Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Obviously cause you can rearrange the letters to make another word :)

I've 2 seven letter ones... Bolster and Bolters. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Mods, could we maybe have an Eating out in Sligo "sticky" thread? It seems a popular topic and we even have visitors coming in to ask advice about where to eat. People could post if they've just eaten somewhere, tasty food, good service, kid friendly etc. etc. It might save getting threads over and over again about eating out.
    Everybody seems to like talking about and going out for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mods, could we maybe have an Eating out in Sligo "sticky" thread?
    Yeah, I'll try and take an hour or two at the weekend and compile up a list of hotels / restaurants (etc) for a sticky thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Coach Lane is absolutely lovely. Would that I were made of money! (And had the metabolism of a 16 year old boy...)

Really enjoyed the food and atmosphere at Mardee's restaurant as well. Far more reasonable than Coach Lane.

We went to the Bistro once. The service was absolutely appalling, and I complained to the manager, who was obviously unused to dealing with customer complaints. We haven't been back since. The food isn't worth the prices (it's good but they aren't expensive ingredients - more than a rip off) and the experience we had has completely put me off it.

Looking forward to trying the Lemongrass - possibly will this Friday to celebrate my new job? (shameless delight at that!)

Loathe The Bistro myself for so many reasons.

The most recent being a few months back. I went just before 6pm on a quiet Thursday evening with girlfriend. We were due to go to Tommy Tiernan in The Hawk's Well at 8pm so we had plenty of time as we had our tickets booked and all that.

Took them 15 minutes (after sitting us down) to take our order (fair enough we did get a good look at the menu and all that). A further 25 - 30 minutes to get our starters out to us and we were sitting down to eat our main course (pizzas shockingly enough) after 7.30.

Had to actually "wolf" down my food (well, eat it faster than usual) and go up and ask the waitress for the bill.. then rush out the door.

Absolute joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll try and take an hour or two at the weekend and compile up a list of hotels / restaurants (etc) for a sticky thread.

Great idea.
    Wanted to do something similiar during my brief tenure in charge.
    So long as it doesn't descend into a Restaurant bashing guide!

Objective opinions would make it work!

Gillie wrote: »
    Objective opinions would make it work!
    Yep, I can have a critic-like style to it:
    Fiddler's Creek
    Gillie says "great for a bit a steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak!"
    ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Was at Mont Martre two weeks ago and it was'nt as good as it has been in the past. ( the rabbit hit the..!) A few of us felt the same way. The service was very poor too. Still better than the rest though.
    Lemongrass is great for the reasons tulipandthistle were saying.
    I would recommend Riverbank, its up there or maybe meeting Mont Martre standards now. Chef very good, won some awards. Lists the produce and local providers as well. Nice touch. The chef that used to be there is now in Markree castle! (was there at a do at xmas and the food was v nice)
    Yeats taverns' a good little place especially for a lunch, and reasonable priced. (the thai chicken is yum)
    I am afraid Sueme I dont dig Classic India as much as Popadom or the best so far Paprika. (not great atmosphere for sitting in though)
    :)

basquille wrote: »
    Yep, I can have a critic-like style to it:

;)

Gillie's on a Diet!

*Dramatization! May not have happened!

oooh has anyone tried the Silver Apple?

I just remembered I've been meaning to since October...

• Advertisement

Where dat?

down by the station someplace I believe...

I've seen it but I can't place it currently. French Food, new place open only since the summer afaik.

Reporting back after Googlescapade:
    Similar to the above and still in it's infancy "Silver Apple" the new restaurant (evening meals) still bearing the name "The Loft " on the exterior , hearty delicious French inspired food for everyone, including ( a not very French) children's menu, but child friendly. For a more informal atmosphere and distinctively lower prices than the other options. Located directly opposite Sligo bus and train station on the corner of Wolfe Tone Street and ? Lord Edward Street.

From Sligo: Dining Overview - Trip Advisor

In Sligo?

Oh the Loft!!!

Was in it last summer.
    Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I hadn't heard of the Silver Apple, anyone been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I haven't been in that place for years but when I was last there it was lovely.I heard since its changed its name though that its still meant to be very good and tasty.

I forgot to mention earlier in a post that I also think the Lemongrass is one of the best restaurants if Thai food takes your fancy.

Mr. Xiney and I will take a bullet for the team and report back on the Silver Apple.

(squeeee)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I can't wait to try out the Lemongrass restaurant. I've got a taste for Indian food, so I must recommend Paprika on the Pearse Road.
    Xiney wrote: »
    Mr. Xiney and I will take a bullet for the team and report back on the Silver Apple.

(squeeee)
    2 points:

1) I've asked you to address me as "Grandmaster, Fountain of All Knowledge in the Universe". :p

2) I'm going to miss the titanic struggle vs Cobh Ramblers! Boo! :pac:

j/k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Good one Xiney...hope you wont be to much of a harsh critic though as I would love to give it a go,hope it gets your thumbs up:)

• Advertisement

1) I've asked you to address me as "Grandmaster, Fountain of All Knowledge in the Universe". :p

Mods, he's off topic. BAN HIM ><

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ooohh!! Yeatscounty is Mr Xiney! I never knew!

Ahhh cute!

P.S. Are you both in the same room right now, talking online? Thats not so cute....:D

sueme wrote: »
    P.S. Are you both in the same room right now, talking online? Thats not so cute....:D
    They actually only communicate by computer.. they talk to each other over Skype when in the same room.

It's cute.... but disturbing.... although fascinating.... but slightly unnerving... although adorable... but... i'll stop now! ;)

Yes... wasn't there a post by someone a couple days ago talking about how interesting we are?

The fact that we can only communicate via internet will come in handy for you all, as we will have the computers at the ready in the restaurant Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Ooohh!! Yeatscounty is Mr Xiney! I never knew!

Ahhh cute!

The Grandmaster of the universe reference for Mr. Xiney sounds online alright, quirky but cute!:D
    Ah the modern relationship.

*attempts to re-rail thread*

We were actually in Grappa (Rockwood Parade) over the weekend - nice food there as well. They were out of soup, but it was 4 pm. And it was probably vegetable anyway. It's always vegetable here. :mad:

Xiney wrote: »
    They were out of soup, but it was 4 pm. And it was probably vegetable anyway. It's always vegetable here. :mad:
    Just be thankful it wasn't Knorr Quick Soup served in a Mr Men mug! ;)

I have it on good authority (from the girlfriend) that The Belfry serves the best mushrooom soup in town... but they do vary soup and it's mostly vegetable.

I wish I could get a bulletin out to the Sligo restaurants that the vegetable soup situation has gotten entirely out of hand.

Us Irish are very boring and we like our Thick Country Vegetables!
    Some of them are actually in positions of power!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

I lived on soup for about 6 months a couple of years ago. You'll never hear me order it in a restaurant if there's something else on the menu. It's now used as a curse word in my house!

Advertisement