Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Captains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

If it’s anything like my local Spar that means it’s probably €4 in a proper shop.

The girl on the checkout couldn't believe it either when she scanned it.
    She called over her supervisor to double check.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

If it’s anything like my local Spar that means it’s probably €4 in a proper shop.

Pretty sure these used to cost £3 back in the day - cant say I ever had the financial confidence to buy one..

Live in the uk now and a vienetta is £1 in asda. Like free money that!! (Based on last fridays podcast the germans must be paying for it!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Rafa on todays show discussing the game last night

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andrea1983

He obviously does. The lads could/would be putting out more relevant content if they didn't have him farting out his 'whimsy' every day to beef up their offering. They used to do 2 shows on a Monday and a Thursday for instance. Now it's one, with DOD thrown in. Not much use for people who don't like him.

the absolute state of this.

literally getting world class content for free and still moaning about it :rolleyes:

Ken's interview with Mathew Klein recently was also genuinely brilliant. Bit of a polymath is young Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Rafa on todays show discussing the game last night

Good stuff.

Hi, lads *wave*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Brian Kerr was brilliant yesterday, wouldn't have cared if they didn't even mention the book, vaguely knew his father was into boxing, was great to get a bit of context, his enthusiastic reading of passages from the book was nearly worth this months fee alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Yeah, you gotta love Brian Kerr. His passion and enthusiasm always shine through, he's a great listen.

Shame how it all went with the FAI for him, think he could have been a great Ireland manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Brian Kerr was brilliant yesterday, wouldn't have cared if they didn't even mention the book, vaguely knew his father was into boxing, was great to get a bit of context, his enthusiastic reading of passages from the book was nearly worth this months fee alone.

First time they've had a guest on that you could get a sense of the book they were talking about.

Compare that to the Shane Hogan interview.

Good stuff.

Hi, lads *wave*

We're the plebs, it's only the twitter folks and the e-mailers that get their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭al87987

Tim Vickery with another excellent Brazilian update, this one over on OTB.

• Advertisement

al87987 wrote: »
    Tim Vickery with another excellent Brazilian update, this one over on OTB.

The is the SC thread though?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Yeah Kerr is a delight to listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

The interview with Victoria Arien was incredible. Unbelievable what she went through

Who is she? When it got to the weekend I skipped a few, and seen Michael Chieka in a description.

Who is she? When it got to the weekend I skipped a few, and seen Michael Chieka in a description.

She's a paralympic gold medallist. She spent years living with locked in syndrome.

How she didn't go crazy was amazing. Her attitude and positivity was pretty incredible.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we never get a showdown between Ken and Lance Armstrong at some point.

Arghus wrote: »
    She's a paralympic gold medallist. She spent years living with locked in syndrome.

How she didn't go crazy was amazing. Her attitude and positivity was pretty incredible.

Which episode?

Which episode?

Friday, stuff about Lance Armstrong and premier league at the start of the pod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The George Gibney podcast series they're doing got BBC (is it just Mark?) has been deferred until August:

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/1267497657418858496

• Advertisement

Finally got around to Googling his name, never heard of him before. One to give a miss anyway.

Jim Root wrote: »
    Yeah Kerr is a delight to listen to

Ritchie is tough going though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

dulpit wrote: »
    The George Gibney podcast series they're doing got BBC (is it just Mark?) has been deferred until August:

https://twitter.com/SecondCaptains/status/1267497657418858496

Weird that it is deferred, thought it was meant for April. Why would COVID-19 be any reason to defer a pre recorded podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ritchie is tough going though.

What's the connection?

elefant wrote: »
    What's the connection?

Did he not conduct the interview?

Edit: Apologies, I thought it was a Players Chair and set it aside.

Just listened back to it there now, interesting enough chat, although it seemed Kerr spoke more about his father than the book he was on to review.

Shame his line wasn't 100% too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I enjoy the book reviews but they usually spend very little time actually reviewing the book and instead they become standard interviews of whoever the guest is.

• Advertisement

I enjoy the book reviews but they usually spend very little time actually reviewing the book and instead they become standard interviews of whoever the guest is.

Yeah quite annoying. They should do the reviews internally.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Yeah quite annoying. They should do the reviews internally.

Agreed. I always look forward to the one they do at Christmas of the best sports books from the year.

If they want to keep that slot for books released during the calendar year thats fine then get a panel of journalists on to discuss 4-5 classic sports books and hidden gems. Talking about the likes of Rough Ride, Back from the Brink, The Club etc over an hours podcast would be much better

Even though the Kerr one was pretty decent, the book review shows are near a total waste of time.

How can they be interesting if about 90% of the people listening to it haven't read the book that they're talking about?

The one at Christmas works a lot better, because there's usually a greater variety of subjects being discussed and most of it is topical. It's not an unsatisfactory halfway mixture of interview and review.

It was worth trying and they did their best and that's okay, but the slot is a bit of waste IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

I've always thought the book club slot would be better if they talked about non-sports books, and if there was more of the guys talking together about it, rather than it being all with a guest.

But I guess they are a sports podcast, so it makes sense the way it is now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

Friday Night Lights is an outstanding choice, so many interesting discussion points. Will give the book review slot another go this time, have skipped the last few.

• Advertisement

radharc wrote: »
    Friday Night Lights is an outstanding choice, so many interesting discussion points. Will give the book review slot another go this time, have skipped the last few.

When’s that on? It’s one of two books I’ve ever read so I never thought I’d get to listen to this slot knowing the book already. It was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭radharc

When’s that on? It’s one of two books I’ve ever read so I never thought I’d get to listen to this slot knowing the book already. It was excellent.

Don’t think they said, it is a work in progress. Shane O’Donnell will be the guest so it sounds promising.

Great listening to Ken tearing down Armstrong. They've really pumped out some good stuff over lockdown infairness to them. Well worth the 5euro a month.

Yeah its usually better that Ken watches/reads things that annoy him, some of the articles he read out during the year were great (Charlie Austin interview was gold)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I liked the Luke Chadwick players chair, very interesting. Also ken doing "Cillian in the name of" cracks me up every time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Really hope they dig out that old commentary Ken was talking about from that Liverpool Arsenal game on NT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Really hope they dig out that old commentary Ken was talking about from that Liverpool Arsenal game on NT!

Ha ha, that'd be gas. I get the feeling the don't want to in case the other unnamed commentator isn't happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ha ha, that'd be gas. I get the feeling the don't want to in case the other unnamed commentator isn't happy about it.

I was cringing when I was listening to that as something similar happened to me before. I was abroad on a networking event and thought it would be great to bring unfamiliar business colleagues to an Irish pub in Berlin to watch Wales v Ireland, the one were McLean scored the winner in a glorious 0-1 away victory. Plenty of jars in me as we celebrated the goal wildly; only for me, in my drunken state, to jump up on the table and celebrate the identical second goal, before realising to my horror, much too late, that I was watching a replay of the earlier goal. I’ll never forget the embarrassment. lol.

Jim Root wrote: »
    I was cringing when I was listening to that as something similar happened to me before. I was abroad on a networking event and thought it would be great to bring unfamiliar business colleagues to an Irish pub in Berlin to watch Wales v Ireland, the one were McLean scored the winner in a glorious 0-1 away victory. Plenty of jars in me as we celebrated the goal wildly; only for me, in my drunken state, to jump up on the table and celebrate the identical second goal, before realising to my horror, much too late, that I was watching a replay of the earlier goal. I’ll never forget the embarrassment. lol.

Hands up, I did the same once when Thierry Henry was bangin 'em in for fun against Leeds.

Jesus, I still cringe about it.

Ken tried his absolute best today to get a rise out of Jonathan Wilson. Without much success.

Arghus wrote: »
    Ken tried his absolute best today to get a rise out of Jonathan Wilson. Without much success.

Ken though he was in court trying to prove his case. He was just short of saying "you want the truth? You can't handle the truth". Funny though, but Wilson is some lad, he has an amazing knowledge of the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I think Ken needs a chill pill ? The lockdown had done him no favours.... maybe they broadcast a weekly session with Richie ? See what’s at the core of Ken’s RAGE !!! And if it can be soothed.....Otherwise I don’t think contributors will continue to appear on the show.... I know for a fact Marcotti refuses to be on the show with Ken after their last “verbal bust up”

A) How do you know that for a fact?, and,

B) if it is a fact, that was one of Ken's most valuable contributions to the podcast. Nay, the world.

Edit: if he would only turn up on Golazzo to do that again, everything would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭healy1835

I think Ken needs a chill pill ? The lockdown had done him no favours.... maybe they broadcast a weekly session with Richie ? See what’s at the core of Ken’s RAGE !!! And if it can be soothed.....Otherwise I don’t think contributors will continue to appear on the show.... I know for a fact Marcotti refuses to be on the show with Ken after their last “verbal bust up”

To be fair, I think Wilson and Ken are quite friendly so I'd imagine he was playing along with Ken and was in on Ken's 'rage'.

Marcotti is absolutely no loss. I can't listen to him. He's never, ever, ever wrong. About anything. He can't even countenance the possibility that he might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

It sounded like two friends having a chat, with one failing to wind the other up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

What a load of nerd nonsense. The 1966 chat with Wilson was brilliant and very clearly a jokey conversation as others noted with Ken trying his best to wind up Wilson. Love listening to Wilson, anything he shows up on i'll listen to. Such random obscure information he has too.

The comment about contributors refusing to appear on the back of that is laughable to be honest. Also, how can you know for a fact that Marcotti won't appear? Any link to back that up?

I don't know if you're being serious or taking the piss here.

Ah, the conversation with Ken and Jonathan Wilson was only a bit of a laugh, I don't think Ken genuinely believed about 80% of what he was saying.

I don't believe what you say about Marcotti, but hopefully it is true: absolutely no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Seamy Fitz

:eek:

Ken is on fire at the moment. The lockdown has brought out the best in the boys.

Jesus, lads. Most of ye are regular enough on this thread to know that Elton John fella isn't too be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Seamy Fitz wrote: »
    :eek:

Ken is on fire at the moment. The lockdown has brought out the best in the boys.

They never leave home, those boys

• Advertisement

I listen to a few podcasts recorded in different locations and it's pretty obvious they were in different places. But the sound quality on SC has been excellent, you'd completely forget the lads are recording from different locations.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement