Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Wonder which areas they'll include. Milford/Kilmacrennan/Letterkenny have majority covered by FTTH already and not in the intervention area. So will they include surrounding areas, e.g. Cranford in Milford survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

TheSegal wrote: »
    KN are passing lengths of yellow cable under the road on the Monivea Road just past Cranmore crossroad in Galway. Starting just where the Eir fiber network stops. Temporary traffic lights blocking one lane for about 600 meters.

To the more knowledgeable posters, is the yellow cable just the fiber backbone that everything else will be spliced from? Or is it like the black cable overhead that still needs a fiber cable blown through it?

Back again today on the Monivea road, pulling the yellow cable through from one manhole to another, and now passing a white cable with a bluish tint through the ducting under the road. Two NBI vans with them, over a kilometer done since yesterday at lunch time. Some bobcats with them digging up ditches to get to manhole covers for the ducting. Looks like the other poster was right about the yellow cabling, looks like it was just used to check if the duct was clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That doesn't sound at all.workabke to be honest. Most hoses existing eir connection for example comes in via the attic, and more than 1m inside the house.

There is no practical way for example that could work in my house, my existing eir like comes in via gable end overhead into attic and down to the hallway. It's a bungalow, easy route, but not a hope of terminating a router by bringing a cable below attic level.and just 1m inside the house

It would come to the gable, then around soffit down externally to point and into the hall or living room via the wall.

Its how most installers work. EIR, Virgin. They wont be following old attic installs. why would they, the cost doesnt allow. if you wanted to go a different way then the expense is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kilo Juliett Delta

I have an ESB pole just outside my boundary wall and I have an eircom pole across the road, a few years ago I put in a new duct from the house to the boundary wall in anticipation of fibre coming at some stage. I want to avoid a road crossing if possible so I am wondering if ESB and NBI have agreements in place to allow the use of the ESB pole adjacent my boundary wall rather than having to cross the road with the duct to the eircom pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have an ESB pole just outside my boundary wall and I have an eircom pole across the road, a few years ago I put in a new duct from the house to the boundary wall in anticipation of fibre coming at some stage. I want to avoid a road crossing if possible so I am wondering if ESB and NBI have agreements in place to allow the use of the ESB pole adjacent my boundary wall rather than having to cross the road with the duct to the eircom pole.

I don't believe you are allowed mix ESB and network telecommunications poles together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

listermint wrote: »
    I don't believe you are allowed mix ESB and network telecommunications poles together

Well it obviously can be done when you think about SIRO and the chatter about utilising ESB poles as part of the NBP. Thing is though, no NBI fibre engineers will be allowed go near an ESB pole and it would only be ESB crews allowed (and rightly so).

So I think it'll either be a duct across the road or an overhead line to the house. Now, what the rules are in regard overhead ESB and fibre lines crossing over each other, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Wasn't there rumblings of NBI working with ESB to fast track rollout. Seems to have gone quiet since tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I'd be quite willing to bet last mile connections will be one or the other and not some messy hybrid. I would think NBI will only look at ESB ducts/poles where there's a strong business case for doing so.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The communications regulator has confirmed plans to cut the wholesale rate that Eir receives from other telcos for using its network to deliver services such as high-speed broadband to consumers.

ComReg said it intends to amend the weighted average cost of capital (WACC) rate, which essentially compensates the incumbent for its investment in fixed-line infrastructure, from 8.18 per cent to 5.61 per cent. The regulator is also reducing the rate for mobile communications to 5.85 per cent from 8.63 per cent, and for broadcasting from 8.11 per cent to 5.98 per cent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/comreg-confirms-plan-to-cut-rates-that-eir-can-charge-rivals-1.4381099

• Advertisement

KOR101 wrote: »
    The communications regulator has confirmed plans to cut the wholesale rate that Eir receives from other telcos for using its network to deliver services such as high-speed broadband to consumers.

ComReg said it intends to amend the weighted average cost of capital (WACC) rate, which essentially compensates the incumbent for its investment in fixed-line infrastructure, from 8.18 per cent to 5.61 per cent. The regulator is also reducing the rate for mobile communications to 5.85 per cent from 8.63 per cent, and for broadcasting from 8.11 per cent to 5.98 per cent.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/comreg-confirms-plan-to-cut-rates-that-eir-can-charge-rivals-1.4381099

Absolutely delighted, Eir get no sympathy from me after the god awful customer service I got from them when I was a customer. Hopefully it leads to some reductions to cost for people on Eir infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

They were told to do so .. (by the European Commission) .. years ago.

It's just been pushed on the long finger.

Actually, they were told to change the entire way, they calculate the wholesale rate. That part has still not been done.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    They were told to do so .. (by the European Commission) .. years ago.

It's just been pushed on the long finger.

/M

Overall Comreg seem to be very hesitant to push any changes on Eir. Is it the same with other providers or do they just have a soft spot for Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

TheSegal wrote: »
    Overall Comreg seem to be very hesitant to push any changes on Eir. Is it the same with other providers or do they just have a soft spot for Eir?

This is not Eir. This is OpenEir.

Eir is the retail arm.
    OpenEir is the wholesale arm.

The umbrella company, that both go under is also referred to as Eir. But when it comes to wholesale, it's ALWAYS OpenEIR, that should be referred to.

And there are no other providers, that have regulated pricing. OpenEIR is regulated because they are the former incumbent, hence are obligated by the USO and have the largest network in Ireland.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I was under the impression that NBI would bring fibre into the home. Reading here, it seems that it's the ISP that will bring it in.

Can someone clarify please?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I was under the impression that NBI would bring fibre into the home. Reading here, it seems that it's the ISP that will bring it in.

NBI are the openEir in all of this. Then you will purchase your ftth as normal through Airwire, Eir, Vodafone etc.

Thats my understanding anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes they are a wholesaler, they build the network, do not deliver actual broadband

Yes they are a wholesaler, they build the network, do not deliver actual broadband

Yes, I know they're the wholesaler but I'm referring to the actual fibre cable.

Who brings the fibre cable and ONT into the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBI's contractor will run the fibre from the pole to the ONT, the ONT is NBI's network demarcation point.

The Cush wrote: »
    NBI's contractor will run the fibre from the pole to the ONT, the ONT is NBI's network demarcation point.

Is this only done after you place an order with an ISP?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is this only done after you place an order with an ISP?

Yes. It would be a bit odd installing an ONT in a premises that didn't want it.

NBAiii wrote: »
    As part of the surveys NBI are undertaking they try to assign each premises a connection type i.e. overhead or underground. When you come to place an order your ISP will have this assigned connection type information and should inform you. If you are not happy you can request a new survey, which you will pay for yourself, to assess a different route.

Will it be possible to see the results of the survey of your home other than contacting an ISP?

Will it be possible to see the results of the survey of your home other than contacting an ISP?

As no NBI FTTH connection has yet been installed, it's not entirely clear. It's quite likely NBI will follow the OpenEir model of the ISP being the point of contact for the consumer and any issues would be dealt with via the ISP. It's a model that's not without faults, but it is probably the most efficient way of doing it. So far they are just providing estimated survey/connection availability dates (or pending survey) and nothing beyond that, which is fair enough. Pop your eircode in on the NBI website to find the status for your premises.

The ISP will be ordering the connection for you from NBI, so the consumer will have no contract/dealings per se with NBI, apart from the obvious haggling that can happen when they (NBI) are installing the fiber. Think in terms of NBI=ESB Networks and Eir/Vodafone/etc=Bord Gais/Electric Ireland/etc.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

You could try asking through email though as westyIrl says it is likely they are not going to deal with the public in such ways. This also assumes that your premises has been surveyed and that the information is available to whatever NBI representative you reach which may not be the case.

Some good news on the connection front.

NBI seem to be targeting early December for a test launch of their ordering system. As part of this eligible ISPs will get 20 free connections to use as test orders for customers. There will be no connection charge or wholesale charge to the ISP during this test period (until commercial launch). It is hope that ISP will pick suitable premises for this trial and pass on cost reductions to the customers so it will not be free for the end-user but should be at a reduced price. Prices go back to normal when the network launches commercially. If you are seeing work happening in your area currently you may be able to avail of this, so likely parts of Cavan, Carrigaline and perhaps Galway.

When the network launches commercially NBI have committed to give free connections i.e. waiving the €100 fee for pre-orders until December 31st 2021. Pre-orders can be made from ~90 days prior to the Ready For Service (RFS) date until 14 days prior to RFS. ISPs must not charge a connection fee under this system.

NBI have also committed to offer free connections for all orders placed from the commercial launch date until June 30 2021. Again ISPs must not charge any connection fee under this system.

It will be very interesting to see if the ISPs will somehow differentiate their plans on the NBI network or whether it will just be a matter of pushing out their current offerings. Thanks for the info NBAii.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBI seem to be targeting early December for a test launch of their ordering system. As part of this eligible ISPs will get 20 free connections to use as test orders for customers. There will be no connection charge or wholesale charge to the ISP during this test period (until commercial launch). It is hope that ISP will pick suitable premises for this trial and pass on cost reductions to the customers so it will not be free for the end-user but should be at a reduced price. Prices go back to normal when the network launches commercially. If you are seeing work happening in your area currently you may be able to avail of this, so likely parts of Cavan, Carrigaline and perhaps Galway.

When the network launches commercially NBI have committed to give free connections i.e. waiving the €100 fee for pre-orders until December 31st 2021. Pre-orders can be made from ~90 days prior to the Ready For Service (RFS) date until 14 days prior to RFS. ISPs must not charge a connection fee under this system.

NBI have also committed to offer free connections for all orders placed from the commercial launch date until June 30 2021. Again ISPs must not charge any connection fee under this system.

The SBP published an article on this back in May - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113402907

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭baz9375

Some good news on the connection front.

Thanks for this update NBAiii. Do you think that the ISPs/NBI will select and contact the premises/Eircodes themselves or do you think they'll offer a "register your interest" system for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Anyone know what the deal is with the surveying? They’ve started in Donegal, but many of the areas they’ve mentioned are covered by FTTH already.

I have FTTH here but yesterday there was a sign at the bottom of the lane saying NBI Surveying in progress. Way on down the road there is the same sign. Between these two points are all covered by FTTH also.

I might be missing something but I expected areas being surveyed to be those within the intervention area.

• Advertisement

baz9375 wrote: »
    Thanks for this update NBAiii. Do you think that the ISPs/NBI will select and contact the premises/Eircodes themselves or do you think they'll offer a "register your interest" system for this?

I'm not sure to be honest. NBI will inform the ISPs about 30 days in advance of the test period starting with a list of eligible premises. It is then up to the ISP to choose the premises and get back to NBI with the chosen ones. I don't know how or even if all ISPs will participate in the trial.

Advertisement