Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Has there been any details yet on the internal install eg the requirements for ducting, where will the ONT be etc etc I am presuming that it is going to be very similar to the Eir install procedure.

Curious to know about this too. Our Eir duct is on an external wall but the master socket is on an interior wall. Are they planning on bringing the ONT to the same location as the master socket? No chance they could use the old phone line as a pull cord to bring the fiber to the existing master socket location ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Has there been any details yet on the internal install eg the requirements for ducting, where will the ONT be etc etc I am presuming that it is going to be very similar to the Eir install procedure.

I don't think there's been any info yet. Hoping they'll be willing to install in the attic, would make things much easier in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

My guess is they will be like Sky, the shortest and easiest route they can find. I am going to put a rope pull through in my old line in, hoping if it is all set up for them they might use it .
    We had a surveyor about 5/6 weeks ago but the survey in progress only went up on the website last week. Estimated connection Aug/Oct 21. To be honest I got a little excited :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I'm building a house so I'm just going with the Eir ducting and install guide https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf

I don't think you will go far wrong with that but I would like to see a few more details considering that first connections are due to be in only a few weeks time eg Dec 20

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭dam099

No chance they could use the old phone line as a pull cord to bring the fiber to the existing master socket location ;)

I assume that was a bit tongue in cheek but I doubt it, Eir wont even do that and they own the copper line, can't see NBI being allowed touch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

KN are passing lengths of yellow cable under the road on the Monivea Road just past Cranmore crossroad in Galway. Starting just where the Eir fiber network stops. Temporary traffic lights blocking one lane for about 600 meters.

To the more knowledgeable posters, is the yellow cable just the fiber backbone that everything else will be spliced from? Or is it like the black cable overhead that still needs a fiber cable blown through it?

dam099 wrote: »
    I assume that was a bit tongue in cheek but I doubt it, Eir wont even do that and they own the copper line, can't see NBI being allowed touch it.

Indeed it was. Guess I'll have to bring some Cat 6 from beside the master socket to the duct area myself. FFS.
    How have Eir been installing ONTs in their rollout? Do they just drill through the wall where the duct comes out of the ground, regardless of what's on the internal side of the wall room-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

No chance they could use the old phone line as a pull cord to bring the fiber to the existing master socket location ;)

Do you currently use the phone line? if not you can do this yourself with a piece of rope (using the phone line to pull the rope through the duct). If you do use the line you can still do it but use a piece of rope and a new phone cable (the old cable pulls the new cable and rope through the duct). Just reconnect the new phone cable after.

user1842 wrote: »
    Do you currently use the phone line? if not you can do this yourself with a piece of rope (using the phone line to pull the rope through the duct). If you do use the line you can still do it but use a piece of rope and a new phone cable (the old cable pulls the new cable and rope through the duct). Just reconnect the new phone cable after.

Don't use the line. I was planning to do exactly as you suggested. But ideally I want the fibre coming all the way to the master socket location and not sure if I can use the old phone line for that. The reason I want to do this is I have the old phone master socket sitting on top a patch panel and 24 port switch (Every room in the house has RJ45 ports) in an internal closet.I'd like the ONT to be in that space as well. Just wondering if there's any prep work I can do.
    The alternative is have the ONT in the utility (the eir box is on the outside wall there), then run a CAT6 cable back out through the wall and have it follow the path of the current telephone line up through the cavity and into the utility attic and down in the network room. I thought _maybe_ if I had a pull rope in place for NBI they might bring the fibre into the network room.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

Anyone know the options for a premises thats around 50 metres off the road (farmhouse) that doesn't have overhead cables or a duct underground? Is it up to the house owner to get a duct run to the road, or will NBI have options for them? Have a family member in this situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Orebro wrote: »
    Anyone know the options for a premises thats around 50 metres off the road (farmhouse) that doesn't have overhead cables or a duct underground? Is it up to the house owner to get a duct run to the road, or will NBI have options for them? Have a family member in this situation.

Curious about this too. I'm in a different but similar situation where the nearest vault to my house along the road is 185m away as the crow flies! And 225m if you were to follow along the road and turn up my drive. We have an existing phone line (albeit not used for a 3-4 years) that pops out of a duct in an external wall port where it goes internally over Cat5e cabling to the Eircom box in the utility on the other corner of the house.

But otherwise there's no sign of any other vault or existing duct access anywhere nearer the house. I wonder is there a duct going all the way from the vault to that access point on the side of my house, and is it still traversable? Or will I need to do the old "use the phone line as a guide wire" trick people are talking about.

You should ask them directly on Twitter! They do reply to direct questions. Worth a shot.

I had read somewhere that there was to be a max 150 euro cost to the customer to get the fibre to the premises, and the rest would then be covered by NBI - can't seem to find it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Sent them a quick message, got this response;
    The majority of connections to the NBI Fibre network will be delivered via an overhead line meaning the connection into the premises will be served from the nearest Optical Connection Point (ODP) into your premises across new or existing pole infrastructure. If there is a pre-existing telecommunications connection already in place and is it delivered underground, NBI may utilise this ducting infrastructure if suitable. It is our standard policy to connect homes by means of overhead cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Will there be a box on the external wall of the house (presumably anchoring the line from the nearest pole) and from there a cat6 cable run through the wall to the ONT or if not, how does the cable run work on an old house that just had a phone line previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pique wrote: »
    Will there be a box on the external wall of the house (presumably anchoring the line from the nearest pole) and from there a cat6 cable run through the wall to the ONT or if not, how does the cable run work on an old house that just had a phone line previously?

The ONT is the network demarcation point so it'll be fibre directly to the ONT, I assume like other networks how the cable enters your house will be decided on install day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭dam099

Both Openeir and SIRO bring the fibre inside the house, expect NBI would be the same. Ethernet wiring would only be between the ONT and ISP Router (usually beside each other so a short patch cable).

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

No box. Just an anchor on the gable/eave if overhead. Fiber is ran inside the house to the termination point/ONT which itself requires mains power. They'll try and find the easiest way to install while you'll want to be there to try and get them to install it the way you wish. CAT5e/6/7 from ONT to wherever you have router/gateway. Go CAT6 minimum if you're running new cable. First world problems once you have fiber though!

Jim

I don't care how it arrives tbh - I'll dig a trench with a teaspoon and lay the duct myself if necessary :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

TheSegal wrote: »
    KN are passing lengths of yellow cable under the road on the Monivea Road just past Cranmore crossroad in Galway. Starting just where the Eir fiber network stops. Temporary traffic lights blocking one lane for about 600 meters.

To the more knowledgeable posters, is the yellow cable just the fiber backbone that everything else will be spliced from? Or is it like the black cable overhead that still needs a fiber cable blown through it?

It is one of two things depending on your perception of "yellow". It is either a large cobra rod being pushed through existing duct to see if it is clear and perhaps pull more duct through or if it is more orange than yellow it is likely sub-duct that fibre will later pass through.

It is highly likely not fibre cable which will, nearly always, be black.

• Advertisement

As part of the surveys NBI are undertaking they try to assign each premises a connection type i.e. overhead or underground. When you come to place an order your ISP will have this assigned connection type information and should inform you. If you are not happy you can request a new survey, which you will pay for yourself, to assess a different route.

They are not going to install in attics. For non-duct installs there will be a 10mm hole drilled in an exterior wall and the cable is to be brough a maxium of 1m inside the property.

As with the eir rollout there may be some flexibility with individual installers who will try to help you but these are the rules NBI have set. Having your site prepared and making it as easy as possible for the installer would be prudent if you want them to bend the rules.

They will likely want to install a new pole either near or on your relative's land. If they are at home during survey they may be asked if they are happy with such a situation.

NBAiii wrote: »
    They will likely want to install a new pole either near or on your relative's land. If they are at home during survey they may be asked if they are happy with such a situation.

I doubt it tbh, the land is an active farm so the last thing they'll want is a pole in the way of machinery etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,787 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I doubt it tbh, the land is an active farm so the last thing they'll want is a pole in the way of machinery etc.

If it's a farm then youd imagine they have equipment to put in their own trench and buy about 200 euro worth of ducting and cover it up.

I don't see nbi digging gardens or farms up to supply people and tbh as a tax payer I don't think they should.

I put in my own ducting , I rented my own equipment.

listermint wrote: »
    If it's a farm then youd imagine they have equipment to put in their own trench and buy about 200 euro worth of ducting and cover it up.

I don't see nbi digging gardens or farms up to supply people and tbh as a tax payer I don't think they should.

I put in my own ducting , I rented my own equipment.

Yeah of course, but I guess if there are options there from NBI it’s good to know those as well.

Edit: Just found this, handy doc to have: https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Premises-Infrastructure-Document.pdf

So yes common sense prevails and it’s up to the owners to lay ducting.

As I said in the other post the option will be there to request a new survey. NBI would then cost an alternative solution which the homeowner would pay. As listermint said it would probably be cheaper to do it yourself in your relatives case.

Budget 2021 NBP capital allocation
    • €132 million in funding for the National Broadband Plan will help to connect thousands of homes and businesses to high-speed fibre next year;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

The Cush wrote: »
    Budget 2021 NBP capital allocation

Isn't that just a re-announcement of funding for a deal that's already signed

Isn't that just a re-announcement of funding for a deal that's already signed

This is the Budget hard cash allocated for the NBP next year from exchequer funds. You will see a budget allocation every year towards the rollout over the next 25 years of the government broadband plan up to the contracted maximum of €2.97bn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

NBAiii wrote: »
    As part of the surveys NBI are undertaking they try to assign each premises a connection type i.e. overhead or underground. When you come to place an order your ISP will have this assigned connection type information and should inform you. If you are not happy you can request a new survey, which you will pay for yourself, to assess a different route.

They are not going to install in attics. For non-duct installs there will be a 10mm hole drilled in an exterior wall and the cable is to be brough a maxium of 1m inside the property.

As with the eir rollout there may be some flexibility with individual installers who will try to help you but these are the rules NBI have set. Having your site prepared and making it as easy as possible for the installer would be prudent if you want them to bend the rules.

That doesn't sound at all.workabke to be honest. Most hoses existing eir connection for example comes in via the attic, and more than 1m inside the house.

There is no practical way for example that could work in my house, my existing eir like comes in via gable end overhead into attic and down to the hallway. It's a bungalow, easy route, but not a hope of terminating a router by bringing a cable below attic level.and just 1m inside the house

Advertisement