Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Again showing ignorance of the law. Since April 1st 2016, ALL Greyhounds had to be microchipped. They couldn’t run, course or be sold without this.

So we can look forward to the owner names being released? No of course not.

WHAT Thousands. Coursing greyhounds weren’t taken into consideration, Nor were those legitimately sold to the UK when the figures used in the RTÉ program were misrepresented.

The BAI didn't find any misrepresentation. Not just thousands but tens of thousands. Ten thousand alone on one farm.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/the-man-whos-shot-10000-greyhounds-634089

Discodog wrote: »
    So we can look forward to the owner names being released? No of course not.

Why not? They should be named. At one time, selling greyhounds to Spain wasn’t allowed. However, the EU intervened and said that we couldn’t stop this. Since then, responsible owners, (like me) made sure that when we sold a dog that we knew where it was going. So, those who sell dogs without caring where they go need identifying.

The BAI didn't find any misrepresentation. Not just thousands but tens of thousands. Ten thousand alone on one farm.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/the-man-whos-shot-10000-greyhounds-634089

Totally different scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You don’t know me. Just Like you don’t know the vast majority of greyhound owners. My greyhounds are part of my family. Part of my life. Share my couch and often my bed.

Which makes your passion for a " sport" that blatantly exploits them totally incomprehensible. A total, bizarre anomaly.

By all means treat them as you are doing so well and as so many of do ( 2 of my cats abed with me now and every night) but racing them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:confused: Please elucidate; thank you

You criticised the footage of one dog being shot at the knackers.

Here were 10000 Greyhounds , many of them Irish dogs, being shot on a farm. The owners paid him to kill them.

It's a similar scenario but on a huge scale.

You criticised the footage of one dog being shot at the knackers.

Here were 10000 Greyhounds , many of them Irish dogs, being shot on a farm. The owners paid him to kill them.

It's a similar scenario but on a huge scale.

Different country. Case has been dealt with by the UK authorities.

The killing of dogs in the knackeries was rightly brought to our attention and has been stopped. But everything else in that program had anything to do with current greyhound racing in Ireland.

Different country. Case has been dealt with by the UK authorities.

The killing of dogs in the knackeries was rightly brought to our attention and has been stopped. But everything else in that program had anything to do with current greyhound racing in Ireland.

Irish owners sent their dogs to be shot on an English farm. "Our attention"? So you are a spokesperson person for the IGB?

The mass slaughter was highlighted to you many, many years ago. You did nothing then & you will do nothing now.

You won't let 10000 dead dogs spoil your entertainment.

Irish owners sent their dogs to be shot on an English farm. "Our attention"? So you are a spokesperson person for the IGB?

The mass slaughter was highlighted to you many, many years ago. You did nothing then & you will do nothing now.

You won't let 10000 dead dogs spoil your entertainment.

“Our attention” is the general public. That case in the UK was dealt with when it surfaced. Those using his “services” should also have been prosecuted.
    Have you any idea how much it costs to send a dog to the UK? At a time when the council pound would dispose of the dog for a quarter the cost?
    There are bad eggs in every industry, organisation, etc. That doesn’t make us all bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

There are bad eggs in every industry, organisation, etc. That doesn’t make us all bad.

When there are enough rotten eggs in the cake, you throw the whole cake out.

Your arguments make no sense on this thread and it's because you're defending something indefensible by acting like it doesn't really happen, even though the evidence is all out there.

Pull the money out of greyhound racing and we'll see who keeps it up as a hobby then.

When there are enough rotten eggs in the cake, you throw the whole cake out.

Your arguments make no sense on this thread and it's because you're defending something indefensible by acting like it doesn't really happen, even though the evidence is all out there.

Pull the money out of greyhound racing and we'll see who keeps it up as a hobby then.

When I read about Irish dogs being sent to England to be killed and buried in someone’s back garden, I know that the poster hasn’t a clue about the reality.
    In order to send a greyhound to England FOR ANY REASON, it must firstly have a pet passport, which includes microchip, up to date vaccinations including rabies, worm and flea treatments. This alone costs €200 at a minimum. Add in transport costs of between €80 and €100 and you realise that paying the local council pound €25 to do it legally is the preferred option.

“Our attention” is the general public. That case in the UK was dealt with when it surfaced. Those using his “services” should also have been prosecuted.
    Have you any idea how much it costs to send a dog to the UK? At a time when the council pound would dispose of the dog for a quarter the cost?

It wasn't dealt with. Years later we still have Greyhound owners taking their dogs to be shot.

Just like before the industry will make promises & then forget them when the heat dies down.

If the so called good eggs do nothing but continue to defend the industry then of course they will be condemned.

It wasn't dealt with. Years later we still have Greyhound owners taking their dogs to be shot.

Just like before the industry will make promises & then forget them when the heat dies down.

If the so called good eggs do nothing but continue to defend the industry then of course they will be condemned.

If you have proof of this, then go to the Gardai or the Police. The idea that someone would waste hundreds of euros sending a dog to another country to be killed when it costs a fraction of that amount to do the legal put a dog down here is ridiculous.

The good eggs have ensured that all greyhounds born are traceable from birth to death. I know that you don’t believe me. I’ve been involved with greyhounds since I was born. I KNOW what I’m talking about. Please, educate YOURSELF, rather than believe what others want you to believe.

When I read about Irish dogs being sent to England to be killed and buried in someone’s back garden, I know that the poster hasn’t a clue about the reality.
    In order to send a greyhound to England FOR ANY REASON, it must firstly have a pet passport, which includes microchip, up to date vaccinations including rabies, worm and flea treatments. This alone costs €200 at a minimum. Add in transport costs of between €80 and €100 and you realise that paying the local council pound €25 to do it legally is the preferred option.

I have more of a clue than you could ever imagine. Many of the 10000 dead Greyhounds, on that farm, were identified as Irish. This was confirmed in Court.

Chucking a dozen dogs in a van doesn't cost a lot. Yes Irish owners used to send their dogs to the Pound to be killed. However when Pounds started listing the Greyhound deaths separately it stopped as it's bad for PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If you have proof of this, then go to the Gardai or the Police. The idea that someone would waste hundreds of euros sending a dog to another country to be killed when it costs a fraction of that amount to do the legal put a dog down here is ridiculous.

The good eggs have ensured that all greyhounds born are traceable from birth to death. I know that you don’t believe me. I’ve been involved with greyhounds since I was born. I KNOW what I’m talking about. Please, educate YOURSELF, rather than believe what others want you to believe.
    I'd have more faith in what you're saying if you weren't constantly trying to push a narrative that everything is fine within the greyhound industry and everybody that says otherwise is lying or talking about things that don't happen anymore; despite constant evidence to the contrary. Your attempts to paint animal charities as the bad guys is also poor form. I'm sure you love your dogs and look after them well, but plenty of people don't and IGB are complicit in this abuse by their constant insistence in brushing things under the carpet and allowing them to continue.

Your issue is with IGB allowing these rotten eggs to continue to defile your passion, not with the people who are outraged by animal abuse.

I am self educated from decades of being actively involved in animal welfare.

I have heard lie upon lie from the Greyhound lobby & the IGB. Changes are supposedly implemented & then quietly forgotten about.

Your constant patronising & belittling does little to promote your cause.

I have more of a clue than you could ever imagine. Many of the 10000 dead Greyhounds, on that farm, were identified as Irish. This was confirmed in Court.

Chucking a dozen dogs in a van doesn't cost a lot. Yes Irish owners used to send their dogs to the Pound to be killed. However when Pounds started listing the Greyhound deaths separately it stopped as it's bad for PR.

Just shows what you know about the cost ferry travel!

How on earth did they identify what were essentially bones? As this case predates microchipping and possibly DNA testing.

It wasn’t bad PR that stopped the killing of greyhounds in pounds, but updated IGB regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well 'that' farm' was in the UK. Nothing to do with here. Unless you are attempting to blame everyone else by proxy. How about you go over there and give out to those responsible rather than keep on spouting absolute bull****e here.

Look we get it you dont like greyhound racing and reckon all dogs should be fur babies or whatever. But do stop trying to tar everyone with the same brush. It doesn't wash and makes those rabid type of comments look ridiculous at best.

Edit:
    Interestingly not the first time you brought this up here btw.

This Is the article you linked concerning the case in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/feb/16/ukcrime.animalwelfare

This is my reply then and the facts still stand.
    An incident dated from 2007 and which happened in another country under a different jurisdiction has what exactly to banning greyhound racing in Ireland now? Perhaps you should be campaigning in England where the RSPCA actually exists? ...

Btw It's dated before the introduction of micro chipping - there is no mention of 'Irish dogs' in that article 

Given that - how exactly could any Irish owner selling young greyhounds to the UK - know of that particular incident or goings on ? Or are you simply using such stuff to beat the same old? 

Two of the dogs photographed "being led to their deaths by David Smith" were Irish dogs Clash Nitro and Rent a Flyer. After being killed, "Smith was photographed just moments later pushing the greyhounds’ bodies in a wheelbarrow to bury them behind his house. Both dogs were less than three years old when they were killed." Before being exported to the UK, the two dogs had been raced at tracks in Youghal, Clonmel, Newbridge, Dublin, Thurles, Derry and Lifford.

• Advertisement

Two of the dogs photographed "being led to their deaths by David Smith" were Irish dogs Clash Nitro and Rent a Flyer. After being killed, "Smith was photographed just moments later pushing the greyhounds’ bodies in a wheelbarrow to bury them behind his house. Both dogs were less than three years old when they were killed." Before being exported to the UK, the two dogs had been raced at tracks in Youghal, Clonmel, Newbridge, Dublin, Thurles, Derry and Lifford.

Both of which lad been legally exported to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

So now two greyhounds not "many' as you claimed?

Again the article says nothing about Irish dogs. Where's your reputable source that those dogs are as you claimed? Who identified them? By what means? tattoo? Because that incident in the UK happened in 2007 before microchips were ever made mandatory.

Yes dogs from here go to the UK. There is also a huge pet industry which also sends dogs to the UK. As others have pointed out the exports of dogs to the UK remains legal. Bashing everyone here because of that is fuking stupid.

This us what your linked article says about that case:
    Mr Smith was questioned by police, but it was confirmed the bolt gun used to kill the retired greyhounds was held legitimately. After its own enquiries, the RSPCA concluded there was no indication animal cruelty laws had been broken because the dogs had been killed humanely.

Afaik the guy was found guilty of a charge regarding dumping under waste regulations.

So could you please stop digging up stuff like that in an attempt to Tar and feather everyone. There are cnuts everywhere. It does not follow that everyone is a cnut.

So does the defence of the pro-racing crowd boil down to "not everyone is at it?" Because I don't think anyone thinks that and it's not the argument as I'd see it. The issue is that there's a sizeable minority that are willing to do whatever it takes to maximise their profits and the body in charge of the sport seem to have no interest in protecting the animals from these abuses. IGB should be getting out ahead of this kind of thing and championing greyhound welfare, not crying about fairness and insisting everything is fine whenever an abuse is highlighted.

xckjoo wrote: »
    So does the defence of the pro-racing crowd boil down to "not everyone is at it?" Because I don't think anyone thinks that and it's not the argument as I'd see it. The issue is that there's a sizeable minority that are willing to do whatever it takes to maximise their profits and the body in charge of the sport seem to have no interest in protecting the animals from these abuses. IGB should be getting out ahead of this kind of thing and championing greyhound welfare, not crying about fairness and insisting everything is fine whenever an abuse is highlighted.

Profits? What profits?! It’s a hobby for most owners so profit doesn’t come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Profits? What profits?! It’s a hobby for most owners so profit doesn’t come into it.

What's the problem with pulling the funding then? Sure it won't impact anyone doing it as a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Spoke to someone at work who had been at greyhound racing last night. Some poor dog died on the tracks apparently. So sad. Poor wee thing. :(

I literally said in my post that it was a minority. Was that confusing in some way??
    Since you say yourself that most people do it as a hobby, the flip side of that is that for some people it's not a hobby. They're the crux of the issue. For them it's about profit and they don't give a damn about the dogs. I'm still assuming you're not one of those so I really don't understand your absolute insistence on defending them at every turn and insisting everything is fine. This isn't about you personally. You need to get over yourself and realise there's scumbags in the sport you love so well and the governing body are failing you in allowing them to continue

This is really key. I would believe the so called good owners if they were on the streets demanding change. The attitude & times unpleasantness of supporters here does nothing to further their cause.

Instead of condemning the cruelty they condemn the messengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I literally said in my post that it was a minority. Was that confusing in some way??
    Since you say yourself that most people do it as a hobby, the flip side of that is that for some people it's not a hobby. They're the crux of the issue. For them it's about profit and they don't give a damn about the dogs. I'm still assuming you're not one of those so I really don't understand your absolute insistence on defending them at every turn and insisting everything is fine. This isn't about you personally. You need to get over yourself and realise there's scumbags in the sport you love so well and the governing body are failing you in allowing them to continue

I can't believe it's taken people so long to realise what goes on in this industry. In th 60s the river Suir in Clonmel was where many greyhounds met a watery end. One would only have to walk along the Quay to see the bags of dogs at the bottom of the river. Burke's bacon factory used to let effluent into the river at the time. This led to a large Eel population. The local joke was that only for the bacon factory there would be more greyhounds in the river than Eels

• Advertisement

MIKEKC wrote: »
    I can't believe it's taken people so long to realise what goes on in this industry. In th 60s the river Suir in Clonmel was where many greyhounds met a watery end. One would only have to walk along the Quay to see the bags of dogs at the bottom of the river. Burke's bacon factory used to let effluent into the river at the time. This led to a large Eel population. The local joke was that only for the bacon factory there would be more greyhounds in the river than Eels

We’re almost in the 2020’s now. We’ve moved on a lot.

Advertisement