Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Madge wrote: »
    Well I still don't agree with ye that it was pub grub, to me it was a fine dining experience but tbh I don't eat out a lot. The last time was late 2006.
    I heard the Cromleach Lodge is good but it's very expensive.

we heard very good stories about it aswell, expensive is not a problem if the food is brilliant and exciting.

Thistle here .... that was tulip above...can you see the difference in typing technique? :p
    Has anybody eaten in the Sinergie restaurant and Kudos bar at Clarion Hotel? If so what did you think of it? Just checked out the menus on Hotel website - looks good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Has anyone tried Langs Bar & Restaurant in Grange?
    I get good reports about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Essexboy wrote: »

I've heard good things about it too, but I don't drive so chances are nil I'll get to try it.

Although, I have tried Bella Vista Pizza at Strandhill - I liked the food better than the Bistro, easily. And the atmosphere and service are LEAPS ahead. Loved it - very very reasonable and they're extremely kid friendly (they'll do any meal for your kid for 4 euro or something, I think, in a small portion - no kids myself so I didn't pay too much attention)

I'd love to go back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Essexboy wrote: »

Was there a couple of times, food really delicious I got a lovely tomato-ey chicken dish and the boyf had steak, I tasted it and it was mouth- watering!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I had dinner on the way back from Knock Airport in Yeats County Inn, Curry, yesterday (In a previous post I confused it with Yeats Tavern / Davis - Doh! Wrong road entirely!!)...

Anyhow - decent food. I went for one of the specials of the day, Roast Loin of Pork at €11. The serving was MASSIVE.. far too big for me, but was decent enough. The pork was lovely & came on a bed of stuffing & smothered in gravy. The accompanying mash & veg though, were quite bland... boiled & mashed carrot / turnip mix, boiled cabbage & boiled spuds, all with zero seasoning added. I left most of them, & ate half the missus dinner!

She had a Beef & Veg Stirfry with a soy sauce, all on a bed of rice & noodles (half a bowl of each!). Again, another huge portion... cost around a tenner & it was really tasty. Perfectly cooked steak pieces, nice crunchy veg & a really tasty sauce with a nice hint of chilli.

The menu itself looked pretty good - not too expensive either with most dishes (bar steaks) coasting less than €15.

I'd eat there again, but would avoid the "sunday dinner" style specials. Didn't have starters or desert & with the size of the portions of the main course, there's no way I'd fit either in!

After spending 3 hours in Gatwick departures lounge, sitting on the floor (along with another couple of thousand stranded passengers), it was nice to get a good feed!

Had to search for this thread....

We went to Kudos last night!

We had to search a bit to find out where it was in the hotel. It was a relaxed atmosphere.
    Service was fast, food came very quickly!
    It's basically the same idea as Lemongrass but with less choice, great food for the price. I had Crying Tiger and it did bring tears to my eyes - I can usually eat very hot food and this was VERY HOT! Mr Tulip had Beef teryaki which was also very tasty (although I couldn't really taste too much after a fork full of mine). The wee man had sea bass in a banana leaf and he ate it all up!
    Child friendly, chat with the kitchen staff coz the wee man loves kitchens and watching people cook - prefers helping but they weren't THAT child friendly.:D
    Sorry folks, didn't look at the wine choice (I don't drink) and had quick look at desserts but we didn't order one.

We went arount 18.45 and it wasn't too busy. Before we were leaving the place was heaving with hen parties (blurgh - sorry, not my thang).

Take it you didn't find this link worthy of "stickying"???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I had dinner on the way back from Knock Airport in Yeats County Inn, Curry, yesterday (In a previous post I confused it with Yeats Tavern / Davis - Doh! Wrong road entirely!!)...

Anyhow - decent food. I went for one of the specials of the day, Roast Loin of Pork at €11. The serving was MASSIVE.. far too big for me, but was decent enough. The pork was lovely & came on a bed of stuffing & smothered in gravy. The accompanying mash & veg though, were quite bland... boiled & mashed carrot / turnip mix, boiled cabbage & boiled spuds, all with zero seasoning added. I left most of them, & ate half the missus dinner!

She had a Beef & Veg Stirfry with a soy sauce, all on a bed of rice & noodles (half a bowl of each!). Again, another huge portion... cost around a tenner & it was really tasty. Perfectly cooked steak pieces, nice crunchy veg & a really tasty sauce with a nice hint of chilli.

The menu itself looked pretty good - not too expensive either with most dishes (bar steaks) coasting less than €15.

I'd eat there again, but would avoid the "sunday dinner" style specials. Didn't have starters or desert & with the size of the portions of the main course, there's no way I'd fit either in!

After spending 3 hours in Gatwick departures lounge, sitting on the floor (along with another couple of thousand stranded passengers), it was nice to get a good feed!

Massive difference between that place and Davis's!:D

I've been there a few times.

On three seperate occasions i've left because there was nobody to take our order and it wasn't even busy!!

Good to hear they are getting their act together!

That said on the few occasions that I have eaten there it's been grand!

Had to search for this thread....

We went to Kudos last night!

We had to search a bit to find out where it was in the hotel. It was a relaxed atmosphere.
    Service was fast, food came very quickly!
    It's basically the same idea as Lemongrass but with less choice, great food for the price. I had Crying Tiger and it did bring tears to my eyes - I can usually eat very hot food and this was VERY HOT! Mr Tulip had Beef teryaki which was also very tasty (although I couldn't really taste too much after a fork full of mine). The wee man had sea bass in a banana leaf and he ate it all up!
    Child friendly, chat with the kitchen staff coz the wee man loves kitchens and watching people cook - prefers helping but they weren't THAT child friendly.:D
    Sorry folks, didn't look at the wine choice (I don't drink) and had quick look at desserts but we didn't order one.

We went arount 18.45 and it wasn't too busy. Before we were leaving the place was heaving with hen parties (blurgh - sorry, not my thang).

Take it you didn't find this link worthy of "stickying"???

Lovely spot! I love the food in the Clarion!
    I love a good Asian!:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Coach Lane, now there's an eating house. I have been there a few times and i can fault nothing about the entire place

Service is absolutely fantastic and the waitress' are all well dressed and extremely polite. If you have a question about the menu, they know the answer. (I love that two flavour bread)

I've had the ostrich a few times there for two reasons. If its unusual, I'll give it a try, plus its absolutely fantastic. Lovely and juicy, really rich sauce mmmmmmm.

Its not that cheap to eat there, and I can be a miser when it comes to paying for food when we go out, but that has to be the one place that I would have no problem with paying more for, and tipping staff as well

In all the times I have been there they have not slipped with their service once yet. They win for me every time.:D

• Advertisement

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    (I love that two flavour bread)

I've had the ostrich a few times
    /QUOTE]

A man after my own dinner. :)

We went to Jasmine Thai Restaurant last night!!
    Firstly we loved that we could decide if we wanted to eat in the bar or restaurant. We chose the bar so that the wee man was free to wander around.
    Mr Tulip had the thai red curry with beef, our friend had thai red curry with chicken and unbelievable enough both dishes tasted very different but very tasty. I chose the chicken with garlic and black pepper coz I was sharing with the wee man. That was delicious!! The vegetables that came with it were so nicely cooked, fresh and they had a gorgeous flavour.
    We'll be going again soon for a more extensive tasting session!! Next time a window seat I think!

We went to Jasmine Thai Restaurant last night!!
    Firstly we loved that we could decide if we wanted to eat in the bar or restaurant. We chose the bar so that the wee man was free to wander around.
    Mr Tulip had the thai red curry with beef, our friend had thai red curry with chicken and unbelievable enough both dishes tasted very different but very tasty. I chose the chicken with garlic and black pepper coz I was sharing with the wee man. That was delicious!! The vegetables that came with it were so nicely cooked, fresh and they had a gorgeous flavour.
    We'll be going again soon for a more extensive tasting session!! Next time a window seat I think!

Where is that place please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote: »
    Where is that place please?
    On the riverfront down from the embassy/toffs , is it part of whats called the riverbank pub lads? Went in there today to try it but they didnt start til 5pm but going to check it out soon. Thanks for the tip off or is that whats called the "heads up". :confused::)

tuppence wrote: »
    On the riverfront down from the embassy/toffs , is it part of whats called the riverbank pub lads? Went in there today to try it but they didnt start til 5pm but going to check it out soon. Thanks for the tip off or is that whats called the "heads up". :confused::)

Still not sure where it is!?? Is it where the Riverside hotel was?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Still not sure where it is!?? Is it where the Riverside hotel was?:confused:

Thats it Gillie. The restaurant attached to the hotel.

When you walk in the pub part, it's not really clear where the restaurant is but if you walk up the stairs you'll see dark wooden double doors right at the back. Restaurant is through there. As I said before you can choose whether you want to go to the restaurant or sit in the pub.... I liked that choice.

So is the hotel open again or is it just the pub and restaurant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,033 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just the pub and restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

we went to coach lane and we were very disappointed. The food is not that great at all. its OK but for 26 euro i expect a lot more. The starter (3 scallops)
    was very boring. I had a fillet steak whit salmon and the salmon was over cooked. the fillet steak was well done while I asked for medium rare. The other steak (sirloin) was medium rare but very chewy. The sauce is very salty and I dont think they are freshly prepared. They tasted as if they came out off an instant powder jar!! I certainly didn't think it was very bad but this is just too expensive for what you get. We had lunch in Cork for 12 euro a meal and it was ten times better then this. I think coach lane doesnt live up to expectations. I will not go there again unless the prices are half off what they are now. Instead we go and try the silver apple, mon matre or cromlodge leech!

Sorry to hear that.... very disappointing. I've only ever tried the specials of the day there - never ate from the main menu (which in fairness, seems quite boring.. fish, steak, more fish & steak with fish).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

My favourite restaurant is the Venue in Strandhill. Going there tonight YUM!
    Their garlic cheese potatoes are fab!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Silver33 wrote: »

Where is that in Strandhill? Do they have food everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Silver33

Mrs T - they are up the top of Strandhill next door to Kellys bar.
    Yes they are open every day.

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Where is that in Strandhill? Do they have food everyday?

I told you about that, but of course not over the boards so you didn't hear me? I've heard that the fish is really good there

• Advertisement

I told you about that, but of course not over the boards so you didn't hear me? I've heard that the fish is really good there

You thought you told me...same old, same old.....

So, ehm, when are we going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Silver33 wrote: »

Try their chicken wings-they are to DIE for!! And a huge portion, you can get them as either starter or main course :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Their chicken burgers venue style are scrumptious:D:D

And I agree on the Garlic+Cheese Potatoes and Chicken Wings...top notch!

You thought you told me...same old, same old.....

So, ehm, when are we going?

when ever you ask me out on that date!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Casey ca

Hi all,

Looking for advice...... need a good restaurant in Sligo. Orgainising my sisters hen, so they need to be willing to accommodate 20 women!

Any suggestions?

would you also mind suggesting some pubs?

:pac:

• Advertisement

When we ate in Kudos in Clarion Hotel, there seemed to be a lot of hen parties. They have a big room that had a big hen party going on when we were there.
    Sorry, can't help you with pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Casey ca wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking for advice...... need a good restaurant in Sligo. Orgainising my sisters hen, so they need to be willing to accommodate 20 women!

Any suggestions?

McHughs is always full with hen parties on a Saturday night

Casey ca wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any suggestions?

Foodwise, depends what you're after really... Lemongrass do large groups if you book early. It's Asian food, so it mightn't suit everyone. Mardees on Castle Street is a safe enough bet and reasonably priced.

Pubwise, most hen parties tend to go to places like The Belfry, Fiddlers or McHughs... thery're really the only pubs large enough for big groups. And the night clubs are Toffs and Velvet Room (only open on Saturday nights). I don't like either of them (chart music all night), but Velvet's the better of the two.

Foodwise, depends what you're after really... Lemongrass do large groups if you book early. It's Asian food, so it mightn't suit everyone. Mardees on Castle Street is a safe enough bet and reasonably priced.

Pubwise, most hen parties tend to go to places like The Belfry, Fiddlers or McHughs... thery're really the only pubs large enough for big groups. And the night clubs are Toffs and Velvet Room (only open on Saturday nights). I don't like either of them (chart music all night), but Velvet's the better of the two.

I would second this (but wouldn't go near Fiddlers tbh!).
    You could also try Coach Lane for Grub.

I would second this (but wouldn't go near Fiddlers tbh!).
    You could also try Coach Lane for Grub.

Personally I wouldn't go near Fiddlers, McHughs OR the Belfry.. there's too many hen nights & blokes with bad shirts tucked into their jeans! Fiddlers is the worst of the lot though... a real boggers disco-bar.

Fiddlers is the worst of the lot though... a real boggers disco-bar.

Some of the ppl who frequent it make me think of this pic:
    star-trek-inspirational-poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Personally I wouldn't go near Fiddlers, McHughs OR the Belfry.. there's too many hen nights & blokes with bad shirts tucked into their jeans! Fiddlers is the worst of the lot though... a real boggers disco-bar.

I dont mind McHughs , I dont really go there for the men though so what they wear doesn't bother me :p

gustavo wrote: »
    I dont mind McHughs , I dont really go there for the men though so what they wear doesn't bother me :p

And that's a good point!

Easy up there guys! Ye might not like it, but perhaps others do..

sueme wrote: »
    Easy up there guys! Ye might not like it, but perhaps others do..

Where were you to defend Ballyremote for me earlier in another thread!:eek:
    ;):D

• Advertisement

Where were you to defend Ballyremote for me earlier in another thread!:eek:
    ;):D

Ballywhere?

;)

sueme wrote: »
    Ballywhere?

;)

:(

when ever you ask me out on that date!!

;) Hows about this weekend then darling? ;)

Whenever you decide where you're going for your hen night, be sure to post about it here

...So I can avoid it. Hen Parties = one of my least favourite aspects of this country

;) Hows about this weekend then darling? ;)

Xiney is right! This is so much better then talking. saturday good for you? Its footie on friday;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I was in Coach Lane a while ago and like darealtulip we were a bit disappointed. We were waiting forty minutes for our table! OK, there was hen night taking too long, still complimentary drinks weren't being offered.

There was a lot "off the menu", A lot of the fish wasn't available. Two bottles of wine we ordered weren't in stock.

The food was fine, the meat a little well done for my liking, I like rare meat to be rare. We were with some locals who reckon the menu hadn't changed in years, same as Bianconi's.

The atmosphere was nice, the decor and surroundings very pleasant, deserts were good, expresso's perfect.

Certainly not fine dining, then again its not overly expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 desireland

Would agree that Montemarte is about the best food in Sligo, Altough the French waitstaff can be a little bit unfriendly, Great coffee and sandwiches in Cafe Fleur in o connell street, although I think they only open during the day-time, there always seems to be a big lot in there every lunchtime so they must be doing something right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 iosfra

Not sure if Mardees has been mentioned, it's above the new centra in town. Lovely!

Can't say I agree with Cafe Fleur.

Maybe it has improved (I went when it was still only a few weeks old) but I found the prices exhorbitant as well as unclear (they didn't have any sort of menu/board up, just fancy TVs with scrolling nonsense), the bread stale, the portion of meat & cheese woeful and the salad wilted.

Suppose I could try it again in case they were having an "off" day, but to be quite honest I have not been inclined in the least. Give me cafe society any day - great selection of great food at great prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Tobergal Lane Cafe can be good- pan fried mackerel, with salad and crusty bread washed down with a pint of pale ale, menu can be a bit samey though, they have repainted it and it has a nice mellow feel now.

Advertisement