Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

chris_ie wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal is with the surveying? They’ve started in Donegal, but many of the areas they’ve mentioned are covered by FTTH already.

I have FTTH here but yesterday there was a sign at the bottom of the lane saying NBI Surveying in progress. Way on down the road there is the same sign. Between these two points are all covered by FTTH also.

I might be missing something but I expected areas being surveyed to be those within the intervention area.

I assume you're near Letterkenny. The first batches of OLTs are located in towns. The route has to be planned out from the towns to the intervention areas. This involves eir or enet ducts and eir poles. They all have to be documented and checked. There also may be premises that eir skipped with their rollout that must be included by NBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBAiii wrote: »
    NBI seem to be targeting early December for a test launch of their ordering system. As part of this eligible ISPs will get 20 free connections to use as test orders for customers. There will be no connection charge or wholesale charge to the ISP during this test period (until commercial launch). It is hope that ISP will pick suitable premises for this trial and pass on cost reductions to the customers so it will not be free for the end-user but should be at a reduced price. Prices go back to normal when the network launches commercially. If you are seeing work happening in your area currently you may be able to avail of this, so likely parts of Cavan, Carrigaline and perhaps Galway.

When the network launches commercially NBI have committed to give free connections i.e. waiving the €100 fee for pre-orders until December 31st 2021. Pre-orders can be made from ~90 days prior to the Ready For Service (RFS) date until 14 days prior to RFS. ISPs must not charge a connection fee under this system.

NBI have also committed to offer free connections for all orders placed from the commercial launch date until June 30 2021. Again ISPs must not charge any connection fee under this system.

All the details here in the NBI Published Promotions document - https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NBI-Published-Promotions-v1.4.pdf

Interesting NBI low-level Surveys document here - https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Survey_Process_v1.0.pdf

This relates to premises surveys once the pre-order window opens and not the current network design phase.
    A survey may be required for the following scenarios:

1. Where the NBI survey team could not complete a survey during the network design phase (e.g. long driveway, restricted view, etc.).
    2. A complex build where the cost for delivering service on the End User’s premises may exceed the threshold.

The outcome of these surveys will result in a Standard installation type or a Premium installation, where a financial contribution (above the Standard Connection charge) is required from the End User.

Where an additional financial contribution (above the Standard Connection charge) is required, the Service Provider will be required to select Premium connection type when placing an order.

What is the threshold that will require an additional financial contribution? Do I remember €5,000 being mentioned?

A few posts back, this
    I have an ESB pole just outside my boundary wall and I have an eircom pole across the road, a few years ago I put in a new duct from the house to the boundary wall in anticipation of fibre coming at some stage. I want to avoid a road crossing if possible so I am wondering if ESB and NBI have agreements in place to allow the use of the ESB pole adjacent my boundary wall rather than having to cross the road with the duct to the eircom pole.

Where the customer requests a different connection type to the one determined during the initial network design phase there may be an additional charge
    A survey may be requested in the following scenario (End User requested):

1. The End User requests a different connection type to the Standard connection type as determined during the survey phase (e.g. overhead span or underground)

Where the End User requests a different connection type, there will be a charge for the difference between the Standard connection type and the End User connection type. In this scenario, the contribution amount will be made available in the Eligibility check.

The Service Provider will have to agree and approve the End User additional financial contribution with the End User before placing an order.

Who brings the fibre cable and ONT into the house?
    The Cush wrote: »
    NBI's contractor will run the fibre from the pole to the ONT, the ONT is NBI's network demarcation point.

Just adding to this, NBI will have a separate company handle connections to premises, NBI ConnectCo.

Guessing here that NBI ConnectCo is registered as a separate company with the CRO - NBI Deployment DAC (631657).
    The company rolling out the network is NBI Infrastructure DAC (631656).
    NBI ConnectCo

When an order is with NBI ConnectCo management, the following process applies:

1) NBI ConnectCo will call the End User in advance of the appointment to confirm if can go ahead as scheduled. At this point, if required, the End User can reschedule or request to cancel the order.
    2) NBI ConnectCo texts the End User the day before scheduled appointment (no response needed from the End User)
    3) Engineer calls the End User in advance, at that point the End User can reschedule or request to cancel if required.
    4) When NBI have ownership of the appointment, it is locked for change by the Service Provider, however, the order may still be cancelled if required but a late cancellation charge may apply.
    5) NBI ConnectCo may contact the End User prior to change of ownership to arrange or change an appointment – particularly in case of when civils work is required.

NBI ConnectCo will also carry out the pre-order surveys as mentioned in the previous post.
    NBI surveys every premises in the IA, however, it is not always possible to conduct a survey, therefore in some instances the premises will need to have a survey carried out by NBI ConnectCo.

Just a small change I noticed recently, the number of premises in the IA has gone from 537,595 to 544,000.

The NBI website mentions "new premises to be built"

Mixing their numbers here
    Up to 544,000 premises have been identified by DECC (Department of Enviroment, Climate and Communications) as not being served with adequate broadband services, and these comprise the National Broadband roll-out area.
    By the end of our deployment plan, NBI’s network will be available to approximately 537,000 premises, meaning 100% of the country will have access to high-speed broadband – with no-one being left behind.

https://nbi.ie/rollout-plan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭clohamon

SBP's Peter O'Dwyer reporting that NBI won't be penalised for the likely lateness of the (BCP ?) roll-out.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/no-penalties-for-delay-in-rollout-of-national-broadband-plan-29cad5c1
    National Broadband Ireland (NBI) will not face any penalties for failing to meet the first major deadline in its provision of high-speed broadband under the state’s multibillion scheme.
    The contract to deliver the €3 billion National Broadband Plan (NBP) was awarded to NBI, which is led by businessman David McCourt, late last year. The scheme aims to deliver high-speed broadband to 540,000 premises across the country within seven years.
    As an interim measure, 300...

He seems to be referring to the BCPs. Maybe someone has the full story.

Presumably NBI have submitted a 'force majeure' notification - not hard to guess what - which DECC will be only too happy to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

clohamon wrote: »
    SBP's Peter O'Dwyer reporting that NBI won't be penalised for the likely lateness of the (BCP ?) roll-out.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/no-penalties-for-delay-in-rollout-of-national-broadband-plan-29cad5c1

He seems to be referring to the BCPs. Maybe someone has the full story.

Presumably NBI have submitted a 'force majeure' notification - not hard to guess what - which DECC will be only too happy to share.

I can't see too many people being up in arms over a BCP rollout delay. I'd assume thats what the article is referring to as the BCP's were front loaded in the whole plan. Hopefully similar delays don't happen to the fiber rollout and if it does that it is minimal. The current situation is pretty much the definition of a force majeure circumstance.

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    I can't see too many people being up in arms over a BCP rollout delay. I'd assume thats what the article is referring to as the BCP's were front loaded in the whole plan. Hopefully similar delays don't happen to the fiber rollout and if it does that it is minimal. The current situation is pretty much the definition of a force majeure circumstance.

Jim

The BCP's are hard to understand unless perhaps you're a politician - lots of local ribbon-cutting photo ops. I guess Michael Ring (the proposer it seems) never figured on a pandemic. In fairness none of us did.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

The BCP's are hard to understand unless perhaps you're a politician - lots of local ribbon-cutting photo ops. I guess Michael Ring (the proposer it seems) never figured on a pandemic. In fairness none of us did.

I had to come back to my parents house to help around the place and the internet can be a bit dodgy sometimes for WFH so the local BCP will get me out of a corner if the internet goes.

Tested today 100mbs up and down

Not a pretty solution but I'm glad to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

"To date, 14 per cent of the UK has access to full-fibre broadband. Gigabit coverage extends to 27 per cent when you count other similarly-capable technologies, like 5G. Overall, this penetration ranks among the lowest in Europe."

From The Register, reporting on a House of Commons report on Fibre BB progress.

and we think we have problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BarryM wrote: »
    "To date, 14 per cent of the UK has access to full-fibre broadband. Gigabit coverage extends to 27 per cent when you count other similarly-capable technologies, like 5G. Overall, this penetration ranks among the lowest in Europe."

Oh theyve bigger problems coming next year. And the Torys are trying to sell a plan to deregulate and create homegrown tech juggernauts...

Christ on a bike cart before the horse stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭rodge123

And that’s with a far more condensed population with far fewer one off houses and ribbon development all over the countryside as a percentage of overall population

It's a pretty grim read. And the self deception continues.
    The Department originally defined superfast as broadband speeds of at least 24 Mbps but contracts let under the programme since 2016 have used Ofcom’s definition of 30 Mbps. When measuring progress against coverage targets, the Department continues to use its initial definition.

https://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Improving-broadband.pdf

Their EU comparison chart uses EU data from June 2019.

529787.png

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Gigabit coverage extends to 27 per cent when you count other similarly-capable technologies, like 5G.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Delighted that Malta and Luxoland are doing so well, (upside down) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I'm quiet surprised about Austria that we should be ahead of them, what is the story with them? They are a similar size to Ireland and we are often compared with Austria by Duncan Stewart etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

theguzman wrote:
    I'm quiet surprised about Austria that we should be ahead of them, what is the story with them? They are a similar size to Ireland and we are often compared with Austria by Duncan Stewart etc.

surprised seeing as they dont have ribbon development like ireland everything is in clusters so should be easy to serve with fiber but they do have alot of mountains ect

fergus1001 wrote: »
    surprised seeing as they dont have ribbon development like ireland everything is in clusters so should be easy to serve with fiber but they do have alot of mountains ect

They have ploughed billions into Railways especially alpine tunnels and Green Energy with projects like district heating etc getting big investment. We have a far higher GDP per Capita rate than Austria, something tells me that the chart is wrong and Austria is probably in a better position than Ireland, probably loads of VDSL and Cable connections putting them in a far better position than us where most of rural Ireland have practically nothing to work with.

theguzman wrote: »
    They have ploughed billions into Railways especially alpine tunnels and Green Energy with projects like district heating etc getting big investment. We have a far higher GDP per Capita rate than Austria, something tells me that the chart is wrong and Austria is probably in a better position than Ireland, probably loads of VDSL and Cable connections putting them in a far better position than us where most of rural Ireland have practically nothing to work with.

Broadband looks like a bit of a mess. A National scheme from 2015 and various
    regional schemes over the last four years. Different funding mechanisms, intervention vehicles, intervention points, technologies etc. Still early days for some of them, but less money than here.

National
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/259470/259470_1726891_122_2.pdf
    Styria
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/276137/276137_2031218_64_2.pdf
    Lower Austria
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/266666/266666_1897351_143_2.pdf
    Carinthia
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases1/201943/281291_2104080_110_2.pdf
    Upper Austria
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/275100/275100_2008891_90_2.pdf

Broadband looks like a bit of a mess. A National scheme from 2015 and various
    regional schemes over the last four years. Different funding mechanisms, intervention vehicles, intervention points, technologies etc. Still early days for some of them, but less money than here.

National
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/259470/259470_1726891_122_2.pdf
    Styria
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/276137/276137_2031218_64_2.pdf
    Lower Austria
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/266666/266666_1897351_143_2.pdf
    Carinthia
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases1/201943/281291_2104080_110_2.pdf
    Upper Austria
    https://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/cases/275100/275100_2008891_90_2.pdf

Is the incumbent (Austria's verson of EIR) state owned or privatised?

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    Is the incumbent (Austria's verson of EIR) state owned or privatised?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A1_Telekom_Austria_Group

The schemes are partially middle mile or passive and may retain state ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Just got this email, just outside Carrigaline in Cork.
    Hello there,

Thank you for signing up for updates with National Broadband Ireland (NBI). We are pleased to confirm that the premises associated with Eircode <snip> is in the National Broadband Plan Intervention Area* (IA). This means that once your premise is ready for connection, you will have access to the NBI™ network, Ireland's new high-speed fibre broadband network.

We are actively working in your area building the NBI™ network to bring high-speed fibre broadband to your door. We anticipate that your premise will be available for connection to the NBI™ network within the date range below*:

December 2020 - February 2021^

The NBI™ network is a Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH) network, a highly reliable technology using fibre-optic cables capable of delivering speeds up to 10Gb. The NBI™ network will be providing initial speeds of up to 1Gb for business and residential users, with a minimum speed of 500Mb. Our network will be ready to grow alongside your data needs.

As a Wholesale Open Access Provider, NBI does not sell broadband directly to homes or businesses. Instead, we supply and partner with trusted broadband providers to deliver the NBI™ network services to your door. These broadband providers will be listed on our website as soon as they are ready to get you connected.

We'll be in touch again once your area is ready for connection.

Kind regards,
    The NBI team

*The IA is a mapped area – compiled and owned by the Department of Communications, Climate Action and Environment (DCCAE) - where there are currently no plans for commercial development of high-speed broadband.

^ Date range above is indicative and is subject to change. This may be due to unforeseen circumstances, or those outside of NBI’s control.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

mp3guy wrote: »
    Just got this email

What county?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

scunermac wrote: »
    What county?

Updated post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Minimum 500mb :eek: I'm in the Carrigaline intervention zone too. My 10mb Three mobile broadband will do while I wait :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Their EU comparison chart uses EU data from June 2019.

Interestingly the chart next to it shows Ireland coming 6th in Europe with Superfast (30mb/s) Broadband at 96% coverage!

I'd also assume that the graph for Gigabit coverage will jump to 70% or more for this year, given that Virgin Media have now turned on their one gig service.

So not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just got an email saying they are surveying in my area despite being told that I would be able to get around Jan 2021 - its been pushed out to May 21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Same mail for me, based outside Tralee in Kerry, strangely the survey was completed about 10 weeks ago.
    Surveying is now underway in your area, which means a detailed network design is being produced in order to bring the NBI™ network to your premise. We anticipate that your premise will be available for connection within the date range below*:

August 2021 - October 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Last correspondence:
    Hi Eoin,
    Thanks for coming back to me with your Eircode.
    Using the Eircode I can confirm that you are in the Intervention Area and will be provided with access to fibre-to-the-home broadband. It is anticipated that access to high speed broadband will be available in your area between January and March 2021. To stay up to date on the progress you can register for updates at https://nbi.ie/eoi/
    Thanks,
    John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Same mail for me, based outside Tralee in Kerry, strangely the survey was completed about 10 weeks ago.

And the same for me. Based in west Wicklow....

Surveying is now underway in your area, which means a detailed network design is being produced in order to bring the NBI™ network to your premise. We anticipate that your premise will be available for connection within the date range below*:

September 2021 - November 2021

Advertisement