Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

• 29-01-2020 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

NCTS have made the decision to discontinue the use of vehicle inspection lifts across the NCTS network with immediate effect until a full condition survey of all lifts is completed. NCTS were recently made aware of a defect with a similar make and model of MAHA lift. Following that information, condition surveys have been instigated. All customers should continue to book and turn up for their NCT as normal. The test will be completed with the omission of the underbody inspection, which will be conducted at a later date when the lifts are returned to use. Customers will incur no additional costs as part of this process. Our priority at this point and time is for the safety of our staff and our customer’s property. We do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Donutz

Must be using the same type of lifts as they do in the north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Donutz wrote: »
    Must be using the same type of lifts as they do in the north.

Yep, MAHA ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What was the defect found?

Is there a risk of failure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just got this off facey.

Hard to make this up.

What was the defect found?

Is there a risk of failure?

Cracks in the lifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

every used car dealer in the country has just booked every heap of under rusted sh*te in to be done next week.

every used car dealer in the country has just booked every heap of under rusted sh*te in to be done next week.

Stage 1&2 can be completed and the cars will have to return to do stage 3(as a free retest) when new lifts have been fitted.

So that plan wouldn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

michellie wrote: »
    Stage 1&2 can be completed and the cars will have to return to do stage 3(as a free retest) when new lifts have been fitted.

So that plan wouldn't work.

I can confirm that. Sitting outside the NCT centre at the moment. My car just finished the test and passed everything, but the lift inspection wasn't done. So I have to return at a later date for that.

No idea if I'll be contacted or if I have to keep checking their website and make a booking myself.

Just check the website Zepman, it will also be in the media. Its a huge job so I'm guessing it may take some time to replace them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have NCT booked for this weekend on a car that's in test for the next 2 months.
    Wonder if they'll give an option to defer until all can be done at once. Doesn't make any sense to me going twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Avns1s wrote: »
    Have NCT booked for this weekend on a car that's in test for the next 2 months.
    Wonder if they'll give an option to defer until all can be done at once. Doesn't make any sense to me going twice.

Nct passed this morning including the use of lift in dublin. could be a while before they certify or replace all existing lifts.

Just check the website Zepman, it will also be in the media. Its a huge job so I'm guessing it may take some time to replace them all.

Yeah that's what the tester told me to do. I'll be bookmarking the website and checking it every few hours, everyday. :D

So this just means I let the old disc stay on the windshield even after it expires (in about 10 days) and also keep the current "fail" certificate in the glove box at all times?

I already had problems booking the NCT in the first place with my car reg showing up as "scrapped" in their system. Took a couple of days to sort that out.
    Now this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 reach for the stars

Are they going to compensate people for the time , fuel and trouble of having to attend twice because of their faulty lifts.

Nct passed this morning including the use of lift in dublin. could be a while before they certify or replace all existing lifts.

Mine was in Dublin too half an hour ago. The tester told me they stopped using the lift just around 5pm. Darned luck. :(

Are they going to compensate people for the time , fuel and trouble of having to attend twice because of their faulty lifts.

Contact them and ask I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Obviously the answer to this is no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Had a re test today at 535 check in at 530 all grand then called out at 535 and told lift was broke and I would have to rebook...... ballymun2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This won't be good for the trade.

Hard to sell a car with a half NCT.

Will also affect re-tests due from failures over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Ffs, next insurers won't cover you or will load you for this worthless half completed test result, joke of a country that they are allowed do this. Surely their own machinery is subject to annual inspection to detect faults. Their current contract is up in July 2020. The 10 year contract is worth €700 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Ffs, next insurers won't cover you or will load you for this worthless half completed test result, joke of a country that they are allowed do this. Surely their own machinery is subject to annual inspection to detect faults. Their current contract is up in July 2020. The 10 year contract is worth €700 million.

What do you propose they do about a lift with structural defects?? Would you go in under a jeep on a lift with cracks in it??

• Advertisement
    M

What do you propose they do about a lift with structural defects?? Would you go in under a jeep on a lift with cracks in it??

Exempt everyone who presents at the NCT until a time when they have their lifts sorted and fine Applus 20% of this years contract for incompetence in not inspecting their own machinery and maintaining a safe workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Surely their own machinery is subject to annual inspection to detect faults.

I believe these lifts crack from the inside out, so it isn't noticed until it's in a dangerous state.

Interesting if it is the MAHA scissors lifts as plenty of private workshops with NCT bays use the same equipment. This could extend to half the industry and not just NCT's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

They've had these lifts for years and a million cars have been up them. Without incident. Could they not have investigated a bit further before shutting them all down?

M

Liveline will have enough material until March.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

joke of a country that they are allowed do this.

What an absolute Karen of a reaction. The news is less than 4 hours old, but we live in a joke of a country, the reaction is a tad dramatic and hysterical. I'm sure somebody somewhere is working on a plan, but an immediate action is needed for health and safety purposes. It may suck, but it happens.

Any word on the DOE? Is it affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

Just got a text that my retest appointment for this evening cancelled! God knows when they'll be back testing.
    So if I get stopped next week with out of date NCT could I get points!?

So what do you think should happen? Allow staff to work with dangerous equipment while they replace them? Lucky it was spotted before someone was injured or killed under one. And god forbid someone's car was destroyed because there would be another thread abusing the NCT

Really glad I got my retest done on Monday :pac:

• Advertisement
    M

delly wrote: »
    What an absolute Karen of a reaction. The news is less than 4 hours old, but we live in a joke of a country, the reaction is a tad dramatic and hysterical. I'm sure somebody somewhere is working on a plan, but an immediate action is needed for health and safety purposes. It may suck, but it happens.

I suppose it's only a €700million contract, the terms and conditions are probably wrote on the back of a pack of smokes.

M

So what do you think should happen? Allow staff to work with dangerous equipment while they replace them? Lucky it was spotted before someone was injured or killed under one. And god forbid someone's car was destroyed because there would be another thread abusing the NCT

Just to do 1 test, either that the lift part of the test is exempt for this round of testing or that the car is exempt from NCT until full testing resumes, having to attend twice should result in compensation for time wasted.

Just got a text that my retest appointment for this evening cancelled! God knows when they'll be back testing.
    So if I get stopped next week with out of date NCT could I get points!?

Exactly my question and this doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.

What should I do after Feb 10th after my current NCT expires? Should I keep the "fail" NCT cert from today in the car and explain everything if I am stopped with the out-of-date disc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

zepman wrote: »
    I can confirm that. Sitting outside the NCT centre at the moment. My car just finished the test and passed everything, but the lift inspection wasn't done. So I have to return at a later date for that.

No idea if I'll be contacted or if I have to keep checking their website and make a booking myself.

Did you get a cert,or anything from them to keep 50 off your back

They should postpone the tests until the issue is sorted. But God forbid they would interrupt the flow of nct fees coming in.

They must think people have nothing better to do than bring their cars for repeat visits to the nct.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I suppose it's only a €700million contract, the terms and conditions are probably wrote on the back of a pack of smokes.

€700k, €700 mil or the $18 billion, it doesn't matter the value, if a risk is identified with a piece of kit, then they need to do their due diligence on the inspection process to ensure everyone's safety. BTW that last figure is how much Boeing's recent issue is costing them, of course they could have saved the second plane from crashing and all the lives that were lost, but someone over there decided to gamble and lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote: »
    They've had these lifts for years and a million cars have been up them. Without incident. Could they not have investigated a bit further before shutting them all down?

Only needs to collapse on one unlucky ****er.

M

Will the government force insurers to cover cars which can't now obtain an NCT? Will I have to park the car up now for months?

From my policy...
    You must take all reasonable steps to prevent accident, injury, loss or damage. While unattended, the car must not be left unlocked, or the keys to the ignition left with or in the car or windows or sunroof left open. You must ensure the car is kept in a roadworthy condition, which includes ensuring that the tread depth on your car tyres are within the legal limits and if required that your car has a current and valid National Car Test (NCT) certificate. You must ensure the car is properly compliant with all Road Traffic legislation at all times.

Did you get a cert,or anything from them to keep 50 off your back

I did get a receipt and even a report. Passed everything but still a "FAIL" because of the lift inspection not being done.

NCT-cert-no-lift-inspection.jpg

M

So you will now be driving aroung in a car with failed NCT despite the fact the test which it failed on was never completed, how is that right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

zepman wrote: »
    I did get a receipt and even a report. Passed everything but still a "FAIL" because of the lift inspection not being done.

Thats a bit Irish alright. Wouldnt be surprised if that procedure changes before the end of the week and they are prohibited from issuing Fails like that. What should be issued is a 'Test in Progress' page or something that counts as an extension to the pretest status until the final bit is done whenever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,714 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Only needs to collapse on one unlucky ****er.

What's the chance of hurt because of a lift failing vs the chance of hurt because of the unsafe cars that will now still drive around because the NCT hasn't taken them off the road?

Why not have bays built in, walk under, no risk as vehicle doesn't have to be lifted....

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭alentejo

This seems all very unfair on the poor punter. If NCT equipment cant be used, cars should auto pass the elements which cant be checked.

I would be raging if I had to take another half day off work to get my car checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

What a load of crap. Up north, aren't they issuing exemption certificates until the lift problem is resolved?

From information above, here it looks like you won't be able to legitimately pass an NCT and have a valid disc until NCTS fix/replace the lifts.

What will happen with those that will be out of date.

Will the law still apply as there is only black and white.... Law states no vehicle can be driven on a public road or place without a valid test.

The fine and points are high too.

They need to clarify this.

Why not have bays built in, walk under, no risk as vehicle doesn't have to be lifted....

These particular lifts allow the weight of the car to be taken off the wheels for some parts of the inspection and can also be used to flex the suspension and steering. It's more than a static visual testing tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

delly wrote: »

IMO it doesn't just happen. This could and should have been prevented by proper safety checks and non-destructive testing.

It's no surprise to see fatigue cracks on a piece of equipment that lifts and then shakes hundreds of cars each week. Ironically, the very thing they're checking the cars for.

The company practically have a licence to print money, they still don't spend the cash to do proper checks, and the public suffer again.

The fact that a tester could be killed by lift collapsing in no way excuses the closure and disruption to thousands of motorists.

The suspension testing is done on the lift, right?

Given that we're legally required to have valid NCT certs, I would absolutely love to see verified data which proves that a cracked lift could not cause a bad car to pass or good car to fail the suspension testing.

That will never be asked for of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

They need to walk around the car too. If it was a pit, testers would fall into it.

What will happen with those that will be out of date.

Will the law still apply as there is only black and white.... Law states no vehicle can be driven on a public road or place without a valid test.

The fine and points are high too.

They need to clarify this.

Thought I had found the answer here, but it's far from it. :(
    What will happen if people are stopped by the Gardai and they don’t have a valid NCT displayed because of this issue?

The RSA have made the Gardaí aware of the issue and is liaising with them on any potential issues arising. All vehicle owners are reminded that the roadworthiness of their vehicle is their responsibility at all times not just at the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Part of the suspension test is on the twin rollers and pads for bouncy bouncy shock tests,ramp will check balljoint and bushing wear and see state of corroded brake lines and other stuff.
    Working in a garage we get an annual test on ramps,compressor and jacks.We had a fail on one ramp due to cabling splinters which required new cable and was done yesterday.
    How many places dont get vetted and have had accident,i heard yesterday 3 lads under a car checking something and they walked away to get something when car dropped to the ground as secondary fail safe wore out.

Pits are bad and dangerous as a few people got trapped when car went on fire but cannot test other things as mentioned before.
    From the amount of testing these ramps of up and down shaking and other things do it was only a matter of time when this happened.

You could pretend your going to the hospital and end up on a trolley for days!

• Advertisement
Advertisement