Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Timber

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Halycon wrote: »
    Hello,

Has any any experience in using red deal for joinery furniture? I feel I have gone as far as I can practicing on white deal/ spruce from builders merchants. I mostly use hand tools as I like the peace involved.
    I can't justify hardwood prices, especially at the moment.

You should be able to get 8'/4' sheets of laminated red deal, it comes in 15, 18, 25 and 38 mm thickness, what part of the country are you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sbkenn

You should be able to get 8'/4' sheets of laminated red deal, it comes in 15, 18, 25 and 38 mm thickness, what part of the country are you in.
    I have never come across Red Deal in ply. I do use Birch ply quite a bit though. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

sbkenn wrote: »
    I have never come across Red Deal in ply. I do use Birch ply quite a bit though. Lovely stuff.

It's not plywood, it's strips of red deal stuck together, to form a large sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

I think I will try a bit of poplar from Strahan timber, as they do an online delivery service. When I am a bit more flush I will try Abbey woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Halycon

sbkenn wrote: »
    Abbey woods, if you can get to Cork city. I doubt that anyone other than a dedicated timber yard would have anything of interest to you.

Can I ask if they are welcoming to the small scale DIYer like myself? I often feel buying stuff from builders merchants that if you don't have a VAT number and aren't spending big money, you are wasting their time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Halycon wrote: »
    Can I ask if they are welcoming to the small scale DIYer like myself? I often feel buying stuff from builders merchants that if you don't have a VAT number and aren't spending big money, you are wasting their time.

Strahan are decent to deal with, they supply wood turning stuff as well so they would have no issue dealing with hobbyists in my experience. I have bought PAO (planed all over) oak & walnut from them several times, never any issue. With covid, you cannot choose your own boards, but they have a collection service which useful as the max length their courier service does is 600mm; I have gotten 2.4M/8ft from them. Not sure what their prices are like now, I got a planer some time back so going to get rough sawn boards for my next build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

I need to replace a few Iroko slats in a garden table.

I only need 1m of 10mm * 50mm, but will get 3m for future repairs.
    Best I can find is on ebay from UK and by the time delivery & import charges are added, it's £50.
    Am I wasting my time trying to find somewhere in Ireland where I can get it for same or less?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,563 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

abbeywood.ie iirc :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

abbeywood.ie iirc :)

Last time I contacted them, about two years ago, they weren't interested in small orders.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Last time I contacted them, about two years ago, they weren't interested in small orders.
    Okay,
    I lived close enough to them and I just dropped in, I always found them easy to deal with, there will be pieces of board lying around, else try your local woodworking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Hi folks.

I'm looking to make a desktop for my home office. I want something that will look smart, but be strong enough to support a decent amount of computer equipment. Would decent quality plywood do the job, and if so, what should I be looking for exactly?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Hi folks.

I'm looking to make a desktop for my home office. I want something that will look smart, but be strong enough to support a decent amount of computer equipment. Would decent quality plywood do the job, and if so, what should I be looking for exactly?
    IIRC the lads here are using baltic ply, you might need runners screwed and glued if the span is too wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Firblog

Hi folks, OH has started cold smoking, just did a salmon and it turned out very well, problem is that we used up the bit of oak sawdust that came with the little maze smoker; thought this might be a good place to ask where to source some untreated oak / hickory / apple / cherry / maple sawdust? Couple of lbs would prob be more than enough for the rest of the year.

Cheers for all pointers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

josip wrote: »
    I need to replace a few Iroko slats in a garden table.

I only need 1m of 10mm * 50mm, but will get 3m for future repairs.
    Best I can find is on ebay from UK and by the time delivery & import charges are added, it's £50.
    Am I wasting my time trying to find somewhere in Ireland where I can get it for same or less?

Any joinery and you will pick that up for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

I’ve been looking to purchase some hardwood (walnut) in the south east area. Mcmahons did stock but their Waterford location seems to be closed (past by on Monday). Any other providers folks would recommend in the general south east? Happy to travel a bit, so KK, Wexford or Waterford.

Nuphor wrote: »
    I’ve been looking to purchase some hardwood (walnut) in the south east area. Mcmahons did stock but their Waterford location seems to be closed (past by on Monday). Any other providers folks would recommend in the general south east? Happy to travel a bit, so KK, Wexford or Waterford.

Update: McMahons still open, must’ve caught them at a bad time! Open 8-5 Mon-Thurs, 8-4 on Fridays. Super helpful staff as well, picked up some walnut

Update: McMahons still open, must’ve caught them at a bad time! Open 8-5 Mon-Thurs, 8-4 on Fridays. Super helpful staff as well, picked up some walnut

Nice one. What price per cube?

kadman wrote: »
    Nice one. What price per cube?

Pricey, but expected as much: ~€75 cubic foot ex-vat for black walnut.

Pricey, but expected as much: ~€75 cubic foot ex-vat for black walnut.

Ouch........sounds like robbery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I am looking for an appreciative woodworker who might have a use for some old wood salvaged from a brass bed whose provenance can be dated to at least 1918. Four pieces were used to support the old spring base and look like pine (pitch pine?) or maybe cedar? The overall measurements are 190 x 80 x 50 mm (two) and 140 x 80 x 50 mm (two). The larger pieces are planed and both have some indentations to take bolt etc. They are located in south Dublin. PM please if any interest, maybe with email or contact details.

Post edited by Garlinge on

Hi, Thanks very much for your generous offer, and I do hope someone pics up on it..

Kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

Looking for some cedar in South East, 2x4 is fine any length. Anyone know of any where I can get some? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Can anyone tell me where I can buy plywood with a nice grain on the outer layers? I see a lot of US based YouTubers using lovely plywood but all I can seem to find here is very plain plywood and most of that is red coloured and looks ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hayeso

Do you have a link to any of the videos you're seeing? It could be Baltic Birch Plywood they're using. I typically get mine from Woodworkers or Timbercraft. Not cheap though! Birch Plywood typically comes in different grades. B/BB would be the better quality which will probably cost 80-90 euro for a 18mm sheet right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Woodworkers do veneered plywood, which is probably similar to what you've been seeing on the American videos.

You need to keep a careful eye on Woodworkers. I've stopped using them since I had one delivery with a lot of forklift damage to the wood, and then some birch ply that was badly warped on another order.

• Advertisement

Yep, I've done some research and it's definitely birch plywood that is being used. It really looks lovely! Thanks for the recommendation. Will look at those sites.

Good to know, thank you. I was just on Woodworkers.ie and a 2440 x 1220 x 18mm sheet is €91 right now. Expensive but still cheaper for me to buy a sheet and make a nice shoe rack with that than to buy a decent one from a store! I'll be building one with a seat on top to replace the tiny little one from Argos we've used for the last 10 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I’ve made a lot of stuff with birch ply. It’s got a certain appeal that’s popular now.

Relatively easy to work with and not too expensive.

I prefer the 18mm over 15 as I find it has less imperfections/repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭timfromtang

My American friend says that you can find mahogany and walnut faced plywood at Lowes, lowes.com, have a browse.... whilst I am glad not to live in america it owuld be nice if we could buy lovely ply off the shelf locally as most americans seem able to do.

tim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Hi guys,

Is there anywhere that will cut and plane timber for you? Like give them a list and they'll do it for you eg 10 lenghts of spalt beech, 16 wide, 40mm thick?

Looking for some timber for scroll saw.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Any suggestions where I might get a piece of timber approx 10' x 1' x 3/4"?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Was in my timber suppliers last week to get some Sapele for a door I was asked to make. Was expecting a huge jump in prices but it hadn't changed much since my last lot, last year. €37.85 a cube very similar to last years price!

I should have phrased this differently.

The problem is that any hardware stores or builders providers I visited only had planks up to 9" wide or sheets 8' long.

So a better question might be to ask are there timber products are out there that are 10' x 1'?

I'm in the Midlands.

Genealogy Forum Mod

If I'm reading this right, 10 feet long x 1 foot wide? I got Iroko boards that wide, 13" x 1 1/4" x 14' long in my local joinery workshop.

Showing my ignorance now - I had to Goggle Iroko.

I was thinking more along the lines of chipboard products used for kitchens if a single piece could be bought to order but Iroko or a similar board might be an easier option to source.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A bit of a tall order I'm afraid. Most hardwoods are sold up to 10 " wide. Above this and the boards are prone to cupping and are wasteful to plane flat. That is why most planer /thicknessers for the DIY market are 10" wide. I see a lot of quotes on here about 'asking your local joiner' to prepare wood. In practice most joinery shops are set up to do industrial runs of doors/ windows etc and are simply not interested in interrupting their work flow to do one off jobs. There will always be an exception so if you have found a friendly local joiner by all means use him. If you are getting into using hardwoods the only answer is to spend 300 -400 on a secondhand planer / thicknesser which will allow you to plane rough timber to your own dimensions. Ireland is a small place and you will probably find hardwoods imported from the U.S. but exotic woods like spalted beech are going to be difficult to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Has anybody bought off Hearts Wood Heritage recently? Are they pricey?

Looking to get two work/table tops (using for office) and looking at something like oak or similar.

1650mm x 625mm x 40 mm

2090mm x 625mm x 40 mm

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Hi bamayang,

Could I please ask the name of the 'timber Miller in Tipperary' you got the Ash slabs from?

Thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

pm Sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Can someone identify the timber being used for this clock?

It came from an old table found in a barn. Was apparently there for about 90 years.

This is a friend's work but he does not know what wood it is .......... so I thought to ask here as he would like to source some more.

It looks like some kind of rosewood with a lot of sapwood included. Possible Cocobolo which is now unfortunately on the endangered species list. It's a 'Marmite ' thing - people either love sapwood or hate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

Sheesham is one of the most durable and sustainable woods on earth. The tree, native to India, thrives in poor soil, severe drought, high rains, extreme cold, and temperatures over 120 degrees. All of this makes it cheap and easy to grow on large plantations almost anywhere in the world.24 May 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Does anyone know of a supplier of okoume marine ply? Looking for a single 12mm sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Hey folks,does anyone know where I can get iroko planks, 10 inch wide,1 inch thick,any length in Cork City or county,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but i'm looking to get reacquaint with woodwork, 20+years since i left school.

My question is what wood to I get from the local hardware shop to practice dovetail joints and the likes.

Online I seen a guy speak about white pine board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usdISsUA_fk&list=LL&t=110s

Is that right..or is there a better alternative???

Thanks

You can cut dovetails in virtually any wood but a softwood like spruce will be economical and easy to work. The question is what will you do then ? !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've got a solid ash worktop for sale. 3000mm x 900mm x 40mm. It has a cutout for a hob. It's been used once, so in perfect condition. Never installed in a kitchen and is coated with Rubio monocoat. Looking for €140 for it, if anyone is interested.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-home-garden/wooden-worktop/28878491

Advertisement