Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

Is it possible to get a piece of timber this size, without gluing planks together?

I dont think it is

sI2Kviz.png

An 8x4 sheet of solid timber, do they exist?

woodworkers.ie have pine solid board in 2400x1200 - is that actually solid, or boards glued together, and if it is solid, is that the biggest I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

99nsr125 wrote: »
    About 15,000 people but that's not important ;-)

Trunk is maybe 6ft by 6 inches in diameter

I'll take pictures tomorrow with a measuring tape for reference

Yup 6 inches by 6.5 feet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Redd4 wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a piece of timber this size, without gluing planks together?

I dont think it is

sI2Kviz.png

woodworkers.ie have pine solid board in 2400x1200 - is that actually solid, or boards glued together, and if it is solid, is that the biggest I can get?

It's unlikely to be solid one piece of timber you'd be looking at a pine that's about 1400 diameter I don't believe they exist or at least I've never seen them. Ireland tend to use quick growing trees for harvest and they actually cut them as low as possible unlike most of europe.

The table you have linked in the picture is made up of joined planks.

You'd be looking at a very large tree to get a solid piece so big think redwood etc and even then to get a piece smooth like that table with knots and rot you'd be lucky and that's before finding a saw mill to cut it.

Planks joined with biscuits and finished properly will be as strong if not stronger than a solid piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Redd4 wrote: »

I dont think it is

sI2Kviz.png

There's a man in Co.Galway who sells that kind of stuff:
    ApbfJmS.jpg

Saw his ads on donedeal few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Poloman

recipio wrote: »
    You can only buy hardwoods 'in the rough' or unplaned. Retailers have never recovered from the crash and you will find stocks are low. Chadwicks. James McMahon and Brooks are all located in Limerick and its best to ask them directly. If you have transport, JP Corry down in Cahir had great stocks but its been about five years since I last visited.
    As you can see, buying hardwoods is not straightforward - most people will only buy wood as they need it for projects. You could easily drop a grand and only have a few dozen planks to show for it so check all prices before committing the hard earned.

Thanks for that. Thats very useful info. I bought myself a thickness/planer combo. Sorry it took so long to reply I have been busy. I have spent a little over 8k on all the tools I was talking about including an 8x4 trailer so I have transport now I can visit Cahir if needs be. Yes its not a load of certain expensive woods its just a number of things need some small bits of maple etc etc so one plank could last me years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

"Magic wrote:
    =);105041585"]There's a man in Co.Galway who sells that kind of stuff:
    ApbfJmS.jpg

Saw his ads on donedeal few times.

Do you by any chance have a link to this guy on done deal?

Do you by any chance have a link to this guy on done deal?

Not sure if I can post contact details here so sent you a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

"Magic wrote:
    =);105056649"]Not sure if I can post contact details here so sent you a PM.

Could ya send them on to me aswell please. Was on DoneDeal on Sunday night and I had no joy. :/

Could ya send them on to me aswell please. Was on DoneDeal on Sunday night and I had no joy. :/

No problem. PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Going back to the question about an 8 x 4' plank . You would have to find a tree that has a trunk about 10' wide and even if you did find one and had a sawmill cut the plank for you it would almost certainly crack , shrink , cup or twist. A table top made up of narrower planks glued together would be far more stable and ultimately a much better job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

'Magic wrote:
    =);105074742']No problem. PM sent.

I'm intrigued. That looks more like a North American barn and the stove has got to be a fire hazard. Could you post the location on the open forum - I'm sure you are not breaking any rules.;)

As per woodcraft charter I'm not allowed to post contact details. I will gladly send pm though.
    In a meantime I've come across these on donedeal.

https://www.donedeal.ie/buildingmaterials-for-sale/large-selection-of-wide-slab-timber-spalted-beech/16671291

https://www.donedeal.ie/buildingmaterials-for-sale/hardwood-kiln-dry-maple-and-linden-planks/15104515

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

Most of the boards in the donedeal ad have been sawn through and through ie you can see bark on both edges. This means they will suffer badly from cupping and wind (twisting) and indeed where you can view them end on many have already cupped. For wind you will have to check by sighting along the length of each board. These defects mean that you are going to get a lot less usable wood than you are paying for,and he is asking premium prices. Another drawback of wood sawn this way is that it will continue to distort as the moisture level drops from "outside air dried" to " furniture in a heated house." The surface of finished furniture may form cracks, mortice and tenon joints may loosen or worse tighten to the point of the mortice splitting.

My advice , initially at least, is to buy hardwoods as you need them from reputable hardwood suppliers who will certify the moisture content. Their boards will for the most part be" half sawn" ie the trunk has been first sawn in half and then the boards will be sawn at right angles to the first cut. You can tell this by the fact that only one side will have bark on it. This allows you to go to work with the wood immediately , reasonably confident that distortion problems wont occur.

The OP has bought a planer/ thicknesser so any wood will have to be cut down to run through that. The Carpentry Store in Naas is handy for small exotic pieces although stocking levels can vary. The idea of 4' wide trestle tables has a rustic appeal but really, are you going to spend a month hand planing it down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Hi all,
    Any one recommend a timber type for a large window board?
    It's a large floor to ceiling window, want something really hardwaring as it will be stood on.
    I have spalted beech but think it's too soft & won't be durable enough.
    Thinking oak but open to all options, I'd like something with a nice grain.
    Thanks

jfh wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Any one recommend a timber type for a large window board?
    It's a large floor to ceiling window, want something really hardwaring as it will be stood on.
    I have spalted beech but think it's too soft & won't be durable enough.
    Thinking oak but open to all options, I'd like something with a nice grain.
    Thanks

American black walnut will give you the a nice grain pattern. Otherwise iroko which is extremely durable against moisture. If its going to be walked on it needs at least three coats of polyurethane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

recipio wrote: »
    American black walnut will give you the a nice grain pattern. Otherwise iroko which is extremely durable against moisture. If its going to be walked on it needs at least three coats of polyurethane.

Any idea where I'd pick up one of those?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ABW is a tad expensive though (it was 75/cubic foot last I bought some which was twice what oak was costing) and is walnut especially hard-wearing?

jfh wrote: »
    Any idea where I'd pick up one of those?

If you are not doing it yourself its probably best to ask a local joiner. It all depends on what stock is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 AidanMike

Anyone from around Cork area would know where I can find wood boards / wood supplies? I know of "abbeywoods.ie" and already used them for my first project, but I was hopping to find other suppliers to compare prices and stocks.

I read a few 10 - 15 pages here but only saw stuff for Dublin :( (Will try to look at the other 15-20 pages when I'm back though).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure if it shows on the mobile site, but on the full site there's a 'search this thread' option - however, that doesn't throw up much. jp corry in cahir is mentioned, if you can get up there.

All windows are different - its not as if you can go to a store and simply 'pick one up' Generally when a builder is installing windows if the cill is less than 10" in width he will get a length of Iroko planed and bullnosed . Anything wider and they tend to want to use plywood Have you looked in the usual chain stores - Chadwicks/Brooks etc . ? For wider hardwood boards they will need to be glued up to the correct width - an easy job if you have the tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 AidanMike

not sure if it shows on the mobile site, but on the full site there's a 'search this thread' option - however, that doesn't throw up much. jp corry in cahir is mentioned, if you can get up there.

Thanks fro that Still something to try when I can go over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Im after some hardwood in wexford for two wee projects. I know you can just buy em off the shelf but Id like to do it myself properly and avoid Engineered Wood.

2 sqm parquet flooring. oak would be nice, but id be open to alternatives. If it goes well there's another 50+ sqm to do.

And an absolute rake load of 3 or 4" x 0.5" lengths of hardwood for skirting and architraves.

Not flush at the moment so will have to split the projects. Or find an almighty good deal with sum boards help.

Just completely at random, but has anyone ever found a place near Dublin where you could get oak logs? (As in, unprocessed, still green)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Sparks wrote: »
    Just completely at random, but has anyone ever found a place near Dublin where you could get oak logs? (As in, unprocessed, still green)

What size logs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 SalvageIreland

sent you a private message with some info that might help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has anyone any experience of working with poplar? i may be able to get some, the plan would be to turn it if suitable. i've never worked with it before, though.

Never turned it, but I've made a few bandsaw boxes and a nice wall cupboard. I found it a bit of a faff to saw by hand but everything using an edge loved it. Tight grain compared to oak. Bit soft but nowhere near as bad as something like pine. It seems to have that green streaking through it a lot of the time but everyone seems to paint it anyway. You could get nice tight joinery with it.

• Advertisement

has anyone any experience of working with poplar? i may be able to get some, the plan would be to turn it if suitable. i've never worked with it before, though.

So called 'yellow poplar ' is widely available now. Some retailers in the UK describe it as a 'semi- hardwood' as its pretty soft. I've never turned it as its a very uninteresting timber. If you can find its cousin 'Aspen' its a nice white wood but pretty soft as well.Good as secondary wood for carcassing and drawer sides etc.

Advertisement