Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you can find clear stuff without that green streaking, it's a lot prettier than you'd think when given a plane finish. Not sure how well that'd show up when you turn it though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never seen a burl as large as this in relation to the size of the tree - it was at least 18 inches across. completely encases the trunk.

445245.jpg

Anyone know of a good source of constructional veneer (say 1.5mm thick) in horse chestnut or sycamore or holly or boxwood or other whiteish wood for stringing in either Ireland or the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Sparks wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good source of constructional veneer (say 1.5mm thick) in horse chestnut or sycamore or holly or boxwood or other whiteish wood for stringing in either Ireland or the UK?
    I've a few lengths of ash veneer left over from building my fathers coffin.
    they're about 8 ft long, 6" wide, and about 1.5mm thick.
    you'd be welcome to some,
    pm me
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sparks wrote: »

You could try the Abbey Woods Dublin, Carpentry Store in Naas, or Restoration Materials in Bury, I've never seen horse chestnut timber used for anything other than firewood, am I right thinking it's soft stringy and coarse grained

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

Looking for a selection of hardwoods to get myself familiar with them. Any type really, small pieces would be perfect. Something to mess around with.

Any ideas where would be best to get some?

Cheers

Looking for a selection of hardwoods to get myself familiar with them. Any type really, small pieces would be perfect. Something to mess around with.

Any ideas where would be best to get some?

Cheers

The carpentry store do have an off cuts bin with different types if you just looking to see how it might take a plane, chisel etc. Some of it could be cut into strips for inlay.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The carpentry store do have an off cuts bin with different types if you just looking to see how it might take a plane, chisel etc. Some of it could be cut into strips for inlay.

Never thought of the off cut bins....thanks! Could do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

I was in at KDH last week - they've got loads of scraps of various timbers and also many small boards that the bigger consumers aren't interested in. All rough sawn - kiln dried and unseasoned if you want it.

http://kilndriedtimbersuppliers.com

Neil is a very helpful chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Diaezoner

We will shortly be getting 3 120yr old beech trees cut down and we're wondering if anyone would know someone who's be interested in buying the wood? South cork area. Thanks in advance for any advice folks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

make sure the tree surgeon has applied for a felling licence, if applicable.
    why are they coming down? are they healthy? this could affect interest in the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Diaezoner

make sure the tree surgeon has applied for a felling licence, if applicable.
    why are they coming down? are they healthy? this could affect interest in the wood.

They are coming down as we have had 2 fall in the last 3 years, one of which fell on the house and severely damaged it. They are healthy, it was during storms that they fell, but we were advised by the guys who came to remove the fallen one's that we should probably get the rest taken down for safety.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Diaezoner wrote: »
    They are coming down as we have had 2 fall in the last 3 years, one of which fell on the house and severely damaged it. They are healthy, it was during storms that they fell, but we were advised by the guys who came to remove the fallen one's that we should probably get the rest taken down for safety.

You dont necessarily need a felling license for dangerous trees close to the house,

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/treefelling/ExemptedTreeInformationNote271017.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JudgeVolt

Hi,

Im new to woodworking - I just started an online course to get me started.
    Im having trouble finding planed softwood of the following dimensions :

19mm x 38mm x 1.2m (1" x 2")
    19mm x 64mm x 1.2m (1" x 3")

ive tried my local woodies/BnQ but they don't have these sizes in planed wood. I also looked at several website but cant thing these sizes there either.

Are these dimensions unusual?
    Is it possible to get a lumber yard to dimension some wood for me and would that be expensive to get done?

Surprised B&Q don't have that, they often have something close to it (albeit in short lengths and seriously overpriced). If you're in Kildare, you're fairly close to Naas, maybe try the Carpentry Shop? Or if you go a bit further east, Strahan Timber?

BTW, you can probably substitute poplar for softwood for what you're doing, so if you find a place that has mainly hardwood rather than softwood, just buy poplar (might be listed as tulipwood) - so for example, strahan has planed poplar and it's slightly cheaper than their planed yellow pine.

But if you just want any old softwood, try somewhere like Brooks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

JudgeVolt wrote: »
    Hi,

ive tried my local woodies/BnQ but they don't have these sizes in planed wood. I also looked at several website but cant thing these sizes there either.

Is it possible to get a lumber yard to dimension some wood for me and would that be expensive to get done?

I'm afraid retailers don't carry finished softwoods - as a woodworker its up to you to plane rough wood to size. Floorboards and trim strips are the exception but they have industry standard dimensions When funds allow a planer/thicknesser is a lifesaver and will allow you to buy softwoods ( and hardwoods ) in the rough.A small joinery shop might help you but they really don't want one off small jobs.

recipio wrote: »
    IWhen funds allow a planer/thicknesser is a lifesaver

Or, you know, sweat :D

IMG_1970a.jpg

(I'm lying through my teeth of course - if I could fit a lunchbox thicknesser in the shed, I'd have bought two by now and feck the neighbours and the insane amount of noise :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try some of the non chain hardware suppliers, most should stock what you need, in planed white deal. What part of the country are you in.

Hi,
    Thanks for the info.
    Strahan Timber is close to me, might drop over and have a chat with them this weekend.
    Will be a while before I shell out for a thicknesser as I’ve blown my initial budget with the tools I bought already (circular saw, jigsaw, router & bits, hand saw, some chisels and a few F clamps).
    Who knew shopping could be this much fun :)

Hi,
    Thanks for the info.
    Strahan Timber is close to me, might drop over and have a chat with them this weekend.
    Will be a while before I shell out for a thicknesser as I’ve blown my initial budget with the tools I bought already (circular saw, jigsaw, router & bits, hand saw, some chisels and a few F clamps).

'Er indoors says I should take up something cheap like golf :eek: A secondhand planer/thicknesser is the most liberating tool you can buy. You could get a used Scheppach for about 400e - the rubber rollers let you thickness right down to about 3mm. Recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Hi,
    Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately (and hope to be told different..!) but dont think they open over the weekend :(

Yes, ur right.
    They are closed over the weekend.

I semt them an email. Hope to get a response early next week.

Hi,

Out of interest....what online course are you doing?
    If you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Hi,

http://www.woodworkers.ie/prices/p_planed_timber.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tonylk

Looking for southern yellow pine
    2" by 8" and 2" by 12"
    Length at least 1800 mm.
    anyone knows where I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Would you use cedar wood for carving?
    On my course we been using beech but bought some cedar, tried carving but it keeps chipping. Do you think its just that the wood is too dry? (I think it may have been in a kiln, have to ask the guy I got it off)
    What woods would you usually use?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Cedar is soft and easy to carve but its also brittle and so splits and chips easily. Northwestern native Americans do fantastic carvings in cedar but I suspect the wood would be partly green, certainly not kiln dried. Among our native woods beech is hard to beat but field maple, lime and even sycamore would be viable alternatives. Avoid woods with a pronounced ring pattern such as ash, oak , sweet chestnut etc. Finally there is no such thing as a carving chisel that is too sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Cedar is soft and easy to carve but its also brittle and so splits and chips easily. Northwestern native Americans do fantastic carvings in cedar but I suspect the wood would be partly green, certainly not kiln dried. Among our native woods beech is hard to beat but field maple, lime and even sycamore would be viable alternatives. Avoid woods with a pronounced ring pattern such as ash, oak , sweet chestnut etc. Finally there is no such thing as a carving chisel that is too sharp.

Thanks for your help
    Been doing wood carving for a few months & absolutely love it. Slowly buying tools so I can do some at home & manged to source wood at a good price (the guy even threw in a few beech blanks as part of the deal)
    I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong with the cedar but its good to get advise from some one who knows.
    Again thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Would you use cedar wood for carving?
    On my course we been using beech but bought some cedar, tried carving but it keeps chipping. Do you think its just that the wood is too dry? (I think it may have been in a kiln, have to ask the guy I got it off)
    What woods would you usually use?

Willow is easy to get and nice to carve, lime is somewhat harder to get but wonderful to carve.
    If the form you are carving will allow hollowing of the finished carving, then carving green, whilst the wood is lovely and crisp to cut, and then hollowing to a relatively even thickness and allowing to dry before finishing is a good approach that will transform the carveability of almost any wood (i.e. almost any wood will be much nicer to carve whilst green) a bonus to this approach is that drying can be controlled relatively easily and proceed considerably faster than trying to dry a solid piece before carving.

Green wood in carveable sized pieces is also considerably easier to get, just ask a tree surgeon, or gardener, or farmer, etc, laburnum for example is quite beautiful timber, cotoneaster is sooooo smoooth with fine fine detail, etc
    tim

• Advertisement

Have a look at www.oakdalecrafts.co.uk. They are mainly a veneer shop but sell nice Lime blocks at a reasonable cost.

Advertisement