Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Always nice to see Dubs being commemorated outside the Pale!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Always nice to see Dubs being commemorated outside the Pale!

Can't let that one go!

"Soon after William's birth the family relocated to Sligo to stay with her extended family, and the young poet came to think of the area as his childhood and spiritual home"

Can't let that one go!

"Soon after William's birth the family relocated to Sligo to stay with her extended family, and the young poet came to think of the area as his childhood and spiritual home"

My spiritual home is Mars. Doesn't make me a martian!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

Another vote for coach lane. Love the stake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Brianb8802 wrote: »
    Another vote for coach lane. Love the stake!!
    The steak and "chips" (or more precisely, 2 potatoes cut into four and served under the steak) is top-notch alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Brianb8802

Ah spot on. Feel hungry now, might be making a reservation for tomorrow evening after the Munster match;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Reporting back from the Silver Apple!!

Atmosphere: 2.5/5
    I don't know if the booths/decor scheme fits this particular restaurant, knotty pine booths don't really scream "Fine French Cuisine". However, I like to sit in booths because they're comfortable, so I didn't mind too much. The exposed stone, on the other hand, is lovely.

Some of the songs they had playing were a bit on the cheesy side (think French accordian music - kind of like when you go to a North American Irish style pub and they're playing deedlyeye music) but most of it wasn't bad.

The floor bounces when the waitress walks past, which can be a bit annoying.

Overall, these things wouldn't bother me in another restaurant, but when you're going for high quality food, you expect the atmosphere to match.

Service: 5/5
    The waitress was extremely friendly and helpful. She didn't rush us at all, we took our time and had a nice, leisurely meal. Best service we've had in Sligo, by an absolute longshot. Food arrival was prompt, of course we were the first to arrive (at 6pm) so the chef didn't have too many orders to contend with.

Food: 4/5
    The menu selection is a good mix - there are pasta dishes, pork, beef, lamb, chicken, seafood. There is a "catch of the day" and a "daily special" - today's were a shellfish trio and lamb liver. The soup was NOT vegetable! It was French Onion. There are also many starters, deserts and wines. Also, there is what looks to be an excellent kid's section.

Mr Xiney and I dined on the following:

Caesar Salad (Shared Starter) - close to perfect! Would have liked a wedge of lemon on the side, but that's personal preference. The dressing was very nice. Good size - quite enough to share. Nice large shreds of a good quality parmesean, and four nice strips of some kind of smoked meat that I forget the name of! (Tasty stuff though)

Mr Xiney's Main: 10 Oz. Sirloin Steak with mushroom duxelle and fries. Sauce au Poivre. He actually didn't get the mushroom duxelle because he doesn't like mushrooms :) The fries were frozen shoestring, but they were fresh out of the fryer which makes up for that. Mr Xiney reports that his steak was tender, juicy, and with an average size rind (which he personally does not care for but expected all the same). He enjoyed it but his preference is actually for thicker, chargrilled steaks - which is not the French way of course!

Xiney's Main: Braised Pork Belly with champ and spiced apple sauce. Very nice, found the pork belly a bit fatty but I've never had pork belly before so maybe that's the name of the game. Interesting enough anyway, and all that fat makes for a very tender piece of meat. Good portion of champ, which was lovely. The winner here was the spiced apple sauce, which was really fantastic.

We also had a plate of veggies (jullienned beets, jullienned carrots and broccoli) on the side - again, very nice. Mr Xiney remarked that it was the nicest broccoli he'd ever tasted in his life, I remarked that I agreed but it was probably cooked in plenty of butter and I wasn't about to start preparing it that way!!

Wine: They have a good selection. We're not big drinkers so we went for their house recommended half bottle of red - Argentina. If the rest of their wine list's descriptions are as accurate as their description of this one, I'm impressed. It actually was a very nice bottle of wine, and at 11 euro you can't really go wrong. We're not connoisseurs, but we did enjoy it.

Desert: We shared a creme brulee, which is kind of my thing... if I'm having desert and there's a creme brulee available (which often determines whether I'm having desert or not!) I'll generally go for it. This one was beautiful. I don't know if it's because it's been about 10 months since I've had creme brulee or what, but it really hit the spot. There was a lovely thick crust on it and the creme was still cold, which means they did it right with a blow torch and not under the broiler. Probably could have had one each (they're small) but we were feeling like little piggies anyway after indulging so much!

Also, the coffee was from illy and came with a square of dark chocolate :D

Altogether, a truly relaxing, completely enjoyable experience. Will go again! (But not too soon, I feel like a fatted calf)

Holy hell.. very thorough and thought out review Xiney.

Not a huge Caesar salad fan.. just doesn't satisfy me. Salads for me need to be loaded high with plenty of "non-traditional salad" elements like ham or chicken. But in saying that, I am partial to a Caesar Salad but wouldn't particularly know what would be considered a "good" Caesar Salad as I tend to just inhale salad.. and only comment afterwards as to whether it filled me or not, and that I'm ready for the main course! :D

Not a big pork fan so can't really comment on yours. I always find pork fatty.. I'll have pork chops but that's where I draw the line.

But Mr Xiney's steak sounded nice but shoestring chips are unforgiveable in my books nowadays.

The wine can be quite important with a meal.. and you got an 11 euro bottle of wine? That was very good.. probably wasn't more than buying it in Tesco. Last time I was out in the Mandarin Court they cheapest bottle was 20 euro. But remember going was a lovely Pinot Grigio around the 22 - 25 euro mark. Really does compliment the meal.

As for dessert, Creme Brulee (NOW YOU'RE TALKING!).. my favourite dessert but you really to try the one in Coach Lane. Someone can probably elaborate on this but the one in Coach Lane is a Rhubard & something Creme Brulee but it absolutely delicious.

Illy is indeed the best coffee available.. but a bit on the pricey side for about 6 euro for a 300g tin in Tesco. Might see if I can order it cheaper online in bulk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Xiney, What a great report! (No, I wasn't very sad and waited up for your reply.....:o)

Sounded rather nice and I might just go right now and tell Mr tulip about it. Did you happen to notice if there was chocolate mousse in the desserts?
    I might even just go along to check out how child friendly they are - for research purposes of course..... ;)

I think that's how the reports should look in the "sticky" When are you going to Lemongrass?

The wine prices were very reasonable - but I would like to again point out that that was for the half bottle. The full bottles were around 20 euro and up, if I remember correctly. Great prices.

Entrees were mainly just under 20 euro with a couple just over.

Starters were from 4.50 to 9 or 10 euro, if I remember correctly...

Deserts were mainly around the 6.50 euro mark. Sorry Tulip, I saw "Creme Brulee" at the top of the list and stopped reading :o. 'Squille, I'll have to take on board your recommendation of the Coach Lane Creme Brulee, I think I was simply far too stuffed when I went there to even consider desert. Also I think I may have been concerned at the price of the bottle of wine we ordered there. It will be a while before we go anyway, expensive place! Have to start thinking up an excuse now :D (After I come up with one for the Lemongrass, that is...)

• Advertisement

Madge wrote: »
    Well I still don't agree with ye that it was pub grub, to me it was a fine dining experience but tbh I don't eat out a lot. The last time was late 2006.
    I heard the Cromleach Lodge is good but it's very expensive.

we heard very good stories about it aswell, expensive is not a problem if the food is brilliant and exciting.

Thistle here .... that was tulip above...can you see the difference in typing technique? :p
    Has anybody eaten in the Sinergie restaurant and Kudos bar at Clarion Hotel? If so what did you think of it? Just checked out the menus on Hotel website - looks good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Has anyone tried Langs Bar & Restaurant in Grange?
    I get good reports about it.

Essexboy wrote: »

I've heard good things about it too, but I don't drive so chances are nil I'll get to try it.

Although, I have tried Bella Vista Pizza at Strandhill - I liked the food better than the Bistro, easily. And the atmosphere and service are LEAPS ahead. Loved it - very very reasonable and they're extremely kid friendly (they'll do any meal for your kid for 4 euro or something, I think, in a small portion - no kids myself so I didn't pay too much attention)

I'd love to go back there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Essexboy wrote: »

Was there a couple of times, food really delicious I got a lovely tomato-ey chicken dish and the boyf had steak, I tasted it and it was mouth- watering!

I had dinner on the way back from Knock Airport in Yeats County Inn, Curry, yesterday (In a previous post I confused it with Yeats Tavern / Davis - Doh! Wrong road entirely!!)...

Anyhow - decent food. I went for one of the specials of the day, Roast Loin of Pork at €11. The serving was MASSIVE.. far too big for me, but was decent enough. The pork was lovely & came on a bed of stuffing & smothered in gravy. The accompanying mash & veg though, were quite bland... boiled & mashed carrot / turnip mix, boiled cabbage & boiled spuds, all with zero seasoning added. I left most of them, & ate half the missus dinner!

She had a Beef & Veg Stirfry with a soy sauce, all on a bed of rice & noodles (half a bowl of each!). Again, another huge portion... cost around a tenner & it was really tasty. Perfectly cooked steak pieces, nice crunchy veg & a really tasty sauce with a nice hint of chilli.

The menu itself looked pretty good - not too expensive either with most dishes (bar steaks) coasting less than €15.

I'd eat there again, but would avoid the "sunday dinner" style specials. Didn't have starters or desert & with the size of the portions of the main course, there's no way I'd fit either in!

After spending 3 hours in Gatwick departures lounge, sitting on the floor (along with another couple of thousand stranded passengers), it was nice to get a good feed!

Had to search for this thread....

We went to Kudos last night!

We had to search a bit to find out where it was in the hotel. It was a relaxed atmosphere.
    Service was fast, food came very quickly!
    It's basically the same idea as Lemongrass but with less choice, great food for the price. I had Crying Tiger and it did bring tears to my eyes - I can usually eat very hot food and this was VERY HOT! Mr Tulip had Beef teryaki which was also very tasty (although I couldn't really taste too much after a fork full of mine). The wee man had sea bass in a banana leaf and he ate it all up!
    Child friendly, chat with the kitchen staff coz the wee man loves kitchens and watching people cook - prefers helping but they weren't THAT child friendly.:D
    Sorry folks, didn't look at the wine choice (I don't drink) and had quick look at desserts but we didn't order one.

We went arount 18.45 and it wasn't too busy. Before we were leaving the place was heaving with hen parties (blurgh - sorry, not my thang).

Take it you didn't find this link worthy of "stickying"???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I had dinner on the way back from Knock Airport in Yeats County Inn, Curry, yesterday (In a previous post I confused it with Yeats Tavern / Davis - Doh! Wrong road entirely!!)...

Anyhow - decent food. I went for one of the specials of the day, Roast Loin of Pork at €11. The serving was MASSIVE.. far too big for me, but was decent enough. The pork was lovely & came on a bed of stuffing & smothered in gravy. The accompanying mash & veg though, were quite bland... boiled & mashed carrot / turnip mix, boiled cabbage & boiled spuds, all with zero seasoning added. I left most of them, & ate half the missus dinner!

She had a Beef & Veg Stirfry with a soy sauce, all on a bed of rice & noodles (half a bowl of each!). Again, another huge portion... cost around a tenner & it was really tasty. Perfectly cooked steak pieces, nice crunchy veg & a really tasty sauce with a nice hint of chilli.

The menu itself looked pretty good - not too expensive either with most dishes (bar steaks) coasting less than €15.

I'd eat there again, but would avoid the "sunday dinner" style specials. Didn't have starters or desert & with the size of the portions of the main course, there's no way I'd fit either in!

After spending 3 hours in Gatwick departures lounge, sitting on the floor (along with another couple of thousand stranded passengers), it was nice to get a good feed!

Massive difference between that place and Davis's!:D

I've been there a few times.

On three seperate occasions i've left because there was nobody to take our order and it wasn't even busy!!

Good to hear they are getting their act together!

That said on the few occasions that I have eaten there it's been grand!

Had to search for this thread....

We went to Kudos last night!

We had to search a bit to find out where it was in the hotel. It was a relaxed atmosphere.
    Service was fast, food came very quickly!
    It's basically the same idea as Lemongrass but with less choice, great food for the price. I had Crying Tiger and it did bring tears to my eyes - I can usually eat very hot food and this was VERY HOT! Mr Tulip had Beef teryaki which was also very tasty (although I couldn't really taste too much after a fork full of mine). The wee man had sea bass in a banana leaf and he ate it all up!
    Child friendly, chat with the kitchen staff coz the wee man loves kitchens and watching people cook - prefers helping but they weren't THAT child friendly.:D
    Sorry folks, didn't look at the wine choice (I don't drink) and had quick look at desserts but we didn't order one.

We went arount 18.45 and it wasn't too busy. Before we were leaving the place was heaving with hen parties (blurgh - sorry, not my thang).

Take it you didn't find this link worthy of "stickying"???

Lovely spot! I love the food in the Clarion!
    I love a good Asian!:eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Coach Lane, now there's an eating house. I have been there a few times and i can fault nothing about the entire place

Service is absolutely fantastic and the waitress' are all well dressed and extremely polite. If you have a question about the menu, they know the answer. (I love that two flavour bread)

I've had the ostrich a few times there for two reasons. If its unusual, I'll give it a try, plus its absolutely fantastic. Lovely and juicy, really rich sauce mmmmmmm.

Its not that cheap to eat there, and I can be a miser when it comes to paying for food when we go out, but that has to be the one place that I would have no problem with paying more for, and tipping staff as well

In all the times I have been there they have not slipped with their service once yet. They win for me every time.:D

• Advertisement

mcgowan.b wrote: »
    (I love that two flavour bread)

I've had the ostrich a few times
    /QUOTE]

A man after my own dinner. :)

We went to Jasmine Thai Restaurant last night!!
    Firstly we loved that we could decide if we wanted to eat in the bar or restaurant. We chose the bar so that the wee man was free to wander around.
    Mr Tulip had the thai red curry with beef, our friend had thai red curry with chicken and unbelievable enough both dishes tasted very different but very tasty. I chose the chicken with garlic and black pepper coz I was sharing with the wee man. That was delicious!! The vegetables that came with it were so nicely cooked, fresh and they had a gorgeous flavour.
    We'll be going again soon for a more extensive tasting session!! Next time a window seat I think!

We went to Jasmine Thai Restaurant last night!!
    Firstly we loved that we could decide if we wanted to eat in the bar or restaurant. We chose the bar so that the wee man was free to wander around.
    Mr Tulip had the thai red curry with beef, our friend had thai red curry with chicken and unbelievable enough both dishes tasted very different but very tasty. I chose the chicken with garlic and black pepper coz I was sharing with the wee man. That was delicious!! The vegetables that came with it were so nicely cooked, fresh and they had a gorgeous flavour.
    We'll be going again soon for a more extensive tasting session!! Next time a window seat I think!

Where is that place please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Gillie wrote: »
    Where is that place please?
    On the riverfront down from the embassy/toffs , is it part of whats called the riverbank pub lads? Went in there today to try it but they didnt start til 5pm but going to check it out soon. Thanks for the tip off or is that whats called the "heads up". :confused::)

tuppence wrote: »
    On the riverfront down from the embassy/toffs , is it part of whats called the riverbank pub lads? Went in there today to try it but they didnt start til 5pm but going to check it out soon. Thanks for the tip off or is that whats called the "heads up". :confused::)

Still not sure where it is!?? Is it where the Riverside hotel was?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Gillie wrote: »
    Still not sure where it is!?? Is it where the Riverside hotel was?:confused:

Thats it Gillie. The restaurant attached to the hotel.

When you walk in the pub part, it's not really clear where the restaurant is but if you walk up the stairs you'll see dark wooden double doors right at the back. Restaurant is through there. As I said before you can choose whether you want to go to the restaurant or sit in the pub.... I liked that choice.

So is the hotel open again or is it just the pub and restaurant?

Just the pub and restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

we went to coach lane and we were very disappointed. The food is not that great at all. its OK but for 26 euro i expect a lot more. The starter (3 scallops)
    was very boring. I had a fillet steak whit salmon and the salmon was over cooked. the fillet steak was well done while I asked for medium rare. The other steak (sirloin) was medium rare but very chewy. The sauce is very salty and I dont think they are freshly prepared. They tasted as if they came out off an instant powder jar!! I certainly didn't think it was very bad but this is just too expensive for what you get. We had lunch in Cork for 12 euro a meal and it was ten times better then this. I think coach lane doesnt live up to expectations. I will not go there again unless the prices are half off what they are now. Instead we go and try the silver apple, mon matre or cromlodge leech!

Advertisement