Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Bubbles08

I would have to say Yeats Tavern or the Manderin Court chinese. Its fab. So so gorgeous. Anyone who goes there has to love it. Proper chinese. yum yum!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 maltesersgirl23

Davis'!!!
    mmmmmm hungry thinking of it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

for a good chinese i would vote on the place out in rosses point. i think its called rose garden. food is really nice. shame about the location. bit far out, but if you are in the area, well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Must say Coach Lane does the trick for me:) Definately not fine dining(doesnt try to be either) but a great,warm rustic place to eat,also does very well for itself.I see some people have been criticising it but for me it holds its place as the best restaurant in the town. Steaks are great I think,some of the best pastas in Sligo too(try the Chicken Fiorentina,you won't regret it) and also like the good variety of specials they have.

On the other hand,when looking for fine dining,I find Montmarte in the Market Yard to be the only place truly one can go to. Not for someone on a budget,but food there is excellent. One bad point is the wait in there. The kitchen seems to be on a never ending go slow and when you are desperately hungry,I tend to become desperatly frustrated. I would reccommend booking an hour before you feel you would want to eat. In most cases I wait for an hour whilst there for my starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

greetings wrote: »
    Must say Coach Lane does the trick for me:) Definately not fine dining(doesnt try to be either) but a great,warm rustic place to eat,also does very well for itself.I see some people have been criticising it but for me it holds its place as the best restaurant in the town. Steaks are great I think,some of the best pastas in Sligo too(try the Chicken Fiorentina,you won't regret it) and also like the good variety of specials they have.

On the other hand,when looking for fine dining,I find Montmarte in the Market Yard to be the only place truly one can go to. Not for someone on a budget,but food there is excellent. One bad point is the wait in there. The kitchen seems to be on a never ending go slow and when you are desperately hungry,I tend to become desperatly frustrated. I would reccommend booking an hour before you feel you would want to eat. In most cases I wait for an hour whilst there for my starter.

mon matre is the same price as coachlane. we got our food really quick and it was lovely, only pretty cold in the restaurant, they should turn that heater up a bit! If your easly cold put your Xmas jumper on!! Any one tried croam leech lodge (did I spell that right?) near castlebaldwin at the lough??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Blue Lagoon (obviously!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Coach Lane wins for me... I've never actually tried anything off their main menu (I'm not big into steaks), but their specials are always excellent. The ostrich fillet in particular. Plus they sell a decent sparkling cab sav wine for around €25.. most restaurants seem to sell only €50 bottles and upwards, and usually list them incorrectly as champagnes. Good service too.

Was there tonight with 3 friends & left the place not too impressed. I'd a Goats Cheese Parcel to start .. though if it was goats cheese in the pastry, then I'm a hunchback lesbian turk - it was marscapone! I was disgusted. It tasted Ok, but if I wanted bland, I'd have asked my mam to cook for me.

My main was Lamb in some kind of reduction jus thingy that allegedly had mint & wild mushroom. Well, the mushrooms hadn't been wild since probably before the recession as they were dried mushrooms and the mint must've went missing along with the FAS funding towards Castlebar's "meals on wheels" as it was non-existent.

I shared a dessert of a pear tart... it was essentially a thin wafer base with a huge dollop of cream & a few little slivers of pear wrapped round the cream mountain. "E" for effort & "D" for delivery.

The other diners were non too plussed either - complaints about the Gnocchi being bland, the fish of the day being overly salted & the Surf & Turf looked like something you'd see in an episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.. it arrived with a king prawn skewered into a tiny bit of steak with a piece of salmon sat beside it. No sauce either.

I dunno - it seems that the recession's hit their kitchen... the food itself wasn't too bad, but it used to be a hell of a lot better & if the prices haven't changed, then the standard of food should reflect that.

The service was still good & even after getting a free bottle of wine for our complaints, I'd think three times before spending my cash there any time soon.

we were there before the recession and it was pretty much the same, over priced pub grub is all I can say. It should be around the € 15 mark for a meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Was there tonight with 3 friends & left the place not too impressed. I'd a Goats Cheese Parcel to start .. though if it was goats cheese in the pastry, then I'm a hunchback lesbian turk - it was marscapone! I was disgusted. It tasted Ok, but if I wanted bland, I'd have asked my mam to cook for me.

My main was Lamb in some kind of reduction jus thingy that allegedly had mint & wild mushroom. Well, the mushrooms hadn't been wild since probably before the recession as they were dried mushrooms and the mint must've went missing along with the FAS funding towards Castlebar's "meals on wheels" as it was non-existent.

I shared a dessert of a pear tart... it was essentially a thin wafer base with a huge dollop of cream & a few little slivers of pear wrapped round the cream mountain. "E" for effort & "D" for del

The other diners were non too plussed either - complaints about the Gnocchi being bland, the fish of the day being overly salted & the Surf & Turf looked like something you'd see in an episode of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares.. it arrived with a king prawn skewered into a tiny bit of steak with a piece of salmon sat beside it. No sauce either.

I dunno - it seems that the recession's hit their kitchen... the food itself wasn't too bad, but it used to be a hell of a lot better & if the prices haven't changed, then the standard of food should reflect that.

The service was still good & even after getting a free bottle of wine for our complaints, I'd think three times before spending my cash there any time soon.

I was watching a documentary last night about Eritrea and the suffering of little innocents, some of who haven't had a decent meal in all of their little lives. No decent living quarters, no clean water, threats of violence and intimidation in the air all of the time..... and then I read this post the first thing this morning and I feel like getting sick. What a vile and unjust world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I shared a dessert of a pear tart... it was essentially a thin wafer base with a huge dollop of cream & a few little slivers of pear wrapped round the cream mountain. "E" for effort & "D" for delivery.

Well fair play for complaining in first place I am a disaster for not complaining when out.
    I was in a little place in Cavan Town a few weeks ago, pretty much the same menu as the Bistro, jam packed and food / service were excellent, two starters mains wine and one dessert for 60 euro. Best value I found in a long time I dont think we have anything like that here.

• Advertisement

Where does everyone go for lunch in town when eating out ?

I was in Yeats cafe not long ago was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

bennyc wrote: »
    Somewhat outside town.. but Margaret's Cafe in Finisklin does the best fry in town I reckon.. every so often I treat myself at lunch to the small breakfast in there - rasher, fried egg, sausage, hash brown, beans, toast, glass of orange juice and a tea / coffee for €5.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was surprised to get turned away from the Bistro Bianconi the other day...I know it says they are closed from 2.30-5.30pm, but the door was open and there were people in there eating and staff going around.

So we ended up having to go to Yeats in Drumcliffe...not that I'm complaining because it was lovely:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

bennyc wrote: »

I was in Yeats cafe not long ago was very impressed.

Was that Yeats cafe beside the waterfront? If so, we must've gone on the chef's off day.... We usually opt for the sushi in Sakura...... mmmm I feel a craving coming on! If you don't like sushi or are too chicken to try it :P they also have Hong Kong Style beef paninis that are really scrummy.

basquille wrote: »
    Somewhat outside town.. but Margaret's Cafe in Finisklin does the best fry in town I reckon.. every so often I treat myself at lunch to the small breakfast in there - rasher, fried egg, sausage, hash brown, beans, toast, glass of orange juice and a tea / coffee for €5.25.

I should have read that before now, I am just back from Daveys filling station with my feast for the desk. Any chicken filled roll, bap , wrap or sambo with salad , coffee or drink and crisps for 4.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Shells cafe in strandhill or (believe it or not) 4 lanterns do lovely fry ups

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I seriously miss Tobergal Lane Cafe :(

Lovely place for lunch.

Jabby wrote: »
    I was watching a documentary last night about Eritrea and the suffering of little innocents, some of who haven't had a decent meal in all of their little lives. No decent living quarters, no clean water, threats of violence and intimidation in the air all of the time..... and then I read this post the first thing this morning and I feel like getting sick. What a vile and unjust world we live in.

True, but it's very easy for people to sit back in their armchairs in their cosy houses & feel sympathetic for those in the 3rd world. It's another thing to actually do something about it.

I bet ya that by lunchtime, you'll be thinking more about your stomach than the plight of the suffering masses. An unjust world indeed.

Now, what's on the menu? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

was in davis valentines night and still good as ever food and service.

My better half tells me that the food in Hardigans is pretty decent & reasonably priced - and she's harder to please than me, so that's saying something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

True, but it's very easy for people to sit back in their armchairs in their cosy houses & feel sympathetic for those in the 3rd world. It's another thing to actually do something about it.

I bet ya that by lunchtime, you'll be thinking more about your stomach than the plight of the suffering masses. An unjust world indeed.

Now, what's on the menu? ;)

Don't take it personally. All of us could do more, I know that.

I did find it amusing though that you were crying over the decadent menu in Coach Lane...God love you..No sauce eh...My God!

Jabby wrote: »
    Don't take it personally. All of us could do more, I know that.

I did find it amusing though that you were crying over the decadent menu in Coach Lane...God love you..No sauce eh...My God!

for that price I would expect a bit of sauce! I felt like eating in a third world restaurant there!!! that's how bad!! just kidding!!:D

for that price I would expect a bit of sauce! I felt like eating in a third world restaurant there!!! that's how bad!! just kidding!!:D

Not even a bit of ketchup - it was like being in a really poor country, like... em... oh yeah, we are in a really poor country. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

dont mean to drag up an old thread or whatever but was wondering does anyone know whats happening with Lemongrass in the Clarence.

It has been closed all of April for staff holidays apparently and when i called the clarence they have no idea when it is re-opening again. I have tried the lemongrass website but it is down.

I have been waitin for them to re-open as i am having Rendang withdrawal symptoms.........................bad sweating, aches, shakes etc

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Had a breakfast in the Clarence there recently, wasnt great.

Tried The Venue in Strandhill beside my house, very nice indeed.

Also was in Bella Vista, beautiful Sea Bream really well cooked but at Eur 21 was a bit saucy in fairness considering it came with Mash, Brocolli and Carrot albeit crunchy and well cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

the venue is well good. addicted to the chicken wings der. handy as only a five min walk from the house to get em.

dunno about breakfast in the clarence but if/when lemongrass opens up you should try it out as it is savage tasty.

hungry now..................

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I live 5 minutes walk from The Venue as well. Just moved to Strandhill

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Has anyone tried the new Chinese in Ballisodare - Justins?
    Very impressed I must say.
    Massive take away menu, nice cafe downstairs and restaurant upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Didn't even realise that there was a Chinese in Ballisodare.

Hope it's doing well,must try it sometime:)

• Advertisement

Apart from the spare ribs, the Chinese in Coolaney is reallt cr*p - most of the dishes look & taste the same... bland, bland, bland.

Advertisement