Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Restaurant in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Xiney wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with Cafe Fleur.

Maybe it has improved (I went when it was still only a few weeks old) but I found the prices exhorbitant as well as unclear (they didn't have any sort of menu/board up, just fancy TVs with scrolling nonsense), the bread stale, the portion of meat & cheese woeful and the salad wilted.

Suppose I could try it again in case they were having an "off" day, but to be quite honest I have not been inclined in the least. Give me cafe society any day - great selection of great food at great prices.

I hate the advert for Cafe Fleur, it makes me want to smack my head off the wall........on about palm trees.....wtf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Was in the new restaurant in Cashelgarron last night. It's called 'Henrys' and worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

the henrys are just after leaving the crozon inn.
    it was always good food there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Jabby wrote: »
    Was in the new restaurant in Cashelgarron last night. It's called 'Henrys' and worth a try.

what kind of food and what price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Tobergal Lane Cafe can be good- pan fried mackerel, with salad and crusty bread washed down with a pint of pale ale, menu can be a bit samey though, they have repainted it and it has a nice mellow feel now.

I had to come in and bump this thread as Mr Xiney and I just tried Tobergal Lane Cafe today for the first time.

First of all, it's absolutely LOVELY inside. Really really love the decor, although the outside does it no justice. (It makes me long for the day I get to decorate my own place and do it right instead of the what the crack addled monkey that decorated the house we're renting did.)

ANYWAY I had a goat cheese/spinach/sundried tomato wrap which was just about perfect, the wrap wasn't one of these cheap storebought tortilla things (which I've resigned myself to eating here) and a side salad. It was heavenly, very nicely prepared, wrapped up so no bits fell out, toasted just perfectly. I believe it was 6.95, and worth every penny.

I also had a coffee which was nice and strong. Nothing better than a good cup of coffee, and it came with a little individually wrapped biscuit too! *squee* I'm a sucker for them, what can I say...

Mr Xiney had the mature cheddar and chive sandwich on ploughman's white bread. I tell you, they put a fair whack of cheese in there for 4.50. I'm serious. Massive amount of cheese, and apparently it was lovely too.

The service was very friendly and helpful. Basically, I've found my new favourite lunch spot in Sligo, as the prices aren't much different from Cafe Society but the atmosphere is leaps and bounds ahead of it.

Also, they have some real Irish microbrew beers on tap from Carlow Brewing Co: O'Haras Celtic Stout, Curim Gold Celtic Wheat Beer, Molings Traditional Red Ale.

There's live traditional sessions every Saturday night starting at 10, so we're heading back tonight to try some of the beers!

Lovely spot, really. They need to do something about the outside though, it really never caught my eye. I'm nearly convinced it's my natural aversion to pink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

Love Yeats'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

The Venue in Strandhill. The have a large dining area and a nice bar. They serve a lovely Catfish dish in tomato sauce with rice, very nice. You can also get a small or large portion of spicy chicken wings as a starter, yummy.

Highly recommended if you are out that way....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

DenMan wrote: »
    The Venue in Strandhill. The have a large dining area and a nice bar. They serve a lovely Catfish dish in tomato sauce with rice, very nice. You can also get a small or large portion of spicy chicken wings as a starter, yummy.

Highly recommended if you are out that way....:)

We are still wanting to try The Venue, everybody who talks about it are always raving about it..... one day......

Thanks for the review Xiney, glad to see the thread back on the front page. Could we maybe have this stickied?

To be honest, I don't think this thread is good enough to be stickied.

Perhaps a sticky of restaurant & attraction reviews would be in order, and we can copy some of the posts in here over :)

To be honest, I don't think this thread is good enough to be stickied.

Perhaps a sticky of restaurant & attraction reviews would be in order, and we can copy some of the posts in here over :)

That is an even beter idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wahey!

Looks like King's Chinese Restaurant in Wine Street Car Park has re-opened.. after almost a year closed. Still the best Chinese in Sligo.

we tried the venue in strandhill, good size steak and a good one too! bit over priced for the type of food (really good pub grub) next time I go for mussles though, we had a few with our surf and turf and they were really good!

Did anynoe try the new restaurant above strandbar yet? its called good friends I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Didn't even know there was a new restaurant above the strand bar.

I know the Jade Garden Chinese is above it and also the Triskelll restaurant are above the Strand but I never heard anything about Triskell being closed down.

Somebody better try it out and give us a review....preferably you Xiney because we know how much detail you go into doing your reviews.:)

On another note,I think I know where im going for my takeaway tonight..thats right..Kings Chinese:D:D

My new favourite is the sushi bar!! We were there today with Xiney and we are sooooo happy that she found this little diamond!
    We couldn't decide what to have so the waitress sugested that the chef could do a selection, which was great because we tasted things we might not have gone for.
    We are going to try the restaurant part soon as well :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Is there a restaurant called the Embassy in Sligo town? One of the lads at work was on about it - wondering if anyone else had any experience's with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

its a steakhouse by the river, nice room, ok value, the meat lacks consistency and is indifferent betimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I am glad to read people saying good thing about Amy Chungs new sushi bar she has a lot of pluck for a little woman. Pity it is so small, the food is fantastic try the crispy duck soup noodles or deep fried seaweed.

What about Coach Lane? There were a few glowing reports earlier on in the year - is it still holding the torch?!

I can't stand any sort of fish cooked, nevermind raw :sick:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What about Coach Lane? There were a few glowing reports earlier on in the year - is it still holding the torch?!

A lot would argue that it was the best in town!

Sushi does not equal raw fish. Sashimi equals raw fish.

This cafe (unfortunately) does not do Sashimi :(

(so everything is cooked, and there are plenty of things that don't have fish, the noodles or hong kong style baps for example. You should try the place out, it's excellent!!)

• Advertisement

sushi is not raw fish, the sushi they heave there is wonderfull. the eelsauce is the best. as for couch lane: I thought it was a waste of money. its pub grub for far to much money. liked the venue in strandhill beter and that was queit dear for pub grub! but it was nice and I cant say that frm coach lane.

Sushi does not equal raw fish. Sashimi equals raw fish.

This cafe (unfortunately) does not do Sashimi :(........................................You should try the place out, it's excellent!!)

Which place are you referring to Xiney? - the embassy or coach lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

hi,

i've seen amy chung's sushi bar mentioned. we're heading to sligo tomorrow, would love name and location please. :)

thanks!

hi,

i've seen amy chung's sushi bar mentioned. we're heading to sligo tomorrow, would love name and location please. :)

thanks!

It's beside St.Stephen's Street car park but I'm afraid it's not open on Sunday - much to our disappointment. We were in Sligo town last Sunday and I have to say it was very difficult to get something to eat there, unless you want fast food (barf in my opinion) We ended u driving to the Venue in Strandhill where they serve food from 12.00 till late.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭summerdreamn

thanks, mrs t. i thought that might have been the case, being closed on a sunday :( next time!

thanks, mrs t. i thought that might have been the case, being closed on a sunday :( next time!

yah we try to eat there more aswell but we're busy during the week so that leaves only saturday:( I say it should be open 24/7!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

I'm glad to see that people are becoming a bit more critical about coach lane; the comment about overpriced pub grub is spot on! Went there for a family meal earlier in the year and the service was poor, the food nothing special, and the price a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

There is a new place opening in Collooney Village, which I'm hoping will be nice.

'GUSTO'S' ..... Pizzeria/Take Away in one section (this is open at the monute), and a restaurant in the other section.....pretty big spot by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Sorry darealtulip. I didnt see your question. Henrys have a wide range of food, beautifully cooked and excellent value...Carvery for €9.95. Coach Lane standards and friendly staff but with realistic prices.

You will like it.

rgds,

Jabby

• Advertisement

Jabby wrote: »
    Sorry darealtulip. I didnt see your question. Henrys have a wide range of food, beautifully cooked and excellent value...Carvery for €9.95. Coach Lane standards and friendly staff but with realistic prices.

You will like it.

rgds,

Jabby

sounds like we need to try that soon, thanks for the answer anyway, better late than never;)

Advertisement