 4 cans of 8 degree's range for a tenner. Absolute Bargain.

Grabbed a few of the Wicklow Wolf Are You Well? yesterday. Deceptively doesn’t taste like a DIPA but it’s so sweet it could be in a Larkins can. Wouldn’t get it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hah! No. Just got three 440 cans for a tenner in my local Molloy's.

I wanted to get 8 Degrees (or Kinnegar cans, not bottles, as I was walking home) but I couldn't see any.

I read that post too fast and thought you got 440 cans for a tenner. :D

DenMan wrote: »

I was near on the way down myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

DenMan wrote: »

Thats what it says. Not only 440 cans but 3 of them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Yesterday evening I had

* a bottle of Founders 2016 KBS 12.2%
    Never had this before. Very rich and enjoyable stout with coffee, chocolate and vanilla
    - can of narwhal barrel aged Imperial stout at 11.9%.
    Also very good but not as nice as the KBs
    * Speakerbox by Trouble brewing - 7.6%
    A DDH IPA - really liked it
    * can of Hope and Brewdog Outpost Dublin American Pale Ale - very meh

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone try this before ???

Going to try it later, seems a crazy idea. Same company make Vodka Beer, Tequila Beer among others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone try this before ???

Going to try it later, seems a crazy idea. Same company make Vodka Beer, Tequila Beer among others

Where did you get that?

Where did you get that?

I’ve seen it in a few Carry-Out off-licences, a whole range of them.

Where did you get that?

Local off Licence

Heres there site you might find where they stock

https://www.xmarkdrinks.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I was able to have some of O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale (good), Brú's IPA (also good, which Untappd says is now out of production) and Journeyman's Session IPA (eh).

I have O'Hara's Extra Stout put away for later in the week (which I am particularly looking forward to). I also had to make a stop at Lidl so I've chanced it on the some The Crafty Beer Company bottles since I've read some good things along these threads. Bought the American Wheat Pale Ale, the Brown Ale and their Saisson.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Brú's IPA (also good, which Untappd says is now out of production)
    When they relaunched, they created a whole new entry for the brewery and its beers, so the old Brú IPA is "out of production" but the new one isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

BeerNut wrote: »
    When they relaunched, they created a whole new entry for the brewery and its beers, so the old Brú IPA is "out of production" but the new one isn't.

Ah - I would suppose I actually had the new one (the narrative on the bottle references mergers etc, and the BB date is May 2021...) but Untappd still directed me to the old one. Oh well - was a nice beer all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

Had some Spencer Trappist ale last night. It’s more similar to Leffe than I had expected. Not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Having a couple of tins of Native IPA by Lough Gill this evening. It's gotten a few bad reviews on here but I think it's ok. Nothing special but a nice enough beer for only 2 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

drank our fridge dry so had a rummage round the garage found these....
    https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uNGkTpdDgKg/S1buNQcZkCI/AAAAAAAAAFg/iHMJ-1kMjuE/s320/breo+beer+001.JPG

horsed all 6... taste more musty than citrusy if ya ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

La Trappe Quadrupel- very nice and dry strong beer. You can taste all of the 10%...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Lervig Liquid Sex Robot 7.9%

I'm in heaven

Subbuteo wrote: »
    La Trappe Quadrupel- very nice and dry strong beer. You can taste all of the 10%...

I had a bottle of that the last couple of Christmas Days after dinner (would have had the O'Haras whiskey barrel aged stout if I could, but couldn't get one.)

Nice indeed but at that % and after a big feed (and a nice red with dinner) it's sleepy time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

A can of Carlsberg tonight lads. The only cheapish beer (Pilsner) from a can that has a great head and a refreshing taste imo. Thank you Denmark. It's the same in the pubs (remember them?). Carlsberg is a nice beer and it's on special offer right now (12 cans for €14 in Centra).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Atlantic Odyssey Red IPA really enjoying this beer these days.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-ale-samuel-adams-boston-lager-500-millilitre-/p-1338721000

Anyone try this ??, might pick up a bottle the weekend if theres any left in my local SV

Just opened. 12 acres winter is coming. From a poor bunch it’s the best oatmeal stout in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Anyone try this ??, might pick up a bottle the weekend if theres any left in my local SV
    Samuel Adams Boston Lager? Yes, it's worth a go. It's been around since the '80s though the version we get is brewed in England. I don't think it's quite as good as the American one but at least it's fresher.

Advertisement