Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

2) no problem, you might be even able to do it twice on one charge in good weather.

3) boot space is ok, but there is extra "storage" under the boot, if you take all that out you drop the floor about 6" and can free up space. Go around other dealers with all your stuff and see how it fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Badger242

Thanks for the info on range. That's very reassuring! That's more than adequate.

To follow up on my own post. I just got off the phone with an Irish Kia dealership and was told that warranty will be good as long as it the car was serviced (and documented) with a Kia garage within the milage and time deadlines. He did state that this was very important as Kia can be quite strict on warranty repairs.

I'll bring the buggy at least to check out boot space. I've seen some of the posts here on boot alterations so would probably end up doing that.

If anyone has tips on know issues that I should look out for please share.

All going well, I'm thinking in around €24k would be decent value. Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

The main thing is not to overpay. Very few used EVs are selling. Compare to done deal prices and watch done deal ads as none are selling at asking prices. Deprecation will be your biggest expense.

Charging an eNro on public 50+kW can be a bit slower than you expect as in.it can take 1+ hours (with 64kWh battery) and on say 150kW public charger it will probably peak around 66kW meaning also a 1+ hour stop. Naturally if you don't need a full charge to make it home your stops can be far less. Real world worst case probably 220km, typical 300+, best 450 but it depends on freezing conditions, head winds and high speed. You should be fine to drive as fast as you want on your commute but just check range during freezing storms.

You can buy an odb dongle and check battery health yourself before buying but typically it's a non issue. Make 100% sure you are buying a 64kWh battery as sometimes dealers don't know and adverts can be wrong.

As with any used car check for dents, scrapes, wheel damage, tyre thread depth and when test driving check for noises during hard acceleration and high speed from motor and gearbox/reduction box.

As a front wheel drive car they can spin the front wheels a lot and you get understeer when accelerating hard and turning. Good tyres can help and leaving it in eco mode can help reduce wheel spin especially on wet roads.

Thanks for your input. Depreciation is definitely a concern with the market as it is. Possibly not the best time to be buying. Based on Donedeal over past few months, €24k for 2 year old with 27k km seems competitive. But hard to know really.

Slow charging shouldn't be too big a deal. Will be rare enough I'll be using public charging.

Is there any physical way to identify its a 64kWh? I don't have a dongle so was planning to check the GOM for range versus battery charge percentage and work from there.

Thanks for tips on what to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Can only answer 2 and 3.

2 - range is accurate, I just about get 320km round trip without charging. On a cold day it's cutting it fine though, a few times had the less than 20km warning!

3 - boot space is so-so, I had Qashqai prior to that and it's comparable. Lots of videos on YouTube showing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

You might be better looking at an "Irish" eNiro for a few €k more if you can afford it as the only model available here was a relatively high spec compared to the base model in the UK.

I've seen the car you mention on Donedeal and it's by far the cheapest available in Ireland, maybe for a good reason.

I was half thinking of buying a Tesla but was offered a derisory €14k for my 2022 eNiro. I've been getting prices from car buying websites and have been offered €26k+, so that UK import on Donedeal is really cheap.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about depreciation as the cars have already taken a €15k hit over 2 years, so it's hard to see much more of a drop.

To answer your question on boot space, I lowered mine with a "boot leveller" and its really quiet roomy. Can't remember where I bought it but it lowers the boot by about 6 inches and looks the same as the original boot floor. I can send you a pic if you want.

I went to see car in question and it was in great condition and a nice drive. But I decided to pass on it. From what I could tell, the second scheduled service was three weeks overdue. It would be over four by the time I got it organised after purchase. Warrenty might still be ok, but can't imagine Kia Ireland being too motivated in repairing a Kia UK car down the line. Could be an easy out for them. It wasn't worth the risk for me.

I'm in no rush so will keep an eye out for eniros and other options over next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

Yeah, the warranty issue would put me off. That being said, my brother had a UK Hyundai that he imported to Ireland and he had warranty work done on it without a problem. Still, when you're spending €25kish, I would rather spend a bit more and not have warranty concerns.

I've stopped looking myself, I'm going to wait until next year and start looking again. Hopefully things will have settled down a bit in the EV market at that stage.

I don't know any way to check battery size easily. Along with looking at GOM you need to look at trip efficiency. A dodgy seller could reset usage/consumption in the screen menu and then deliberately drive like a granny to get an unusually high range on the GOM. Indeed when I was selling I deliberately reset and drove slowly as I normally drive like I stole it and GOM estimate refects driving style a lot.

Post edited by zg3409 on

Definitely need to go into a potential purchase with your eyes open. Interestingly, you can get the battery size of a UK car by running the UK number plate on cartaxchecker. Well, at least I could for the e-niro I was looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I have a 2018 Kia phev top spec etc , 74km on the clock. Looking to change to Kia ev 2020 ev, garages looking for €8.5k_€10.5k to change, to say I was shook was an understatement. One car has 43k the other 63k on the clock, the one with more miles wants more to change up

i installed solar panels after I bought the phev, plus I was afraid to go full ev at the beginning.

i was thinking between 5_6k to change

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Spec of a car is some what meaningless to trade in values,

Second hand values of cars across the board are down a lot/back to normality, EV/phev/ice it's the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭OO7FITZY

12V car battery died at weekend ironically after a 100km drive - thinking maybe the car was left on or something because when I returned to the car a few hrs later and pressed the start button it gave an error on the ABS system and then died

Had to jump it to start the car again (which always surprises me when there is a 64kw battery with plenty of charge that cannot be called upon)

car is 4 years old

is there a test to check if 12v is dead and needs to be replaced - do I need to go to dealer or can I just get a battery from another supplier?

do I need a particular type for fully electric e-niro?

appreciate it if anyone could give advice

see pic of error in app this morning advising 12V needs to be checked

Go to local motor factors and avoid Halfords and dealers.

If they are quiet they might fit it. If not a socket set is needed.

With a new one you have peace of mind for a while. They are only around 120 euro.

There are lots of various battery types, both physical sizes and terminal types and polarities. They should be able to recommend one that physically fits and has same connections with sane polarity.

With the cold it does not help batteries. If you forget to lock car (were the mirrors folded in?) , that can also drain battery or leaving boot slightly open.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭OO7FITZY

THX

I think you are right about forgetting to lock the car and possibly the boot was left open also as the car was "abandoned" 😀 after the long drive home

the fact that the warning message reappered on the app even after I jumped it and drove it around for 40 mins suggests the battery needs replacing

used batteryworld.ie in the past and never had any issues with the batteries they sold me so will swing by them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Sorry to hear about your experience. I got one of these and keep under car seat for this very situation when it arrives. Highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 joleen100

Has anyone had any issues with the Scheduled Charging? Again last night my car (Kia Niro RV 2021) did not charge as per the schedule. This is the 3rd time it has happened. Now if I really need the car to be charged for a long trip I have to start it before I go to bed and pay for it at full rate. Any ideas?

Also, anyone know when the 12v Battery needs to be changed?

Thanks J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

I've had 2 Niros over the past 4 years and have never used the car's scheduling. I always use the Wall charger to charge at specific times

Unfortunately I am not able to connect to the charger to do this ( I have being onto the manufacturer & cannot get the Electrician to come back to look at it).

I have to try and use the app to charge during the cheap rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ElitesTeam

Im thinking of getting a 2019 kona.

I see reports of motor traction problems being something that will affect all konas at some stage and being out of warranty scares me!

Well this is the Niro thread so no fear of konas here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

And we're hardly going to tell you it's crisp, and don't buy one !!!

EN+ plus charger - it was the free charger that Kia gave for the car. It seems it is not on the right setting but I need the electrician back to change it back. He keeps on saying he will drop back but no sign yet :(

The scheduled charging worked this week but I don't trust it anymore so if I really need car charged for long journey I have to start charging outside of my cheap rate which is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 theknightbg

Just got the new Kia Niro delivered this week and I am experiencing what people are refering to Zombie Mode.

Is there an update that fixes this?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Yes KIA have a software fix for this, it's free. Contact the dealer and arrange to have the fix applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A new car delivered this week should have latest software.

So I hope this isn't a case of Kia delivering a software update that claims to fix the issue but doesn't or at least not fully.

To me it's always seemed like something not powering up or down correctly.

Issue was linked originally by new model Niro drivers to using the climate control remotely via the app - ie to defrost car on cold morning.

But a few owners had it happen even without using remote climate.

In the type of scenario where you'd park up the car and go away for a few mins* and when the owner comes back they'd have zombie mode.

*ie going into a chipper to pick up food you'd ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

I agree, this software update should have been applied to a brand new car only delivered last week.

I have experienced both issue you mentioned on my 231 K3, had the update about a month ago as part of the first service, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

I did my service on Friday on my MY20, and I asked for a battery SOH Report. This is what they gave me, in case anyone ever tried to get something previously and failed to get anything.

Post edited by championc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Am I reading that right, ur car has lost 24.5% battery capacity in 4 years?

Advertisement