Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It’s one of the great works of fiction.

Please explain? Thank you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

anewme wrote: »
    We would ask that if you or anyone you know is considering or has planned Christmas/New Years or a Corporate Event at a Greyhound Track to please reconsider."

Fair play to the DSPCA for saying this. The only way this barbaric "sport" will be stamped out is when people stop attending.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please explain? Thank you.

This is a link to IGBs submission. It’ll explain it better than I can. https://www.igb.ie/globalassets/report-pdfs/bai/igb-bai-correspondence-2019---redacted.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Fair play to the DSPCA for saying this. The only way this barbaric "sport" will be stamped out is when people stop attending.

Looks like they dont know what they are talking about.

Not the first time ...

It's not brain surgery. If dogs are found being illegally transported then that needs fixed. It's not an excuse to use as a stick to beat everyone with or a witch hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This is a link to IGBs submission. It’ll explain it better than I can. https://www.igb.ie/globalassets/report-pdfs/bai/igb-bai-correspondence-2019---redacted.pdf

But yet the BAI rejected this complaint stating:

It found the programme explored its subject matter in “a fair and impartial manner” and “was a comprehensive exploration of the topic in a factual manner which was fair, objective and impartial”.

• Advertisement

But yet the BAI rejected this complaint stating:

It found the programme explored its subject matter in “a fair and impartial manner” and “was a comprehensive exploration of the topic in a factual manner which was fair, objective and impartial”.

I’m afraid that I cannot agree with them.

gozunda wrote: »

Not the first time ...

It's not brain surgery. If dogs are found being illegally transported then that needs fixed. It's not an excuse to use as a stick to beat everyone with or a witch hunt.

IGB are the ones who dont know what they are talking about...as it's just one embarassing fck up after another and yet its the animals who suffer.

Let's see what sanctions are taken against the owners /trainers.?

Someone was looking down on those 12 very lucky dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Not the first time ...

Of course they know what they are talking about. The DSPCA do incredible work for the welfare of dogs on a tiny fraction of the funding they receive, compared to the 16.8 million euro the Greyhound Industry receives annually.

Let's be clear, the dogs' welfare is paramount over anything else in this industry and to use your wording, the dogs are more likely to be actually beaten by sticks or used as bait for hunting - than any of the general public are. The DSPCA has a role in raising awareness of animal welfare and education amongst schools and the general public. The more people that are informed about the consequences and destiny of the discarded victims of this industry the better for society overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

IGB are the ones who dont know what they are talking about...as it's just one embarassing fck up after another and yet its the animals who suffer.

Whatever action will be taken, it won't be by the IGB, unless the shipper's under their remit (and I doubt it, it's likely to be the Dept. of Agriculture.)

Now - if the shipper is indeed named, will the IGB ban them from being used? Will the noble selfless dog trainers publically agree to never use that shipper again?

Yeah we get it you dont like greyhound racing

So for example would you blame the NRA for each and every road death when people get hurt or die?

If they dogs have been seized then prosecutions should follow and rightly so. Or is it that you'd prefer a witch hunt and public flogging?

• Advertisement

Of course they know what they are talking about. The DSPCA do incredible work for the welfare of dogs on a tiny fraction of the funding they receive, compared to the 16.8 million euro the Greyhound Industry receives annually.

Let's be clear, the dogs' welfare is paramount over anything else in this industry and to use your wording, the dogs are more likely to be actually beaten by sticks or used as bait for hunting - than any of the general public are. The DSPCA has a role in raising awareness of animal welfare and education amongst schools and the general public. The more people that are informed about the consequences and destiny of the discarded victims of this industry the better for society overall.

Nope they dont if they take to throwing ****e at all and sundry.

Who is comparing the funding of the IGB and the DSPCA btw. Do the DSPCA raise its funding through it's own activities?

Angel eyes thems not my words there yours. The DSPCA are supposed to be involved rehoming looking after animals in their care not getting on a bandwagon with the the usual screamers. There are rogues in all walks of life - even some pet owners can be bastards.

Who is comparing the funding of the IGB and the DSPCA btw. Do the DSPCA raise its funding through it's own activities?

Angel eyes thems not my words there yours. The DSPCA are supposed to be involved rehoming animals not getting on a bandwagon with the the usual screamers. There are rogues in all walks of life - even pet owners can be bastards.

The DSPCA's funding structure is available on their website as is their remit and functions. I know you won't bother going to the website but rehoming animals is only one part of their work.

I am comparing the funding because it is important that it is highlighted in this forum especially as you questioned the charity's statement following the discovery of the dogs.

Angel eyes thems not my words there yours. The DSPCA are supposed to be involved rehoming animals not getting on a bandwagon with the the usual screamers. There are rogues in all walks of life - even some pet owners can be bastards.

I’m sure that no dog ever lost it’s life while in the care of the DSPCA?!

The DSPCA's funding structure is available on their website as is their remit and functions. I know you won't bother going to the website but rehoming animals is only one part of their work.

I am comparing the funding because it is important that it is highlighted in this forum especially as you questioned the charity's statement following the discovery of the dogs.

I know how the DSPCA are funded. I know how the IGB are also funded. And two bodies are not comparable.

I do question their bandwagoining

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The primary role of the DSPCA is to prevent cruelty - the clue is in the name. Raising awareness helps to prevent cruelty. Every official animal welfare organisation opposes racing.

And to clarify 90% of their funding comes from donations.

I’m sure that no dog ever lost it’s life while in the care of the DSPCA?!

Well a small number of animals have to be put to sleep by vets due to the dreadful abuse that many animals suffer by humans. Many animals recover physically following treatment but for some the only humane option is to put them to sleep. I would suggest you follow their page on facebook if you are on it, as the work they do is amazing.

Well a small number of animals have to be put to sleep by vets due to the dreadful abuse that many animals suffer by humans. Many animals recover physically following treatment but for some the only humane option is to put them to sleep. I would suggest you follow their page on facebook if you are on it, as the work they do is amazing.

And a lot of their work arises from the negligence of the Greyhound industry.

Well it's pretty fair to say that those 12 greyhounds will fare better under the care of DSPCA rather than the IGB where they were registered.

Discodog wrote: »
    And a lot of their work arises from the negligence of the Greyhound industry.

A bit like the homeless “Industry”. Need to justify their existence.

The primary role of the DSPCA is to prevent cruelty - the clue is in the name. Raising awareness helps to prevent cruelty. Every official animal welfare organisation opposes racing.

And to clarify 90% of their funding comes from donations.

Is that the stance you would like for every group to have eh? So you would deny that animal welfare groups like the Dogs Trust have cooperated and worked with the IGB?

But yeah it wasn't me comparing the funding

• Advertisement

A bit like the homeless “Industry”. Need to justify their existence.

Comments like that just back up my view that there are no compassionate Greyhound owners.

Comments like that just back up my view that there are no compassionate Greyhound owners.

I agree, it's sickening really but we shouldn't be surprised.

So what you are saying that no matter where there are people who do not treat their animals correctly. I'd agree with that. Important that prosecutions are brought for those involved. Thankfully the majority of people are not like that in my experience.

You don’t know me. Just Like you don’t know the vast majority of greyhound owners. My greyhounds are part of my family. Part of my life. Share my couch and often my bed.

I agree, it's sickening really but we shouldn't be surprised.

Oh I have been around far too long to be surprised. No matter how much they claim to care about welfare there will continue to be incidents that prove they don't.

The RTE follow up will show that little has really changed.

You don’t know me. Just Like you don’t know the vast majority of greyhound owners. My greyhounds are part of my family. Part of my life. Share my couch and often my bed.

It's a shame that, based on your posts here, you don't care about the thousands of Greyhounds that don't enjoy such pleasure.

So what you are saying that no matter where there are people who do not treat their animals correctly. I'd agree with that. Important that prosecutions are brought for those involved. Thankfully the majority of people are not like that in my experience.

I don't know what your first sentence means.

Court Prosecutions are rarely brought under the relevant acts against perpetrators.

I don't know what your first sentence means.

Court Prosecutions are rarely brought under the relevant acts against perpetrators.

We will probably hear that the owner records, for these dogs, can't be found or they were never chipped.

It's a shame that, based on your posts here, you don't care about the thousands of Greyhounds that don't enjoy such pleasure.

WHAT Thousands. Coursing greyhounds weren’t taken into consideration, Nor were those legitimately sold to the UK when the figures used in the RTÉ program were misrepresented.

• Advertisement

We will probably hear that the owner records, for these dogs, can't be found or they were never chipped.

Again showing ignorance of the law. Since April 1st 2016, ALL Greyhounds had to be microchipped. They couldn’t run, course or be sold without this.

Advertisement