Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

rounders wrote: »

Thanks. I wonder are they using their existing mobile network to supply these points or a separate bespoke network/frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

Gunner3629 wrote: »
    Thanks. I wonder are they using their existing mobile network to supply these points or a separate bespoke network/frequency.

They have nothing to do with Vodafone's mobile network. Vodafone were awarded the contract to run the sites but the connections to the sites are dedicated point to point wireless built by enet. I think most, if not all, sites are 150 Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Put in my address and it just says not in intervention as other providers operate here , can still only get about 20 mb from vodafone where as my parents 10 mins down the road have over 100 mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

I spotted NBI doing surveying at Gortsucknagh near Gort, Co. Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I entered my eircode in nbi.ie, in the past it used to be Dec. 2020. to Feb 2021, now pushed back to January 2021 - March 2021, it is only one month but not a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I wouldn't pay much attention to anything the guys doing the survey's said or the website. It's pure pot luck. Same guts doing the survey also do work for our company and they joke about being asked countless times a day by locals about when they might get fibre, oh you will have it in about 6 months... The site says late 2021. Just a waiting game so don't go planning any home security WiFi cam upgrades etc based in anything NBI says. It's another farce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

thats nothing new to most people here

the guys surveying likely havent a clue when build stage progresses, their info is passed to a diff dept within the org

its the same as asking kn guys blowing fibre duct as to when you will have fibre, they havent a clue and anything they tell you is taken with large pinch of salt

the website dates are a diff matter, these dates must be there for a reason and have been planned accordingly, might not all come over the line per estimates but id hold more faith than the estimates from surveyers

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Yup and keep in mind this was the same before covid. They are working away in fairness but don't for a minute believe the stated roll out dates

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Id say NBI are very careful of what they put up on their website. We will see once we get to the first batch of rollouts Dec 20 - Feb 21 rollouts.

If they start missing targets as advertised (which is essentially what their website is for) then that will lead to a barrage of bad press and missed targets news stories.

Its more likely we will see dates get pushed back on the website as mentioned by Ultimanemo if they cant meet the targeted date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

BArra wrote: »

the guys surveying likely havent a clue when build stage progresses, their info is passed to a diff dept within the org

Funnily enough when I spoke to the surveyor last June, and asked him would I get fibre by next Easter (as Peter Hendricks had claimed on Shannonside Radio a few weeks previously) he said not likely and it would be over a year at least. My date estimate of Aug-Oct '21 matches his guesstimate pretty well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭baz9375

Pique wrote: »
    Funnily enough when I spoke to the surveyor last June, and asked him would I get fibre by next Easter (as Peter Hendricks had claimed on Shannonside Radio a few weeks previously) he said not likely and it would be over a year at least. My date estimate of Aug-Oct '21 matches his guesstimate pretty well.

Similar story with me. Our area was surveyed in March this year and go live date on the NBI website is now showing as Feb - April 2021. Twelve months from survey to go live seems to be the trend.

I'm in Cloverhill, Co.Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'll be very surprised if anybody is installed with NBI before Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Put in my address and it just says not in intervention as other providers operate here , can still only get about 20 mb from vodafone where as my parents 10 mins down the road have over 100 mb :(

I'm in the same position and I've had zero luck getting added. There's an email address for the DCCAE to request to be added to it but I've never gotten a response.

That's my thread on it.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058118180

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah I pm'ed NBI on twitter and they told me to get in touch via that email address aswell don't forsee any joy there though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Interesting piece of news for Galway

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-homes-among-first-households-in-line-to-receive-high-speed-fibre-broadband-within-the-next-10-weeks/
    Homes in Galway will be among the first tranche of 7,900 households in line to receive high speed fibre broadband within the next 10 weeks, according to Communications Minister Eamon Ryan.

Under the National Broadband Plan, the first homes reached under the plan will be in Galway, Cork and Cavan.

Department of Communications officials say that at least some of the 7,900 rural homes passed will be able to buy NBP-based fibre broadband packages from existing retailers before the end of 2020.

For more on this story, tune into the Galway Bay fm news…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

joe123 wrote: »
    at least some.....
    There's no reason they can't achieve that, and they really should do some this year, at least for appearances.

It will be exciting once the connections start happening.

More here.....

“We’re not expecting any delay,” Mr Ryan told Independent.ie today.

Asked about discussions with National Broadband Ireland to speed up the seven-year, €2.1bn rollout schedule, Mr Ryan said he was hopeful.

“Those discussions are going well because we’re all on the same page,” he said.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/were-not-expecting-any-delay-almost-8000-national-broadband-plan-rural-homes-to-get-connected-in-coming-weeks-39602248.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I went to a broadband connection point for the laugh last night most speed tests are blocked but got one to work

15 down 55 up

and dont be trying to download torrents either they have it locked down

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

KOR101 wrote: »
    More here.....

“We’re not expecting any delay,” Mr Ryan told Independent.ie today.

Asked about discussions with National Broadband Ireland to speed up the seven-year, €2.1bn rollout schedule, Mr Ryan said he was hopeful.

“Those discussions are going well because we’re all on the same page,” he said.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/were-not-expecting-any-delay-almost-8000-national-broadband-plan-rural-homes-to-get-connected-in-coming-weeks-39602248.html

That man just doesn't inspire any confidence though

Mr McCourt, an Irish-American telecoms entrepreneur, said on Friday that a contractor working on the project had contracted the disease, which had had a knock-on impact on colleagues. “[It is] not a statistical big deal for a project with 1,200 people. However, everyone that person came in contact with has to now quarantine for two weeks. If that repeats itself it makes things difficult.”

“I think we’ll see the first areas get built ahead of time. We’ll definitely make our numbers this year, and I think we’ll see the communities come on faster than expected, and that pace will continue to pick up,” Mr McCourt said on Friday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/broadband-plan-can-be-delivered-within-five-years-unless-covid-wreaks-havoc-1.4376936

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

I'd love if some decent interviewer would ask Ryan how he can reconcile being the Minister for Communications, with responsibility for overseeing the rapid implementation of the NBP, with the fact that he was so diametrically opposed to it while in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Pique wrote:
    I'd love if some decent interviewer would ask Ryan how he can reconcile being the Minister for Communications, with responsibility for overseeing the rapid implementation of the NBP, with the fact that he was so diametrically opposed to it while in opposition.

ryan is a contradiction of a man, we would all have communal cars and the country would run on pixie dust if he was fully in power

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

fergus1001 wrote: »
    ryan is a contradiction of a man, we would all have communal cars and the country would run on pixie dust if he was fully in power

I'm so grateful the contract agreement was done and dusted prior to him taking up this brief. I much prefer him commenting on and taking back pats for the NBP rather than having any actual input or significant decisions to make in regard to it. I'm sure he'd see 4G as plenty for the ruralites. I'm pretty agnostic politically but Richard Bruton inspired much more confidence as minister. Nice to see the positive signals coming as regards roll-out progress.
    “Today, our teams are working across 23 counties and we’ve surveyed over 98,000 premises, which involves physically walking the routes where fibre will be laid,” he said.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

I see some of you lucky buggers now have dates on the NBI site, most of us still on pending just waiting for the status to change. Fingers crossed for the next round of updates in a few months time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I had the workers down my little boreen outside Oranmore in Galway during the week. On the NBI site I'm down for the January 2021 - March 2021. I can't wait to get rid of Imagine broadband. For a family of 6 it is just not cutting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

I had the workers down my little boreen outside Oranmore in Galway during the week. On the NBI site I'm down for the January 2021 - March 2021. I can't wait to get rid of Imagine broadband. For a family of 6 it is just not cutting it.

Genuinely delighted for you - it must be hard going with so many in the house dealing with the Mafia, I mean Imagine internet connection.

Orebro wrote: »
    Genuinely delighted for you - it must be hard going with so many in the house dealing with the Mafia, I mean Imagine internet connection.

It's fine during the day, but as I'm sure you're aware as soon as the evening time comes it practically becomes unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

What exactly were the workers doing? Have you noticed many crews working in the general area? Have any poles been replaced, any trees cut, any duct work (guys digging at the side of the road) done yet?

NBAiii wrote: »
    What exactly were the workers doing? Have you noticed many crews working in the general area? Have any poles been replaced, any trees cut, any duct work (guys digging at the side of the road) done yet?

They were digging up the road and and doing duct work. My road is a dead end with just 5 dwellings at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Has there been any details yet on the internal install eg the requirements for ducting, where will the ONT be etc etc I am presuming that it is going to be very similar to the Eir install procedure.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Advertisement