Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

Got the "birthday box" from Treaty City delivered today. There's a stout, 2 pale ales, and a watermelon wheat beer. Three of each. Should be a great weekend!

Be interested to hear what the watermelon is like.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll hopefully be having one of each tomorrow evening. Will report back here with my findings. :)

I'll hopefully be having one of each tomorrow evening. Will report back here with my findings. :)

Nice one. I was too late but as soon as the Thomond lands again I’ll do a regular mix order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nock13

Kirin Ichiban tonight!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It is very drinkable. Nice and fruity, a sessionable ABV, and not too fizzy.

• Advertisement

beercloud selling mini kegs of this sweet nector

Keeps selling out shortly after it gets stocked

https://beercloud.ie/product/dead-centre-marooned-keg/?fbclid=IwAR2mm9_BNmPTTEgDNmNhDrPHSKByJRdZPHZgw_dfIP-IkWovEwzt53LtfP8

4 back in stock

*Edit* Make that 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm pretty sure that Bierhaus, Cork are refilling them.

Does it not work out cheaper to just buy cans, though? These kegs aren't cheap.

This is what I've been wondering, is it more of a gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

This is what I've been wondering, is it more of a gimmick.

I bought one when i had a week off work in April, was nice to have something different, and made for 2 enjoyable days in the garden in the sun, will be getting more when i'm off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Trouble Brewing, VooDoo lounge maple stout.
    9.2% abv

It's a work night.,.. this is such a bad idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It is very drinkable. Nice and fruity, a sessionable ABV, and not too fizzy.
    How strong is it?

• Advertisement

Just had eight degrees new Nomad pils.
    Strange that they are reusing an old name on a new beer, either way, it wasn't great.

Just had eight degrees new Nomad pils.
    Strange that they are reusing an old name on a new beer
    They've dropped the ABV but I'm not sure it counts as a new beer.

BeerNut wrote: »
    How strong is it?

4.3%

I think the strongest of the Birthday case is only 4.8%

BeerNut wrote: »
    They've dropped the ABV but I'm not sure it counts as a new beer.

It's labelled as pils now and it definitely tastes different. They changed enough that changing the name would have been justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I've had a couple of O'Hara's beers over the last few evenings - specifically their session IPA, white IPA, NE IPA. I can't say I'm overwhelmed by them and I would rate them average at best.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I've had a couple of O'Hara's beers over the last few evenings - specifically their session IPA, white IPA, NE IPA. I can't say I'm overwhelmed by them and I would rate them average at best.

Agreed, but I have to say their Lean Folainn (sp?) stout is brilliant for the price. Especially as you can usually get four of them for €10 in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Agreed, but I have to say their Lean Folainn (sp?) stout is brilliant for the price. Especially as you can usually get four of them for €10 in tesco

Ah yes - I omitted that from my list! Agreed, that was a pleasant stout. Their IPAs have just missed the mark for me. Nothing overwhelming good. An even I, with little palette or beer experience, would not call their NE IPA a NE IPA...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Ah yes - I omitted that from my list! Agreed, that was a pleasant stout. Their IPAs have just missed the mark for me. Nothing overwhelming good. An even I, with little palette or beer experience, would not call their NE IPA a NE IPA...

Their Irish Pale Ale was impressive in its day - there was only it and Galway Hooker available if you wanted an Irish Pale Ale.
    Lean Follain is a fantastic stout.

I've never rated anything else they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Their Irish Pale Ale was impressive in its day - there was only it and Galway Hooker available if you wanted an Irish Pale Ale.
    Lean Follain is a fantastic stout.

I've never rated anything else they've done.

I think that they haven't moved as fast as the market has. They need to shake up their core beers. They still have some nice beers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leann Follain is my favourite beer. I would somewhat concur on the their IPA line up, although I rate their Irish Pale Ale, and Notorious Red IPA. Their Red Ale is also decent.

Hazy White is on my list for this evening actually. I'm not a fan of wheat beers (although I may have to revisit that after really enjoying Hope's "Grunt"!), but the missus who does like them, rates O'Hara's Freebird White IPA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Bit of a mix the last week or so
    Hope Handsome Jack - Nice IPA but maybe a tad dry for my taste.
    McGargles Dan's Double IPA - Definitely not as nice as their big banging ipa, not even sure why this exists. Not bad though.
    Anchor Steam Beer - Always brings back great memories of my time San Francisco, did the Anchor brewery tour drinking samples at 11 in the morning.
    Magic Rock High Wire Grapefruit - Nice and fruity like it says on the can, just need a sunny day to sit in garden and enjoy it properly.
    Brewdog Hazy Jane - Superbly executed NEIPA. Brings me back to the heyday of Brewdog, I find most of their current core offerings are underwhelming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

On the new Session IPA Pirate Bay from Yellowbelly tonight. It's a zingy drop

On the new Session IPA Pirate Bay from Yellowbelly tonight. It's a zingy drop

There’s a weird after taste off it for me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dead Centre Sham Maths. First of their beers I've had and I'm impressed. Not too many American Ambers around on this side of the Atlantic, so good to see they made a decent job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

There’s a weird after taste off it for me.

Yeah I know what you mean but I actually enjoyed the few cans I had

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

I think that they haven't moved as fast as the market has. They need to shake up their core beers. They still have some nice beers though.

Some of the best beers I've ever had have been from urban brewing. They're well able to keep up but for whatever reason they dont go after that market segment under the O'Haras brand.

They also had a grapefruit IPA at ICBF one year that was crazy good. The beer Elvis Juice wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Got the "birthday box" from Treaty City delivered today. There's a stout, 2 pale ales, and a watermelon wheat beer. Three of each. Should be a great weekend!

How you finding them?

Started in my box last night...Wheat Beer my favourite followed by the Stout

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    How you finding them?

Started in my box last night...Wheat Beer my favourite followed by the Stout

I had one of each on Thursday evening, among a few other beverages. D'Island IPA was my favourite. The watermelon wheat bear would be perfect if we get another spell of BBQ weather. I couldn't really trust my taste buds by the time I got to the stout, so I'll just have to try that one again tomorrow. :pac:

Went for a bottle of Yannaroddy porter from Kinnegar tonight. Amazing beer.

The beer Elvis Juice wanted to be.
    Haha! That's a great description of it, and absolutely true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭VW 1

Siren broken dreams last night, lovely stout, never disappoints. For 6.5 has a great texture, and holds up with some of the higher abv imperial stouts for flavour

Also an O'Hara's IPA and red ale preceding that, and a Sierra Nevada hazy IPA which was labelled as a session beer at 4.6%, which seems to be a stretch. Would've thought under 4 would be session labelled. Tasty all the same.

Advertisement