Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RazzaMataz

Can I pick your brains?

I'm bringing a group of 50 postgrad students to Sligo for the night in September (god help me). I need to find somewhere to take them for dinner, for €20 ahead or under. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hmmm...I'd say contact one of the hotels and ask them if they'd do a set menu for 20 quid a head. The Radisson or Sligo Park maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

50! Wow
    If you ring around a few of the places in the town, they're normally happy to provide a good price for larger groups, but at this size you'll most likely want to go to the hotels. There is:
    Sligo Park Hotel
    Sligo Southern Hotel
    The Glasshouse (town centre)
    Sligo Radisson SAS (out of town a bit)
    Sligo city hotel (bit smaller may not handle 50 well)
    The Clarence (Rumours of being pricey and going downhill though I've never been)
    There are more outside the town, though from what I know the prices outside the town are likely to be higher for this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

We're looking to tidy up this thread a bit, as its been pointed out that its getting a bit difficult to follow at times. So as a suggestion or a bit of help from you foodies, maybe if you could think of some of your favourite restrarants or cafes in Sligo (not takeaways as seperate thread for them), and write a very short review on them.

If you could includ location, opening hours, type of food served, and a very short review, about 100 words or so. We will then includ them on the first post of the thread, as a quick reference for people looking for places to eat.

Will try and go through some of the exsisting posts my self at some point to try and start things off.

Thanks.

Silver Apple
    Location:Across from the train/bus station,2 minutes walk from town centre.

Opening hourse:5 o'clock onwards. They do food in the bar underneath though (same kitchen) from 12-6

Price:Good value for good food,they do an early bird menu from 5-7 as well as a la carte. Mains range from about 15 onwards.

Overall:Very good value for money. Excellent food which isn't your run of the mill upscale bar food like plenty of restaurants in Sligo. Reccommended are the crab parcel for starter and the Basque chicken main. Desserts are excellent and reasonably priced.

• Advertisement

Cheers Urbansea. Exactly the kinda thing we're after.

;)

Oh shucks

Other people can give overviews as well for the same restrarant, giving a range of opinons for one restrarant within a glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I find upstairs in The Source particularly good, an Irish twist on Tapas! I love the way they source local produce, very good for the area. Spent a few hours on my own there a while ago, had Lissadel oysters (would have preferred red wine vinegar and shallots with them instead of the usual Tabasco), then I had beef carpaccio (local Hereford herd), well aged, well cut, then I had local cheeses with a tomatoe chutney. I had couple of glasses of house wine. Spent a few hours there on a window seat enjoying the view, the food and some live music. Great value for the time I spent there, the atmoshpere, service and the quality of food. Espresso was good too!

You're lucky to have it! Great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 RazzaMataz

wolf99 wrote: »
    50! Wow
    If you ring around a few of the places in the town, they're normally happy to provide a good price for larger groups, but at this size you'll most likely want to go to the hotels.

Thanks for the help, I've decided they can organise their own feckin dinner now! Based on this thread I'll be off to the Silver Apple myself I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Yeats Tavern Restaurant (Davis's)

Location: Drumcliff Co. Sligo, along the main Sligo to Donegal road (N15). Just past Yeats grave on left hand side from Sligo side.

Opening hours: Mon-Sat 10:30am-9:30pm
    Sunday- 12pm-9pm

Price: Lunch menu (up til 3pm) €10.40 per each main course.

Overall: Great value for money imo. Very reasonably priced for food you get. Never manages to disappoint. Nice atmosphere in the restaurant and food very nice. Restaurant always seems to be busy but never waiting too long to be seated or for your order. Staff friendly and helpful. Bar also does cocktails if that's what you want. Plenty of parking available too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Just have to give massive praise to the Yeats Tavern, we were there tonight to celebrate my daughter's Junior Cert. results and look what they did for her :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/6148358352/

Glad to hear ye had a good night. Hope she got what she wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

magnumlady wrote: »
    Just have to give massive praise to the Yeats Tavern, we were there tonight to celebrate my daughter's Junior Cert. results and look what they did for her :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/6148358352/

That's lovely! I worked there a few years ago and its usually girls my age working on the dessert counter so I'm not surprised.

Well done to her. My brother got his JC results too, no A's but no D's either, and he's slightly on the ADHD spectrum so I am absolutely thrilled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Source

Opening hours:

Restaurant
    Mon - Sat 9.30am-9.30pm

Wine Bar
    Tue - Sun from 3pm

Price: Starters €8/9, Mains €17-€20. Menu of the day- 3 courses for €29.

Overall: Having been under-awed with the tapas at the wine bar, I returned to eat at the restaurant & wasn't disappointed in the slightest. The restaurant itself is very tastefully designed with an open plan kitchen as it's centre piece. There's two main chefs cooking for the whole place & they do a terrific job. Both the food & wine here is excellent - simple, well cooked & nicely seasoned dishes.. the liver pate is exceptionally good... my new favourite restaurant in Sligo!

The menu of the day is great value at just under €30. Book in advance as they were turning away lots of customers on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Worth a mention..

Trá Ban is opening up a second restaurant in town - Eala Bhan - in Rockwood Parade where Caesar's and the short-lived Conrad's Kitchen & Bistro was (here's hoping it has better luck!).

It'll be open from Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

Well folks, it doesn't matter that you know, or think you know, because a little bird told me that the eating experience in Sligo town is soon to be revolutionised with the arrival of something different and very special in the Heart of the town. I aint talking a new BK or some other tired crap.

I mean all new.. and full on. :cool:

Dunlaffin wrote: »
    Well folks, it doesn't matter that you know, or think you know, because a little bird told me that the eating experience in Sligo town is soon to be revolutionised with the arrival of something different and very special in the Heart of the town. I aint talking a new BK or some other tired crap.

Is it the new Bistro Bianconi? They're moving from O'Connell Street to Tobergall Lane in the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Basq wrote: »
    Worth a mention..

Trá Ban is opening up a second restaurant in town - Eala Bhan - in Rockwood Parade where Caesar's and the short-lived Conrad's Kitchen & Bistro was (here's hoping it has better luck!).

It'll be open from Thursday.

Cool I'd wondered what was going on there... hopefully it will provide a better sequel to Cesar's brilliant lasagna than Conrad's attempt...

Also in foodie news, Bistro Bianconi is to move around the corner to the old Beezies for more seating, meaning a large space will be left in O'Connell st, hopefully to be filled by something just as good

Hah Irish stew beat me to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Dunlaffin wrote: »

Go on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dunlaffin

Go on...

Cant.... but believe me when I say I am not wrong on this one. It will start soon but I can only say that by this time next year you will know. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Gulliver's is reopening in Sligo!!!!

According to the Champion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Truley wrote: »
    Gulliver's is reopening in Sligo!!!!

According to the Champion...

What a blast from the past.

I doubt it will be the same experience as when I was in it as a wee buck

Is that the place that used to be in where McHugh's was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Is that the place that used to be in where McHugh's was?

Yes. I'm a bit young to remember it really, but it was a real Sligo institution of its time. I do recall placemats that you could colour in!

Was that not run by the fella who has the Bistro? I don't remember it either,but it's funny,mum was only on about that place the other week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magnumlady viewpost.gif
    We had lunch in Bellavista a while back and I wasn't impressed. It was OK but that was about it. We were also stuck in a table to the side and there wasn't a whole lot of room to get in and out.

I always found that with the BellaVista too. Food was always OK, never great or anything beyond. Last time we were there they under boooked the table for us and we ended up nearly elbow to elbow cramming around tables trying to fit in.

Unfortunately it seems that yet again they have changed the management in Bellavista. The quality had been so variable but the new management brought on a vast improvement and the quality remained constant.
    This I know as I was eating there every second week or so.

Its now back to the original management but hopefully the higher standards will be retained. I always found the staff to be great there too, hopefully they too will be retained.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Went to Eala Bhan for lunch today... cannot recommend it enough!

For starter, had the 'Pan seared Seabass with Creamy Risotto and Citrus Oil' and had for 'Roast Irish Sirloin of Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Potato, Tabacco Onion and Roast Gravy' for main course.

Absolutely delicious.. and fantastic value for money (€18 for Main Course and Starter) for the quality of food you're given.

Really hope it does well as it deserves it, and it's great to see food of this caliber available in Sligo town (a risotto with pan-seared seabass.. can't see that appearing on a Sunday Lunch menu in The Embassy anytime soon! ;))!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

To be honest the only truely lovely dinner Ive had was in the Venue... but that was a while back, have ventured into the Bistro a few times, mainly for the early bird prices! :p

Tobergal Lane is turning into quite the continental part of town, with the Bistro moving there, and the French Market already there as well as the polish hairdressers and and the polish food shop... now all they need is for a belgian chocolate shop in the place where BB's occupied!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Basq wrote: »
    Went to Eala Bhan for lunch today... cannot recommend it enough!

For starter, had the 'Pan seared Seabass with Creamy Risotto and Citrus Oil' and had for 'Roast Irish Sirloin of Beef with Yorkshire Pudding, Roast Potato, Tabacco Onion and Roast Gravy' for main course.

Absolutely delicious.. and fantastic value for money (€18 for Main Course and Starter) for the quality of food you're given.

Really hope it does well as it deserves it, and it's great to see food of this caliber available in Sligo town (a risotto with pan-seared seabass.. can't see that appearing on a Sunday Lunch menu in The Embassy anytime soon! ;))!

Can you tell me where this place is please and was it busy?

Advertisement