Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Thankfully, this has stopped. Airlines refuse to transport dogs of any breed.

Care to provide some evidence? Only one airline has banned Greyhounds & only to China. Still easy to fly them to, say Hong Kong, & then drive into China.

Anyone can arrange to transport a dog by air. Every day thousands do so for legitimate reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

We’re members of the EU and must trade under their rules, so me supporting a ban is neither here nor there.

There is nothing in the EU regulations. For example on Amazon some items are country specific.

Can you provide links?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

BAI rejects complaint by Irish Greyhound Board over RTÉ documentary

As expected, the "Running For Their Lives" documentary was found to be “fair, objective and impartial”.

Bloody delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Bloody delighted.

Yes, it is great news isn't it. Rte is not perfect but I have no issue in relation to paying my licence fee this year after this accurate production, which has now been endorsed thoroughly by the BAI. Granted I had to skip certain parts of the programme as I was too upset to watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Exactly, Mike. If someone on the telly or radio says something, shur it must be true.

Why would a person make this starement if it weren't true ? It wasn't a coursing bashing discussion . The man did say he wouldn't do it now. One would want to listen to the programme and make their own decision.To me it was a genuine statement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yes, it is great news isn't it. Rte is not perfect but I have no issue in relation to paying my licence fee this year after this accurate production, which has now been endorsed thoroughly by the BAI. Granted I had to skip certain parts of the programme as I was too upset to watch them.

I've never bought a TV Licence in my life as I dont believe in them, but I'm going to bite the bullet. Programs like this need to be made.

I haven't watched the program at all, but I know enough to know it's made a real difference.

There was a similar barstool story doing the rounds here last year that a local farmer used to break the legs of his ewes to stop them jumping and knocking walls.
    “A sledge” he used to use.
    Turns out his ewes used to have a bad case of footrot and the farmer was elderly and unable to keep up with his workload.
    A few runs through a foot bath and their broken legs were all of a sudden cured.
    This was not a barstool story. The tape would be in the radio station. As I said in a previous reply it wasn't a coursing bashing discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

anewme wrote: »
    I've never bought a TV Licence in my life as I dont believe in them, but I'm going to bite the bullet. Programs like this need to be made.

I haven't watched the program at all, but I know enough to know it's made a real difference.

Bizarre.

jackboy wrote: »
    Bizarre.

If you say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

If you say so.

Yes. Read your post again.

• Advertisement

Thankfully, this has stopped. Airlines refuse to transport dogs of any breed.

So it only stopped because the airlines refused to transport the dogs.

Amazing. Just amazing.

jackboy wrote: »
    Yes. Read your post again.

I don't have RTE or even a TV , but as I've a computer, I'm supposed to have a license. Never bothered till now, happy for programs like this to be made and circulated. I know from the online clips what are in it, I've seen the closing scene. That's all you need to see.

MIKEKC wrote: »

I think so. There’s something about trade laws meaning that it cannot be banned here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

MIKEKC wrote: »

Since of them only stopped when they were exposed by anti-animal cruelty campaigners. I'm sure some of the pro-cruelty people here had something to say about it at the time too :rolleyes:

I don't have RTE or even a TV , but as I've a computer, I'm supposed to have a license. Never bothered till now, happy for programs like this to be made and circulated. I know from the online clips what are in it, I've seen the closing scene. That's all you need to see.

Do you always rely on others to make informed opinions for you?

Amazing. Just amazing.

I would not be able to watch it start to finish. Tried a few times but copped out as it was too upsetting. Clips were hard enough to watch.

You can watch it here; factual and truthful as verified by ther BAI:

No one with agendas, eh?

No one with agendas, eh?

Only yourself.

• Advertisement

Do you always rely on others to make informed opinions for you?

Not sure what you mean here.

I make my own decisions on EVERYTHING.

I did not need the RTE program to tell me what was going on already. I was well aware. Good to see it brought to those who did not know though.

I know its available. I've been aware of what happens to Greyhounds in China, Spain etc for a long time and made up my own mind.

I was also surprised that it was always brushed under the carpet.

Delighted that the program showed others.

Only yourself.

Er, I wasn’t on that program!

I know its available. I've been aware of what happens to Greyhounds in China, Spain etc for a long time and made up my own mind.

I was also surprised that it was always brushed under the carpet.

Delighted that the program showed others.

It’s one of the great works of fiction.

Today's discovery of Irish dogs being shipped off to Spain in an injured, dehydrated condition really show how seriously the IGB take Greyhound welfare.

They've as much credibility as the FAI.

Today's discovery of Irish dogs being shipped off to Spain in an injured, dehydrated condition really show how seriously the IGB take Greyhound welfare.

They've as much credibility as the FAI.

It shows that, unfortunately there are still too many rogues in the game. It would be interesting to see who sold the old dog a s the two Unraced ones.

It shows that, unfortunately there are still too many rogues in the game. It would be interesting to see who sold the old dog a s the two Unraced ones.

Will they even try to get to the bottom of it?

Or just pretend to and hope it goes away.

Will they even try to get to the bottom of it?

I hope so. They have their paperwork, so it should soon be in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm horrified after seeing those pictures put up by the DSPCA, makes me claustrophobic just looking at it. The poor dogs, I'm so glad that they are in safe hands and hope they all find welcoming and loving homes in good time.

I wish we had proper consequences for animal cruelty in this country. Instead, we see instances like this where it's enabled by government funding.

• Advertisement

Further strong words from DSPCA on the topic of the 12 Greyhounds.

"Earlier this week you may have seen the post about the 12 Greyhounds seized at Dublin Port pictured below before being unloaded in the DSPCA.

They are doing well in our care and the investigation continues.

We would ask that if you or anyone you know is considering or has planned Christmas/New Years or a Corporate Event at a Greyhound Track to please reconsider."

Advertisement