Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mickdw wrote: »
    We could soon return to Mclaren with mercedes works engine
    deal being front runners.

Yeah that would be great and definitely could happen. Could also see Racing point take a step forward with their copy of last year's mercedes. I'd be more hopeful of them being close to the top 3 and able to compete with some of the top 3 occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah that would be great and definitely could happen. Could also see Racing point take a step forward with their copy of last year's mercedes. I'd be more hopeful of them being close to the top 3 and able to compete with some of the top 3 occasionally.

Perez will certainly be mixing it well with Albon at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Norris taking on celebs/drivers/fans and others in 5 lap shootouts...

https://www.twitch.tv/landonorris/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Ian Poulter was given a 20 second head start and would have just won only for stopping after 4 laps thinking it was over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Been watching some of Lando's streams, he comes across a likeable guy, if a little annoying. He was part of the Twitch Stream Aid yesterday and said if he got $10,000 in donations, he'd shave his head - he's now waiting on delivery of the clippers

• Advertisement

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Been watching some of Lando's streams, he comes across a likeable guy, if a little annoying. He was part of the Twitch Stream Aid yesterday and said if he got $10,000 in donations, he'd shave his head - he's now waiting on delivery of the clippers

Cones across as a good lad, lando. Doesn't come across as a ruthless world champion right now but he could develop.

I have to say I like him and would support him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Helmut Marko comes across as a complete idiot here.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/52091905

In good news for F1: the teams are working on making equipment to help with the pandemic. Mercedes has helped make a breathing apparatus.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-mercedes-helps-develop-breathing-aid-as-f1-teams-join-ventilators-effort-11965584

The teams are loading money so it will help keep them afloat during this period. Win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

kksaints wrote: »

Can anyone name a time when he doesn’t come across as one?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Inviere

kksaints wrote: »

What a cold human being. I'd hate to work for someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Inviere wrote: »

Cold but maybe realistic.
    If involved in a business that is hoping to travel the world as soon as possible mixing with thousands, it would seem sensible to have drivers who were immune.
    Looking at various simulations, a large proportion of the population will end up getting this before it is eradicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Cold but maybe realistic.
    If involved in a business that is hoping to travel the world as soon as possible mixing with thousands, it would seem sensible to have drivers who were immune.
    Looking at various simulations, a large proportion of the population will end up getting this before it is eradicated.

Also a lot of people will die and some of the survivors will have lasting lung damage unable to pro sport again. As team boss do you expose your best drivers to this virus on purpose knowing of this?

Harika wrote: »
    Also a lot of people will die and some of the survivors will have lasting lung damage unable to pro sport again. As team boss do you expose your best drivers to this virus on purpose knowing of this?

Yes. Considering all the sponsorship with they have to do, hands to shake and posing for photos with people. They’re absolutely bound to get it at some point.

There’s a good chance that those who’ve had it will be the first allowed back out to work and those who haven’t had it will be kept sheltered. If they haven’t had it before the season restarts then they might not be able to do the sponsorship work. I’m not advocating for HM. Obviously The drivers shouldn’t be encouraged to get it on purpose.

Harika wrote: »

You would be a brave man to suggest it no doubt and i would not be volunteering to be infected with this but i can see where he is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Inviere

You would be a brave man to suggest it

Brave...I could think of other words to describe him. Was he himself to be included in this 'camp'? I suppose no because he's too high a risk given his age....of course no young & healthy people have died from this virus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,670 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What a crazy and stupid idea. I am glad it did not happen. Just because they are young and healthy does not mean this virus could not kill one of them or one all of them even. We still have no idea why some people die from it and other's recover. There was a perfectly young healthy Woman in the UK who got it and died from it.

Then he tries to look for sympathy

Marko said he suspected he had already had the coronavirus in February, but that because of limited testing availability in Austria he could not be sure.

"I had what I thought was a severe cold and the symptoms would match corona," he said. "It was also something that I had never had in this intensity.

"I don't know if it was because the test options are currently very limited. But as soon as there is a chance, I would like to be tested afterwards."

I wonder can you test for something after someone has had it like the flu or a virus?

I doubt it was the Coronavirus he had.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

AMKC wrote: »
    I wonder can you test for something after someone has had it like the flu or a virus?

A coronavirus antibody test will be available soon. It will be very useful for health workers, less so for rich, privileged tw@ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

He seemed to forget that just because you survive doesn't mean it wouldn't do damage to your lungs.
    It could leave the young drivers with breathing difficulties rendering it near impossible to deal with the intense physical requirements for racing at the top level

Killinator wrote: »
    He seemed to forget that just because you survive doesn't mean it wouldn't do damage to your lungs.
    It could leave the young drivers with breathing difficulties rendering it near impossible to deal with the intense physical requirements for racing at the top level

Them getting it now would give him time to replace them if they’re damaged. The guy seems like a complete goon on account of this. Maybe it was just a joke gone wrong but if he actually thinks that way, then he’s a wrong’n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,403 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Inviere wrote: »

If I worked for him I wouldn't take medical advice from him, mainly because he's a Doctor of Law.

I'd say the contract would be pretty water tight though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Is anyone doing anything F1 related like watching old races etc while there is no F1 live at the moment? I'm getting my fix from reading Autosport every now and then. That will do for me now.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Is anyone doing anything F1 related like watching old races etc while there is no F1 live at the moment? I'm getting my fix from reading Autosport every now and then. That will do for me now.

I listened to the Missed Apex podcast with Gemma Hatton, former Pirelli and Manor F1 tyre engineer and deputy editor of Racecar Engineering.

As usual the guest was excellent. The host is a nobhead. You need to get past his terrible gamer-banter to get to the guest. Good episode though. They have Matt Carter coming up next (former Lotus team principal). He’s good too. He’s completely out of the sport now so he just tells you what he knows about how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If this guy did not see or observe the amount of risk he will give to his or to his employees loved ones. He is extremely foolish to suggest that trying to avoid the risks of obtaining the virus would be a good move for his team. People thinking outside of his own head have done well to ignore his advice. Good on them.

Them getting it now would give him time to replace them if they’re damaged. The guy seems like a complete goon on account of this. Maybe it was just a joke gone wrong but if he actually thinks that way, then he’s a wrong’n

I can see a not too distant future where people who have successfully fought the virus are in the stronger position. Everyone else needing to be restricted for along time to come even when things are back up and moving.
    Any business or factory or f1 team where the staff are imune would have to be in a strong position.
    Maybe not Dr markos idea of purposely infecting but certainly people who have gone through it may well be the new healthy in terms of being sought after by employers etc.
    How outrageous is it to think that employers in critical industry would be allowed to seek covid imune personnel? Or could covid imune staff be much better for international travel for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

Playing F1 on Xbox :D

I can see a not too distant future where people who have successfully fought the virus are in the stronger position. Everyone else needing to be restricted for along time to come even when things are back up and moving.
    Any business or factory or f1 team where the staff are imune would have to be in a strong position.
    Maybe not Dr markos idea of purposely infecting but certainly people who have gone through it may well be the new healthy in terms of being sought after by employers etc.
    How outrageous is it to think that employers in critical industry would be allowed to seek covid imune personnel? Or could covid imune staff be much better for international travel for example?

Yeah there’s a great chance that people who are immune will be the first ones allowed back to work. And then supply of labour would probably be lower than demand for all kinds of roles.

Still wouldn't advocate anyone else gets the disease on purpose though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Watched the 98 Australian and Brazilian grand prix over the last few days. Had kinda forgotten that season so thought I'd take the chance to have a look. Couple of points:

- Mclaren's dominance was mental, am keen to see more of this season to understand how Schumi got into contention for the Championship.
    - Overtaking very hard even at this point, very few overtakes in Aus, as bad as same race in 2019. Director was useless in Brazil, feel he missed a few, but interesting to see Schumacher cruised up behind Frentzen early on in the race and didn't get a sniff of passing him.
    - watching these made me realise how great the TV graphics are these days, much more info provided to the viewer. Team radio is a great addition as well.
    - What was the pit speed limit at time? Looks like the cars were flying down the pit lane.

Going to keep this season, keen to build up a picture of what the sport was like then compared to now. I know a lot of people view this era as being superior to current day F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Watched the 98 Australian and Brazilian grand prix over the last few days. Had kinda forgotten that season so thought I'd take the chance to have a look. Couple of points:

- Mclaren's dominance was mental, am keen to see more of this season to understand how Schumi got into contention for the Championship.
    - Overtaking very hard even at this point, very few overtakes in Aus, as bad as same race in 2019. Director was useless in Brazil, feel he missed a few, but interesting to see Schumacher cruised up behind Frentzen early on in the race and didn't get a sniff of passing him.
    - watching these made me realise how great the TV graphics are these days, much more info provided to the viewer. Team radio is a great addition as well.
    - What was the pit speed limit at time? Looks like the cars were flying down the pit lane.

Going to keep this season, keen to build up a picture of what the sport was like then compared to now. I know a lot of people view this era as being superior to current day F1.
    Pit lane was 120 then reduced to 80 in the mid 2000's. I've been watching classic f1 on youtube and another thing I forgot was how you used to be able to release cars in front of others in the pit lane without risk of unsafe release penalties

I watched the 2001 canada race last night, and agree with the overtaking or lack thereof comment. The only overtake was done by the pit stops and schumi/ferrari were masters at it!

It's clear to me that in 2000 ferrari did not have the best car, and it was a toss up between williams and ferrari for second best behind mclaren in 2001- depending on how the tyres suited the track

I watched 4 full races including buildup on saturday, "old" F1 (ie late 90's early 2000's - which was when I became super interested, from '95-'96 on) is like a different formula to now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mercedes to pull out of F1 immediately. More to follow...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement