Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I've seen it done, so it's not impossible.

Could be just easier to get a car with one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Sorry, I think my link earlier didn't work. Hope this one works (not sure how to link to the exact post on that page):

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057828054/kia-niro-ev/p153

It was mentioned on that page that Malcolm's in Rathcoole did it for one poster.

I've also seen another poster mention that they got it done for their Kia Soul through the crowd at the below link. http://www.towingequipment.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lgt

BMW Ix, Tesla model X, Hyundai Ionia 5, Kia EV6 can have a tow bar

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Has anyone had the sensor problems with Niro EV 4 and has it been sorted? Issue since bought new in January. Dealer cannot fix issue and is totally clueless. Alerts/Alarms 2-3 times a day usually in urban areas. Very annoying. Some days may alarm up to 8 times.

Alarms in succession telling us to check the following - 

Inattentive Driving warning system -Forward/Side safety system

Lane change assist function

Lane safety system -

speed limit system -

HBA (high beam assist system)

Are they happening in the same places evertime? I know our 2020 niro will ping similar on the M2 to Belfast in the same way.

• Advertisement

Sometimes yes - but not always. Do you get the 5 simultaneous alarms? I have noticed that the speed limit sign disappears off the windscreen just before they go off. But sometime sign disappears and they don’t go off. What triggers it I wonder?

some have managed to get front cameras replaced in the uk after a battle and that does seem to solve most of the cases but not all. Sensor replacing didn’t solve either.

Mines the "older niro"

Not on the road enough to exactly remember the place though,

Pings the adaptive cruise control, forward collision detection and lane assist. Mine doesn't have the blind spot detection but does have the auto headlights.

It always clears itself eventually.

If your able to reliably repeat it, you can keep the pressure on the dealership.

Thanks. Think the dealership have blocked me at this stage! They seem to have no idea how to solve it!

daughter doing her driving test soon in the car and am worried she will fail when the alerts go off - might try to get a letter from Kia saying they can’t solve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

It poses an interesting situation. Can a garage just shrug their shoulders and back away from an issue ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Would it be worth going higher to Kia Ireland instead of the dealer? Letting them know of the dealer's attitude while you're at it.

• Advertisement

Yes. Have Kia Ireland’s details to contact tomorrow. With the price of new cars, you would expect everything to work as normal and if not, that the issue would be rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically all these systems will turn off together if there is a fault with anything. For example any wheel speed sensor fault will cause all these things to turn off.

Ideally you need the dealer to diagnose,cI suggest asking them to fix it, or replace car or refund price of car. Last resort is handing keys back and going to court for your refund. If you keep car a refund is unlikely. I have found dealers to be terrible but it's really up to you to set the parameters and at least get a temporary replacement car until the issue is fixed. Parts alone can take months to come in so keep chasing up and involve kia Ireland in the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

New infotainment update is out - nothing major from what I can see

It will close your windows as you drive into a tunnel is the only quirky thing I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The update documentation says they have added wireless support for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, which would be a cool addition. It states that if you're previously connected your phone via USB you have to delete the existing connection (from both car and phone). Will give it a pop over the next few days.

I think it only applies to cars fitted with the ccnc navigation system. The EV9. When I completed the update on my Niro it did not list the wireless Android Auto as a new feature

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, only for the EV9 unfortunately. I've just got an AAwireless dongle for mine which works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

The only thing I really noticed since updating yesterday is that all the Radio stations now have their proper logos. Maybe this was there before, but I rarely listen to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I've been looking at potentially getting a new car. I've only ever had two cars in my life, both old second hand cars. I'm looking at the Kia Niro EV3 or 4 quite a lot. The mileage seems quite good, as well as boot space, though the charging speed may leave a lot to be desired on spec.

I was wondering what anyone with those model's experience has been like and if you would recommend? Any hidden niggles or pros I should be aware of?

I've had 2 Niros over the past 3 years, currently have the EV4 222 model and really love it. I can't think of any issues. Yes, the charging is a little slower than other EVs on the market, but I hardly ever use public chargers and even if I do I add it into my journey (e.g. stopping for lunch or coffee).

No matter what EV you get, having a home charger is essential.

Well spotted! Now if only they could do something about the awful design of the radio display in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Do you mind if I ask why you would have swapped through 2 Niros in that short a time? Myself and my wife don't have a habit of changing cars, never owned a new car etc so I'm not sure whether the swap is due to something like a PCP contract or dissatisfaction with previous car.

I see a lot of EVs go up for sale on second-hand market quite quick, and I can't tell if it's people making wrong choices, or the car just not being what they wanted.

No particular reason. Like yourself I never owned a new car until we purchased the new Niro in 2021. I just really liked the look of the newer version and when I sold it privately last year, I got a really good price for it, as the market was hot for 2nd hand EVs at that time. I might even look to change again in the new year, but haven't seen anything that can beat my current Niro. As I mentioned, it's a fantastic car and I really love driving it. I just got a 20k service last week with zero issues or updates required....other than the tires which might need to be changed in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

I can highly recommend this one as well. Have it 9 months and it is absolutely flawless. Connects every time and stays connected for the full journey.

By the way, for anyone worried about a constant current drain keeping something like this constantly connected to the USB port, after some investigation, I've discovered that while the USB port does stay on after you lock the car, it then powers down a few minutes later.

One thing you have to do is disable the Start/Stop option. If you don't, when the USB port powers up any time anyone with the key (like my wife with the key in her handbag!) walks past the car and activates the door mirrors, the dongle tries to connect automatically with the phone if it's within Bluetooth range, which it is in my case usually. Cue loads of alerts and pings on the phone when it can't connect to Android Auto because the head unit isn't active!

One other thing, they're tiny and very light, with a nice short cable supplied. I have mine attached to the underside of the area where the USB port and charging pad is with some self adhesive Velcro so it's out of the way but can be removed easily if necessary.

I also installed one of these Dongar Dash Cam adapters a few months ago and it's a really neat job for my dashcam. Easy enough to install it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Speaking of add ons, I bought a 2019 Niro and I fitted this to clean the rear camera. It works great particularly in the winter months. Its not suitable for newer niros. Got stung in UK customs, total about 45 euros with shipping and customs.

Post edited by zg3409 on

Advertisement